Samsung PN51F5300 – What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 1156 Old 08-19-2014, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Best Buy is selling for $500 today only as part of their one day home theater sale. The cheapest I have seen it since black Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1156 Old 08-19-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Dayton View Post
Best Buy is selling for $500 today only as part of their one day home theater sale. The cheapest I have seen it since black Friday.
Wow, thats a deal to jump on!
post #933 of 1156 Old 08-19-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just got back from best buy and replaced my buzzing unit with a new one. My Initial impression is that the buzzing seems diminished. Still noticeable, but certainly better than before. I was only able to set up the tv and run a few burn in slides before I had to leave, so I'll hold final judgement until later. I was able to get a price adjustment to today's $500 price, so yay!
post #934 of 1156 Old 08-20-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
appreciate it... see if you can get MLL (all black screen to avoid floating blacks) to four decimal places in fL for black optimizer dark room and off

would be nice to see how the B models compare (and I believe Chad has the same C6 colorimeter I use... unless he upgraded to something more high end in the last few years)
Will do.

My panel should have close to about 120 hours on it by Friday.

Have you (or anyone else) noticed any significant drifting or changes after that mark in regards to color and greyscale? I just want to make sure there is sufficient break-in; with my previous Panasonic VT60 it was recommended to wait a few hundred hours before the initial cal but that was an exception.

post #935 of 1156 Old 08-20-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 198
not really, but I calibrated the set a lot when I first got it (to learn the inns and outs of the set) so my calibrations were not far apart

right now I have 2,000+ hours on the set

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #936 of 1156 Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HI,
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just aquired my first plasma screen, a PN51F5300AF(XZA). Details in my sig.

Fired it up last night (on a direct cable connection - bypassing the box) and got a shock. The screen was VERY dark. I mean DARK... You could see some detail, but not much. First thing I thought was "is this a bad set"? It looks nowhere near as bright as any of the Samsung 720 screens, or other brands I have helped setup. Reconnected the thing and went thru the cable box. No difference (as if I expected any). Then went thru the HDMI from the box. Still no difference. Reset the cable box. No difference.

Figuring I would see how it looked in the movie mode. Went into the menu and saw the "dynamic" mode. Selected that. WOW - it was bright and working. Went to movie and it seemed washed out and slightly fuzzy - could be because I was hooked to the cable and running a ordinary TV show..?

Absolutely NO flaws in the screen. None...! Keep that in mind. NO humming either - at least none has come up yet.

Today I went to Sears at Chapel Hill. The guy there was willing to let me look at all the modes. In standard mode the screen was "sorta bright" but we were in a very well lit showroom. It is probably good for a home enviroment. Looked OK into dynamic mode and it did brighten up. So did movie mode.

Looked at the part # and it was an "A". US01 board..... Built in Jan or Feb 2014 - don't remember... Went to look at the software and it was a 1003 (2003?). So we had a "A" model with the US01 board and the "B" ?? firmware?? IF the difference in the look of the "normal" mode on mine and the normal mode on the store demo is the software/firmware package, what in the ^%#($ am I to do? I gather that the later software has less ability to tweak the system than the earlier software. I like to be able to bend things around to my liking and don't like being constrained into a box that is someone elses idea of what things should look like. So I really don't want to return it and try to get a later build unit.

Soooooooo - I guess my question is - Is this box bad, or is what I am seeing normal with a 1205 firmware package??? Whatever it is I do not like how it looks in normal mode. Normal mode should be useable, not trash...

What to do. What to do..

