Samsung PN51F5300 – What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1387 Old 12-10-2013, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks. Ah mine is June 2013 got the old one dang lol. Did you buy it from Samsung directly Kurt?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1387 Old 12-10-2013, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nope, Best Buy.. yeah I was pretty surprised to see how new it was, they must have sold a lot when it went down to $530 that week.
post #63 of 1387 Old 12-10-2013, 08:38 PM

I guess we should get that update soon, hopefully. Got mine from B&H. I wonder if there is a hack to get the 3D and Wi-fi lol.

post #64 of 1387 Old 12-11-2013, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well any heads up? What should i do or not do setting this up,let warm room temp set in ect.
post #65 of 1387 Old 12-11-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelb73 View Post

Well any heads up? What should i do or not do setting this up,let warm room temp set in ect.

I didn't do anything special and my set looks fine, this set is incredibly resistant to image retention, haven't seen a tiny bit of it even after watching sports for hours.
post #66 of 1387 Old 12-11-2013, 07:57 AM

Thanks for info,its been so cold around here,just wanted to be safe.
post #67 of 1387 Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
That bothers me that there is a newer version of the Firmware than what they have available on their website.

I'm going to email Samsung support about that today.

I'm sure that will be a complete waste of my time.
post #68 of 1387 Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
TV's with auto-update have received new firmware, not us. I too contacted Samsung support and was told there's nothing for the 5300 series. No love for us, I guess...
post #69 of 1387 Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Is the 5300 series the new equivalent of the c7000? Or maybe the 5500? Reason I ask is that my 58c7000 has developed the dreaded pink banding...again. It's been replaced once and I told Samsung and the repair facility I'd like a new model instead of seeing them for the same problem in another 6-12mo. Seems like there should be another series btw the 8500 and 5500 just looking at the price difference. Any ideas?
post #70 of 1387 Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Is the 5300 series the new equivalent of the c7000? Or maybe the 5500? Reason I ask is that my 58c7000 has developed the dreaded pink banding...again. It's been replaced once and I told Samsung and the repair facility I'd like a new model instead of seeing them for the same problem in another 6-12mo. Seems like there should be another series btw the 8500 and 5500 just looking at the price difference. Any ideas?

Not really sure what the C7000 is/was but the F5300 has no smart features, no 3D, and is a pretty bare bones set outside of picture quality. The F5500 has the same panel (or at least I believe..) but has smart features and 3D and other features I'd guess (HDMI-CEC, more HDMI ports).

I was watching hockey again last night, I can get settings down to sort of limit the amount and strength of the flashes but the ice still gets very strange/loses detail. It's almost like an off white patches appear on the ice, wish a slightly green hue to it.

My PN680 3 years ago defiantly gets off white after a while but not quite as severe or ugly as this set sadly. Beginning to feel like it's going to be returned, but I'll give it another week or so to really see.
post #71 of 1387 Old 12-11-2013, 05:22 PM

Ran some slides today just for the heck of it for 3 hrs. I hope we get that Firmware update soon I'm jealous, wonder what 1024 updated?

post #72 of 1387 Old 12-12-2013, 09:55 AM

Not sure, doubt it's anything major.

Played some more games last night, everything seemed fine. Boderlands 2 looked great..

Also a helpful hint the 16:9 setting in picture size actually cuts some picture out, you want to use "fill screen" for the full picture. Sadly this option isn't available in PC mode, which I think has the least amount of input lag.
post #73 of 1387 Old 12-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I noticed this 'gem' tonight at BB and thinking about getting it as well. Anyone have any info on the video processing of this TV? Specifically the 1080p/24 processing and how well it handles judder, etc? Just can't find much technical info on it. Thanks.
post #74 of 1387 Old 12-12-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailjack View Post

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I noticed this 'gem' tonight at BB and thinking about getting it as well. Anyone have any info on the video processing of this TV? Specifically the 1080p/24 processing and how well it handles judder, etc? Just can't find much technical info on it. Thanks.

