Samsung PN51F5300 – What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 664 Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I've learned a lot about the subject since I joined AVS in 2009 and I'd say there is still plenty that goes above my head, especially the more advanced and technical stuff (like theories and the color science aspect of it).

Thanks for you contributions on this thread and on matters of calibration throughout the AVS forums. I find your commentary most instructive.

I have the Disney WOW disk but haven't spent much time with it ... guess it's time to dig in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 664 Old 04-24-2014, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can someone on here that watches alot of letterbox bluray movies tell me if IR or uneven ageing is a problem. Im nervous about watching anything with black bars which in turn is limiting my veiwing pleasure with this tv. Its my first plasma so im very nervous about it. I have almost maybe 500 hours give or take 100 hours. Any response is appreciated. Thanks
post #363 of 664 Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
This plasma gets plenty of short term (harmless) ir but it goes away fast on its own with varied content and even though I game on it constantly and watch movies with black bars often I've never had stubborn ir in the 900 hours I used the set so far. I never needed to run any ir removal measures ever either.
Plasma5300 likes this.
post #364 of 664 Old 04-25-2014, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

This plasma gets plenty of short term (harmless) ir but it goes away fast on its own with varied content and even though I game on it constantly and watch movies with black bars often I've never had stubborn ir in the 900 hours I used the set so far. I never needed to run any ir removal measures ever either.
Sounds good! I just watched Ride Along, about a 2 hour movie , it has black bars an afterwards I couldnt see any ir. I guess I can try to start resting easy
post #365 of 664 Old 04-25-2014, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PN60F5300AFXZA refurb original build March 2013. I'd like to know how to access the hours on this unit. Overall it's a good value for the coins though it has issues w/ABL that isn't limited to hockey games. It also has issues interpreting pinstripes, wrought iron railing, herringbone pattern or auto grilles. On the ABL issue I've noticed shimmering hair from major networks lady newscasters when direct light bounces off of their hairdo. Certain metallic patterns on blouses as on the Golf Channel LPGA has the same shimmering effect.

Also Food network Racheal Ray 30 minute kitchen, Spanish Surf and Turf season 25 episode 8, has small 1" green tile w/white grout counter top/sink/stove/ fridge backdrop up to cabinets and it's lit by among other things the hanging stove exhaust fan/light. Although naturally the tile is static the processor apparently cannot decide/make it it's mind on the display and this switching/shimmering/flickering gives the illusion of movement. You can see the same tile from this episode three years prior, last of three overed on Hulu, except the exhaust fan light is off. This highlights the ABL combined w/certain geometric patterns that the set has issues displaying properly.

I tried Wills movie setting and other's in dynamic & there's a lot of pop, but I've settled in on standard as it seems to help cut down on some of the shimmering. I also saw a short piece that included a single rectangle ceiling light suspended in grid work positioned about center of the screen and it was flashing/shimmering fairly profusely. The scene was a large bay/shop w/that single light. I've not seen that again and didn't note the show.

I think the higher resolution shows are better represented, but when it has issues w/certain shapes/patterns I see the wavy moire rear it's ugly head. This is what initially attracts my attention. Of course now I'm looking for cues.

Lots of colour and as a rule sharper than my mediocre cable signal. It would be nice if the ABL could ease into brightness change instead of an abrupt/intense on/off. This replaced a panny TC-P50X1 as main room viewing and even at 720 & 5 yrs of constant running it still maintains the best view. That's disregarding the ABL issue. Some of that conclusion might be attributed to the signal strength from my cable provider Fidelity. Even when I watched SD it was in actuality sub-standard on many channels lacking uniformity of clean signal.

It is easy now w/1080i to assess the resolution of various channels, remote feeds, live & zoom shots.

ETA: I'm warching NBC news/Today. Take a peek at the shot of the overturned South Korean ferry. Especially the vertical bars of the railing aft/right of the screen. Does yours dance?

I've posted more here if interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476482/samsung-pn60f5300-calibration-settings/180#post_24637968

Post 189
post #366 of 664 Old 04-25-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Some of those issues are explained by the pentile pixel structure on the 60 inch model
post #367 of 664 Old 04-25-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixterdemus View Post

I've posted more here if interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476482/samsung-pn60f5300-calibration-settings/180#post_24637968

For starters, I would suggest turning your sharpness way, way down.

post #368 of 664 Old 04-25-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwasi View Post

For starters, I would suggest turning your sharpness way, way down.