Jim

Samsung PN51F5300AFXZA, US01, Build Nov 2013 Tijuana Mexico (SDIM), Software (as shipped) ver 1205

Last edited by JimGraham; 08-20-2014 at 07:15 PM.
post #937 of 1156 Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My PN51F5300 came in today at Walmart. I went to pick it up and the box was crushed.
I opened it all looked ok and since it was the only unit to take! Got home and set it up. Turned it on and noticed some sparkles for a moment or two in the start up logo screen. (white pixels in random spots) I think that is not good but will wait for input from you guys! Then I attached my Chromecast and fired up Plex and put on a movie and wow!!! Picture is awesome out of the box!
Few things to note the model is the TS02 BF. Guide button remote. I downloaded the burn in disk and will run it for about 3 hours a day right now to help with preventing IR. I want to watch something badly but don't want to mess the burn in process up. I have Dish Hopper, Chromecast and Netflix, Plex and an Xbox360 which of these good for getting a bar free picture on the set so I can watch a movie. I used my Plex and it had bars and Netflix did too. I hope that the sparkles are not a bad sign but considering the crushed box, I have a feeling someone is going to deliver me bad news. I will post photos tomorrow!
post #938 of 1156 Old 08-20-2014, 07:21 PM

@ Jim What you want to do is turn off ECO Mode its under the menu in Advanced I think. Also the setting above that one increased brightness as well for me.
post #939 of 1156 Old 08-20-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGraham View Post
HI,

Just aquired my first plasma screen, a PN51F5300AF(XZA).
Looked at the part # and it was an "A". US01 board..... Built in Jan or Feb 2014 - don't remember... Went to look at the software and it was a 1003 (2003?). So we had a "A" model with the US01 board and the "B" ?? firmware??
Something ain't right. Never heard of an A model loaded with firmware v.1003.

Quote:
I gather that the later software has less ability to tweak the system than the earlier software.
Not true.
post #940 of 1156 Old 08-20-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
HI,

Just aquired my first plasma screen, a PN51F5300AF(XZA). Details in my sig.

Fired it up last night (on a direct cable connection - bypassing the box) and got a shock. The screen was VERY dark. I mean DARK... You could see some detail, but not much. First thing I thought was "is this a bad set"? It looks nowhere near as bright as any of the Samsung 720 screens, or other brands I have helped setup. Reconnected the thing and went thru the cable box. No difference (as if I expected any). Then went thru the HDMI from the box. Still no difference. Reset the cable box. No difference.

Figuring I would see how it looked in the movie mode. Went into the menu and saw the "dynamic" mode. Selected that. WOW - it was bright and working. Went to movie and it seemed washed out and slightly fuzzy - could be because I was hooked to the cable and running a ordinary TV show..?

Absolutely NO flaws in the screen. None...! Keep that in mind. NO humming either - at least none has come up yet.

Today I went to Sears at Chapel Hill. The guy there was willing to let me look at all the modes. In standard mode the screen was "sorta bright" but we were in a very well lit showroom. It is probably good for a home enviroment. Looked OK into dynamic mode and it did brighten up. So did movie mode.

Looked at the part # and it was an "A". US01 board..... Built in Jan or Feb 2014 - don't remember... Went to look at the software and it was a 1003 (2003?). So we had a "A" model with the US01 board and the "B" ?? firmware?? IF the difference in the look of the "normal" mode on mine and the normal mode on the store demo is the software/firmware package, what in the ^%#($ am I to do? I gather that the later software has less ability to tweak the system than the earlier software. I like to be able to bend things around to my liking and don't like being constrained into a box that is someone elses idea of what things should look like. So I really don't want to return it and try to get a later build unit.

Soooooooo - I guess my question is - Is this box bad, or is what I am seeing normal with a 1205 firmware package??? Whatever it is I do not like how it looks in normal mode. Normal mode should be useable, not trash...

What to do. What to do..

Jim
Standard/Normal modes on today's displays usually are trash as they conform to Energy Star. I have read reports of people claiming the "B" models have better out of box settings than the "A" models of last year. I have no idea if this is true.

