Samsung PN51F5300 – What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #691 of 1420 Old 07-21-2014, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDWG View Post
Thanks for your response.
As of Sat. night Sears had the 5500 on their site for $549 but I didn't jump on it. I decided I wanted to get it Sunday morning and by then the site indicated "unavailable".
I suspect though that even if I had successfully put in an order, it may have been cancelled as they might not really had any available.

I'm probably going with a 5300 and am thinking about going with B&H Photo since they have it for $549 with free shipping and no sales tax (for my state). Guess I'll need to inspect it well immediately on arrival though.
As you can tell from this thread, lots of us love the 5300. Hope you enjoy yours as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1420 Old 07-21-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the pn60f5300 b panel and mine randomly goes black when mainly in HDMI port 2. Its not just ps4 my raspberry pi does the same thing. Tried different cables plugged everything in turned devices on before TV all the same affect when in port 2. The white sparkle still happens on the ps4 when in port 1 seems to only happen on all black screens. Everyone who has this issue a b panel?
post #693 of 1420 Old 07-21-2014, 10:40 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwasi View Post
Question for anyone who has viewed both the 60F5300 and the 51F5300:

Is the picture quality just as good on the 60" (pentile) model? (My typical viewing distance is approximately 9 feet.)

I already own the 51" and love it. Now I have an opportunity to pick up a used but nearly-new 60F5300 @ $620. Do it or screw it, that is the question.
If you've got a decent sized BB near you, I'd suggest takin a look at both. If you're sensitive to SDE, see how far away you have to stand from the 60" before it disappears. The 60" may also have more noticeable uniformity issues. I prefer the 51" because it's true 1080p, and also smaller. But they are both great TVs.

I found a really sweet deal on an open-box 768p 43F4500 over the weekend though, so I'm givin that a look now. Probably a little too much SDE for my taste, but since there hasn't been much movement on the 51F5300 recently, and it was less than half the cost, I had to give her a try. Aside from the SDE and more noticeable dithering, the 43F4500 looks pretty cherry so far.
Nikwasi likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-22-2014 at 02:39 PM.
post #694 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlhomer View Post
I have the pn60f5300 b panel and mine randomly goes black when mainly in HDMI port 2. Its not just ps4 my raspberry pi does the same thing. Tried different cables plugged everything in turned devices on before TV all the same affect when in port 2. The white sparkle still happens on the ps4 when in port 1 seems to only happen on all black screens. Everyone who has this issue a b panel?
I'm reasonably sensitive to SDE. I currently sit at 10.5 ft from the PN60F5300 and PQ is great. At 9 ft, I think you should also be fine, but you may notice some effects if using as an HTPC during regular PC type usage/web-browsing. At 9 ft, you should not notice any issues with regular videos, etc. But you probably wouldn't want to sit closer than 8ft if you have great eyesight and are sensitive to these things.
post #695 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I sit between 8-10 ft its barely noticeable really a non-issue to me I am more concerned with the random black cutouts, because I believe once that is fixed the white sparkles will too.

I tried adjusting settings picture mode, other settings I have turned on/off, ect. All I need to do is pause my raspberry pi when in port 2 and every 1-2 minutes it will cutout.

Seems port 1 really does not have any issues other than the white sparkles with the ps4, so getting a 4 port hdmi switch would not be out of the question, if it would limit the issues, since I do need at least 3 hdmi's. To me this seems like firmware issue.
post #696 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlhomer View Post
To me this seems like firmware issue.
To me it seems like a cable issue. Hope you find the right combination that works (with HDMI, it's often just a matter of luck). I recently had an problem that was fixed with a LONGER cable. Go figure.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #697 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Has anyone noticed a green and pink horizontal stripe a few inches from the bottom of the screen that goes from the left edge of the screen to the right edge of the screen? It shows up on uniform gray or white scenes/content. I think my F5300 has had this from day one (as did another F5300 I returned for 3 dead pixels in the middle of the screen) and I'm wondering if others have it too. All the talk about the pink tint on the right side of the screen made me wonder if my similar (but much more minor) issue is caused by the same thing.
post #698 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Has anyone noticed a green and pink horizontal stripe a few inches from the bottom of the screen that goes from the left edge of the screen to the right edge of the screen? It shows up on uniform gray or white scenes/content. I think my F5300 has had this from day one (as did another F5300 I returned for 3 dead pixels in the middle of the screen) and I'm wondering if others have it too. All the talk about the pink tint on the right side of the screen made me wonder if my similar (but much more minor) issue is caused by the same thing.
My 51" F5300 has a green stripe a few inches from the bottom as well, but it is very mild, and I have to really try hard to see it using white and grey slides. Since I don't spend my time staring at slides, it's not really an issue, and I decided it was trivial compared to the first one that I returned due to some screen uniformity issues and a twitchy blue sub pixel.

