Costco/Squaretrade Extended TV Warranty -- now Costco purchases only? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 75 Old 03-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Gabatta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLI View Post

Just noticed that Costco has lowered the 3yr ST warranty for TV's over $1000 to $89.99 from $99.99 online. Is it still worth it?

It was worth it at $99, and it's an even better deal at $89.
Gabatta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 75 Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,561
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 2032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabatta View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLI View Post

Just noticed that Costco has lowered the 3yr ST warranty for TV's over $1000 to $89.99 from $99.99 online. Is it still worth it?

It was worth it at $99, and it's an even better deal at $89.

 

Just contact square trade and make sure that it's the same coverage.

 

IMO you should contact ST anyway given how badly costco F'd it up when I purchased it.  ST fixed it all.


Thought #AOY: So as a kid I tested the causality chain of something. When my cat was angry, she put her ears back. When that happened, I decided to push them forward, and then she purred. (!) Turns out that it's not that being angry causes the cat to push its ears back, but being angry and pushing their ears back are two parts of the same exact thing. She could not be angry with her ears forward.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #63 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 5,009
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 152
can I buy this warranty and use it fora projector??? since $100 for a $3k projector would be perfect biggrin.gif
wormraper is offline  
post #64 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 3,241
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

can I buy this warranty and use it fora projector??? since $100 for a $3k projector would be perfect biggrin.gif

They do not offer coverage for projector's based on my discussion with a rep. Nice try, but warranty companies aren't stupid, if they don't make money they won't be in business. A new bulb depending on the projector could put them upside down quickly.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku/Fire Sticks
smurraybhm is offline  
post #65 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 5,009
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

They do not offer coverage for projector's based on my discussion with a rep. Nice try, but warranty companies aren't stupid, if they aren't making money they aren't in business. A new bulb depending on the projector could put them upside down quickly.

who? squaretrade? they most certainly do have one for a projector... they sell them on amazon all the time. I called in for a quote this morning... a 4 year for a $2500-$3000 projector is $268... they just stipulate that they don't cover bulbs...they did the same for rear projection tvs

I was just wondering if they counted it as a "tv" since I never asked... since costco's price would have been killer compared to $268
wormraper is offline  
post #66 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 3,241
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
^
Call and ask for yourself instead of telling me what Amazon sells for a warranty for projectors sold via their website, just repeating what I was told, maybe you will get a different answer. Costco is selling coverage for a television only.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku/Fire Sticks
smurraybhm is offline  
post #67 of 75 Old 04-14-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 5,009
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

^
Call and ask for yourself instead of telling me what Amazon sells for a warranty for projectors sold via their website, just repeating what I was told, maybe you will get a different answer. Costco is selling coverage for a television only.

ummm, I DID call squaretrade about them carrying a warranty for projectors, you said that what you knew they wouldn't carry them, and elaborated how the cost of bulbs would kill... I was explaining that yes they do, they've had the same policy back when Projection Tv's were in style as well, coverage was for the unit itself, bulbs were disposable items and not covered..... I just asked if anyone else had experience with the costco version... being that lots of people buy them, I was just asking if anyone had any idea.
wormraper is offline  
post #68 of 75 Old 05-06-2014, 06:40 AM
Newbie
 
Qu4ttro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys... pretty new here but have been educating myself through this forum before purchasing my home theater system.

Question: Can I have two overlapping extended warranties? and if lets say my LCD TV breaks and is unreplaceable, can I get a refund/payout from both warranty companies?

I have this odd warranty from walmart called "NEW by Asurion" and would like to purchase the SquareTrade on top of that. Thanks in advance guys.
Qu4ttro is offline  
post #69 of 75 Old 06-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Senior Member
 
CCSchoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I wanted to re-open this thread as it's not been discussed in a while. I just bought a Samsung TV from HH Greg and paid over $500 for the 5 year extended warranty. I then seen this thread and have been researching the $89 Costco / Square Trade deal. It sounds like from reading the ad on Costco that the TV will be covered by Samsung year 1, Costco year 2, and Square Trade year 3-5. BUT, after reading this thread, it sounds like that's only true if TV was purchased AT Costco. Since I purchased at HH Greg, the ST 3 year policy kicks in year 2, and I'll lose the 5th year.

Is this accurate OR has this plan changed in the last year (since the last postings in this thread) and Costco covers year 2 and ST does go to year 3-5.

