Samsung PN51F5300 – What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 935 Old 12-14-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Yes, definitely don't let the bright showroom comparisons to LCDs negatively sway you. The typical showroom is MUCH brighter than your typical home setting. Once you get it home, it'll be plenty bright and you'll wonder why you ever thought there would be a problem. Unless, you plan to watch in bright light at home a lot. Then the decision gets a little more complicated.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 935 Old 12-14-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I finally received mine after all the bad weather in Dallas. Got it hooked up yesterday and just wanted to say thanks to stereomandan for posting his settings. The TV picture looks outstanding. I watched a couple movies last night and everything looks great. The detail and clarity of the picture is outstanding. Of course, I'm easily pleased coming from a 5-6 year old Westinghouse LCD. I've only had it for a day, but I love it so far.

The only 2 things that bother me are the glossy surface and the buzzing. The buzzing is slight and really only noticeable when nothing is playing. The glare is pretty brutal during the day, though, especially since I have windows on the opposite wall. I knew the screen was glossy prior to purchasing it, so I knew what I was getting into. Still, I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad, but it's pretty reflective during the day. Either I'll have to get some curtains, or rearrange the room.

Regardless, the picture is amazing, especially for the price, so I am happy overall.
gus738 likes this.
post #93 of 935 Old 12-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for your input, gimbal. I'm hoping it drops in price when tomorrow's ads come out.
post #94 of 935 Old 12-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I was reading that this set just 6 months ago was like 900, so even paying 649 on sammy site is a bargain.

post #95 of 935 Old 12-14-2013, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just want to clarify a couple things. This tv has no issues with 24p. If you feed the set a 24p signal you have two options.

1. Turn on cinema smooth in film mode. This converts 24p to 96hz to preserve the proper film cadence. I know CNET had found issues with the 5500 with proper 24p cadence, but I do not notice any issues with it on the 5300. This is not the same as soap opera smoothing grossness found on other sets.

Or

2. Leave cinema smooth of and let the tv convert the 24p signal to 60hz. This is how most of us have been watching movies at home for decades. Most people will not notice the difference.
post #96 of 935 Old 12-15-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by will7046 View Post

Just want to clarify a couple things. This tv has no issues with 24p. If you feed the set a 24p signal you have two options.

1. Turn on cinema smooth in film mode. This converts 24p to 96hz to preserve the proper film cadence. I know CNET had found issues with the 5500 with proper 24p cadence, but I do not notice any issues with it on the 5300. This is not the same as soap opera smoothing grossness found on other sets.

Or

2. Leave cinema smooth of and let the tv convert the 24p signal to 60hz. This is how most of us have been watching movies at home for decades. Most people will not notice the difference.

To be honest with you, I think CNETS reviewers are a bit sensitive to these judder issues. They have made similar comments about my Panasonic S60. I have tried both the 24 and 60HZ settings on my player, watching several BD's, and noticed very little judder, if any.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #97 of 935 Old 12-15-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

To be honest with you, I think CNETS reviewers are a bit sensitive to these judder issues. They have made similar comments about my Panasonic S60. I have tried both the 24 and 60HZ settings on my player, watching several BD's, and noticed very little judder, if any.

Ian

Me too.
post #98 of 935 Old 12-16-2013, 01:56 PM

I set up my PN51F5300 and everything looks great except for one stuck red pixel!...  I haven't run any pixel flipping videos yet, although I did try playing the Incredibles as suggested elsewhere to no avail.

I am pretty picky about things like this.  However, the pixel isn't noticeable while sitting on the couch and I don't want to send this back only to receive another with more stuck pixels.  How common is this?  Does anybody else's have stuck pixels or was I just the lucky one :D

post #99 of 935 Old 12-16-2013, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have zero...I don't recall hearing from the other F5300 owners with issues in regards to stuck pixels. May just be a bad panel, unfortunately. If it were me, I'd swap out the set. I would imagine the odds of getting another one would be low.

post #100 of 935 Old 12-16-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaDave View Post

I set up my PN51F5300 and everything looks great except for one stuck red pixel!...  I haven't run any pixel flipping videos yet, although I did try playing the Incredibles as suggested elsewhere to no avail.