TRY THIS:

Turn off all of the processing stuff (including eco mode) in the menu and put the display in Movie with contrast at 95 and cell at 20. Connect it to a Blu-ray player and see how it looks. It should not be dim unless you have a ton of ambient light in your room. Report back.

post #941 of 1156 Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingup View Post
My PN51F5300 came in today at Walmart. I went to pick it up and the box was crushed.
I opened it all looked ok and since it was the only unit to take! Got home and set it up. Turned it on and noticed some sparkles for a moment or two in the start up logo screen. (white pixels in random spots) I think that is not good but will wait for input from you guys! Then I attached my Chromecast and fired up Plex and put on a movie and wow!!! Picture is awesome out of the box!
Few things to note the model is the TS02 BF. Guide button remote. I downloaded the burn in disk and will run it for about 3 hours a day right now to help with preventing IR. I want to watch something badly but don't want to mess the burn in process up. I have Dish Hopper, Chromecast and Netflix, Plex and an Xbox360 which of these good for getting a bar free picture on the set so I can watch a movie. I used my Plex and it had bars and Netflix did too. I hope that the sparkles are not a bad sign but considering the crushed box, I have a feeling someone is going to deliver me bad news. I will post photos tomorrow!
you don't need any special break in procedures on these TVs... I've used mine normally from day one and now have 2,000+ hours with no IR or burn-in issues... only short term IR that goes away automatically and occasional moderate-term IR (caused by gaming a lot with the same HUD for 1-2 weeks... but goes away in hours to a few days of not playing that game/by varying content)
goingup likes this.

post #942 of 1156 Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 PM

Thanks PlasmaPZ80U. I have noticed the twinkles have gone away. I transported it on its side. No choice wouldn't fit in SUV any other way. I turned it on with in minutes of getting it out of box. So maybe you do need to wait a few hours or so! Anyway I used the movie calibration settings posted by I think PlasmaPZ80U and all I can say is Holy ****! I really feel like I just purchased a $1000 plus TV. The picture is incredible! I just watched The Avengers on Netflix, which was whole screen and wow just wow!. I had some reservations about plasma before I bought this but now all I can say is why oh why are they ceasing to make them! If you are on the fence about getting one... DO NOT WAIT, RUN and get one because at $600 and under you will feel like you robbed a TV out of the Magnolia section of Best Buy! It looks that good!
Josh128 likes this.
post #943 of 1156 Old 08-20-2014, 10:44 PM

Any idea if P51F5300 and P51F5500 share the same display?
post #944 of 1156 Old 08-21-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by closencounters View Post
Any idea if P51F5300 and P51F5500 share the same display?
I believe they do. If you have one, what is your panel version?
LJ11 likes this.
post #945 of 1156 Old 08-21-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicaplz View Post
Is it just me or is this TV stand somewhat wobbly?
Did I attach it incorrect or this is the case?

What is the best way to stabilize it without mounting?
Yesterday I mounted my 51F5300 on one of these and it is less wobbly than the Samsung stand. It also pivots 30° in either direction, which is an important consideration for many plasma owners.

I ordered this mount so I could move my center speaker to the top shelf of my AV stand, in order to give it acoustic space and to place it closer to ear level. It does accomplish that purpose, if only marginally. Overall I would give this device four stars factoring in the price of $68.

I will post before/after pics once the "after" is done, if I can get pictures of meaningful detail with my little camera. (I'm not much of a photographer.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV-Stand-With-Mount.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	222265  
RyanHomsey likes this.
post #946 of 1156 Old 08-21-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks PlasmaPZ80U. I have noticed the twinkles have gone away. I transported it on its side. No choice wouldn't fit in SUV any other way. I turned it on with in minutes of getting it out of box. So maybe you do need to wait a few hours or so! Anyway I used the movie calibration settings posted by I think PlasmaPZ80U and all I can say is Holy ****! I really feel like I just purchased a $1000 plus TV. The picture is incredible! I just watched The Avengers on Netflix, which was whole screen and wow just wow!. I had some reservations about plasma before I bought this but now all I can say is why oh why are they ceasing to make them! If you are on the fence about getting one... DO NOT WAIT, RUN and get one because at $600 and under you will feel like you robbed a TV out of the Magnolia section of Best Buy! It looks that good!
Yup. Ive come to appreciate the picture of my 5300 more as time has gone on (got mine in early July). The picture is stunning. Even the 720p version is incredible. Cant believe this technology is ceasing to exist. Ignorant consumers.
goingup likes this.
post #947 of 1156 Old 08-21-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
Yup. Ive come to appreciate the picture of my 5300 more as time has gone on (got mine in early July). The picture is stunning. Even the 720p version is incredible. Cant believe this technology is ceasing to exist. Ignorant consumers.
aside from 4K/Curved reasons, might be because these PDPs look bad in the typical bright store environment... in such conditions the LED-LCDs look brighter with deeper blacks and more contrast whereas the F5300/F5500 looks washed out/gray and very dim

