How to optimize brightness on VT60 if too late to do slides? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-13-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got new VT60 65" Tues nite, 12-10-13. Set is on about 12 hours/day. Replaces Panny TH-50PX60U circa '07-'08, which seemed much brighter and crisper.

I love the natural color & facial image quality of VT60, but it seems so dim.

Ambient Light:
The room has indirect light during day (Nowhere near as bright as the room pictured a ways down on the ‘VT60 good in semi-bright rooms?’ thread.) TV is 12’ away from my recliner, diagonal across room in a corner. Behind and to left of it are 12’ of glass sliders facing SW, which I look out of to left of TV, BUT, they face a large patio covered with shade cloth, so no direct afternoon sun enters room. Behind me by a good 10’ is 15’x4’ window facing N w/cellular shades half down most of the time. No sun comes in from it. Small skylite above my head. No glare on screen at all.

Example: Watching football highlights on ESPN, with half the field in sun, half in shade (not exactly a fair test, I know) the shade part of the field has poor visibility. Other sports highlights all look like games being played outside during the day are occurring at dusk without stadium lights. In basketball games, crowd is almost all dark. Whites seem grey. Watching cable news channels, while people look very good, I can't appreciate them because of dimness.

On the old Panny, I could almost see people’s blackheads (not that I want to…;~), but now, standing close to the screen, faces are softer than sharp.

I'm set to THX Bright Room, and noodled with those three settings (brightness, contrast & sharpness), but returned them to normal, concerned I should leave settings be during break-in period. I have a link to Plasma TV website's calibrations, but was advised to wait to calibrate till after first 200-500 hours. Now I read here it’s too late, that if you don’t use slides out of the box for the first 100 hours, calibration is pointless.

I’m hoping none of this means there’s something wrong with my particular set, but that it’s just an adjustment issue, or one relating to the evolution of Plasma displays since I got my last one in ’07 or so—an issue of ‘it is what it is’. I could not bear to go through the logistical hassles/expenses of trying out the Samsung. I had to hire labor to just put this baby on its stand after delivery! Boxing it up for return would be a massive ordeal.

Does a set of calibrations exist which are optimized for brightness and might work even if I haven’t done the slides? If so, what is the link?

How long should I wait to try them out?

How useful is C.A.T.S. ?

Thank you.
Karen,

(Video Trogodyte)

Karen
Marin County, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-14-2013, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi there. I'm a newbie plasma owner here too. I moved to the 60VT60 from a 46inch Sony LCD that's about 5 years old.

I too initially felt that my VT60 was on the dim side, but I now have almost 500 hours on the set and to me it now looks 'right'. I am currently using the 'bright room' settings provided by DNice on all inputs and am very satisfied. There are some times where I do feel it's a bit dim is when the Auto Brightness Limiter kicks in. Hockey games could use a little more brightness to them, but I've also noticed that different arenas have better/worse lighting/cameras than others and that seems to affect it a bit. I invited my brother over to watch a Hockey game recently and he literally gasped when he saw it because you can now see the textures and skate lines carved into the ice instead of a plain white sheet.

I ran slides on and off for the first couple of days, peppered with some Netflix viewing. Don't sweat having or haven't run slides. My take on slides:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/949107/master-burn-in-ir-break-in-thread-part-ii-all-posts-here-only/4740#post_23867110

You can find slides and a download to a set of values posted by DNice for the VT60 here: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939

I find that the DNice settings aren't too far off from what I get from THX Bright Room.

I've also read that over time the panels do gain a bit of brightness to them and to me this does seem to hold true. Not alot, but I feel my panel has gotten a bit brighter. I have no empirical data to back that up though. Anyone out there take any readings off of a brand new panel to compare with an 'aged' panel???

I'm tossing around the idea of getting a full on proper calibration. Most people can walk into a store and find a suit off the rack that fits them well enough. Getting a proper calibration done will be like taking that suit in to get tailored for that extra bit of 'spiffiness'.

C.A.T.S. should be disabled.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-14-2013, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Slides have absolutely nothing to do with calibrations. Running slides is just a safe way to put hours on a panel without having to worry about static logos or black bars. 500 hours on a TV is still 500 hours on a TV no matter how you got there.

There is a preset for THX Bright Room which I think is pretty bright although I probably would not recommend running it to long as it uses a contrast of 100 and football games have a good chance of stubborn IR due to the static images like the scoreboard and such. It is a good starting point though. Maybe try it out and drop the contrast down a little. Then watch a little bit and see how it does with IR.

I do not find that the VT60 is dim at all though. When I had my LED I always tried to make it more like a plasma. I felt when the picture was overly bright it just never looked that good. I only pumped up the brightness on it if it was in the daytime and was sunny outside. Otherwise I always kept it turned down.

And turn C.A.T.S off.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-14-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, absurd and Eric, for responding.

Actually, absurd, this VT60 replaces a 50” Panny plasma. I had from ’08 which was very crisp and bright. That’s why I’m so puzzled by the difference. Anyhow, I tried the DNice link to explore, but for some reason it wouldn’t open—just hung endlessly ‘in process’. Any ideas why?

I get your drift. I used a set of modifications to THX Cinema offered by an Amazon reviewer last night, and that improved things over the THX Bright room settings. They are counterintuitive to me, but seem to work better.

Thanks for that handy tip on locating how many hours your set has played so far (at the link you sent)! I’m at a measly 24 hours.

I could use a guide on all the Menu items, as well as on using the Smart TV features (I’m new toy streaming—can’t figure how to enter a url on the ‘Panasonic browser’, for example). I’d love a guide I could print and read as I noodle with the set. The manual with the TV is totally basic. If you know of such a thing, do tell.

Eric, thanks for your reassurance about slides. I’m just doing more channel surfing than I ordinarily would as my ‘slide phase’. After hours of reading on this subject I do find that dimness is indeed in the eye of the beholder, though I am certain this display is dimmer than my previous one.

Any helpful links to VT60 ‘guides’ of any sort will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Karen

Karen
Marin County, CA
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page