Are Plasma TVs going to be phased out completely? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 235 Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This is not the best time for me to be making purchases, even though with Panasonic leaving Plasma scene, it really is a good time to get one of their plasma sets.

So, does it mean that very soon you won't be able to purchase their TVs anywhere, but from eBay and similar? What about other brands? I know Samsung plasma TVs are not that great when it comes to deep blacks, so what other brands do have incredible PQ that will still be available to purchase 6-12 months from now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 235 Old 12-03-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Pansonic has not announced an end production date but it will be very soon most think. After that Panny plasmas will become increasingly hard to find.

It will basically be a two horse race, LG and Samsung. I would give Samsung a sizeable lead in that race tho and the Samsung blacks although not as deep as the Panasonic models are still very good when compared to LED models. I wouldn't count on anyone producing plasmas after 2014,
kkirsche likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 235 Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Panasonic has not announced an end production date but it will be very soon most think. After that Panny plasmas will become increasingly hard to find.

It will basically be a two horse race, LG and Samsung. I would give Samsung a sizeable lead in that race tho and the Samsung blacks although not as deep as the Panasonic models are still very good when compared to LED models. I wouldn't count on anyone producing plasmas after 2014,

I totally agree except the part of production. AVJ said there are no more being made so what's out there is it.
shenaniganz08 and kkirsche like this.
post #4 of 235 Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

This is not the best time for me to be making purchases, even though with Panasonic leaving Plasma scene, it really is a good time to get one of their plasma sets.

So, does it mean that very soon you won't be able to purchase their TVs anywhere, but from eBay and similar? What about other brands? I know Samsung plasma TVs are not that great when it comes to deep blacks, so what other brands do have incredible PQ that will still be available to purchase 6-12 months from now?

They're not? I bought and returned a 60" Panny ZT for a 60" Samsung 8500. This replaced the 50" Pioneer Elite I have had for the last 5 years.

I am MORE than impressed with the 8500.
Ken
post #5 of 235 Old 12-03-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

I totally agree except the part of production. AVJ said there are no more being made so what's out there is it.

Okay havent been over there for a while, thanks for the clarification smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #6 of 235 Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 558
yes, but who knows when...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #7 of 235 Old 12-03-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay havent been over there for a while, thanks for the clarification smile.gif

No problem. I read that and got a little emotional...*sniff... even though I knew it anyway.
post #8 of 235 Old 12-03-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah it's a sad time

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #9 of 235 Old 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

No problem. I read that and got a little emotional...*sniff... even though I knew it anyway.

Quote:

Yeah it's a sad time

It is indeed.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #10 of 235 Old 12-04-2013, 12:51 PM

Liked: 20

The OLEDs are coming! The OLEDs are coming!

OLED has all the advantages of LED LCD (brightness) and plasma (color, black level, contrast, motion, uniformity, viewing angle, etc., etc.) combined. Panasonic was losing their shirt on plasma with the masses attracted to bright LEDs in bright big box stores like moths to a flame. Sad but wise to cut losses and focus on the next big thing. 

But I can't imagine a better way to bide time waiting for OLED technology to mature than snatching an ST60 on clearance!

post #11 of 235 Old 12-04-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19342 View Post

OLED has all the advantages of LED LCD (brightness) and plasma (color, black level, contrast, motion, uniformity, viewing angle, etc., etc.) combined. Panasonic was losing their shirt on plasma with the masses attracted to bright LEDs in bright big box stores like moths to a flame. Sad but wise to cut losses and focus on the next big thing. 

But I can't imagine a better way to bide time waiting for OLED technology to mature than snatching an ST60 on clearance!

I looks like they also have some of the disadvantages. I'm talking about IR/Burn in and motion resolution. With those two in mind buying a plasma now isn't a bad idea until they work out the bugs.
Djoel, gus738 and kkirsche like this.
post #12 of 235 Old 12-04-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
If/when OLEDs become mainstream what will be the best format (P-OLED, SM-OLED / WOLED versus "Real" OLED TV) or will the competing types be too close to matter?

Anyone care to speculate when we'll see 65" (+/-/=) "flat-screen" OLEDs priced under $5000?
post #13 of 235 Old 12-04-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:

but they have their own list of disadvantages too. it's like when plasma replaced CRT, it was supposed to be all good, but then the stuff we took for granted(like input lag) and never even thought to ask about, became a spec many ppl wanted to know about..

i've heard grumblings of input lag and image retention being worse than current plasmas. and the possibility of shifting colors(meaning more frequent calibrations will be necessary) honestly, if you want the 'best of both worlds', talking lcd and plasma, i'd suggest the f8500. oled is going to be it's own thing, hopefully better than both plasma and lcd(not as good) in many aspects, because it'll likely have some flaws we don't even know to look for yet.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #14 of 235 Old 12-04-2013, 09:34 PM

Agreed...that's why I say getting a Panny ST60 on clearance now is a great way to wait for OLED technology to mature, ie. work out the kinks.