I'm reading about a lot of angst over the pink tint issue on the pentile 60" (one of several reasons I didn't consider the 60"), but the green stripe falls under the category of nit picking for me, at least for my specific case. Were I not a member of AVS Forums and had never heard of slides, I probably would have never even known it was there.
Broadus likes this.
post #699 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Scratch me from the "wait and see" category. I just bought a "spare" 51F5300BF from Best Buy (South Asheville store), open box excellent condition, for $455 tax included and free delivery. Thus my plasma insecurity is appeased, though now I must deal with the nattering buyer's remorse of purchasing a TV I don't really need right away.

This might be a regrettable decision, but I figure I can at least get my money back at the price point. I made the purchase over the phone, sight-unseen, but that doesn't bother me given BB's return policy. I live almost 2 hours from the store location, so delivery is a huge (and unexpected) plus with this deal.

So if you're in the market, you might want to check BB for open box deals now, while the price of new sets is discounted $100. And don't be shy about negotiating price and terms.

Last edited by Nikwasi; 07-22-2014 at 07:05 PM.
post #700 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just picked up the 51' version. I have 1003 firmware. Tried to upgrade to the 1027.2 update and it gets to the point where it asks if I want to install via USB and then says no valid updates found.

File is on the USB unzipped. I've tried with just the image folder on the USB and also with just the unzipped folder on it.

Any ideas?

New - Samsung 51F5300B / Old - Hitachi 42HDS69 w/ firmware v120
post #701 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 06:12 PM

Just scrolled back a few pages and sounds like I need to go to 1017 first and then 1027. Will try that.

post #702 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBadger View Post
Just scrolled back a few pages and sounds like I need to go to 1017 first and then 1027. Will try that.

Still not working. Weird. Maybe it's the USB.

post #703 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Still not working. Weird. Maybe it's the USB.
Firmware v.1003 is the current software for the 51F5300BFXZA, which I assume you have. Versions 1017 and 1027 are for AFXZA models only. No firmware update has yet been released for the newer BF sets.
post #704 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Scratch me from the "wait and see" category. I just bought a "spare" 51F5300BF from Best Buy (South Asheville store), open box excellent condition, for $455 tax included and free delivery. Thus my plasma insecurity is appeased, though now I must deal with the nattering buyer's remorse of purchasing a TV I don't really need right away.

This might be a regrettable decision, but I figure I can at least get my money back at the price point. I made the purchase over the phone, sight-unseen, but that doesn't bother me given BB's return policy. I live almost 2 hours from the store location, so delivery is a huge (and unexpected) plus with this deal.

So if you're in the market, you might want to check BB for open box deals now, while the price of new sets is discounted $100. And don't be shy about negotiating price and terms.
That is a really good price, especially with tax included and free delivery. Samsung's exiting the plasma television business is definitely your gain. Congratulations!
Nikwasi likes this.
post #705 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Firmware v.1003 is the current software for the 51F5300BFXZA, which I assume you have. Versions 1017 and 1027 are for AFXZA models only. No firmware update has yet been released for the newer BF sets.
That could be. My online order with Best Buy said it was the A model but I never bothered to check the box or TV

post #706 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
That could be. My online order with Best Buy said it was the A model but I never bothered to check the box or TV
The open-box set I bought today was listed online as AF, but a Geek Squad guy checked it for me and it turned out to be BF instead. Apparently BB hasn't updated their listings.
post #707 of 1420 Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
That is a really good price, especially with tax included and free delivery. Samsung's exiting the plasma television business is definitely your gain. Congratulations!
The free delivery was a nice surprise! I had asked if I might be able to pick up the set at a smaller BB store closer to my home, but for some reason they couldn't work that out. So instead they offered free home delivery. "Please don't twist my arm," I plead.

Another bonus: I scheduled delivery as late as possible, Aug. 2. That gives me some time to reflect on my foolishness and perhaps cancel the order if better judgement prevails.
post #708 of 1420 Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yes, it is hard to see but I noticed it watching "The Art of Flight" in a couple of scenes while looking for the pink tint issue which I do not have. I found the green and pink lines only show up under certain conditions where there is mostly white or light gray. I have the PN51F5300 2014 B version.

