Torn between Panisonic S60 and ST60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I recently had to return an open box S60 I was having issues with to Best Buy. However, they did not have another S60 or even an ST60 in stock to replace the S60.

To compensate for my time, they offered to sell me another S60 at the same price I purchased the open box for ($649) or an ST60 for $800.

Most people would probably say, take the ST60 and run, however considering that I am a casual gamer, I am not sure how bad the high input lag on the ST60 would be an issue. I do not consider myself a hardcore gamer, but I do enjoy playing online FPS such as Call of Duty and Borderlands. On the flip side, I also appreciate good image quality in games and movies. With this being said, in your opinions, do you think the input lag on a ST60 would be a deal breaker for someone like myself? Are there any other casual gamers who own an ST60 and what are your opinions on it?

I watched a video comparing the input lag of the ST60 to another Panasonic plasma and honestly I cannot tell the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJSAWczrwUI

Also, I am going to be hooking up my gaming PC to the TV and I was wondering if their are any differences in video lag compared to a console such as the PS3.

I know the subject of this post is centered around the input lag on the ST60, but this is the only thing holding me back from purchasing this TV.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoren1990 View Post

Because of some issues i was having with an open box S60 i recentley purchased from best buy i had to return it. However they do not have either the S60 or the ST60 in stock so they are working with me to compensate for the weekend i wasted back and forth on the phone with customer service,etc.

The are willing to give me a new S60 for the same price as the open box i returned which was $649 or a new ST60 for $800

I would imagine most people would say "Take the ST60 and run" however i do enjoy gaming and i read multiple things about the ST60 and High Input lag. Now I do not consider myself a "Hardcore" gamer to the point where if im not at the top of the charts i start breaking controllers. But i do enjoy playing FPS type games such as CoD,Borderlands, ETC. On the flip side though when playing games or watching movies i do like to appreciate the image quality.

So what do you guys think is the input lag on the ST60 a  deal breaker especially for a gamer like myself?  Is there anybody out there who would consider themselves a casual gamer who owns an ST60 that can give me their opinion? 

I watched this video below and honestly i cannot see a difference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJSAWczrwUI 

Also i will have my Gaming PC hooked up to the TV using "Steam Big Picture" is there a difference with PC compared to PS3 in terms of lag.

I know majority of this post is centered around the subject of "input lag on the ST60" but that is the only thing holding me back from purchasing this set.

I would stick with the S60 since the lag difference could be significant with some games, including twitch shooters like COD. I fall between hardcore and casual gamer and play many shooters plus some racing, platforming, and action/adventure/stealth games (mostly single player stuff so online lag is not a factor). I have the 50" S60 and it feels incredibly responsive with every game I've tried so far. There are some on the S60 thread who claim the S60 has significant lag vs. ultra-low lag displays (10-15 ms or so), but that is really the minority and I don't take those reports seriously since they don't line up with my personal experiences with various HDTVs.

Now, whether you will be bothered by the 75 ms of lag or not as a casual gamer, I'm not 100% sure. However, if you have doubts and originally wanted a S60, I'd say stick with that choice. The PQ improvement you get from the ST60 over the S60 is likely to be pretty minor in most respects, mainly the differences are an AR filter and a somewhat brighter panel that can do 3D.

Tags
Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st60 by PriceGrabber.com