Samsung PN51F5300 – What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1141 of 1159 Old 09-22-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 4,627
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHYS-man View Post
If not, where might I find this test?
AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
LastButNotLeast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1142 of 1159 Old 09-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Member
 
xxfury2xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've owned this TV for a little over a week picking it apart for flaws. It seems as if it has the dirty screen effect going on. I thought this was only a problem with LCDs? It has DSE both vertically and horizontally, but the vertical bands aren't noticeable unless I'm running test patterns. The horizontal DSE is noticeable when screen pans on very light backgrounds. Is there anything I can do to my settings to minimize the impact? Is it normal for DSE to be present with this TV? Would it be worth swapping or does the possibility exist of getting a TV with worse DSE?

I appreciate any help I can get with these questions. Thank you.
xxfury2xx is offline  
post #1143 of 1159 Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Member
 
l8mdl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Not if you're a Rangers fan...... Refs screwed us.
Typical New York fan - blame the refs...
l8mdl87 is offline  
post #1144 of 1159 Old 09-23-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by l8mdl87 View Post
Typical New York fan - blame the refs...
Nah, typical well-informed NY fan who saw the refs call bogus calls on the Rangers while ignoring infractions against the Kings.

The Game 5 penalty call on Zuccarello cost them that game alone. It should have been a penalty on the other guy, instead they call it on Zukes. Kings get a PP, tie the game, win in OT -- without it, we win 2-1.
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
post #1145 of 1159 Old 09-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Member
 
l8mdl87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfury2xx View Post
It seems as if it has the dirty screen effect going on.
I haven't seen the effect on mine. Interesting to note that this is, I believe, the first time in over 1100 messages on this set that this has been mentioned.
Josh128 likes this.
l8mdl87 is offline  
post #1146 of 1159 Old 09-24-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I updated my game mode settings after a long time... main difference is I bumped up gamma to +1 and included the CMS tweaks from my last movie mode calibration for better skin tones. I also got rid of the normal power 2.2 gamma calibration link in my sig since it just has too little shadow detail to be able to enjoy dark and even normal scenes with dark areas/details.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #1147 of 1159 Old 09-24-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfury2xx View Post
So I've owned this TV for a little over a week picking it apart for flaws. It seems as if it has the dirty screen effect going on. I thought this was only a problem with LCDs? It has DSE both vertically and horizontally, but the vertical bands aren't noticeable unless I'm running test patterns. The horizontal DSE is noticeable when screen pans on very light backgrounds. Is there anything I can do to my settings to minimize the impact? Is it normal for DSE to be present with this TV? Would it be worth swapping or does the possibility exist of getting a TV with worse DSE?

I appreciate any help I can get with these questions. Thank you.
Yes, normal.

My 51F53000B also has some vertical DSE, but it is so slight and really only seen on patterns. My previous Panasonic VT60 had a slight amount too, but it wasn't noticeable and a non issue too.

The F5300 is a tremendous value and properly calibrated, it puts out an outstanding image - and I am saying this coming from a previous VT60 (and I also have a JVC RS4810 front projector).


Last edited by DavidHir; 09-24-2014 at 07:22 PM.
DavidHir is offline  
post #1148 of 1159 Old 09-24-2014, 10:49 PM
Newbie
 
Rudester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a general how to guide for the i1display pro or do I have to do some reading in this site regarding the calibration practice.
Rudester is offline  
post #1149 of 1159 Old 09-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Member
 
showsjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Im assuming the PN51F5300BFXZA model doesnt have any firmware updates or needs them? I dont see them anywhere on Samsung's website. the A series isnt recognized. Guessing I dont need to update anything?
showsjohn is offline  
post #1150 of 1159 Old 09-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What exactly is DSE? I've just got this set and I've been looking for flaws or anything that seems unusual. I'm new to plasma's so I've been reading material on this site. I do have one question. All the content I watch looks great, but I was wondering when I am up close to the set I can see pixel's rapidly changing colors (mostly between red/green) seems more visible on the blacks. I am wondering if this is normal? I don't notice from normal viewing distance but rather only when I am right infront of the screen. Is this how the pixel shifter feature works?
Wildfan1884 is offline  
post #1151 of 1159 Old 09-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudester View Post
Is there a general how to guide for the i1display pro or do I have to do some reading in this site regarding the calibration practice.
Try these:

Guide: GREYSCALE CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES
Basic Guide to Color Calibration using a CMS (updated and enhanced)

I also meant to one of these days write a quick log of my experience and some pointers calibrating the PN51F5300 using the i1 Display Pro + HCFR, but mind you I am just as novice as you are.