Last edited by schrock; 07-23-2014 at 09:36 AM.
post #709 of 1420 Old 07-23-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock View Post
Yes, it is hard to see but I noticed it watching "The Art of Flight" in a couple of scenes while looking for the pink tint issue which I do not have. I found the green and pink lines only show up under certain conditions where there is mostly white or light gray. I have the PN51F5300 2014 B version.
Yeah, I've seen the same thing whenever the content near the lines is of one color (or at least near part of the lines). Mine is the 2013 A version (also 51" F5300). It's annoying at times but since all of these sets seem to have stuff like this, not much I can do about it.
post #710 of 1420 Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Does anyone know if the stand from the F4500 would be compatible with the F5300? The built-in shelf in my basement is not deep enough for the stand for the 5300, but would work with the 4500 stand (as I would rather buy the 5300 for 1080p).
post #711 of 1420 Old 07-23-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yeah, I've seen the same thing whenever the content near the lines is of one color (or at least near part of the lines). Mine is the 2013 A version (also 51" F5300). It's annoying at times but since all of these sets seem to have stuff like this, not much I can do about it.
For those that have noticed the pink and green lines, how many operating hours does your tv have. I am somewhere around 100 hours and I watched "The Art of Flight" yesterday just to see if the lines were still there, and I swear they are even more faint than when I first noticed them, to the point where I can barely see them. It could also be because of a few settings I have changed (contrast, brightness and sharpness).
post #712 of 1420 Old 07-23-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just got the 51 inch version a few days ago from ABT. I got a BFXZA version. Here are my impressions so far:

1. Overall image: This is my first plasma. Coming from a 5 year old IPS LCD, the color and contrast is jaw dropping. Even older, SD content looks good because of the extra image pop. Plus, the image is way larger than a 32" inch screen (more so than I was expecting), which makes movies incredibly immersive. Just saw Tree of Life last night, and while I can't say I followed it all (where did the other brother go?) the picture was stunning.

The few nitpicks I'm still coming to terms with are

a. ABL (a rare issue when watching movies, but when it happens, it's quite a dramatic shift)

b. the black level rise on high APL content (I guess this is a known samsung bugaboo, though even at it's worst, the image is still better than my old TV)

c. Plasma flicker, which, unfortunately, I find myself somewhat susceptible to.

2. Image retention/burn in: While I haven't torture tested the set -- nor do I intend to -- I also made a conscious decision not to baby it.

I'm running on movie mode, with cell light at 20, high contrast (94), moderate brightness (45), and pixel orbiting off (wouldn't mind having it on, but it's grayed out in screen fit mode, and 16:9 has overscan, which I hate, so...).

I've watched full screen, 4:3, and windowboxed (black bars on all four sides) content. I use an htpc setup with mpc-hc being my main player. The only IR I've had so far is from the icons on the windows desktop and from watching the windowboxed and 4:3 content (about an 1 hour long each). In all cases, it has gone away almost immediately afterwards. I generally run the scroll bar a couple minutes before and after watching, just in case.

To sum up: I only watch about an hour a day of TV a day, never watch cable or broadcast, don't watch sports, and don't have much time anymore for games, so logos/scorebars/huds aren't an issue, and the longest this TV would ever be on would be 2-3 hours for an 'epic movie' (and that would be very infrequent). For what I intend to use it for, this is just about perfect, with the exception of the ABL and flicker issues, which I think I can get used to(though any suggestions on taming them would be appreciated).
post #713 of 1420 Old 07-23-2014, 10:06 PM

Liked: 18
Im wondering does the pn51f5300 have an anti glare or anti reflective coating? Im curious because I want to clean the screen and I dont want to screw something up. Thanks
post #714 of 1420 Old 07-23-2014, 11:11 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Welcome aboard tiamistiam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiamistiam View Post
c. Plasma flicker, which, unfortunately, I find myself somewhat susceptible to.
If you're comin from an LCD or CRT, the motion and flicker of a plasma may take some gettin used to. These displays are set insanely bright by default though, which may be contributing to your sensitivity.

The Cell Light setting of 20 is intended mainly for a brightly lit room during the day, or a showroom floor. For nighttime viewing, it can be set much lower, below 10, or even below 5, depending on your room lighting. Adjust so the display's brightness is comfortable for your eyes.

I recommend keeping some room illumination on at all times with these displays though, mostly around and behind the display, to help reduce eye fatigue and to improve the perceived black depth.

Quote:
I've watched full screen, 4:3, and windowboxed (black bars on all four sides) content. I use an htpc setup with mpc-hc being my main player. The only IR I've had so far is from the icons on the windows desktop and from watching the windowboxed and 4:3 content (about an 1 hour long each). In all cases, it has gone away almost immediately afterwards. I generally run the scroll bar a couple minutes before and after watching, just in case.
I haven't really noticed much transient image retention (IR) on these displays, but they are HIGHLY SUSCEPTIBLE TO PERMANENT BURN-IN, esp. when brand new, and esp. when using higher Cell Light settings.