NBCSN Mecum Auctions live. After the reserve is met they push the car off the red carpet onto a black checkered floor outlined w/red checkered flooring. OMG, moire & ABL trip the light fandango. Backing off sharpness to 25 eased up on the light show quite a bit. Thanks for the tip.
post #369 of 664 Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Some of those issues are explained by the pentile pixel structure on the 60 inch model

I don't intend to dog the 60" sammy. It has strength in colour/blacks and the contrast seems fairly tight when viewing a good signal/quality production from a major network in 1080i. Poor signal/old sitcom or heaven forbid a Made for TV movie from the early eighties and I see shades of rear projection. However, I don't expect to take a budget production in SD and work magic.

My biggest issue is the lack of a constant quality signal from Fidelity cable. As a rule the major network signal allows this display to show good detail. Had I invested any time in research I might well have picked up the 51F5300, but being a product of the fifties, and incorporating this screen into an open kitchen/den combo, I'm happy w/the view. I've only had it for a week & I'm still playing w/adjustments. From the table at 30' I can still make out the time/temp display from the local news. The black display box is 1" tall and the numbers are 3/4". That's really decent resolution & contrast.
post #370 of 664 Old 04-28-2014, 03:05 PM

ABT has the PN51F5300 for $628 right now with free shipping and no tax for most. Here's the link. You might have to log in and place the item in your cart to see the price. That's the best deal I've seen on it for a while ... unclear from the listing whether it's an AF or BF model.

post #371 of 664 Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 PM

Liked: 12
Is Samsung going to re-release/improve this model for 2014, or just keep producing the same tv/panel?
post #372 of 664 Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMueller10 View Post

Is Samsung going to re-release/improve this model for 2014, or just keep producing the same tv/panel?

The 2014 sets have different panel numbers (eg. TS02), and the new model numbers end in BFXZA (as opposed to AFXZA for the 2013 line). They ship with different firmware, as well, which alters a few items on the user interface menus. Other than that, it's basically the same TV.

post #373 of 664 Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 PM

am i supposed to turn off dynamic contrast and black tone?

post #374 of 664 Old 04-30-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyo1monkey3 View Post

am i supposed to turn off dynamic contrast and black tone?

General consensus says yes, leave them off.

post #375 of 664 Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

The 2014 sets have different panel numbers (eg. TS02), and the new model numbers end in BFXZA (as opposed to AFXZA for the 2013 line). They ship with different firmware, as well, which alters a few items on the user interface menus. Other than that, it's basically the same TV.

Did the 2014 line begin in February? Mine was manufactured in January 2014 and is an AF.

post #376 of 664 Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post

Did the 2014 line begin in February? Mine was manufactured in January 2014 and is an AF.

I'm not sure precisely when BF replaced AF. My current, exchange set is BF manufactured March 2014. 

post #377 of 664 Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 PM

So i'm looking to buy my first large screen TV, and being a PC gamer I am tired of the crappy black quality of LCDs, and so i'm going for a plasma. I have zero need for 3d/smart features, as any smart functions will be handled by my PC. So looking around the F5300 looks right up my alley for price, but looking around at reviews and comments from early in this thread raise some questions, sorry if they've been asked individually before, I just wanted my concerns in 1 place.

I'm 80% getting the set to watch NHL Ice Hockey, the other 20% for switching PC output to the TV for larger viewing of movies/tv/anime and possibly games but probably not. Some early posts and comments on the web have talked about problems the set has with predominantly white scenes. Is this problem still a prevalent issue?

I'm wanting the 60 inch size, but have read that the 60 inch uses pentile pixel structure (while the normal RGB is in the 51/64). The likely location for the TV is either going to be on the wall immediately to the left of my PC monitor, or immediately above it (angled down 15-25 degrees). While reclined at the desk, this has me 4 1/2 feet away from where the screen would be. While this is not where I would normally be when primarily watching intended TV content (i.e. mentioned hockey/movies), there are times where I will likely want to have something playing on the TV while doing some typing or other PC related stuff. Is the pentile structure as noticable and detrimental compared to the standard structure at such distances?

