Costco/Squaretrade Extended TV Warranty -- now Costco purchases only? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
While researching the purchase of my Panny 60VT60, I strongly considered purchasing the $99 Costco/Squaretrade warranty, as it stated that you only need to purchase from an "authorized retailer". Now that language has been removed, and you must purchase the set from Costco to qualify. Does anyone know when (within the last 2 weeks) this change was made?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
At the bottom of this page it still says authorized us retailer...

http://www.costco.com/squaretrade-tv.html

"Plan must be bought within 60 days of TV purchase. Costco Members may buy plans for new
TVs purchased from a Costco warehouse, Costco.com or any authorized U.S. retailer."
post #3 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonsack View Post

While researching the purchase of my Panny 60VT60, I strongly considered purchasing the $99 Costco/Squaretrade warranty, as it stated that you only need to purchase from an "authorized retailer". Now that language has been removed, and you must purchase the set from Costco to qualify. Does anyone know when (within the last 2 weeks) this change was made?

The source of your info?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #4 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 02:23 PM

I just did this, and was concerned as the online signup only lets you put in Costco as place of purchase (got mine on Amazon). I called them, and they confirmed this is OK. I bought the warranty on the 9th, completed signup Monday.

HTH
post #5 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

The source of your info?

Possibly?:

http://www.costco.com/.product.11660857.html
Quote:
This service plan is exclusive to Costco Members. You must purchase the new television from a Costco Warehouse or from www.costco.com.

Service plan must be purchased within 30 days of purchasing the television in-store. If the tablet or camera is purchased online at Costco.com, then the service plan must be purchased within 30 days from receipt of television.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #6 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

That's not true. The language has NOT been removed 'cause I read it one minute ago on their website. You can purchase from Amazon, BB, etc. and still purchase the Costco/SQ warranty.

Addendum: The link above is for TV's from 500 to 1000 dollars. TV's over that is still the same as I stated above.
post #7 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

That's not true. The language has NOT been removed 'cause I read it one minute ago on their website. You can purchase from Amazon, BB, etc. and still purchase the Costco/SQ warranty.

Addendum: The link above is for TV's from 500 to 1000 dollars. TV's over that is still the same as I stated above.

Addendum x2: One link says 'must be purchased at Costco. Another says 'any authorized US retailer'. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
post #8 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 04:03 PM

Liked: 16

This just made me buy the warranty before they change the language everywhere, at least this way I bought it while it still said authorized retailer plus it allowed me to purchase it so I have a better chance of getting it. I bought my TV from amazon.com

post #9 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Can you point me to the link that says "any authorized retailer"? I'll need to call them ASAP it sounds like...

Thanks!
post #10 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Can you point me to the link that says "any authorized retailer"? I'll need to call them ASAP it sounds like...

Thanks!

At the bottom of the page before you click on the price level of the tv
post #11 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boca rat View Post

I just did this, and was concerned as the online signup only lets you put in Costco as place of purchase (got mine on Amazon). I called them, and they confirmed this is OK. I bought the warranty on the 9th, completed signup Monday.

HTH

Who, specifically, did you call?
post #12 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude View Post

At the bottom of the page before you click on the price level of the tv

Sorry I'm not seeing this; can you post a link? Thanks.
post #13 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry I'm not seeing this; can you post a link? Thanks.

Ahh see it. Here:

http://www.costco.com/squaretrade-tv.html

Now I just need to call them because the online form (as stated earlier) will not allow "Amazon" to be entered for a place of purchase.
post #14 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Who, specifically, did you call?

Squaretrade
post #15 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Squaretrade

And they gave you the Costco price? How then, is Costco involved if you go directly to Squaretrade?
post #16 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 06:23 PM

No, I bought the warranty thru costco.com, registered and then called squaretrade
post #17 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 07:14 PM

Bought the warranty at 6pm today, still have not received an email from SquareTrade...

post #18 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, I bought the warranty thru costco.com, registered and then called squaretrade

I bought it too; nothing on the Costco site itself required me to fill in where I bought the set. It only referenced (as others have mentioned) an email that will be sent directly from Squaretrade (which I have not yet received either). Is it in this email/registration process where you fill in your purchase info?
post #19 of 68 Old 12-18-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:

I bought it too; nothing on the Costco site itself required me to fill in where I bought the set. It only referenced (as others have mentioned) an email that will be sent directly from Squaretrade (which I have not yet received either). Is it in this email/registration process where you fill in your purchase info?

they pre-populated my purchase info with "COSTCO" as the place of purchase for my TV even though I bought from Amazon. I bought my warranty on the 11th, and that language didnt exist at the time. I will call tomorrow and see what they say.