The F8500 is certainly an awesome TV, but not everyone can justify $3k for a 64" TV...especially with TC-P65ST60's now around $2k (or even less if you get lucky) and 4K OLEDs around the corner.

Regardless of 4k's practical merits (or lack thereof), I think most of us could agree LCD didn't whip plasma on tech specs, but rather how LED LCD's look in the typical big box showroom. Likewise OLED & 4k both show well under bright lights & up close. Add that to the future potential of extremely low manufacturing costs and OLED becomes an obvious slam dunk. Thus to answer the original question, plasma will surely go the way of CRTs.
post #15 of 235 Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I'm not sure if OLED will ever become mainstream. With almost half of OLED screens failing QC, profit margins have to be almost zero. I sense 4K LED will win out and OLED will become like plasma, becoming extinct. OLED is vastly superior to 4k LED. However, the general consumer won't care. 4K LED will be cheap compared to OLED, and that is what the clueless masses will buy. frown.gif

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #16 of 235 Old 12-04-2013, 10:06 PM

Liked: 13
Panasonic decision to stop plasma research and production was due to their engineers determining that an UHD (4k) plasma would cost too much to produce and would also run too hot. With the technology issues known, they decided to put their depleted funds, but strong engineering resources, to work on OLED technology that had a brighter future instead of plasma that projected (excuse the pun) a dimmer picture.

To increase their chances of success, Panasonic decided to enter into a joint venture with Sony to create their future generations of OLED consumer HD and UHD tvs. Pairing the strength of Panasonic (engineering resources) with a financially healthy company like Sony that compensated for its main weakness (financial resources), seems like a good plan but we'll have to wait a few years to judge its success. If it works out, we may be buying Panasony or a Sonysonic OLED UHDTVs to replace our plasmas.

Should be exciting times in the near future,
Tim
MilkManX, Donat76 and kkirsche like this.
post #17 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 08:33 AM

Well put Tim. Don't worry about OLED wxman because the ace up its sleeve is the potential for OLEDs to be literally printed. Google "ink-jet printing" and "OLED"...when this technique is mastered and production costs plummet, you can bet OLED will take over regardless of how clueless the average consumer is.

Remember when all the Best Buy saleskids started telling everyone about how the "plasma gas leaks..." LOL. Likewise once the profit margins for OLED exceed LCD, you can bet that LCDs will suddenly develop some sort of horrible malady to scare away the masses.

However in their defense, you have to admit when you approach the TV wall of a big box store, those LEDs really do pop out. It's no wonder average Joe who doesn't know (or care) about black levels and color accuracy turned his nose away from the TV that struggled to fight the bright fluorescent overhead ambient lighting and went straight to the LED light cannon next to it. Plasma sure is going out slugging, but it was never a fair fight.

That's what makes OLED so exciting. No doubt many will be confused by the acronym, but OLED is much closer to plasma in principle. Both are emissive displays with each and every pixel being the light and color source. That's the primary reason plasma has such rich, warm colors and deep blacks...which we at AVS know LCD could never match due to the limitations of its transmissive design and why we're so sad to see plasma go away. Meanwhile OLED has the ability to fairly fight LCD in brightness and costs (and eventually surpass).

Thus I see OLED as the spiritual successor to our glorious plasma displays. I believe OLED will finish the fight against inferior LCD displays that have been foisted on all of us. And once this superior display technology achieves mass appeal, I think we can expect amazing things at amazing prices.

In the mean time I will rest assured my Panny TC-P65ST60 is one of the finest displays available, not to mention the bargain of this century. Keep your eyes peeled for closeouts on the VT60, ZT60, & eventually F8500's!

noble100, kkirsche and Daug like this.
post #18 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 AM

Liked: 14
You know its funny, as a supporter and owner of plasma when I was looking at the Panasonic '60 series I couldn't help but think how meh they looked in store, and this is knowing how well they can look in home. There is no doubt to me why the average consumer doesn't buy plasma, unfortunately.
noble100 and kkirsche like this.
post #19 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 01:10 PM

Liked: 12
Just bought my first plasma today. Hope I didn't come too late to the party.
kkirsche likes this.
post #20 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTOM9 View Post

Just bought my first plasma today. Hope I didn't come too late to the party.