Thanks for your time.

post #378 of 664 Old 04-30-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:

ABT has the PN51F5300 for $628 right now with free shipping and no tax for most. Here's the link. You might have to log in and place the item in your cart to see the price. That's the best deal I've seen on it for a while ... unclear from the listing whether it's an AF or BF model.

Great price. No display better for the size and money, period.
gus738 likes this.

post #379 of 664 Old 05-01-2014, 07:53 AM

Hey guys. I'm back in the display market. I currently have a 42'' Sharp 60Hz LCD from 2006. Looking to upgrade.

I'm interested in the 51'' of this set. I mainly watch NHL playoffs, then stream netflex/amazon movies from my PS3. Couple questions:

1) Has anyone watched some NHL on this set? How does it look, considering a lot of the screen is white (ice)? Plasmas are supposed to be good for hockey/sports, right?
2) The room this is going in faces south, and has plenty of windows on two sides of the wall. Will I have an issue with reflection/screen brightness?
3) To combat #2, can I simply have "regular" setting for evening/dark and "dynamic/bright" for daytime?

It's $650 at BB. Wondering if it's worth the price. But I'd like a bigger TV for the rest of the NHL playoffs.

TYIA,
post #380 of 664 Old 05-01-2014, 09:05 AM

Hello all. I'm in the market for a new tv, no thanks to my 2 year old for shotgunning his sippy cup into my plasma I purchased last year.

This model interests me, and it fits my budget. But I have one hangup on it: everything I've read outside of here on it, suggests that the input lag is deal breaker for gaming.

Does anyone have any input on this? I liked what I saw in the store, but if it's terrible for online gaming, I'm going to have to pass.

To clarify, I'm looking at model PN51F5300AFXZA.

post #381 of 664 Old 05-01-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiz0 View Post

I'm 80% getting the set to watch NHL Ice Hockey, the other 20% for switching PC output to the TV for larger viewing of movies/tv/anime and possibly games but probably not. Some early posts and comments on the web have talked about problems the set has with predominantly white scenes. Is this problem still a prevalent issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaF17 View Post

1) Has anyone watched some NHL on this set? How does it look, considering a lot of the screen is white (ice)? Plasmas are supposed to be good for hockey/sports, right?
2) The room this is going in faces south, and has plenty of windows on two sides of the wall. Will I have an issue with reflection/screen brightness?
3) To combat #2, can I simply have "regular" setting for evening/dark and "dynamic/bright" for daytime?

It's $650 at BB. Wondering if it's worth the price. But I'd like a bigger TV for the rest of the NHL playoffs.

My advice to you hockey fans is, purchase from a retailer with a generous return/exchange policy. Sports programming accounts for much of my cable TV viewing but I don't watch hockey games. I see plenty of NHL highlights on Sports Center, though, and I do notice some ABL pop during the hockey segments on my 51F5300. How much this might bother you is entirely subjective. It seems to drive some people crazy, while it's no big deal to others. I will testify with certainty that football, basketball, baseball and golf look absolutely beautiful on my display and motion handling/ghosting is never an issue.

The best way to find out if brightness dimming an/or screen reflectivity are problematic for you is to take one home and watch it for a week or so. @Honda, I think $650 is a good value on the 51" from BB, especially when you factor in their return policy. As I posted here a couple of days ago, $628 delivered from ABT is the best price I can find on the 51F5300 right now.

A couple of friends have taken up evening residence at my place because they want to watch the NBA playoffs on my set.

post #382 of 664 Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 AM

I just noticed on Slickdeals that Walmart has the PN60F5300 (60") for $728 at some stores. At my local store, however, it's listed at $798. This deal, where available, is for in-store pickup only.

If you're interested, here's a link to the Slickdeals thread.