of course, at home in a dim to dark room (or even moderately lit room without light hitting the screen directly), the opposite holds true

post #948 of 1156 Old 08-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
aside from 4K/Curved reasons, might be because these PDPs look bad in the typical bright store environment... in such conditions the LED-LCDs look brighter with deeper blacks and more contrast whereas the F5300/F5500 looks washed out/gray and very dim

of course, at home in a dim to dark room (or even moderately lit room without light hitting the screen directly), the opposite holds true
4K has nothing to do with it, plasma was dead long before the first 4K/UHD set hit the showroom floor.

It has everything to do with poor showroom performance compared to LED lit LCDs. I really cant blame people when it comes to this-- walk into a Walmart or Best Buy (non-Magnolia) and the plasmas really do look dim and washed out compared to LED lit LCDs. If one goes simply on what they sees at the showroom, its amazing plasmas have hung around as long as they have.

OLED looks awesome (that LG set is super-sexy), a viable successor to plasma even. Hopefully they can make it affordable in the next few years.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
post #949 of 1156 Old 08-21-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, Samsung has cited not being able to make an affordable 4K Plasma (affordable relative to 4K LED-LCDs) as one of the reasons for quitting the PDP business. I believe Panasonic shared a similar reason.

Of course, to the average buyer, how Plasmas look in the typical store environment is the main reason. At this point, I don't care for 4K and I don't want a curved screen ever. OLED does look promising, however, with zero luminance blacks and bright whites.

post #950 of 1156 Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

While plasma was on a decline, I believe the emergence of 4K certainly accelerated it. It's true there were cost and energy increases to make a 4K plasma, so the way the manufacturers looked at it...now was time to end it.
PlasmaPZ80U likes this.

post #951 of 1156 Old 08-21-2014, 08:37 PM

Seems to me if one manufacturer continued plasma, it would have an established (and loyal) customer base all to itself. But what do I know?
post #952 of 1156 Old 08-22-2014, 11:03 AM

Hello

Earlier I wanted to get a 51F4500 but seems like it's way pricier here (I'm in Asia), and the difference between that and a 51F5500 is only $180. I was pretty set to get the F4500 but was turned off by the price (it shouldn't be as expensive - $580)

Should I jump on the 51F5500? No F5300 model available, and the other available set for my price range is the 51H5000... I'm not really keen on the 3D function, nor the smart functions; but a better remote and resolution might do it for me.
post #953 of 1156 Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 AM

My camera skills suck but here are a few photos.They don't do the TV picture in real life, justice! This was in a well lit room as well as using my HTC One M8 for the photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-08-22 14.14.39.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	224217   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-22 14.32.27.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	224225   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-22 14.33.51.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	224233  
post #954 of 1156 Old 08-22-2014, 11:50 AM

Anyone know of other full screen HD movies on Netflix?
post #955 of 1156 Old 08-22-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
My camera skills suck but here are a few photos.They don't do the TV picture in real life, justice! This was in a well lit room as well as using my HTC One M8 for the photos.
Good pics, actually. The first one of Hawkeye shows off the impressive picture. I am a Panasonic S60 owner, but I like the F5300 and other Samsung plasmas. Congratulations on picking up a nice set, and I bet it was a great price as well.
Josh128 likes this.
post #956 of 1156 Old 08-22-2014, 02:28 PM

I got it for $548 from Walmart.com. No choice where since I was using credit from a prior TV failure. Can't complain about Walmarts warranty either. Four years later and 42" Hannspree failed. They gave me the full price of the TV, warranty and tax back. So with the $553 back I applied it to the PN51F5300B. Best decision ever. Thanks for the compliments on my photos!