Quote:
Originally Posted by showsjohn View Post
Im assuming the PN51F5300BFXZA model doesn't have any firmware updates or needs them? I don't see them anywhere on Samsung's website. the A series isnt recognized. Guessing I dont need to update anything?
I haven't yet found any for mine (B-model). To be honest I do not see a reason I would need an update either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfan1884 View Post
What exactly is DSE? I've just got this set and I've been looking for flaws or anything that seems unusual. I'm new to plasma's so I've been reading material on this site. I do have one question. All the content I watch looks great, but I was wondering when I am up close to the set I can see pixel's rapidly changing colors (mostly between red/green) seems more visible on the blacks. I am wondering if this is normal? I don't notice from normal viewing distance but rather only when I am right infront of the screen. Is this how the pixel shifter feature works?
DSE: What is "Dirty Screen Effect"?

To be honest, I found often times people go to great lengths trying to find out if anything is wrong with their TVs. I myself try to be a little bit ignorant and just enjoy it. Yes, I do a quick visual scan to see if there is anything obvious that bothers me, but usually I do not go online looking for all the things that could go wrong, and trying to see if mine has it or not.

The pixel rapidly changing colors looks like plasma dithering (normal for plasma dispays). I have it on mine too, but only from up close, I do not see it from my normal viewing distance (~10 feet away) or maybe I just don't try and check if I can still see it . Maybe certain settings like high brightness levels can make it worse, but if it is not visible from normal viewing distance, I would not worry about it and would certainly not try to minimize brightness to get rid of it as you will likely end up with crushed blacks. The pixel shifter I believe just shifts the whole picture a number of pixels at one direction at certain time intervals to minimize IR, it should not look like what you described.

Just enjoy your new TV, try to calibrate if possible. I have had mine for few weeks now, and I still find moments where I get impressed by the quality of the picture and the colors I see. I just re-watched Star Wars, Episode 1, and at times it was like watching a completely new movie again.

Last edited by alextr75; 09-26-2014 at 02:47 PM.
alextr75 is online now  
post #1152 of 1159 Old 09-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Member
 
xxfury2xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Yes, normal.

My 51F53000B also has some vertical DSE, but it is so slight and really only seen on patterns. My previous Panasonic VT60 had a slight amount too, but it wasn't noticeable and a non issue too.

The F5300 is a tremendous value and properly calibrated, it puts out an outstanding image - and I am saying this coming from a previous VT60 (and I also have a JVC RS4810 front projector).
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure it was normal because I was under the impression that DSE was something only LCDs were afflicted by.

After viewing more content the DSE is only visible on a very small amount of scenes, and the only reason I notice it is because I know it's there. Before catching it I didn't really see it, ignorance would've been complete bliss in this case. I plan on keeping this set as I don't want to risk getting one with more noticeable DSE. I agree that the picture is VERY nice, and better than any LCD I could've gotten at the same price point.

The main reason I purchased this TV was to get a plasma at a reasonable price before they went away, as something to hold me over until OLED becomes more affordable. This TV definitely accomplishes that.
xxfury2xx is offline  
post #1153 of 1159 Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Josh128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfury2xx View Post
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure it was normal because I was under the impression that DSE was something only LCDs were afflicted by.

After viewing more content the DSE is only visible on a very small amount of scenes, and the only reason I notice it is because I know it's there. Before catching it I didn't really see it, ignorance would've been complete bliss in this case. I plan on keeping this set as I don't want to risk getting one with more noticeable DSE. I agree that the picture is VERY nice, and better than any LCD I could've gotten at the same price point.

