Are Plasma TVs going to be phased out completely? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 235 Old 01-17-2014, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A bit off topic, but somewhat related.

This is all the reason why a lot of the Japanese media giants are failing: http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/17/panasonic-cf-mx3-convertible-laptop/#comments

I mean, who the feck ships an ultraportable with a DVD drive in this day and age. I felt like slapping myself just for reading that article. All those millions spent on R&D for a god damn DVD drive and a VGA port. LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 235 Old 01-17-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I'm not seeing the outrage or correlation. Just another option for those who like optical on-the-go.
post #213 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 06:03 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I'm not seeing the outrage or correlation. Just another option for those who like optical on-the-go.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/05/us-sony-vaio-idUSBREA131TU20140205

For those that are interested. Again, I understand your perspective, vinnie, but laptops with DVD drives (not even a blu-ray drive) in 2014 is laughable at best. The likes of Sony and Panny were the first to enter these markets (TV, mobile, PC), but they're at least 10 years behind their competition now from a product development perspective.

As a consumer, these are not good developments, but the Japanese companies have themselves to blame. It has to do with culture a lot I think - I admire the Japanese way - but even in these rough times their egos and emotions are driving their decisions. They sold the PC division on the down-low to another Japanese firm which I think is pretty weak.
post #214 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I'm with Vinnie, I can't think of too many consumer laptops or business ones for that matter that ship with blu-ray drives. Apple as I am sure you know has never adopted it. Most people who use their computers for a/v purposes are streaming, not watching blu-rays. My son and his friends being good examples. Computer as we know it is dying a slow death, just like my beloved physical media. Outrage no, just change. There is a reason nearly every blu-ray you purchase has a DVD included in the box smile.gif
post #215 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You're too busy playing with your phone or tablet if you think computers are dying. The perfect illustration is Windows 8. The outrage against W8 is not because it is a bad operating system, it is because MS chose to believe everybody wanted everything to look like their phones and tablets. While great for playing "Angry Birds" it was terrible for desktops and just GETTING WORK DONE.
Laptops don't ship with Blurays for the simple reason that the average person has no need for one. Easier to just plug in a flash drive with a video file or backup to portable drives rather than expensive optical media.

The reason that these "boutique" makers are abandoning the pc market is that it is a commodity market now. Nobody wants to pay a premium for a "name brand" computer. Apple is another example starting that path. There used to be a "bohemian" love affair with Apple and a cult following. The stock trades for hundreds of times what it is worth. Now Apple is the butt of commercial jokes and being crushed on all sides by the competition. The novelty has worn off. Now you're just another clown with a device that has half the features that you paid double for.
rushfan2112 likes this.

Tony
post #216 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanes View Post

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/05/us-sony-vaio-idUSBREA131TU20140205

For those that are interested. Again, I understand your perspective, vinnie, but laptops with DVD drives (not even a blu-ray drive) in 2014 is laughable at best. The likes of Sony and Panny were the first to enter these markets (TV, mobile, PC), but they're at least 10 years behind their competition now from a product development perspective.

As a consumer, these are not good developments, but the Japanese companies have themselves to blame. It has to do with culture a lot I think - I admire the Japanese way - but even in these rough times their egos and emotions are driving their decisions. They sold the PC division on the down-low to another Japanese firm which I think is pretty weak.
There is nothing wrong with giving the customer options. The fact that Sony and Panasonic are short on the Jenny Craig ultrabooks doesn't mean there's not a use for optical in a mobile application. Has the need diminished? Certainly. Sony's TV division is following right behind, so it's not from simply providing additional consumer options that these companies are in dire straits (the present-day economic challenges are contributing significantly in and of themselves).
post #217 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Sony actually just exited the PC business yesterday.
post #218 of 235 Old 02-06-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanes View Post

but laptops with DVD drives (not even a blu-ray drive) in 2014 is laughable at best. .

don't think it's that bad - I just ordered and received another Alienware, Alienware 14, DVD drive.. could have added a BR - no option for no drive.. for me it just makes for re-installing the o/s..

the 14 is one of the few laptops with an IPS screen, very respectable discrete graphics and primary processor... though targeted at the gaming community, it's not at all what I use them for...

The 14 is not an ultra portable though, they don't have the performance of the 14 either...
rushfan2112 likes this.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #219 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

You're too busy playing with your phone or tablet if you think computers are dying. The perfect illustration is Windows 8. The outrage against W8 is not because it is a bad operating system, it is because MS chose to believe everybody wanted everything to look like their phones and tablets. While great for playing "Angry Birds" it was terrible for desktops and just GETTING WORK DONE.
Laptops don't ship with Blurays for the simple reason that the average person has no need for one. Easier to just plug in a flash drive with a video file or backup to portable drives rather than expensive optical media.

The reason that these "boutique" makers are abandoning the pc market is that it is a commodity market now. Nobody wants to pay a premium for a "name brand" computer. Apple is another example starting that path. There used to be a "bohemian" love affair with Apple and a cult following. The stock trades for hundreds of times what it is worth. Now Apple is the butt of commercial jokes and being crushed on all sides by the competition. The novelty has worn off. Now you're just another clown with a device that has half the features that you paid double for.