ETA:

I am not a lawyer, but reviewing my Squaretrade contract: it only references Costco once, in the section regarding when the warranty starts, and it has an OR statement regarding the manufacturer's warranty. In other words, the contract makes no substantial reference to Costco, and therefore I believe that this is more of a Costco policy change regarding the warranty only being used on Costco bought TVs than an actual Squaretrade change that would render the warranty invalid on non-costco purchases.
post #20 of 68 Old 12-19-2013, 07:35 AM

Not sure if something changed today but I just went to fill in my info on Squaretrades website this morning and for the "purchased at" field it has Costco or Other and when you put Other it asks you to enter the merchant's name and I put in amazon.com and the next field shows my warranty as approved

Edit: NM, I see how it says costco on the actual warranty page

post #21 of 68 Old 12-19-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Yes, you put in things like serial number etc and upload your receipt image/email from links in the Squaretrade email.
post #22 of 68 Old 12-19-2013, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just went through he whole process to see what happens. I have a BB warranty to fall back on so I'm just gonna wait a few days and call them to see if everything is on the up and up.

Now I am thinking I might just get taken by Best Buy and get a 4-5 year through them. Four years down the road I think the trouble of dealing with ST would leave me with regrets.
post #23 of 68 Old 12-19-2013, 04:06 PM

I called squaretrade and they said the purchased at field didnt matter as long as the receipt was from an authorized dealer.
post #24 of 68 Old 12-19-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg2003gt View Post

I called squaretrade and they said the purchased at field didnt matter as long as the receipt was from an authorized dealer.
Thanks all for your feedback; I went through the full Squaretrade process as well and just got email confirmation of my receipt. "Purchased At" still says Costco, but they acknowledged an Amazon receipt so I assume all is good.
post #25 of 68 Old 12-20-2013, 10:39 AM

Liked: 12
Guys, Wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I purchase my P65Vt60 from ABT. I went on the Costco website yesterday and ordered the 3 yr $99.99 warranty. I even had a Costco rep on the phone w/ me as I was filling out the online application. I asked him what to do where it said purchased at Costco or Other? He said put in Costco so I did. I finished with adding my make, model, serial number and credit card info.

Within 24 hours I was sent a link from Costco to register my product. This time I had a Square Trade rep on the line w/ me as I created an account and registered my P65VT60. Just wanted to have someone walk me though the steps to avoid any hassles. So we created an account and finalized everything. The first thing I noticed was that under summary of account the amount covered was $3,999.00. I guess I'm fine with that? Anyone else see that amount pop up on there account. Then next thing that was confusing was it said I purchased a 5yr plan for $99.99? It showed my warranty coverage starting on 12/18/2013 and ending on 12/18/2018. So that two things that didn't really add up.

I asked the rep what this was all about. I was under the impression I was purchasing a 3yr/$99 plan. He said that Costco Concierge added a year also. Maybe because I put Costco as place of purchase they added another year. I know that's the case if you buy your tv from Costco but I didn't.

So the rep told me my coverage looks like this. First year is covered by Panasonic, the second year is covered by Costco Concierge and then years 3, 4 & 5 are covered by my Square Trade Warranty. It seems a little weird but I'm done questioning it. For $99.99 I'm covered for until 12/18/2018.

Maybe things re correct when I submit my proof of payment receipt and they see it was purchased outside of Costco. Who knows.. I'll submit it and see what happens.

Anyone else seeing there actual Square Trade account look a little different from what they we're expecting. I'm still covered, it was just a pretty bizarre experience.
post #26 of 68 Old 12-20-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchef0 View Post

Guys, Wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I purchase my P65Vt60 from ABT. I went on the Costco website yesterday and ordered the 3 yr $99.99 warranty. I even had a Costco rep on the phone w/ me as I was filling out the online application. I asked him what to do where it said purchased at Costco or Other? He said put in Costco so I did. I finished with adding my make, model, serial number and credit card info.