The main reason I purchased this TV was to get a plasma at a reasonable price before they went away, as something to hold me over until OLED becomes more affordable. This TV definitely accomplishes that.
After a couple of months of use the set will look even better! Dont know the science behind it, but after a few hundred hours the picture does seem to markedly improve. I have 3 Samsungs and all three have exhibited this phenomenon. I wasnt too impressed with my 51F5300BFXA at first, but I was comparing to my well broken in 51F4500AFXA. Now that its well broken in the 5300 produces a much more pleasing picture than it did new. Same exact thing happened with the 4500 I first compared it to. Dont ask questions, just appreciate it when it happens!

Displays: Samsung PN51F5300BFXA, PN51F4500AFXA, PN51F4500BFXA

Josh128 is offline  
post #1154 of 1159 Old 09-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Member
 
xxfury2xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
After a couple of months of use the set will look even better! Dont know the science behind it, but after a few hundred hours the picture does seem to markedly improve. I have 3 Samsungs and all three have exhibited this phenomenon. I wasnt too impressed with my 51F5300BFXA at first, but I was comparing to my well broken in 51F4500AFXA. Now that its well broken in the 5300 produces a much more pleasing picture than it did new. Same exact thing happened with the 4500 I first compared it to. Dont ask questions, just appreciate it when it happens!
Thanks. It's nice to know that I'll be getting an even better picture down the line. It looks awesome in my apartment, and there is no way I can go back to a 40" screen, lol.

I actually messed with some of the picture settings to improve the DSE and it seems a little better. I lowered the gamma to -3, brightness to 40, and the contrast to 90. All the other settings are the same as posted by stereomandan. Just thought I would share in case anyone else has this issue.

By any chance is there anything else in the settings you could recommend to make the DSE a little less noticeable? Thank you.
xxfury2xx is offline  
post #1155 of 1159 Old 09-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Member
 
italiannyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the set about 4 months and I don't know, I feel some times it looks better then others. I see that screen flicker thing sometimes where it gets bright and dim, but not enough times to really bother me. I think I feel it's not bright enough. Seems a little dark. I haven't really messed with the settings though. I have standard and cell light set to 20 but that's about it. If I try to get it brighter, I see more grain in the picture. In reality, I don't know what settings to use lol. Still a good tv though
italiannyc is offline  
post #1156 of 1159 Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfury2xx View Post
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure it was normal because I was under the impression that DSE was something only LCDs were afflicted by.

After viewing more content the DSE is only visible on a very small amount of scenes, and the only reason I notice it is because I know it's there. Before catching it I didn't really see it, ignorance would've been complete bliss in this case. I plan on keeping this set as I don't want to risk getting one with more noticeable DSE. I agree that the picture is VERY nice, and better than any LCD I could've gotten at the same price point.

The main reason I purchased this TV was to get a plasma at a reasonable price before they went away, as something to hold me over until OLED becomes more affordable. This TV definitely accomplishes that.
I am extremely impressed with this display after having Chad B out to calibrate it...I mean it really surpassed my expectations on all levels. The color is just excellent and very natural. Contrast is strong too. The performance you get for the price is remarkable really - and yes, it blows away any LED at this price and even at much higher price levels.

DavidHir is offline  
post #1157 of 1159 Old Today, 07:36 AM
Member
 
FXDWG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered this TV. Is everyone pretty much using the settings listed in the first post for here for basic TV show viewing? No gaming, just mostly watching shows off the DVR and some live news and sports.

Birds and Alligators
New post daily

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FXDWG is offline  
post #1158 of 1159 Old Today, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Nikwasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nantahala
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Sears has the 51F5300 for $500 for in-store pickup right now, and the 60F5300 for $700 w/ free delivery.
Nikwasi is offline  
post #1159 of 1159 Old Today, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
orion2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwasi View Post
Sears has the 51F5300 for $500 for in-store pickup right now, and the 60F5300 for $700 w/ free delivery.
Great deals on these sets. I had picked up the 60F5300 for that price from Sears a few months back. Don't forget the 5% cashback via Shop Discover and to use Shop Your Way points. I had gotten $33 back in SYW points with the TV purchase, so that coupled with the cashback got me a really nice deal on the TV
orion2001 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off