Cell Light controls the brightness of the TV's menu system. And the higher it's set, the greater the chances are the menus will leave permanent burn-in. So don't linger in the menus too long, esp. when Cell Light is set high. And try to keep pillarboxed, letterboxed and windowboxed content to a minimum for at least a few months, or zoom it in so that it fills the whole screen. You've been advised.

Quote:
a. ABL (a rare issue when watching movies, but when it happens, it's quite a dramatic shift)
Maybe it's the particular settings I use, but I've rarely noticed any ABL on these displays. First thing you should do though is turn off the Energy Saving and Eco Sensor settings in the System/Eco Solution menu. And also turn off Dynamic Contrast and Motion Lighting in the Advanced Picture settings.

Quote:
b. the black level rise on high APL content (I guess this is a known samsung bugaboo, though even at it's worst, the image is still better than my old TV)
If you're using the Black Optimizer - Dark Room setting (which I recommend), then the MLL (minimum light levels) on the display will change slightly depending on the content. What you're seeing could be related to the other "dynamic" settings above though, and may go away once you turn them off.

Quote:
high contrast (94), moderate brightness (45)
Those are pretty good values to start with for standard video inputs. If you make changes to Cell Light or Gamma, then the Brightness setting may need some minor tweaking to keep blacks at MLL, and prevent shadow detail from being clipped or elevated. Typical range for me is between 45 and 55.

You may be able to run Contrast all the way up to 100 without noticeable clipping/discoloration near white with the lower Gamma settings, if you give those a try. But leaving it at 94 or 95 is also good. I recommend keeping the Contrast set as high as possible without clipping, and using the Cell Light control to reduce the display's overall brightness/peak whites, because lower Contrast settings will increase the appearance of dithering.

Also, if you like images on the contrastier side, then I suggest lowering the Gamma control a little in the Picture Options. I don't mind it set all the way down to -3 on some content, but that results in a pretty contrasty picture, and may crush a little too much shadow detail on some content, so I suggest trying either -1 or -2.

You can probably also drop the Sharpness control down a bit for high quality HD sources, esp. if you notice a fair amount of edginess in the content.

I also suggest turning off the MPEG Noise Reduction and Digital Clean View in the Picture Options, and setting Color Tone to Warm1. Warm2 is probably a little closer to D65, but it's not accurate, so I recommend erring on the cooler side and using Warm 1, unless or until you decide to do a White Balance calibration. Warm1 looks pretty good on most content I've watched.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-27-2014 at 12:06 AM.
post #715 of 1420 Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma5300 View Post
Im wondering does the pn51f5300 have an anti glare or anti reflective coating?
I hope not! Consult the manual for cleaning instructions though.

ADU
post #716 of 1420 Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Im wondering does the pn51f5300 have an anti glare or anti reflective coating? Im curious because I want to clean the screen and I dont want to screw something up. Thanks
I use this to clean my screen. It works great; doesn't smudge, streak or damage; and 16 oz. is enough to last a long time. A friend in the electronics service trade recommended it to me.
post #717 of 1420 Old 07-23-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I use this to clean my screen. It works great; doesn't smudge, streak or damage; and 16 oz. is enough to last a long time. A friend in the electronics service trade recommended it to me.
Ok thanks! Im worried about ruining the anti glare coating. Thats if this tv has it? Im not sure.But thank you. Ill check it out!
post #718 of 1420 Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks! Im worried about ruining the anti glare coating. Thats if this tv has it? Im not sure.But thank you. Ill check it out!
If there is a coating (don't think so) the cleaner does not affect it. I have "washed" mine at least a half dozen times. Be sure to turn off your set and let it cool down completely before you proceed.
post #719 of 1420 Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
If there is a coating (don't think so) the cleaner does not affect it. I have "washed" mine at least a half dozen times. Be sure to turn off your set and let it cool down completely before you proceed.
Ok cool. I made that mistake last night. I wiped it with a wet micro fiber cloth while it was on. Left streaks of water. Stupid I know. Haha 😥
post #720 of 1420 Old 07-24-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock View Post
For those that have noticed the pink and green lines, how many operating hours does your tv have. I am somewhere around 100 hours and I watched "The Art of Flight" yesterday just to see if the lines were still there, and I swear they are even more faint than when I first noticed them, to the point where I can barely see them. It could also be because of a few settings I have changed (contrast, brightness and sharpness).
Mine has 1,800 hours on it (rounded to the nearest hundred). I saw it from day one and it looks the same now. Also, I saw it on a another set (same model) which I returned due to dead pixels.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f5300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page