Panasonic VT/ZT IR advice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Does anyone have any recommendations for dealing with IR on the new Panasonics? I have noticed that with both the first ZT I had and now the VT I switched to, they are extremely susceptible to IR in the way neither my F4500 or F8500 Samsungs ever were. In every OTHER way the Panasonics seem to blow the Samsung out of the water, but this is a major weakness. My TV stays on a lot of the time and much of my watching actually isn't movies but rather networks like HGTV, History and Velocity. Both HGTV and History have absurd logos they run constantly and after only a couple of days and a few hours a day on HGTV I can already make out the faint image of the HGTV logo hours and hours later. This never occurred with the Samsungs. I also remember CNET had an "accidental" IR test happen one night when a test disc they were using reverted to its main menu and all the TVs in their test bed were stuck on it for over 8 hours. The Samsung recovered but I guess whatever Panasonics they had in there did not.

What's worse, I watch podcasts from the TWiT network almost daily, and those can be 1 to a few hours long. The lower thirds have a lot of bright text and static images that get rotated in and out, but not that much. So it seems for my type of viewing habits, this is just going to be an issue I'm going to have to get creative with if I want to keep using a Panasonic TV.

What I'm thinking is that I may have to run the screen wipe function on some kind of regular basis, maybe once a week. But I have no idea how long it needs to run to be effective. Any suggestions on this are welcome. Otherwise I am probably just going to exchange again and move down to a plain jane S60 that is in a more disposable price range that I won't really care too much about IR with. I care about image quality enough that I don't want an LCD, and I care about shadow detail enough that I prefer Panasonics even with my light movie watching. But I don't want to deliberately damage such a high end TV as a VT60 by my viewing habits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whoops. Just saw the "Official" Plasma burn in thread up in the stickies area. Missed it at first. Mod may delete this thread (I tried but didn't find a delete action, which I assume is reserved for moderation).

I'm going to pick up that Disney blu-ray that is mentioned a few times in that thread. Seems to be the solution to this problem, if it remains a problem after the first 100 hours or so. In the mean time, I'm just going to stretch the image so far that the logos don't show up.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
That susceptibility will remain for the record. At over 1000 hours, it took all night and this morning to diminish a Fox Sports logo by about 95% on my ZT. You can delete your own post (though I'm not sure if that's possible with a thread). You should see a red "X" at the bottom left-hand corner of your post, which you can subsequently click to delete.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

That susceptibility will remain for the record. At over 1000 hours, it took all night and this morning to diminish a Fox Sports logo by about 95% on my ZT. You can delete your own post (though I'm not sure if that's possible with a thread). You should see a red "X" at the bottom left-hand corner of your post, which you can subsequently click to delete.

Yep, i remember you showed me that for the posts (I would have found it on my own but these days it's really rare for forums to allow you to delete your own posts, so that's kind of nice) but no, the entire thread can't be on your own. As far as I can tell.

And that's a shame about the susceptibility to IR. I'll just have to be careful with what I watch or if I see that it's going to be a serious problem I'm just going to get an S60 while they're still around and call it a day. There's an open box one for 480 at a local BB. At that price I don't really care how much it's even been used.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 12:20 PM

Oh, I already told you about that feature? How embarrassing. smile.gif I haven't created a new thread in years, so I was not clear on thread deletion capabilities. Oh well, there isn't a thread specifically about the 2013 Panasonic models and their susceptibility to IR. If the mods feel it's redundant, they can delete/move it as they see fit.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Oh, I already told you about that feature? How embarrassing. smile.gif I haven't created a new thread in years, so I was not clear on thread deletion capabilities. Oh well, there isn't a thread specifically about the 2013 Panasonic models and their susceptibility to IR. If the mods feel it's redundant, they can delete/move it as they see fit.

Lol, nothing to be embarrassed about. What a contrast to so many online communities you visit and get yelled at because you did something wrong. Someone who wants to HELP? What a concept. Thank you for being nice about it, as I've come and gone from here many times over the years as my home theater interests and products have evolved and come and gone, and I'm not familiar with all the changes.

The IR thing on the Pannys is a little disappointing. It reminds me a little of the Infiniti Q45 that debuted in 2002 and the VK45DE engine that produced an amazing amount of power (345 i think) for that time in a luxury sedan. Really amazing performance. Well, it turns out that Nissan kinda cut corners in some places to achieve that output and some of the motors up through the 1st gen M45 and trucks with the 5.6 were hampered with terrible oil consumption issues that may have been a result of some of this effort to make the engine a monster from the outset. That's how I understand it, anyhow, from some friends I have that are deeply involved in all things Nissan.

Anyway, my point is that it's a shame to have such a tremendously performing panel, maybe the best ever produced, and have to use care in what you watch to protect it. I don't think Panasonic cut corners to achieve that image quality, but I do wonder what Samsung does different that gives them such good resistance to *reasonable* viewing levels of IR. Obviously, if you let a static image sit on ANY plasma long enough, you're going to ruin it. This is one area where the LCD guys get to point and laugh all they want.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 08:16 PM

Too right, the differences may very well come down to the driving methods used, which loosely connects with your cool analogy. wink.gif I actually didn't realize Infiniti was Nissan's luxury/sports line (like Toyota's Lexus and Honda's Acura). Thanks for that tidbit, lol.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Playdrive4me

I know what you're saying about IR.

I'd go one step further and say that if it only takes a few seconds for something blue to leave IR, then what is the overall effect on picture quality during a moving picture? It would seem to me that you'd constantly be having an image containing some IR from previous images.

Big problem is that I doubt you can find a current year display that you'll like better unless you need to go brighter.

In that case, CES is a few weeks off. You mind as well wait to see what comes out then.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn43f4500 43 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page