As far as I know the F5500 has the same panel/specs largely, the F5300 is basically the dumb version with no 3D, Smart features, less ports, etc.
post #75 of 1387 Old 12-12-2013, 08:27 PM

Liked: 11
wOriWS

The F5500’s main menu offers a basic set of options including Picture, Sound, Broadcasting,Network, Smart Features, System and Support but within these main choices are a large number of sub-menus.

post #76 of 1387 Old 12-12-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtangletn View Post

As far as I know the F5500 has the same panel/specs largely, the F5300 is basically the dumb version with no 3D, Smart features, less ports, etc.

Thanks.

This from the CNET review of the F5500. Kind of disheartening with respects to the 24p test. Can anyone confirm if it's as bad as they make it seem?
Quote:
The Samsung F5500 is very light-on when it comes to processing, and this is good news for gamers but bad news for movie fans. With a score of 38.8 milliseconds in gaming mode, this TV should give a great gaming experience, but by failing both our image processing tests, it means it's not a great movie screen. It failed the 24p test with too much judder in playback, while the 1080i test was subject to artifacting.
Quote:

1080p/24 Cadence (IAL) Fail Poor
1080i De-interlacing (film) Fail Poor
Motion resolution (max) 800 Average
Motion resolution (dejudder off) 800 Average
Input lag (Game mode) 38.8 Good
post #77 of 1387 Old 12-13-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

This from the CNET review of the F5500. Kind of disheartening with respects to the 24p test. Can anyone confirm if it's as bad as they make it seem?

I would go to the store and take a Bluray to check it out. Dark Knight looked fantastic on the my 51' and I'm very finicky. I don't play games so I can answer that.

post #78 of 1387 Old 12-13-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

I would go to the store and take a Bluray to check it out. Dark Knight looked fantastic on the my 51' and I'm very finicky. I don't play games so I can answer that.

Yeah, I think I'll have to spend some time at the store with a blu ray hooked up. I usually don't read too much into all those specs, but out of all the panels I've been looking at lately on CNet, those stats are BY FAR the worst. However, if there were a huge issue(s) with picture quality, I'm sure I would have read about it by now. That price is very appealing smile.gif And I'll be monitoring the ads this Sunday for any changes cool.gif Thanks!
post #79 of 1387 Old 12-13-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Yeah, I think I'll have to spend some time at the store with a blu ray hooked up. I usually don't read too much into all those specs, but out of all the panels I've been looking at lately on CNet, those stats are BY FAR the worst. However, if there were a huge issue(s) with picture quality, I'm sure I would have read about it by now. That price is very appealing smile.gif And I'll be monitoring the ads this Sunday for any changes cool.gif Thanks!

Let me know if you see any good deal on the 60" version tongue.gif
post #80 of 1387 Old 12-13-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:

You did miss the 51" for $530, hell BB was even doing a free $50 gift card ($10 for every $100) with in store pickup, plus you'd get $10 in reward zone coupons, so the TV averaged to be about $470, brand freaking new.

As far as gaming and regular motion (I haven't watch a BD on this yet), it looks great.. I should revise my earlier statements about it looking off, I think I had some partial screen door effect being a bit too close combined with viewing 720p/30fps games after about a year straight of PC gaming at 1080p/60fps+... most games I've played have looked great.

Motion is fantastic, no phosphor lags or any kind of distracting trails. I did the UFO test here http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting

Shocking at how clear that UFO was, you could see every detail as it moved, on my LCD it's a bit of a juddery mess.
post #81 of 1387 Old 12-13-2013, 10:08 AM

Kurt when is the hockey game on regular TV(No cable) so I can verify what you're saying.

post #82 of 1387 Old 12-13-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Kurt when is the hockey game on regular TV(No cable) so I can verify what you're saying.