It seems like a no brainer to save the $450 on the policies. Just wanted to check on the above scenario and other peoples opinions on getting ST warranty VS the high priced warranty at HH Greg.



Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited by CCSchoch; 06-18-2015 at 11:54 AM.
CCSchoch is offline  
post #70 of 75 Old 09-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Member
 
peka j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSchoch View Post
I wanted to re-open this thread as it's not been discussed in a while. I just bought a Samsung TV from HH Greg and paid over $500 for the 5 year extended warranty. I then seen this thread and have been researching the $89 Costco / Square Trade deal. It sounds like from reading the ad on Costco that the TV will be covered by Samsung year 1, Costco year 2, and Square Trade year 3-5. BUT, after reading this thread, it sounds like that's only true if TV was purchased AT Costco. Since I purchased at HH Greg, the ST 3 year policy kicks in year 2, and I'll lose the 5th year.

Is this accurate OR has this plan changed in the last year (since the last postings in this thread) and Costco covers year 2 and ST does go to year 3-5.

It seems like a no brainer to save the $450 on the policies. Just wanted to check on the above scenario and other peoples opinions on getting ST warranty VS the high priced warranty at HH Greg.



Thanks for any help!!!
What did you decide to do? I think you have it correct that a TV bought somewhere other than Costco but extended warranty bought through Costco, manufacturer warranty for Year 1, then Squaretrade for Years 2-4. No fifth year, so you would have had to decide if the 5th year was worth $411.

I just bought a Costco warranty for a Vizio TV I bought through Dell.com, and paid $29.99 plus $1.50 non-member surcharge, plus tax. Still was significantly cheaper than comparable 4 year warranty direct from Squaretrade even with a 40% off coupon, which seem impossible to find these days anyway.
peka j. is offline  
post #71 of 75 Old 09-03-2015, 05:48 AM
Senior Member
 
CCSchoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by peka j. View Post
What did you decide to do? I think you have it correct that a TV bought somewhere other than Costco but extended warranty bought through Costco, manufacturer warranty for Year 1, then Squaretrade for Years 2-4. No fifth year, so you would have had to decide if the 5th year was worth $411.

I just bought a Costco warranty for a Vizio TV I bought through Dell.com, and paid $29.99 plus $1.50 non-member surcharge, plus tax. Still was significantly cheaper than comparable 4 year warranty direct from Squaretrade even with a 40% off coupon, which seem impossible to find these days anyway.
I returned my HH Gregg warranty and went w/ Costco. $400 difference was worth the gamble....and if I end up getting screwed 4 years down the road, 4 years from now the new 4K TV's at that time will be significantly cheaper than now, also that will be $400 towards a new TV that I didn't spend now.

Last edited by CCSchoch; 09-03-2015 at 07:09 AM.
CCSchoch is offline  
post #72 of 75 Old 09-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Member
 
peka j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 73
That's a good point, plus at any given level, the TVs get cheaper over time so the $400 saved can buy an even higher percentage of a TV in 2019 than in 2015. Thanks for the reply.
peka j. is offline  
post #73 of 75 Old 01-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Cyber Chulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Wow! This totally worked. I purchased the warranty without being a member and they charged me a $4.50 non member fee. The 5 years will only cover 4 years because Costco doesn't cover the second year. But I was able to cover my Sony XBR-75x940c for $102 instead of PC Richard's $300 or $400 price plans.
tgm1024 likes this.

PSN ID Cyber125
Cyber Chulo is offline  
post #74 of 75 Old 04-10-2016, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
anonymouse99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A sales guy once said to us ... If something goes wrong with the TV, it will likely happen closer to purchase in Year #1 (manufacturing defect) pr possibly way down the road beyond year #5 (ageing).

Our TV died after 10 years, well beyond our initial (expensive) extended warranty. At this stage, I would not even be able to find proper replacement parts for it.

For $89 Costco/SquareTrade 4-year warranty seems sufficient for a non-Costco TV! I also believe they have in-home service when the size is greater than like around 40 or so inches.
anonymouse99 is offline  
post #75 of 75 Old 04-10-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,561
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 2032
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse99 View Post
A sales guy once said
Lost interest right there....


Thought #AOY: So as a kid I tested the causality chain of something. When my cat was angry, she put her ears back. When that happened, I decided to push them forward, and then she purred. (!) Turns out that it's not that being angry causes the cat to push its ears back, but being angry and pushing their ears back are two parts of the same exact thing. She could not be angry with her ears forward.
tgm1024 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off