Samsung PN51F5300 – What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside - Page 30 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #871 of 1684 Old 08-12-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingup View Post
I am very confused about this TV set. I want a set good for movies and gaming. I read reviews this set is stellar but I have also read its not good for gaming. Is it not good out of the box until calibrated or regardless its not good for gaming. I read it has serious motion blur. Any input is appreciated.
Input lag with game mode enabled (which locks picture mode to standard) is low enough subjectively for me and I consider myself a hardcore gamer as a play a lot of FPS (and third person shooters) plus racing games at a pretty high level (where input lag can sometimes make the difference between winning and losing). With game mode off (such as in Movie mode), input lag is noticeable with certain kinds of games like twitch shooters (think Call of Duty or any fast paced shooter in which you die in a second or so if you make a mistake or miss) or racing (Need for Speed Rivals on the PS4 was the first game I tested between Movie mode and game mode and the cars felt much lighter and more responsive in game mode... and I went back and forth modes many times to make sure this wasn't just a placebo effect).

Regarding motion blur, games that run natively at 60 frame per second are smooth as butter and have minimal to no motion blur. Games that run natively at 30 fps are not blurry (aside from any blur in the source) but they do seem to stutter when the camera pans. Most of the time I don't see this nor does it bother me, but if I go looking for it or create it by moving the right stick on the controller around in a circular fashion at a steady speed, I can see it fairly easily. I've read all plasmas do this and it has something to do with frame doubling, so I would say it's not a flaw specific to this set or brand. To be fair, LED-LCDs don't stutter on 30 fps games, but they do blur a lot more (and they blur visibly on 60 fps too). And I've noticed that with my Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD, which is 120Hz and one of the better LED-LCDs in that model line (EH series) with regards to motion blur.
saginawjuggalo likes this.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Sound: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 08-12-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1684 Old 08-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you for explaining that... it helps allot. I had a Hannspree 42" TV and loved the picture it had until it suffered from light diffuser failure after 4 years. Anyway thankfully I took an extended warranty and Walmart has issued a e-gift card for the complete amount of $553 for use at Walmart or Sams Club. I am leaning heavily on this plasma but my wife believes an LED is better. She feels they are brighter and come with Smart TV apps. Anyone care to help me on that!! I am having a hell of a time convincing her this is the best I can get for under $650. The cheaper the better for me right now too.
post #873 of 1684 Old 08-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Thank you for explaining that... it helps allot. I had a Hannspree 42" TV and loved the picture it had until it suffered from light diffuser failure after 4 years. Anyway thankfully I took an extended warranty and Walmart has issued a e-gift card for the complete amount of $553 for use at Walmart or Sams Club. I am leaning heavily on this plasma but my wife believes an LED is better. She feels they are brighter and come with Smart TV apps. Anyone care to help me on that!! I am having a hell of a time convincing her this is the best I can get for under $650. The cheaper the better for me right now too.
Your wife isn't entirely wrong. LED tvs are significantly brighter and if your viewing condition demands a bright TV (very well lit, bright light sources behind the TV, etc), then an LED TV will definitely be better than the Plasma for your room. Also, these Plasma TVs are very glossy with no anti-reflection coatings, so if you have windows/lightsources behind the TV, the glare from them may also be an issue.

That being said, you simply cannot achieve better picture quality for the price with this plasma if you can control light/viewing conditions for your TV. As already pointed out before, Plasmas also have much better motion resolution compared to LCD sets. Daytime viewing isn't too bad, but if you have a very bright viewing room, then an LED/LCD set would probably look nicer with less glare. Plasma panels also give you spectacular viewing angles, which LCD tvs cannot compete against.