It is always good to see a post from someone who dislikes (hates) Apple rolleyes.gif Last time I checked Apple's stock was doing a heck lot better than PC makers or Microsoft. Apple earnings report last week was stellar, except for the slide in iPod sales. I believe Apple's market cap is nearly $150 billion more than the mighty Microsoft. Apples P/E ration is only 12, its stock is not selling at 100 times what it is worth - do you even understand how to value stocks? Compare that to Amazon whose PE is 603 and then we can talk about companies trading at a hundred times what they are worth. By the way I use a Mac and PC at work, they both have their strengths and weaknesses depending on your needs. Guess the largest employer is the state where I work is a buyer of boutique computers by your definition - interesting.

When you look at the numbers, computer sales are way down and continue to decrease despite the cheap Chromebooks coming out now. I love my computer, but outside of work (and I don't game on a computer) a tablet or a phone works just fine. By the way, do some reading, it is startling how many individuals under the age of 25 use their phone as their primary device for browsing, etc. Things are changing all around us and a post like yours reminds me of how many individuals struggle with change. Like the death of plasma.
post #220 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 AM

I don't like Apple (I don't like their cult-like followers and also feel their overvalued), but I'm also disgusted at Microsoft. I'm an equal opportunity hater. wink.gif
rushfan2112 likes this.
post #221 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Apple stock is propelled by the moron in the street and is based on the theory that the things they did in the past will continue to occur, ie; invent the next "big thing". Most of their "value" on what they WILL DO. As soon as you no longer have the "next big thing" the stock starts to tumble to what is reality. That is happening now and Apple is buying back stock to maintain price levels. Apple is next year's Sony. In a choice between MS (who bailed Apple out , what twice in the past?) and Apple, take MS.

Tony
post #222 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Mac's current market share is about 3% compared to PC. Between my wife and I, we have 4 laptops, including a Mac, 2 tablets, 2 smartphones and a desk top. We still prefer the PC's for most applications. I guess we are just a pair of old fogies! wink.gif

Ian biggrin.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #223 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Mac's current market share is about 3% compared to PC. Between my wife and I, we have 4 laptops, including a Mac, 2 tablets, 2 smartphones and a desk top. We still prefer the PC's for most applications. I guess we are just a pair of old fogies! wink.gif

Ian biggrin.gif

Well Ian I guess hubby and I must be "fogier" than you and your wife as we have No laptops, No tablets and No "smartphones"
Just a really nice desktop that my brother built for us. biggrin.gif

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #224 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

Apple stock is propelled by the moron in the street and is based on the theory that the things they did in the past will continue to occur, ie; invent the next "big thing". Most of their "value" on what they WILL DO. As soon as you no longer have the "next big thing" the stock starts to tumble to what is reality. That is happening now and Apple is buying back stock to maintain price levels. Apple is next year's Sony. In a choice between MS (who bailed Apple out , what twice in the past?) and Apple, take MS.

the thing that's always bothered me about apple is they TELL the consumer what they want.

and quite honestly, they haven't convinced me yet. even if the idea of the product is nice(ie, a tablet) they never end up building a product the way I actually want it(no upgradeable storage? really, an sd card slot would just be too much to ask for?)

apple is an amazing marketing company that also makes some good electronics
dRwOOD73 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #225 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Apple is an amazing marketing company that has the ability to completely brainwash people. I've never seen anything like it. I tried to like their products, I really did. I'm a gadget guy, Systems Admin, I see 1000's of mobile devices, tablets, PC's, etc in year (University IT) - I am so done with anything Apple now they can kiss my @#$. Nothing but trouble, high failure rate, silly little quirks that can never be fixed- every time a Student or Prof calls me about an issue the first thing I ask....is it a iCrap device? yup. big surprise.

I can't believe what Apple gets away with. Itunes is crap, the istore is crap, go on their own forums and there are users getting Visa information stolen every single day ( I was one of them). Yet - Apple is God, Jobs is God...bla bla bla, brain washed Zombies...nom nom nom.

Don't get me started.
dRwOOD73 likes this.
post #226 of 235 Old 02-07-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Apple is an amazing marketing company that has the ability to completely brainwash people. I've never seen anything like it. I tried to like their products, I really did. I'm a gadget guy, Systems Admin, I see 1000's of mobile devices, tablets, PC's, etc in year (University IT) - I am so done with anything Apple now they can kiss my @#$. Nothing but trouble, high failure rate, silly little quirks that can never be fixed- every time a Student or Prof calls me about an issue the first thing I ask....is it a iCrap device? yup. big surprise.

I can't believe what Apple gets away with. Itunes is crap, the istore is crap, go on their own forums and there are users getting Visa information stolen every single day ( I was one of them). Yet - Apple is God, Jobs is God...bla bla bla, brain washed Zombies...nom nom nom.

Don't get me started.

And you haven't even mentioned how they've been able to avoid paying all those billions in federal taxes! wink.gif

Ian biggrin.gif
dRwOOD73 likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #227 of 235 Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Don't get me started.

lol.. awesome post, I tried to like Apple as well - but just couldn't live with the restrictions..

post #228 of 235 Old 02-11-2014, 01:06 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

Sony actually just exited the PC business yesterday.