Not to late! You can look at it as getting the best of a generation of displays. All 3 of CNET's top recommendations were for Plasma TVs with the exceptions going when you need it in a bright room, then LCD wins. Enjoy your panel and know that you got one of the best of a generation.
post #21 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

Well put Tim. Don't worry about OLED wxman because the ace up its sleeve is the potential for OLEDs to be literally printed. Google "ink-jet printing" and "OLED"...when this technique is mastered and production costs plummet, you can bet OLED will take over regardless of how clueless the average consumer is.

http://www.oled-info.com/panasonic-shows-56-4k-printed-oled-tv-prototype

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #22 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 03:06 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by noble100 View Post

Panasonic decision to stop plasma research and production was due to their engineers determining that an UHD (4k) plasma would cost too much to produce and would also run too hot. With the technology issues known, they decided to put their depleted funds, but strong engineering resources, to work on OLED technology that had a brighter future instead of plasma that projected (excuse the pun) a dimmer picture.

To increase their chances of success, Panasonic decided to enter into a joint venture with Sony to create their future generations of OLED consumer HD and UHD tvs. Pairing the strength of Panasonic (engineering resources) with a financially healthy company like Sony that compensated for its main weakness (financial resources), seems like a good plan but we'll have to wait a few years to judge its success. If it works out, we may be buying Panasony or a Sonysonic OLED UHDTVs to replace our plasmas.

Should be exciting times in the near future,
Tim

Hysterical. Last I saw (actual financial statements), both Sony and Panasonic are bleeding cash flows. Your point is well thought out, but the numbers don't support the claims. smile.gif

I think OLED still has a ways to go, just like every other technology. By the time they get to perfecting and lowering the costs, it will already have been a few years. For e.g., the yields are super-low, motion lag is as large as 200ms, etc. So you can't go wrong with buying a mid/high-end plasma now that will last you a few years. If you care about proper service and updates, like I do, I'd pick Sammy over Panny (Sammy released a firmware update just few days ago... not sure whether Panny's been keeping up, but they have abandoned the plasma ship for sure). Sammy has committed to the 2014 Evo kit, so I know their support will last longer than Panny's.

One different aspect about OLEDs is, all companies have agreed to the standard. This is unlike the LED vs. LCD vs. plasma wars from 8-10 years ago. So there will be a lot more competition, which is overall a good thing for all of us.
post #23 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 03:14 PM

Liked: 12
Thanks. Also no regrets. Been reading up for a week or so now. Based on various factors, I caught an interest in the Samsung 8500 51". Wasn't in a "must buy now" mentality, but Based on what I had been seeing, was able to get what I think was good deal on it. So I pulled the trigger.

Once it comes, I'll get it calibrated, and if my previous two units are an indicator - I expect many gratifying years with it. smile.gif
post #24 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 PM

Liked: 18
I was told that Panasonic is going to start issuing gift cards rather than fix the tv's. In fact they may already be doing it. Call them and ask. The information I got may be wrong.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #25 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post

I was told that Panasonic is going to start issuing gift cards rather than fix the tv's. In fact they may already be doing it. Call them and ask. The information I got may be wrong.

This is a good way to start false rumours. Where did you get your info from?

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #26 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
In 2008 scientists had lab prototypes of inkjet-printed solar cells that were going to provide cheap rooftop solar panels in just a few years. Well it's 5 years later and inkjet-printed solar cells are still prototypes in labs and commercial production is still years away.

So I'll believe in cheap inkjet-printed OLED TVs when I see them on the shelf.

I just bought a used 60" Kuro with the confidence that it will be several years before OLED catches up.
gus738 and airgas1998 like this.
post #27 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 04:52 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post

That has to be false information. I don't even see how you'd redeem a gift card with them. Exactly who told you this?

Panasonic historically either (A) fixes the TV, (B) replaces the TV with a new one, or (C) issues the owner a check for the agreed upon amount.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #28 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

I just bought a used 60" Kuro with the confidence that it will be several years before OLED catches up.

Good move, My 60" Kuro still looks like the day I got it and the calibration is still right on!
When people come over I still get, What kind of TV is that, it's gorgeous!
kkirsche likes this.

-Tom
post #29 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 08:14 PM

Liked: 18
A sales guy at BB told me. Then he suggested a samsung.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #30 of 235 Old 12-05-2013, 08:20 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

This is a good way to start false rumours. Where did you get your info from?

No, he's almost right. Panasonic sent me a DOA 65VT60 to replace my 65VT50. They're not going to replace the DOA VT60. When it get's picked up they are going to cut me a check for the amount I paid for my VT50. I just ordered a 65VT60 through ABT for a replacement. So yeah, really, if you want a plasma it's now or never.
gus738 likes this.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page