As far as SmartTV apps go, you can probably spend $30-$40 to buy a chromecast device or a Roku and you'll have plenty of smart apps on a non smart TV. Personally, I don't think it is worth paying the premium for "Smart" tvs unless they are very well done and the apps are well maintained and updated frequently.
venus933 likes this.
post #874 of 1684 Old 08-12-2014, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
She feels they are brighter and come with Smart TV apps. Anyone care to help me on that!! I am having a hell of a time convincing her this is the best I can get for under $650. The cheaper the better for me right now too.
You can get smart functions through a wifi enabled blu-ray player for $50 and upgrade your player every couple of years. My Sony BRP has more smart apps than I know what to do with and it also enables media steaming. Those smart functions on the TV will be obsolete in no time.

As per price: Check open-box deals from Best Buy stores in your area. I just picked up a 51F5300B from BB open box for $450 and I am 100% satisfied with it. It came with full manufacturer warranty, extended warranty optional and a 14-day unconditional return policy.
post #875 of 1684 Old 08-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Thanks guys. If you were to consider an LED due to light conditions what low cost models would be on your short list. Smart TV not needed but picture quality is of first importance. I don't want to thread crap so I will just accept your input and not continue on with posts going in that direction. Thanks.
post #876 of 1684 Old 08-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Thanks guys. If you were to consider an LED due to light conditions what low cost models would be on your short list. Smart TV not needed but picture quality is of first importance. I don't want to thread crap so I will just accept your input and not continue on with posts going in that direction. Thanks.
I hear good things about the Vizio sets this year. You'd probably have better luck posting on the LCD forums. Unfortunately though, you can buy much larger Plasma tvs for the same price v/s LCD tvs. So your budget will likely decide your LCD screen size and whether you will be getting a full array local dimming (FALD) set or an edge lit set.
goingup likes this.
post #877 of 1684 Old 08-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I am leaning heavily on this plasma but my wife believes an LED is better.
One last piece of advice: When you are ready to buy, try out a 5300 in home for a week or so. When your wife sees the picture quality, she might not want to part with it. OTOH you might discover that your viewing environment is just too bright for plasma (but at least you'll know).
goingup likes this.
post #878 of 1684 Old 08-13-2014, 07:44 AM
SPJ

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had the Vizio 60" E series briefly and returned it for the 60" 5300 Samsung plasma. The Vizio is probably the best LED for the price and produces a very good picture for the price... just not as good as the plasma in my opinion. The 5300 has more vibrant colors and deeper blacks, which gives the picture an overall deeper feel to it. I have a PS4, so I don't need a smart television.

For the price range, I would choose the 5300 over the Vizio.
goingup likes this.
post #879 of 1684 Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 AM
SPJ

I would also recommend buying from Costco as they have a 90 day return policy on their sets. This should give you plenty of time to test them out.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
post #880 of 1684 Old 08-13-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
I had the Vizio 60" E series briefly and returned it for the 60" 5300 Samsung plasma. The Vizio is probably the best LED for the price and produces a very good picture for the price... just not as good as the plasma in my opinion. The 5300 has more vibrant colors and deeper blacks, which gives the picture an overall deeper feel to it. I have a PS4, so I don't need a smart television.

For the price range, I would choose the 5300 over the Vizio.
I'm curious, did the local dimming on that Vizio work right? I've read mixed reports online about it.

Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Sound: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
post #881 of 1684 Old 08-13-2014, 10:06 AM
SPJ

I didn't care for the local dimming. While it did help improve black levels slightly, it was just too distracting during any mildly dark scenes. You could see the different zones changing brightness during the scenes and it was just akward. This also caused uniformity issues with the brightness on the same image. For example, watching the Matrix I would see the zone was lighter on Neo's face and torso, but darker from his waist down. The problem is that one zone included his face and top of his overcoat and another zone covered his lower body. So, the top of his overcoat was light black, while the bottom was dark black. I ended up just keeping the local dimming feature off, which reduced the black levels and defeated the purpose.

The E series had 16 local dimming zones, so perhaps more zones would have helped with uniformity. It's still the best bang for the buck as far as LED goes. But, with the 5300 sitting there at the same price range, it was a no brainer for me.
post #882 of 1684 Old 08-13-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
I'm curious, did the local dimming on that Vizio work right? I've read mixed reports online about it.

