Help! New Panasonic 50st60 picture has visible picture noise and is too dark - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-12-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchase the panasonic 50st60 and its a great tv. I just for rid of my 14 year old panasonic pwdy7 tv i think it was. My old panasonics tv picture looks way better than the 50st60 right now! I know it shouldn't so I want to know if anyone has good calibration settings to get my the best picture on the tv. The picture right now is too blurry and too dark. Some stuff looks old on it and some dent! Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgees View Post

I just purchase the panasonic 50st60 and its a great tv. I just for rid of my 14 year old panasonic pwdy7 tv i think it was. My old panasonics tv picture looks way better than the 50st60 right now! I know it shouldn't so I want to know if anyone has good calibration settings to get my the best picture on the tv. The picture right now is too blurry and too dark. Some stuff looks old on it and some dent! Please help!!

Hello, I have the ST60. First, switch to Cinema mode and change your gamma setting to 2.6. Set panel brightness to mid. Turn off all your enhancements for noise reduction , agc, black extension etc. Get AVS HD 709 calibration disk and set up your basic picture settings. Contrast, Brightness, Color/Tint, and Sharpness using the provided patterns on the disk. This will get you closer to a better picture. Some people are trying D'nices ST60 settings but it's basically a crap shoot whether they will improve the picture or make it worse then factory defaults. I tried them and they made everything , including the blacks too red. I do have a calibration meter so I can verify that his settings on my set are actually worse then factory defaults.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-13-2013, 01:53 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungro View Post

Hello, I have the ST60. First, switch to Cinema mode and change your gamma setting to 2.6. Set panel brightness to mid. Turn off all your enhancements for noise reduction , agc, black extension etc. Get AVS HD 709 calibration disk and set up your basic picture settings. Contrast, Brightness, Color/Tint, and Sharpness using the provided patterns on the disk. This will get you closer to a better picture. Some people are trying D'nices ST60 settings but it's basically a crap shoot whether they will improve the picture or make it worse then factory defaults. I tried them and they made everything , including the blacks too red. I do have a calibration meter so I can verify that his settings on my set are actually worse then factory defaults.

I have an ST60 too and read elsewhere that the gamma setting should be 2.4. What's the difference? I have no clue what the gamma setting does.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-13-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Using the search tool on AVS can be very helpful. A great way to learn more about your display and calibration in general is to spend some time over on the calibration thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1505120/gamma-bt-1886-explained-lightspace-users-check-in-here-need-your-help
post #5 of 7 Old 12-13-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 318
And whatever you do, make sure the CATS settings are off. wink.gif

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 7 Old 12-14-2013, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungro View Post

AVS HD 709 calibration disk?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-14-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgees View Post

AVS HD 709 calibration disk?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration/0_100

Ian wink.gif