My set was built March 2014.
Is a TS02
and a B model

I used RyanHomsey posted calibration settings from Samsung PN60F5300 calibration settings? and tweaked it ever so little and I cannot be happier.

I changed Contrast to 94
Brightness to 48
Sharpness to 12

I applied everything else he suggested and picture to my eyes is spot on!
I should mention too that most of his settings were very close to my numbers already which is why I posted my TV manufacture date and board version. More photos off Netflix over Chromecast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-08-22 16.51.39.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	224689   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-22 16.49.59.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	224697  

Last edited by goingup; 08-22-2014 at 02:48 PM.
post #957 of 1156 Old 08-22-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Chad B calibrated my 51" F5300B tonight. This display calibrates remarkably well by any standard, but especially for the money.

I also cannot recommend Chad enough as his expertise, experience, and equipment allows a display like this to reach this level. He's cal'd a number of my displays over the years and always does absolutely top-notch work.

Due to space requirements, the system is not allowing me to post the PDF calibration report (any ideas on work around?) The greyscale is at a DE 2000 of .36 and the gamut is at .68

As far as MLL, the display did rather well although the blacks do float (as they do on all Samsung plasmas).

Measured on black full screen:

@ 24 hz with BO Dark room .00198
BO Off .00649

MLL measured with APL 18% window BO Dark room .02552

@ 60hz with BO Dark Room .00241
BO Auto .00255
BO Off .00743

MLL measured with APL 18% window BO Dark room .02758

(Please do not ask for settings )

Last edited by DavidHir; 08-22-2014 at 10:09 PM.
post #958 of 1156 Old 08-23-2014, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Chad B calibrated my 51" F5300B tonight. This display calibrates remarkably well by any standard, but especially for the money.

I also cannot recommend Chad enough as his expertise, experience, and equipment allows a display like this to reach this level. He's cal'd a number of my displays over the years and always does absolutely top-notch work.

Due to space requirements, the system is not allowing me to post the PDF calibration report (any ideas on work around?) The greyscale is at a DE 2000 of .36 and the gamut is at .68

As far as MLL, the display did rather well although the blacks do float (as they do on all Samsung plasmas).

Measured on black full screen:

@ 24 hz with BO Dark room .00198
BO Off .00649

MLL measured with APL 18% window BO Dark room .02552

@ 60hz with BO Dark Room .00241
BO Auto .00255
BO Off .00743

MLL measured with APL 18% window BO Dark room .02758

(Please do not ask for settings )
Whats the going rate for professional calibration of a set like this?
post #959 of 1156 Old 08-23-2014, 03:00 AM

Quote:
I got it for $548 from Walmart.com. No choice where since I was using credit from a prior TV failure. Can't complain about Walmarts warranty either. Four years later and 42" Hannspree failed. They gave me the full price of the TV, warranty and tax back. So with the $553 back I applied it to the PN51F5300B. Best decision ever. Thanks for the compliments on my photos!

My set was built March 2014.
Is a TS02
and a B model

I used RyanHomsey posted calibration settings from Samsung PN60F5300 calibration settings? and tweaked it ever so little and I cannot be happier.

I changed Contrast to 94
Brightness to 48
Sharpness to 12

I applied everything else he suggested and picture to my eyes is spot on!
I should mention too that most of his settings were very close to my numbers already which is why I posted my TV manufacture date and board version. More photos off Netflix over Chromecast.
How do you post such large and detailed images on this forum and get them to show up as thumbnails? Im linking to photobucket but the posted images are nowhere near the 3.2MP originals
post #960 of 1156 Old 08-23-2014, 04:09 AM

I am using my HTC One M8 to take photos. I adjusted the ISO speed to 200. Photos upload to Dropbox. I just drag the photo I want to the dotted box below where you post reply and wait for it to upload photo. The forum software does the rest. All the things wrong with my photos are my crap camera skills and/or the camera. There is no evidence of blurred image. The distortion in the image is not perceivable while watching the TV only in the picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-08-22 20.04.20.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	225250  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page