I tried out 2 49" M series models which have 32 zones. I thought the dimming scheme was definitely worth engaging for overall contrast but there were times it was a distraction. I had other issues though such as DSE, motion resolution/SOE and subpar video processing. To my eyes it's fair to say I think the PQ of PN51F5300 is substantially better than the Vizios I had. If you have the right environment then the F5300 is a great bargain. But since their panels have no filtering whatsoever I understand it has limited appeal.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #883 of 1684 Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do I need to break in this TV? If so, how do I go about doing that?

Also what are the best settings for this TV for watching sports primarily?
post #884 of 1684 Old 08-14-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicaplz View Post
Also what are the best settings for this TV for watching sports primarily?
FWIW, I have my "standard" settings to the EXACT settings that PlasmaPZ80U showed on Post #357 of this thread. I use Standard so I can control the EQ in the sound fields.

I've had the set since June 1 and have watched a lot of baseball, golf and now pre-season football. I even watched some of the world cup soccer matches and I can't stand soccer!! I love the picture on this set! (This is for the 51" 5300 "B series" which is what this thread is really supposed to be about despite the wanderings of some).

I don't game or watch movies so I can't help you there but it's also great for music videos when I crank up the stereo. For news and sports, I could not be happier. As of this morning I have a total of 814 hours on the set and have not experienced ANY of the problems alluded to in this thread.

The one problem I have had is that the sound will occasionally get out of sync with the cable box HDMI signal, usually after 6 or more hours of continuous use. Turning both off fixes it immediately.

Last edited by l8mdl87; 08-14-2014 at 12:24 PM.
post #885 of 1684 Old 08-15-2014, 06:48 AM

Talking

I purchase the PN51F5300 yesterday from Walmart.com. I had a e-gift card for the bulk of the cost. Which was a refund for a failed TV Walmart extended warranty could not service. I cannot wait for this TV. I have read the posts suggesting to do burn in prevention by running a full screen alternating color DVD for the first 100 to 200 hrs of set life with contrast and brightness all the way down. Then will use your calibration settings. Thanks everyone for the input and help in deciding . I will keep you posted and will be sure to provide photos for those on the fence too.
post #886 of 1684 Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8mdl87 View Post
FWIW, I have my "standard" settings to the EXACT settings that PlasmaPZ80U showed on Post #357 of this thread. I use Standard so I can control the EQ in the sound fields.
Do you mind re-linking that post? The link here doesn't work for me. Thanks.

New - Samsung 51F5300B / Old - Hitachi 42HDS69 w/ firmware v120
post #887 of 1684 Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 AM

post #888 of 1684 Old 08-15-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8mdl87 View Post
FWIW, I have my "standard" settings to the EXACT settings that PlasmaPZ80U showed on Post #357 of this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBadger View Post
Do you mind re-linking that post? The link here doesn't work for me. Thanks.
Bear in mind that the calibration settings shared by PlasmaPZ8OU were derived from metering an AF model (unless I'm badly mistaken). That's not to say those setting won't work well, but AF and BF sets employ different panels.
post #889 of 1684 Old 08-15-2014, 04:49 PM

I just ordered one of these hoping it will enable me to raise my center speaker to the top shelf of my AV stand, just beneath the 51F5300. Does anybody here have experience with this or something similar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV-Stand-With-Mount-TV-Swivel-Stand.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	214193  
post #890 of 1684 Old 08-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can anyone post a few more pictures of this TV?