I think the next game national game on NBC is New Year's, the outdoor game (Winter Classic)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyseason.htm?network=NBC

Sadly not too many games get nationally televised.
post #83 of 1387 Old 12-13-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:

You did miss the 51" for $530, hell BB was even doing a free $50 gift card ($10 for every $100) with in store pickup, plus you'd get $10 in reward zone coupons, so the TV averaged to be about $470, brand freaking new.

As far as gaming and regular motion (I haven't watch a BD on this yet), it looks great.. I should revise my earlier statements about it looking off, I think I had some partial screen door effect being a bit too close combined with viewing 720p/30fps games after about a year straight of PC gaming at 1080p/60fps+... most games I've played have looked great.

Motion is fantastic, no phosphor lags or any kind of distracting trails. I did the UFO test here http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting

Shocking at how clear that UFO was, you could see every detail as it moved, on my LCD it's a bit of a juddery mess.

Yeah, don't remind me. mad.gif I wasn't really in the market for a TV two weeks ago, but the house 'dynamic' has now changed. smile.gif I told my wife last night, "So now we're in the market and after looking at countless sets in person, the 51" Samsung Plasma looks the best, and it was the one with the best deal on BF." She just said "wow." I'm not expecting anything like the deal you got, but 24mo 0% financing is a pretty sweet deal right now. Seems like they alternate their good pricing vs. longer financincing. Hopefully I can view a blu ray in store on this thing and go from there.

When you guys are talking about hockey, are you talking about it since it's predominantly "white" on the screen? I just got back from BB and saw this panel along with the Panny ST60 and this thing can hold it's own. The only thing I noticed was the somewhat dimmer whites when compared to LCD, but that's a whole different conversation. And I'm afraid my wife will see this TV right next to an LCD and not even give this thing another look. So I was just wondering if you talk about hockey so much because of the white on screen a lot, maybe coupled with the fast motion?
post #84 of 1387 Old 12-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Yeah, don't remind me. mad.gif I wasn't really in the market for a TV two weeks ago, but the house 'dynamic' has now changed. smile.gif I told my wife last night, "So now we're in the market and after looking at countless sets in person, the 51" Samsung Plasma looks the best, and it was the one with the best deal on BF." She just said "wow." I'm not expecting anything like the deal you got, but 24mo 0% financing is a pretty sweet deal right now. Seems like they alternate their good pricing vs. longer financincing. Hopefully I can view a blu ray in store on this thing and go from there.

When you guys are talking about hockey, are you talking about it since it's predominantly "white" on the screen? I just got back from BB and saw this panel along with the Panny ST60 and this thing can hold it's own. The only thing I noticed was the somewhat dimmer whites when compared to LCD, but that's a whole different conversation. And I'm afraid my wife will see this TV right next to an LCD and not even give this thing another look. So I was just wondering if you talk about hockey so much because of the white on screen a lot, maybe coupled with the fast motion?

It's everything to do with the whites, the ABL (auto brightness limiter) kicks in and cuts brightness down on largely white screens. Outside of winter sports and hockey you usually never notice it. Though it's also apparent on the large white slides they use at BB and such.
post #85 of 1387 Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:

It's everything to do with the whites, the ABL (auto brightness limiter) kicks in and cuts brightness down on largely white screens. Outside of winter sports and hockey you usually never notice it. Though it's also apparent on the large white slides they use at BB and such.

Tell me about it. They love to flaunt their white backgrounds there. Everything looks great on this set, except when those bright white screens come on, and then you see it next to the LCDs... It doesn't bother me as I think the picture quality and further tuning makes up for it. I did notice the blues are a little softer as well, but for all I know that's how they're "supposed" to look. I guess that's when it comes down to accurate color representation.