I am pretty picky about things like this.  However, the pixel isn't noticeable while sitting on the couch and I don't want to send this back only to receive another with more stuck pixels.  How common is this?  Does anybody else's have stuck pixels or was I just the lucky one biggrin.gif

Sorry to hear that.. Don't mess around return it and get another one. Let us know the status.

post #101 of 935 Old 12-16-2013, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaDave View Post

I am pretty picky about things like this.  However, the pixel isn't noticeable while sitting on the couch and I don't want to send this back only to receive another with more stuck pixels.  How common is this?  Does anybody else's have stuck pixels or was I just the lucky one biggrin.gif

Think I noticed one on mine before. Don't remember where and I'm not going to look for it. It's very common for plasmas to have at least one somewhere. Most people will never notice and the worst thing to do is go looking for it.
gus738 likes this.
post #102 of 935 Old 12-17-2013, 06:35 AM

Liked: 15
You know what's interesting is no matter what settings you have on this TV with hockey it seems like it flashes. I had contrast, brightness, and cell light down to zero and I could still see it flashing on the dim screen. Looked like a Gameboy screen a bit, no white or brightness at all.

Also it never flashes in NHL 14, despite the ice being much more white than in real life. The ice defiantly dampens as the game goes on but it's not flashing at all. There's another mode where you play as a single player and take shifts, the ice on NHL 14 is comically white and I can play on that mode for 2-3 minutes at a time with no blinking or dampening of the ice at all..

Makes me believe it could actually be fixed via a firmware update but since the F5500 guys haven't been fixed it seems doubtful.
post #103 of 935 Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 AM

I havent watched any hockey but have you tried turning the eco settings off to help with the screen flashing?
post #104 of 935 Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtangletn View Post

You know what's interesting is no matter what settings you have on this TV with hockey it seems like it flashes. I had contrast, brightness, and cell light down to zero and I could still see it flashing on the dim screen. Looked like a Gameboy screen a bit, no white or brightness at all.

Also it never flashes in NHL 14, despite the ice being much more white than in real life. The ice defiantly dampens as the game goes on but it's not flashing at all. There's another mode where you play as a single player and take shifts, the ice on NHL 14 is comically white and I can play on that mode for 2-3 minutes at a time with no blinking or dampening of the ice at all..

Makes me believe it could actually be fixed via a firmware update but since the F5500 guys haven't been fixed it seems doubtful.

Somebody mentioned the D series had that flashes/off white and had a firmware to fix it. I actually see it on commercials that have that have all white on the screen and it looks washed out, but everything else looks great.

post #105 of 935 Old 12-17-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDIrish147 View Post

I havent watched any hockey but have you tried turning the eco settings off to help with the screen flashing?

Yeah, all the backlight changing, eco settings are off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Somebody mentioned the D series had that flashes/off white and had a firmware to fix it. I actually see it on commercials that have that have all white on the screen and it looks washed out, but everything else looks great.

Yeah, I've read the F8500 series had the flashes and they updated it.. sadly though I'm doubtful of any firmware updates for the F5300, even if the F5500 gets the update.

It's just sort of strange, I wonder how the ABL determines the brightness.. clearly it has nothing to do with the actual intensity of the backlight and more to do with some kind of content algorithm. This would explain why even putting the white balance down to warmer whites doesn't really help much either.

Although, still can't figure out why NHL 14 doesn't flash at all and actual hockey flashes like a rave..
post #106 of 935 Old 12-17-2013, 05:03 PM

Wow, and mystery solved.

http://imgur.com/a/EzNcq

It's actually photography flash.. I had once read that and thought it was just Plasma fans making an excuse up, because after all I've never seen it on an LCD... so I decided to check my DVR and sure enough it's all photography flash.

That would explain why the TV would still have them when all the settings were off..

Amazing... thank god because I love this TV outside that (and the 2 HDMI ports..) get to happily keep my $450, purchase of Alaska esque deal. biggrin.gif
post #107 of 935 Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtangletn View Post

Wow, and mystery solved.

http://imgur.com/a/EzNcq

It's actually photography flash.. I had once read that and thought it was just Plasma fans making an excuse up, because after all I've never seen it on an LCD... so I decided to check my DVR and sure enough it's all photography flash.

That would explain why the TV would still have them when all the settings were off..

Amazing... thank god because I love this TV outside that (and the 2 HDMI ports..) get to happily keep my $450, purchase of Alaska esque deal. biggrin.gif

Glad you got it figured out!

Dan
post #108 of 935 Old 12-18-2013, 07:20 AM

Me too, now to go on a crusade to stop flash photography at NHL hockey games.. I mean seriously.. totally unnecessary.. make them shoot with fast lenses.

It's one of those things too where you'll probably never notice it until you look for it but once you do it's all over, you'll see it. I was watching a highlight on my LCD monitor and sure enough, it's there.