Steam ID: J-Rod0125.
PC Specs: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, Intel Core i7-4771, Nvidia GTX 970, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Western Digital Black HDD, Corsair 8GB Ram, SeaSonic SSR-650RM.
HT: Samsung 60F5300B, Wharfedale Diamond 10.4 Fronts, Wharfedale 10.CS Center, Power Sound Audio XS15-SE, Pioneer Elite SC-82.
post #891 of 1684 Old 08-15-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwasi View Post
Bear in mind that the calibration settings shared by PlasmaPZ8OU were derived from metering an AF model (unless I'm badly mistaken). That's not to say those setting won't work well, but AF and BF sets employ different panels.
Also my current settings (and anything I posted in March or later) were done after a main board replacement (which means the service menu white balance settings on the new board are different from the old one, likely at service manual defaults... which is probably why after the board was changed my calibrations found the warm1 preset to be the closest starting point instead of warm2).

post #892 of 1684 Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My BF has the TS02 panel and the settings are PERFECT. Flesh tone is the best I have seen and if flesh is correct all else will follow.
post #893 of 1684 Old 08-16-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Also my current settings (and anything I posted in March or later) were done after a main board replacement (which means the service menu white balance settings on the new board are different from the old one, likely at service manual defaults... which is probably why after the board was changed my calibrations found the warm1 preset to be the closest starting point instead of warm2).
Yeah, that's why I was confused. I knew you had your Game Mode settings in your sig but that's for the AF panel.

I've been looking for a decent set of BF settings to start tweaking from.

New - Samsung 51F5300B / Old - Hitachi 42HDS69 w/ firmware v120
post #894 of 1684 Old 08-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Wow...how old was the set when it failed and what symptoms did it exhibit?
post #895 of 1684 Old 08-16-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBadger View Post
I've been looking for a decent set of BF settings to start tweaking from.
Warm2, color space custom, movie mode.
Have fun!

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)

Get Help Picking the Right DIY Sound Group Speakers
post #896 of 1684 Old 08-16-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Picked up this tv about a week ago from best buy and I love it, just one little problem... a very high pitched buzzing. It's audible over external speakers from about 10 ft away and it's driving me crazy.

I'm going to try to exchange it, but I think I picked up the last bfxza model. Would you have any reservations about moving from a bfxza to an afxza model?
I've been hoping that the buzz would fade as the tv breaks in ( it's only got about 40 hrs, mostly from break in slides), but I'm having no such luck.

Any other thoughts or opinions?

Thanks
post #897 of 1684 Old 08-16-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by chachokat View Post
... a very high pitched buzzing. It's audible over external speakers
If you use the built-in speakers, can you hear it?
Can you send another source to those speakers?
Try rerouting the power and speaker lines.
I don't think exchanging the set will help.
But I could be wrong.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)

Get Help Picking the Right DIY Sound Group Speakers
post #898 of 1684 Old 08-16-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I'm going to try to exchange it, but I think I picked up the last bfxza model. Would you have any reservations about moving from a bfxza to an afxza model? Thanks
I sorta doubt BB stores have any AFXZA models left, even if their website lists them as such. I just bought an open box 51F5300 from them that was listed as AF, but when I called about it a geek squad dude verified it was BF. He said BB hasn't updated their listings but that everything in his store was BF (both 51' and 60").
post #899 of 1684 Old 08-16-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
... a very high pitched buzzing. It's audible over external speakers from about 10 ft away and it's driving me crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
If you use the built-in speakers, can you hear it?
Can you send another source to those speakers?
Try rerouting the power and speaker lines.
I don't think exchanging the set will help.
But I could be wrong.
IIRC, others who have complained about the buzz said it issued from the panel, not the speakers. I might be wrong about that.
post #900 of 1684 Old 08-16-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwasi View Post
IIRC, others who have complained about the buzz said it issued from the panel, not the speakers. I might be wrong about that.
Oops, poor describing on my behalf. The buzzing is definitely coming from the panel. I have the tv speakers off, and the system is running through a receiver with external speakers. The buzzing occurs whenever there is a picture on the screen. It mostly goes away when the screen is black. It occurs when I power on the tv and the blue samsung logo is on screen. Once the logo disappears and the screen goes dark the sound is pretty much gone, but immediately starts once I turn on the cable or ps3.

When I picked up the tv, i asked the bestbuy floor employee if he could check the inventory serial # and see if they had any bfxza models. When he came out with the tv he mentioned it was the last bfxza.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I really appreciate the input.
Nikwasi likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page