Edit: Best Buy might price match this offer, worth a try.

post #383 of 664 Old 05-01-2014, 03:22 PM

Why is it they only have two HDMI inputs?
post #384 of 664 Old 05-01-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg68 View Post

Cost I guess, but if you have a Home theater Receiver you will be ok. Mine is still running good since Dec(made in oct.).

post #385 of 664 Old 05-01-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg68 View Post

Don't let the lack of HDMI ports deter you. Inexpensive splitters are easily available if you need more inputs.

gus738 likes this.
post #386 of 664 Old 05-01-2014, 08:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Quote:

I just noticed on Slickdeals that Walmart has the PN60F5300 (60") for $728 at some stores. At my local store, however, it's listed at $798. This deal, where available, is for in-store pickup only.

If you're interested, here's a link to the Slickdeals thread.

Edit: Best Buy might price match this offer, worth a try.

Another good option right now:  My local Costco has the PN60F5350(A) for $750, good until 5/17/2014.  Appears to be an in-store TV only.   Has anyone seen this same price at their local Costco?   FYI, I bought a PN60F5300 at Best Buy and they price-matched it today even though the model 'number' is not identical.

gus738 likes this.
post #387 of 664 Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DateRipper65 View Post

Another good option right now:  My local Costco has the PN60F5350(A) for $750, good until 5/17/2014.  Appears to be an in-store TV only.   Has anyone seen this same price at their local Costco?   FYI, I bought a PN60F5300 at Best Buy and they price-matched it today even though the model 'number' is not identical.

This deal is in Northern California also!
post #388 of 664 Old 05-02-2014, 07:15 AM

I bought a PN51F5300 from BB yesterday. They price matched ABT at $628 no problem. Have it home and set it up. As I mentioned my room is fairly large and faces south with windows south and east. My gut reaction tells me it is just too bright of a room as could see the glare yesterday. However, when it was dark, it sure did look good. Colors are also very nice, except the settings on the OP made the ice from hockey looked washed out. I kept the colors the same but reset the picture to default standard and it looks much better for hockey, IMO.

We will see, will give it an honest shot for 7-10 days but if glare is too big of an issue it'll go back.
post #389 of 664 Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaF17 View Post

Colors are also very nice, except the settings on the OP made the ice from hockey looked washed out. I kept the colors the same but reset the picture to default standard and it looks much better for hockey, IMO.

I found the default color settings on the BFXZA to be much, much better than on the AFXZA, so assuming you have a BF model you should be good to go. You might try switching Color Space between "native" and "auto" to see which setting suits you better.

post #390 of 664 Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 AM

I didn't get any feedback from my question posted above, so I figured I'd go direct to the source. Here's the chat transcript edited to take out the small talk:

Me: hello, I'm thinking about purchasing one of your sets. pn51f300afxza

Me: But I've heard games suffer from input lag on the unit. Has this been addressed, or will it be with any sort of update?

Yareli: Thankyou for choosing Samsung.

Me: Sorry, the model number is pn51f5300afxza

Yareli: Could you please hold for a few minutes while I gather the required information?

Yareli: Plasma TV's are best for gaming devices.  In order to reduce the lag while playing the game try to turn on Gaming MODE On on the TV.

Yareli: There are no officially reported issues with this Plasma TV. This Plasma TV is great for gaming.

Yareli: In case, if there are any reported  issues, Samsung does release firmware from time to time to address such issues.

Me: do you know by chance how many milliseconds that mode runs at? If I recall, one review stated game mode suffers a bit too for this model. The reason I asked is because it was one of the things mentioned in a few reviews. I was impressed with everything else about the tv however.

Me: I believe they stated it was somewhere are 70ms.

Yareli: The Plasma TV is best for gaming, Please be on hold while I gather the information related to response time.

Yareli: Samsung Plasma TV generates a frame of video at 600 times a second.

Yareli: I believe they stated it was somewhere are 70ms.

Yareli: These latest Plasma TVs come with repsonse time of 5ms - 8ms.

Me: so the pn51f5300afxza has 5-8ms of input lag?

Yareli: No it is the response time of the TV. However, when you turn on the Gaming Mode you will not find any lags on the TV.

Yareli: The Gaming mode is provided to remove all the lags in case of high frame rates.

Me: ok, I appreciate it. thanks.

Not sure why I couldn't get a direct answer. Do manufactures not test input lag for gaming?

ugh, I want this tv, but not if it's going to degrade my gaming experience.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page