Why are you watching movies in a pitch black room or are you not? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Why are you watching movies in a pitch black room or are you not?
Black Room: Beacuse my antiglare filter is bad and washes out the blacks on my screen as soon i turn on some ambient light 0 0%
Black Room: The brightness on my TV is low and cant keep up with some ambient light..it looks dull 0 0%
Black Room: I want the Highest possible Dynamic Range and Contrast ratio...i take no prisoners 6 30.00%
Black Room: I use a black room because it gives me the best viewing experience for my tv 5 25.00%
Black Room: I dont want any reflections on my TV...and i surely dont want to see myself in it! 2 10.00%
Black Room: In every TV Demo Shootout/Review they uses a pitch black room so im watching like the pros! 1 5.00%
Ambient Light: I use ambient light to hide the crappy blacks on my tv...it sure looks so much better with it! 1 5.00%
Ambient Light: I use ambient light only because its more relaxing for my eyes 0 0%
Ambient Light: I use ambient light because it gives me the best viewing experience for my tv 2 10.00%
Ambient Light: i use ambient light because i like reflections on my TV..its cool and adds more pop to the picture and colors. 1 5.00%
Ambient Light and Black Room: i have 2 TVs and switching between them depending on what im watching. 0 0%
Ambient Light and Black Room: i use both depending on what im watching 2 10.00%
Ambient Light and Black Room: My OLED tv is so Good so i can use both with great results..Bright image and Pure blacks 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 176
whats the benefits compared to a low lit room?
or are there any benefits?

i make a poll since im curious
you can choose more than one answer

maybe it depends on what tv you have and how old it is.
things changes wink.gif
i post this in the Plasma section but it should be for the LCD users aswell.

Personally i cant see the point.
watching movies in a completely dark room makes you tired as hell.
your eyes must adjust from bright light to low blacks all the time.

whats the point do you think?
if its something else besides the votes then make a comment.

please
no flamewar here smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I have a 50 inch 5020 Kuro and a 70 inch Sharp 735 backlit LED tv. I still use my Kuro for watching all my blu ray movies, and I use my 70 inch for watching sports and regular tv. The black levels on my Kuro are so much better than my Sharp, but the Sharp is a brighter display for regular viewing with a light on in the room or during the day. When I watch movies on my Kuro, the room is dark with no ambient lighting. I sit about 5 feet away from the 50 inch Kuro which makes viewing more immersive, and produces less strain on the eyes. Both tv's are professionally calibrated, so they don't burn my eyes like torch mode sets.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #3 of 10 Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 PM

Liked: 14
I watch in pitch darkness because it lets me focus entirely on what I'm watching... pure image and nothing else.

It's never made me tired as hell because my brightness is set low, I do imagine it would be very fatiguing if the brightness was cranked up like some people typically do, but I've never experienced this personally.
shenaniganz08 likes this.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Blu-ray, only in pitch black room.

Sports or any other programming in bright room and with lights on at night.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-02-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_0002 View Post

I watch in pitch darkness because it lets me focus entirely on what I'm watching... pure image and nothing else.

It's never made me tired as hell because my brightness is set low, I do imagine it would be very fatiguing if the brightness was cranked up like some people typically do, but I've never experienced this personally.

good point!
low brightness is a must if you watching in a dark room

i should have added one more vote lol
i have two tvs
i switch between them for daytime and night viewing

Edit: new votes so vote again please
post #6 of 10 Old 12-02-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Good 3d doesn't bother me, but crappy 3d strains my eyes so bad it makes me super sleepy. I prefer a dark room for the same reasons Vic mentioned above.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-02-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 502
despite your large variety of possible answers, I still have a different one:

black room, because I want to watch the image on the tv only, not what's in my room. also, it's kind of a habit formed from the crt days. the image on screen absolutely looks better with some bias lighting, but I feel like that's admitting I've been defeated and forced to use an inferior technology...

so, I WANT to watch in a black room because I think that's the 'right' way to do it. when I don't watch in a dark room, it's because black isn't dark enough

using an f8500 btw, have to turn the cell light down to 12/20 otherwise it's too bright(hurts to watch for a long period) in my dark room
post #8 of 10 Old 12-03-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I game with a bias light and watch movies usually without one (though sometimes I do if eyestrain occurs).
post #9 of 10 Old 12-03-2013, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 62

Am I the only one who multi-tasks by watching TV while also on the computer or eating dinner? I can't balance my checkbook by the light of The Princess Bride, and separating the recycle from shred when going through my mail By the Light of the Silvery Moon just doesn't work.

The only times I watch the TV in a darkened room is when it looks like the Producer forgot to pay the electric bill so even the tiniest flicker of light overwhelms the picture. (I still have bad memories of trying to watch House of Wax in a theater and for most of the movie the emergency exit sign was painting more light on the screen than the projector. It was years later I got the disc from Netflix so I could actually watch it in a darken room rather than guess what was happening while watching a red screen.)

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-03-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

Am I the only one who multi-tasks by watching TV while also on the computer or eating dinner? I can't balance my checkbook by the light of The Princess Bride, and separating the recycle from shred when going through my mail By the Light of the Silvery Moon just doesn't work.

The only times I watch the TV in a darkened room is when it looks like the Producer forgot to pay the electric bill so even the tiniest flicker of light overwhelms the picture. (I still have bad memories of trying to watch House of Wax in a theater and for most of the movie the emergency exit sign was painting more light on the screen than the projector. It was years later I got the disc from Netflix so I could actually watch it in a darken room rather than guess what was happening while watching a red screen.)

are you WATCHING your tv? I do the 'tv on in the background' thing quite often as well, but I don't consider that watching tv. I mean, in that situation I wouldn't care if the image was way too dim, or cropped, or whatever. when I'm watching the tv, for movie or otherwise, I prefer that's the only thing I see. like the red exit sign, I don't want any distractions in the room. since putting a tv up on a black wall and having one chair in the room is not very practical, a dark room is the only way to hide what's in it.

that being said, for non-movie content, I certainly don't mind some ambient light. but I don't like it over my head. I have lights near the tv and lights over the seating area on separate dimmers, and I try to keep the seating lights at a min at all times. they are basically there so I can see what I'm doing when I clean up, haha.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le735u 70 Inch Internet Ready Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page