AVS Forum banner

Samsung PN51F5300 â?? What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside

223K views 2K replies 253 participants last post by  ambesolman 
#1 ·
Update 12-3-13: Updated the Color Space values below to improve the color gamut even further

To be fair, here is a list of the pros and cons that has been gathered regarding this set:

Pros:

• Extremely accurate picture for the price. I'm very impressed with the accuracy, to the point that it is easy to see problems in source material because you know how well the set can display good, accurate source material.
  • Amazing capability for dialing in the calibration of the set
  • Good Black level (again, not top of the line, but good.)
  • Very little noise in the picture. Very clean.

Cons:

• Reflective Screen (may or may not be an issue for you)
  • Not as bright as some other plasma's (although I have found it to be plenty bright in my very bright great room) 36 ftL is nothing to sneeze at.
  • No 3D
  • No built-in wifi for Netflix and such (you'll need a separate device like a PS3, or Roku, etc...)
  • Some brightness issues when playing games or watching sports with all white backgrounds. IMO, this is a very limited problem, as in normal viewing content I haven't seen any indication of this.
  • Two HDMI inputs

So in summary, if you are looking for a no frills set that has a very accurate picture, at a low price, this set should be at the top of your short list.

You can pick up this 51” 1080P plasma for about $530 at many big box stores right now, and it’s a steal IMO. (edit: At this points it's back closer to $650, but still very price competitive)

This set sure performs, and has an amazing capability for calibration. The ability to adjust not only white balance, but the entire color gamut is awesome for the price. Throw in the gamma adjustment and you can really make this set shine.

The set looks fantastic, with excellent motion handling, dead on color, and plenty of brightness for my needs. I have this set in a living room with 9’ by 7’ window, but the TV faces away from the windows, so the impact of the screen’s reflectivity is minimized.

Please see the attachments for the grey scale, gamma, and color space results.

Here are my calibration results. Nothing short of superb in my opinion. The light output with these settings, based on my i1Pro, is 36 ftL for what it’s worth.

Here are my settings, based on calibrations with my i1Pro:

Picture Mode = Standard

Color Tone: Standard

All filters or digital "aids" are turned off

Cell Light = 20

Contrast = 100

Brightness = 49

Sharpness = 0

Color = 50

Tint = 50

Advanced Settings all off or zero

Gamma = -2

White Balance:

Red Offset = 23

Green Offset = 25

Blue Offset = 8

Red Gain = 23

Green Gain = 29

Blue Gain = 13

Color Space = Custom

Red:

R=35

G=14

B=11

Green:

R=32

G=38

B=18

Blue:

R=15

G=11

B=39

Yellow:

R=43

G=43

B=16

Cyan:

R=30

G=46

B=46

Magenta:

R=40

G=13

B=42

PN51F5300GreyScale.jpg 49k .jpg file
PN51F5300Gamma.jpg 43k .jpg file
PN51F5300ColorSpace.jpg 36k .jpg file

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you for posting!
Man I've been thinking about this set. It is the cheapest I've seen. Are the colors and deep black that good? Today is the last day for this sale too.
Could you take some pics of it if you can.

#4 ·
Glad to help!

Colors are absolutely spot on. To be honest, I haven't seen a display with color this accurate, since the capability to calibrate is so high with this menu system. The greyscale and color gamut can both be tweaked very, very well.

Blacks are very good, but not great. To get much better though, you are going to pay a lot more. In mixed content, the blacks are super. With a mostly black background, like white text on a black background, you can see the blacks but they are still very good.

Will try to take some photos if I get a chance

Dan

#5 ·
Thanks Dan Now you got me excited! I have a Vizio LCD about 3 yrs old This one: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SV370XVT.../dp/B002L9SZD2 , which has great colors, but the blacks are not so dark. Hopefully it will be much better on the samsung. Can I ask the amount you paid and where you bought it? You can PM if you don't want to say aloud.
I see the Samsung store has it for 577 shipped. Itchy fingers.

#6 ·
Update with new photos....

Here's some quick photos I snapped. I just resized them for this site...

IMG_9307.JPG 488k .JPG file
IMG_9306.JPG 469k .JPG file
IMG_9308.JPG 232k .JPG file
IMG_9309.JPG 360k .JPG file
IMG_9310.JPG 439k .JPG file
IMG_9325.JPG 355k .JPG file
IMG_9327.JPG 440k .JPG file
IMG_9329.JPG 378k .JPG file
IMG_9313.JPG 333k .JPG file

Dan

Attachments

#7 ·

Thank you Dan! That pics with the tree looks great. The blue looks great. I'm sure looks better in person too. How do you like the remote? Does the bezel move to rotate it?