Anyway, back to the TV.. one crappy thing about the TV being a more stripped down model is I don't think they have HDMI-CEC/Control over HDMI.. which is too bad because that means I have to use my PS3 controller when I want to watch Netflix, rather than just the TV's. Am I missing it or is it just not there?
post #109 of 935 Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not even sure what you're talking about. smile.gif I've always used my PS3 controller (the dedicated PS3 DVD/Bluray remote) for Netflix navigation. Very user friendly remote, but it is a seperate remote I guess.

I didn't know a TV's remote worked for Netflix with the PS3 on some TV's.

Dan
post #110 of 935 Old 12-18-2013, 09:37 AM

HDMI-CEC is a feature that allows control over HDMI and other little things dealing with HDMI.

Like for example on my other Samsung if I turn on my PS3 the TV detects the signal and changes the channel to my PS3. It would also switch inputs back once it detected it was off.

You could also enable control over HDMI, so you could control your PS3 using the TV's remote, which was nice for Netflix since you don't have to have multiple remotes.
post #111 of 935 Old 12-19-2013, 06:36 AM

Anybody try hooking up a PC to the the 5300 via HDMI? If yes do you get sound through the TV? It worked on my Vizio LCD, but it doesn't look like it works with the 5300?

post #112 of 935 Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It should, I've done it several times with mine.

post #113 of 935 Old 12-19-2013, 07:58 AM

I'll give it a go again Karl, but not sure it will work. I even used my receiver and no sound. How do you have yours setup?

post #114 of 935 Old 12-19-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

I'll give it a go again Karl, but not sure it will work. I even used my receiver and no sound. How do you have yours setup?

Just to cover all cases, did you recently use your Vizio and it worked? I only ask because this sounds like an issue with the computer and not the TV. If there was an audio signal present, I don't see why the TV wouldn't play it. It's possible your video card drivers changed or something along those lines.
post #115 of 935 Old 12-19-2013, 04:11 PM

Thanks Gimbal. I did some trouble shooting and my Samsung HDMI was not default on my comp, so now it is and it works fine, phew I was gonna send it back,eek.gif No not really.cool.gif

post #116 of 935 Old 12-20-2013, 12:26 PM

Hi guys - just picked up the 51" F5300 a few days ago and so far I'm really liking it.  Coming from an older 32" Samsung LCD, the difference is...shocking.  My only concern at this point is the amount of buzzing that I'm hearing from this unit.  I know all plasma's buzz, but I'm able to hear this one even while watching TV with the sound up at 15-20 and sitting about 10ft away. It's drowned out during explosions and loud music, but in a normal dialogue scene, it's hard to miss the buzzing.  In your experience, is this normal behavior, or is it possible that I got a bad unit that needs replacing?   I picked it up from BB so replacing it for a new one shouldn't be too much of an issue.  Thanks so much!

post #117 of 935 Old 12-20-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The 60" version is on Best Buy today for 800. for those interested.
post #118 of 935 Old 12-20-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumcivilian View Post

Hi guys - just picked up the 51" F5300 a few days ago and so far I'm really liking it.  Coming from an older 32" Samsung LCD, the difference is...shocking.  My only concern at this point is the amount of buzzing that I'm hearing from this unit.  I know all plasma's buzz, but I'm able to hear this one even while watching TV with the sound up at 15-20 and sitting about 10ft away. It's drowned out during explosions and loud music, but in a normal dialogue scene, it's hard to miss the buzzing.  In your experience, is this normal behavior, or is it possible that I got a bad unit that needs replacing?   I picked it up from BB so replacing it for a new one shouldn't be too much of an issue.  Thanks so much!

Mine also buzzes and it irritates me a little. I tend to be more prone to noticing those kinds of things, though. I think most people wouldn't really notice. It buzzes more loudly when bright screens are displayed.

I don't know how loud 15-20 is on the TV (I have audio directed through loudspeakers), but I think chances are that your TV is working fine and it's just something you will need to adjust to hearing. Of course, I cannot tell you for a fact that it is fine or not because I am not there experiencing it. However, it really comes down to your enjoyment and whether you can accept that buzz. If it's too much, then just know that if you return it, you may still end up with another TV that buzzes similarly.

I just wanted to offer you my opinion, because I, too, came from an older LCD that I have been using for 5-6 years. I am acclimated to how the LCD did not buzz and now I am hearing the plasma and, at times, it irritates me that I can hear it, but I'm fairly certain the set is perfectly fine.
post #119 of 935 Old 12-21-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumcivilian View Post

I can't hear mine buzz at all. I would look into trying another one. Neither of my two Samsung plasma's buzz at all.

Dan
post #120 of 935 Old 12-21-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 63
stereomandan,

what's with the dip on gamma at 80%? have you got a chance to play with it more? just curious. thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page