Upgrade to ZT60 from VT50> - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-02-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 105
So my 65VT50 is 15 months old and I see Panasonic is getting out of the plasma business. I have always loved Panasonic plasmas and with all the rave "better than Kuro" reviews for the ZT60 I am debating on getting a new 65ZT60 to replace my 65VT50. I know I probably won;t notice a huge difference, but I love inky blacks and run my room very dark for movies and usually lit with a single 100 watt bulb for normal TV viewing. Am I nuts to want to own the last best plasma made? I was going to pick up a cheap 55 inch plasma for the basement, so the VT50 could be the over kill set for the basement and also serve as a backup set should the ZT60 die an early death and no comparable replacement be available. I suspect OLED is still 5+ years from being as economical and durable. And while I read Samsung plasmas are decent, there is no guarantee that with Panasonic exiting Plasma that Samsung would not do the same soon as they all move on to 4K and OLED.

Has anyone else made this crazy short term upgrade, if so have you noticed the improvement? I noticed Amazon and BB have the 65ZT60 for $2899 today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

So my 65VT50 is 15 months old and I see Panasonic is getting out of the plasma business. I have always loved Panasonic plasmas and with all the rave "better than Kuro" reviews for the ZT60 I am debating on getting a new 65ZT60 to replace my 65VT50. I know I probably won;t notice a huge difference, but I love inky blacks and run my room very dark for movies and usually lit with a single 100 watt bulb for normal TV viewing. Am I nuts to want to own the last best plasma made? I was going to pick up a cheap 55 inch plasma for the basement, so the VT50 could be the over kill set for the basement and also serve as a backup set should the ZT60 die an early death and no comparable replacement be available. I suspect OLED is still 5+ years from being as economical and durable. And while I read Samsung plasmas are decent, there is no guarantee that with Panasonic exiting Plasma that Samsung would not do the same soon as they all move on to 4K and OLED.

Has anyone else made this crazy short term upgrade, if so have you noticed the improvement? I noticed Amazon and BB have the 65ZT60 for $2899 today.

I went for the crazy upgrade. I have a 55VT50 and upgraded to a 60ZT60. I definitely notice an improvement in black and shadow detail compared to the VT50. The ZT60 is a bit dimmer than VT50 with the settings I am currently using, so factor that in as well. I would say I am satisfied with my purchase. However, I do caution that I didn't think the ZT60 was as good out of the box as the VT50 I had about 1500 hours on. After 200 hours and playing with settings I really am digging my ZT60 now, but the panel seems to benefit from a good break-in period. I will get the ZT60 calibrated sometime in January after I get about another 200 hours on it or so. If you have the money to spend and you prefer Panasonic plasma to other brands (as do I) then I say go for it. I never jumped on the Kuro when they were on fire sale, and always regretted it.

Yup, I got stuff...
Panasonic 60ZT60
Pioneer Elite SC-87, Oppo BDP-103D, PSB Synchrony two mains, center, and Synchrony S surrounds
Subwoofer-still looking!
PS4
post #3 of 3 Old 12-03-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Have not gotten much feedback, but I went and did it yesterday and ordered it. Amazon had it for $2900 and BB for $2899. I prefer BB because I am Elite status and their customer service has been great. When I got my VT50 the Olympics left nasty NBC IR in the screen and BB swapped out the set as their Geek Squad warranty covers IR. So yest BB warranty is pricey, but my BB has treated me very well, and having local delivery and pickup (if an issue) is worth it to me. I missed out on Juro, but want to at least have the current King Of Plasma for a few years. Maybe Samsung will catch up, but not to dis the Sammy fans, but I have not been a huge Sammy or LG fan.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page