#9 ·
Based on my suggestion, my brother purchased this display (and size) earlier in the year when it was first released. I spent 4-5 hours with it and simply used the AVS patterns and the Munsil disc to adjust basic settings and I was really impressed with the set. It was the best set in its price range I could recommend for him.

#10 ·
#12 ·
I ordered this last night off Best Buy, $530 + they were giving $10 gift cards/coupons for every $100 spent.. so $50 in that. Plus the regular reward zone points of about $20... so if I count the coupons I got the total price for this TV is about $460...

I bought my mediocre as hell 32" Vizio E3D series last year for $300 and that was a fairly good deal. Now this had 3D (don't care) and apps (also don't care) so it does have some perks but holy hell.. $460 for a 51" 1080p Plasma with pretty damn good image quality is mind-blowing to me. Can't wait till it comes in Friday!

#13 ·
Stereoman, thanks for posting the settings! I picked up the 60" version last night. I will try out the settings when I get home.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside#post_24021887

Nice post, serves as a reminder that plasma is still the per-dollar image-quality king.
You would think more folks would realize this. Sadly they think brighter is better and are falsely impressed by torch mode LEDs displayed in stores. With poor pic quality and washed out images that fade from the side. And poor black levels. Hopefully Samsung and LG will continue to produce plasmas, as Panasonic is abandoning that segment. Even the entry level F4500 plasma from Samsung is nicer than many LEDs, even at 720p.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtangletn  /t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside#post_24025912

I ordered this last night off Best Buy, $530 + they were giving $10 gift cards/coupons for every $100 spent.. so $50 in that. Plus the regular reward zone points of about $20... so if I count the coupons I got the total price for this TV is about $460...

I bought my mediocre as hell 32" Vizio E3D series last year for $300 and that was a fairly good deal. Now this had 3D (don't care) and apps (also don't care) so it does have some perks but holy hell.. $460 for a 51" 1080p Plasma with pretty damn good image quality is mind-blowing to me. Can't wait till it comes in Friday!

Wow, that's a steal. I also got mine at BB and picked it up at the store this past Sunday, but didn't get the $10/$100 spent. Oh well. Still a great price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenyi  /t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside#post_24025986

Stereoman, thanks for posting the settings! I picked up the 60" version last night. I will try out the settings when I get home.

I'm going to make some tweaks to the color space settings to see if I can refine it even further, but my settings above should be a very good place to start. (assuming the 60" calibrates similar to the 51")
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz  /t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside#post_24026117

Perfect timing Stereoman.

It's time to replace my trusty 720p Panasonic 50X1.

Thanks

BTW: Where would you get this for $530? Lowest I am seeing is $650.

Please see Kurtangletn's post above.

Dan

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz  /t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside#post_24026117

Thanks

It was a Black Friday week deal, ended yesterday..

I'd expect it to pop back up, but Samsung does control their pricing, so it's going to be across the board.

#19 ·

Quote:

Thanks

Hate to double post but just got an alert from the deal forums and Dell just listed it at $527.99

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A6813243&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch&dgc=CJ&cid=24471&lid=566643&acd=10550055-4485850-WK-HllxcEeORvfLLArRDVQ0_Q6mq3_0_0_0

Free shipping

#21 ·
Nice results on your calibration.

I too have this set and I had great results with my own calibration with my i1 Display Pro and ColorHCFR. I've honestly never had an easier time calibrating a set then I did on this model. It had all of the calibration controls that anyone could ask for (with the exception of Multipoint Gamma) so no comprimises had to made which really speed up the process. At this price level that rarely happens.

I've been recommending this set to everyone one here, and everyone I know for months, that is looking for a great performing set and can't afford to break the bank.

In my opinion, this is the best budget set ever made if you can get it in the $500 range that alot of people have been able too lately.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtangletn  /t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside#post_24027154

Hate to double post but just got an alert from the deal forums and Dell just listed it at $527.99

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A6813243&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch&dgc=CJ&cid=24471&lid=566643&acd=10550055-4485850-WK-HllxcEeORvfLLArRDVQ0_Q6mq3_0_0_0

Free shipping

Thanks, I did some searches today too and saw it at Dell.com, but I much prefer to pick it up at a local B&M. Just don't want to risk receiving a damage package from shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealyak2011@hotm  /t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside#post_24027218

This is a great looking TV. My first plasma. Can anyone recommend a break-in strategy? Is this necessary. I'd hate to mess up my new TV!