Was it you that said you haven't watched a Blu ray yet? Just wondering how 1080p/24 movies look on this set. Also does it have any de-judder settings since it's not the best at reproducing the 1080/24 picture?
post #86 of 1387 Old 12-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Tell me about it. They love to flaunt their white backgrounds there. Everything looks great on this set, except when those bright white screens come on, and then you see it next to the LCDs... It doesn't bother me as I think the picture quality and further tuning makes up for it. I did notice the blues are a little softer as well, but for all I know that's how they're "supposed" to look. I guess that's when it comes down to accurate color representation.

Was it you that said you haven't watched a Blu ray yet? Just wondering how 1080p/24 movies look on this set. Also does it have any de-judder settings since it's not the best at reproducing the 1080/24 picture?

That would be me, and I'm honestly not a good person to ask. I mainly bought the TV for sports and games. I watch Blu-Rays but I'm not really as knowledgeable when it comes to film, I can appreciate a good looking Blu-Ray, but that's about it.

I know Will mentioned in a previous thread that the TV has Cinema Smooth or something and works great for him - you can read about it here - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493958/samsung-f5350-series-f5350-vs-s60/120

I cant seem to find the option, I think it only enables when it detects 24hz content, but I've PMed will just to see.
post #87 of 1387 Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 PM

Oh and I just double checked NHL 14 which seemed off on this set, compared it to my PN680 (2010 Samsung) and it looked basically identical, it just turns out that I guess I remembered NHL 12 looking so much better.. for some reason I thought it was a lot sharper and better graphically.

I will say one thing also about this TV, the sharpness on it is brutal. You really have to dial it up slowly if you like it a bit sharper in games, at 50 it's like razor blade, text looks strange with it at the default. I've put it to 25, looks sharp but not overly sharp..

I'm becoming more and more happy with this set as time goes on, even with the hockey problems I think I'll stick with it unless the F8500 drops after CES to about $500. There's only two other TV's I'd really consider, the F8500 and the Sony W series... while the F8500 would be a complete upgrade top to bottom the W series has some issues of it's own and it's about 2.5 times more than I paid for this set.
post #88 of 1387 Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 PM

Thanks. Yeah it sounds like if that guy has to access any smooth settings then it can't reproduce 1080/24 accurately and is basically masked by a 'soap opera setting.'. That's cool though as there are many LCDs that can't do it either. I'm sure it looks fine though. Still in my decision phase...
post #89 of 1387 Old 12-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Greetings,
I hope this isn't hijacking this thread but it has been a long time since I've been in the display market. I'm coming from two mid series Samsung DLPs, and have been advised to stick to Samsung plasmas.
The sale price of the 60" version of this unit caught my eye, and I really don't want or need the smart capabilities. Both of my current Sammy DLPs have been ISF calibrated through the years as well.

However, in viewing this set in person, I couldn't help but notice that this unit is one of the dimmer, bordering on dingiest, displayed in several stores. No offense is intended in this observation. I realize that as a price point item these sets are probably not adjusted to maximize their capabilities, and it is difficult, almost impossible, to even try to adjust even basic user settings in a store. I have read this entire thread, and a few others, but wonder if anyone else has had the same initial viewing reaction?

My question is can this display be made to look comparable in comparison to other sets their size in terms of whites and overall picture luminescence? I know that plasma display nuances are not the same as LCD, etc., but after viewing the set at retail when I return to my DLP, other than the size, I don't really see a picture improvement.
But I do recognize that an ISF calibrated display in my home is not a fair comparison to out of the box settings on a retail floor.
YMMV,
b.
post #90 of 1387 Old 12-14-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I don't think that's a fair comparison until you put this unit in your room against your DLP and see how it performs in your settings.

I would imagine there's too much reflect lights at the retail store, and other LCD/LED units have been jacked up to dynamic modes.

Personally, I will grab a 60" Samsung when it goes back on sale again. It was around $730 a week or two ago. If it drops under $800 again, it will be sitting in my living room. biggrin.gif
gus738 likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f5300 by PriceGrabber.com