Within 24 hours I was sent a link from Costco to register my product. This time I had a Square Trade rep on the line w/ me as I created an account and registered my P65VT60. Just wanted to have someone walk me though the steps to avoid any hassles. So we created an account and finalized everything. The first thing I noticed was that under summary of account the amount covered was $3,999.00. I guess I'm fine with that? Anyone else see that amount pop up on there account. Then next thing that was confusing was it said I purchased a 5yr plan for $99.99? It showed my warranty coverage starting on 12/18/2013 and ending on 12/18/2018. So that two things that didn't really add up.

I asked the rep what this was all about. I was under the impression I was purchasing a 3yr/$99 plan. He said that Costco Concierge added a year also. Maybe because I put Costco as place of purchase they added another year. I know that's the case if you buy your tv from Costco but I didn't.

So the rep told me my coverage looks like this. First year is covered by Panasonic, the second year is covered by Costco Concierge and then years 3, 4 & 5 are covered by my Square Trade Warranty. It seems a little weird but I'm done questioning it. For $99.99 I'm covered for until 12/18/2018.

Maybe things re correct when I submit my proof of payment receipt and they see it was purchased outside of Costco. Who knows.. I'll submit it and see what happens.

Anyone else seeing there actual Square Trade account look a little different from what they we're expecting. I'm still covered, it was just a pretty bizarre experience.

Same thing here, the system just automatically says 5 years because it assumes the item was purchased at costco. I would not bank on that 5th year...or I guess maybe you arent covered on the 2nd year? haha

post #27 of 68 Old 12-20-2013, 12:38 PM

Just talked to a square trade rep who actually had a brain in his head. He said that when you sign up through the Costco website and put in that you purchased the tv at Costco even though you didn't, they give you the same deal as they would have if you did purchase it from Costco. I'm fine with that.

So the way he broke it down was Costco Concierge covers the first two years. Year one is covered by Panny and Costco Concierge runs concurrent with it, year two is Costco Concierge, years 3, 4 & 5 are the actual 3yr/Square Trade warranty. Your covered for five years.

If for some reason it doesn't work out this way and I'm only covered for years I still have my Amex Protection warranty to cover year five. Pretty confusing stuff and I'm hoping I'll never even have to use it.
post #28 of 68 Old 12-23-2013, 08:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchef0 View Post

Just talked to a square trade rep who actually had a brain in his head. He said that when you sign up through the Costco website and put in that you purchased the tv at Costco even though you didn't, they give you the same deal as they would have if you did purchase it from Costco. I'm fine with that.

So the way he broke it down was Costco Concierge covers the first two years. Year one is covered by Panny and Costco Concierge runs concurrent with it, year two is Costco Concierge, years 3, 4 & 5 are the actual 3yr/Square Trade warranty. Your covered for five years.

So then the big question for me, is what happens if you need warranty service in year 2 when you are under the "Costco Concierge" plan. If it's actually Costco that services during this time, then I feel like they will want to confirm you purchased from them, so you may essentially not be covered in year two.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sherwood P-965
Parasound 2X205
Sherbourn 5X200
SVS-12
Polk LSi9's

post #29 of 68 Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 AM

You may have a point but I guess that's a chance I'll have to take. At this point I'm sort of done with all the warranty stuff. To the best of my knowledge I'm covered from 12/18/2013 to 12/18/2018 and if for some reason something happens to the tv in year two I'll deal with it then. If there's one company that has a reputation of standing behind something it's Costco.

I've read that a lot of other we're also instructed to put in the place of purchase as Costco and they also we're given the same plan as me. Maybe one of them has the time to call Costco, figure it al out and report back. I'm just enjoying the tv at this point and putting all the other stuff to rest.
post #30 of 68 Old 12-23-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreese View Post

So then the big question for me, is what happens if you need warranty service in year 2 when you are under the "Costco Concierge" plan. If it's actually Costco that services during this time, then I feel like they will want to confirm you purchased from them, so you may essentially not be covered in year two.
When I go to my warranty on the ST website and click on view contract it says "Coverage Starts: After Costco Concierge or manufacturer's warranty expiration, whichever is longest".

I emailed them from my account so they could see my exact details. They replied back with "As far as the coverage is concerned, 1st year will be covered by the manufacture and the rest 3 years will be taken care by Square Trade."

You are only getting it for 4 years, not 5 because you lose that 2nd year of Costco coverage.

So I have a contract, account details, and an email with a ticket number saying everything is good to go.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page