Not sure what the break-in period is these days on Plasma TVs, which is also a debate if break-in is necessary.

But when I got my Pannie plasma a few years ago, I had it on every night for the whole week (basically 200-300 hours) before I do calibrations.

#23 ·
One thing to mention is this is one of the most reflective TVs out there, it's pretty bad.

I was checking my friends out today in some average lighting situations, it wasn't massively bright in the living room, but not exactly darkened.. if that makes any sense. Anyway, watching bright/day light stuff was absolutely fine. Darker scenes showed quite a bit more reflections. Though he does have a big window the size of the room (front window), it had average blinds on it (not darkening).

Later in the day when it was darker I could see it again and tested it with the overhead light, which surprisingly it handled pretty well.

I hope my room isn't an issue, but that was kind of a bit more heartening.

Still wouldn't watch the Dark Night or a really dark movie during the daytime with it, not that I plan to much anyway. Colors though on this tv, amazingly clean and clear. I didn't see any line bleed or dithering (I think that's the term) on it.. also it's nice that it turns on pretty quickly and without the "click" I have on my 680.

Mine is being shipped to store from Best Buy and should be ready for pickup Friday
, can't wait!

#24 ·
I updated the calibration settings in my first post to improve the Color Gamut even further.

Now that I've had time with the menu system, I have a better understanding of how the color space values impact the color gamut. WHen I calibrate, I consider the whole color gamut, not just the 100% saturation points at the outside of the REC.709 gamut triangle.

Basically, my initial calibration put all the color saturations and hues in the right spot, but the lightness of the colors was too high.

This new calibration not only has the correct saturations and hues correct, but also the correct lightness. This one awesome set to calibrate.

One thing to note, do not touch the main color or tint controls. I found out quickly that if you reduce the main color control to bring down the color saturation at 100%, well then the 75%, 50% and 25% saturation values become WAY undersaturated. (I've seen something similar with other displays like Epson Projectors, although it works a little different)

See my calibration guide here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1134710/epson-calibration-guide-1080-1080ub-6100-6500ub-7500ub

Leave the main color control at 50 and only use the color space controls to adjust the saturation, hue and lightness of each primary and secondary color

Enjoy!

Dan

#726 ·

Now that I've had time with the menu system, I have a better understanding of how the color space values impact the color gamut. WHen I calibrate, I consider the whole color gamut, not just the 100% saturation points at the outside of the REC.709 gamut triangle.

Basically, my initial calibration put all the color saturations and hues in the right spot, but the lightness of the colors was too high.

This new calibration not only has the correct saturations and hues correct, but also the correct lightness. This one awesome set to calibrate.

One thing to note, do not touch the main color or tint controls. I found out quickly that if you reduce the main color control to bring down the color saturation at 100%, well then the 75%, 50% and 25% saturation values become WAY undersaturated. (I've seen something similar with other displays like Epson Projectors, although it works a little different)
Dan, I had a question about calibrating colors using the CMS controls on this panel. I've read through the entire thread regarding the Epson calibrations. With regards to this panel what was your calibration approach? Did you go with 100% Brightness, 75% Saturation windows for color calibration, or 100% Saturation, 75% Stimulus? Also, I presume that whatever approach you take, you basically tweak the custom white point controls for primary and secondary colors to match up xyY for all of them to whatever patches you are using for calibration (ie 100% Color, 75% Color, 75% Saturation, etc). Ultimately, do you just tweak the primaries and secondaries as best you can for a fixed brightness and saturation and then "hope" that the colors and saturations track well across the rest of the range?

Thanks for the excellent Epson tutorial and the Excel spreadsheet. I'm looking forward to calibrating my PN60F5300 over the weekend.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan  /t/1503133/samsung-pn51f5300-what-a-little-gem-i1pro-calibration-results-inside#post_24023565

Update with new photos....

Here's some quick photos I snapped. I just resized them for this site...

IMG_9307.JPG 488k .JPG file
IMG_9306.JPG 469k .JPG file
IMG_9308.JPG 232k .JPG file
IMG_9309.JPG 360k .JPG file
IMG_9310.JPG 439k .JPG file
IMG_9325.JPG 355k .JPG file
IMG_9327.JPG 440k .JPG file
IMG_9329.JPG 378k .JPG file
IMG_9313.JPG 333k .JPG file

Dan

I'm curious where is that picture of the tree from? It really showcases the PQ of this set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.