Where are your sources. 

post #229 of 235 Old 02-11-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
"google" the Internet. There are many recent articles reporting Sony has decided to sell its VAIO division to Japan Industrial Partners and exit the PC business.
post #230 of 235 Old 02-11-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

"google" the Internet. There are many recent articles reporting Sony has decided to sell its VAIO division to Japan Industrial Partners and exit the PC business.

Yeah, it's was a pretty big press release.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201402/14-019E/
post #231 of 235 Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

Yeah, it's was a pretty big press release.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201402/14-019E/

Good riddance. Not bad laptops, but too overpriced for the hardware and lack of features.  

mailiang likes this.
post #232 of 235 Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Don't get me started.

So what's the better choice for tablet or cell phone? Android? I've tried it and there no real nice Android phone on the market outside the HTC One but HTC has a horrible rep for CS and plastic phones are lame in 2014. Never had an issue with Apple, well I did fall and my phone dropped in water and stopped working so I called Apple told them what happen and they paid for shipping to them and back to me and since some paper didn't turn turn a color they gave me a new one. I don't get the Apple hate? Their the ones paving the way with both phones and tablets. I really am looking at switching from an iPhone just for change since I had a 3G then the 4 which I still use today and need a new phone but really there's not many options out there that has the built quality outside of HTC One but HTC is slow for software updates and a very shaky CS.
Sounds to me you have some kinda weird anti hate for Apple, now I'm no fan boy but I do like their products and service and haven't had issues with them but Samsung and others aren't giving me any reason to switch over outside of the bigger screen, which I do want.
How does iTunes suck? I love that I can listen to all my music in the cloud and use an AppleTV for all of this, I know other services offer that but doesn't match iTunes library, your also in Canada like me and Android doesn't even offer a place to buy music from, I like that with iTunes I can buy music or movies or tv series or rent them and it goes to all my i devices, something Android doesn't offer in Canada, I bought a HTC One by the way but sold it after I found that they don't even have a service like iTunes here in Canada. I really don't get why some fan boy a company or hate on a company, and even more how some resort to calling people who bought Apple products brain washed zombies... No I'm not a brain washed zombie but I also don't waste my time hating on or bitching about a company over the internet and try and name call people who buy their products to make me feel cool, now that's ****ed up. Honestly, I don't think so much blind hate towards a company is all that healthy but to each their own.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
post #233 of 235 Old 02-11-2014, 11:52 PM

^I understand why someone might have taken offense to that post, but it's the cult of Apple that's the most sickening (you may not be afflicted by it, but there is a contingent of loyalists who have earned that reputation), and the closed and proprietary environment in which they love to force you to operate. This is the kind of practice that got Sony in trouble yet ironically is one that gets praised by Apple's most strident loyalists.

Concerning iTunes, it's hideous bloatware. I have no desire to download and install yet another app on my PC just to be able to browse music to buy all the while feeding their bottom line. I already have a browser for that (with multiple online stores to boot) and can organize my collection as I see fit (not as Apple does) and can use a much more dynamic 3rd party mp3 tagger for organization.

I'm sorry you don't like any of the Android phones...I'm pretty happy with a Galaxy S3 (yes, a Samsung product I like and own eek.gif), but I'm not that particularly picky nor have I had much experience with Android phones outside of it. The iPhone is not really on my radar due to my general distaste for most things Apple (the only product I ever bothered owning was the Nano, which was not a bad piece of kit admittedly...after I installed 3rd party firmware on it)...as you said, to each their own.
post #234 of 235 Old 02-12-2014, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Apple may have its cult but so does Android, I have no interest in being in either cult and I don't care what company is at top as long as it making solid products that work better and are better than what I'm currently using. I like companies battling cause they spend billions on new tech that I pay hundreds for and pushes them to make the next best thing which is best for us. Being brand loyal with a tech company seems pretty silly, I'm bored with the iPhones look both the hardware and software and want to switch but I simply can't buy music from an Android phone here in Canada as simple as iTunes, I loved everything about the HTC One besides that they offer no iTunes comparable, at least in Canada.

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
post #235 of 235 Old 02-12-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

Apple may have its cult but so does Android, I have no interest in being in either cult and I don't care what company is at top as long as it making solid products that work better and are better than what I'm currently using. I like companies battling cause they spend billions on new tech that I pay hundreds for and pushes them to make the next best thing which is best for us. Being brand loyal with a tech company seems pretty silly, I'm bored with the iPhones look both the hardware and software and want to switch but I simply can't buy music from an Android phone here in Canada as simple as iTunes, I loved everything about the HTC One besides that they offer no iTunes comparable, at least in Canada.

We're talking about cell phones in a plasma forum... I have a HTC One and it's clearly the best phone I ever had, and that's coming from an iPhone. Comparing the two the iPhone is like a kid's phone. As for iTunes, it's pretty bad, who needs it when you can get all your music for free? XBMC kills iTunes for music playback, no contest.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page