Vivid looks the best on my ZT60 compared to C-net settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 12-21-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello all, I bought a Panasonic ZT60 about a week ago. I went to the C-Net site and copied the settings under custom on the zt60 menu for HDMI input 1.

Using an HDMI connection, I find the Vivid setting looks better then the custom settings from Cnet in my opinion and others that have viewed my TV, Brighter, sharper clearer...

The only thing I would complain about Vivid is a real dark scene with a bright light in the movie (Eample: A dark tunnel with a torch) I saw some artifacts around the torch as opposed to the C-net settings that showed some but fewer with the same scene Other than real dark parts of a movie I think Vivid looks better.

Has anyone else compared the two? Everyone that has seen my TV says Vivid has the best look but I don't see anyone saying this on the forums? By the way. I am in a dimlly lit room, sometimes very dark with my Blackout curtains. Thanks in advance for any feedback. I am very excited to own this TV, it is truly amazing...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-21-2013, 11:54 AM

Liked: 15
O man, you're going to get eaten up here using vivid settings on such a great TV lol.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
muffinmcfluffin and agkss like this.
post #3 of 38 Old 12-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 2771

It's fine to like vivid mode the most, if you are not going to calibrate your TV, then it's all a matter of taste. CNETs setting work for the TV that they tested, but the fact is that each TV is different enough from the next one—plus other variables—that it makes those settings functionally irrelevant. You've got a great TV, you should at least consider calibrating it as an option.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #4 of 38 Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Watch out for ir in that mode especially when the set is new

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5 of 38 Old 12-21-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Vivid mode on a ZT60?! eek.gif That's criminal.
agkss likes this.

post #6 of 38 Old 12-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Oh yeah! To each his own, but that just hurts!!
post #7 of 38 Old 12-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh79 View Post

Hello all, I bought a Panasonic ZT60 about a week ago. I went to the C-net site and copied the settings under custom on the zt60 menu for HDMI input 1.

Using an HDMI connection, I find the Vivid setting looks better then the custom settings from Cnet, Brighter, sharper clearer... Has anyone else compared the two? Everyone that has seen my TV says Vivid has the best look but I don't see anyone saying this on the forums? By the way. I am in a dimlly lit room, sometimes very dark with by Blackout curtains. Thanks in advance for any feedback. I am very excited to own this TV, it is truly amazing...

Just use the settings you like and feel comfortable with and disregard any people telling you not to. With that said...expect to face some verbal abuse for admitting to using the Vivid-mode biggrin.gif
post #8 of 38 Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Wasn't quite expecting that, I will line up and smack myself and each of the 10 family and friends I had over for some movies for also liking vivid better as punishment LOL, I did get some good laughs from the responses, and ty for the feedback.

Since the CNet settings look worse than Vivid on my ZT (to dark) I guess my only other option would be to get it calibrated. Any good suggestions for an ace calibrator in the Miami Florida area? Or any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

post #9 of 38 Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Wasn't quite expecting that, I will line up and smack myself and each of the 10 family and friends I had over for some movies for also liking vivid better as punishment LOL, I did get some good laughs from the responses, and ty for the feedback.

Since the CNet settings look worse than Vivid on my ZT (to dark) I guess my only other option would be to get it calibrated. Any good suggestions for an ace calibrator in the Miami Florida area? Or any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

BB usually has a before and after calibration setup on their floors. Granted, their calibrations might not be in the best environment and it might not be the best but you can gauge if you'd like a calibration or not. Usually a calibrated picture is way darker than vivid so you might be paying money for something you might not like at all.
post #10 of 38 Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 168
If you like Vivid setting so much, you should of just bought a cheap LCD and saved yourself a couple of thousand dollars. Chunon is right about using Vivid , it's more prone to IR as the panel is aging in its early stages. After a few 100 hrs it's fine but it really does give you an overblown unaccurate picture, it is a waste to use it on such a fine TV but everyone has different taste and that's fine.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #11 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Stryderlis, Thank you for the reply that is a good suggestion along with the other gentleman to check out getting it calibrated, I will go check out BB and see if they have a calibrated TV setup, I have to go buy a sound system anyways so I'll kill two birds with one stone.

post #12 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Like putting ketchup on a filet. wink.gif

But seriously, watch it the way it looks best to you. Great TV.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #13 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Hello all, I bought a Panasonic ZT60 about a week ago. I went to the C-Net site and copied the settings under custom on the zt60 menu for HDMI input 1.

Using an HDMI connection, I find the Vivid setting looks better then the custom settings from Cnet in my opinion and others that have viewed my TV, Brighter, sharper clearer...

The only thing I would complain about Vivid is a real dark scene with a bright light in the movie (Eample: A dark tunnel with a torch) I saw some artifacts around the torch as opposed to the C-net settings that showed some but fewer with the same scene Other than real dark parts of a movie I think Vivid looks better.

Has anyone else compared the two? Everyone that has seen my TV says Vivid has the best look but I don't see anyone saying this on the forums? By the way. I am in a dimlly lit room, sometimes very dark with by Blackout curtains. Thanks in advance for any feedback. I am very excited to own this TV, it is truly amazing...

Maybe try the THX Bright Room setting and see how that looks. It's usually a nice trade off of picture quality and light output.

The problem with Vivid mode, while it may look appealing to some due to the high light output, is how horribly inacurate it is. The colors are way overblow and unatural looking giving everything an artificial look. You are most likely losing a ton of detail in the picture, especially in darker scenes. Usually when people buy a TV of this quality, they are looking for accuracy.

Another issue is you may have some eyestrain and discomfort if you watch the set for too long in a dark room with that high of light output.

It does take time to adjust for alot of people if they are not used to an accurate display, but once your brain gets trained to it, it's hard to go back.
post #14 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Has anyone else compared the two? Everyone that has seen my TV says Vivid has the best look but I don't see anyone saying this on the forums? By the way. I am in a dimlly lit room, sometimes very dark with by Blackout curtains. Thanks in advance for any feedback. I am very excited to own this TV, it is truly amazing...
I agreed,change the HDMI content type to Graphics which will introduce better skin tone and more details.....

Panasonic TC-P55VT50
HARMAN KARDON AVR 7300
L & R :> POLK RTI A9 500 W
PARASOUND HALO A21 250 W
EMOTIVA UPA-1 200 W
POLK CSI A6 200 W
POLK RTi A3 150 W
POLK F/XI A6 150 W
Panasonic DMP-BDT 500
PANAMAX M5400-EX
SVS PCI12 ULTRA 525 W
post #15 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the continued suggestions, have switched back to the custom mode CNET settings and added Graphics to the HDMI Type I also put Video NR on auto in case of those artifacts in the darker scenes with a light source.

post #16 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

If you like Vivid setting so much, you should of just bought a cheap LCD and saved yourself a couple of thousand dollars. Chunon is right about using Vivid , it's more prone to IR as the panel is aging in its early stages. After a few 100 hrs it's fine but it really does give you an overblown unaccurate picture, it is a waste to use it on such a fine TV but everyone has different taste and that's fine.
*should HAVE (soz, pet peeve when it comes to basic English).

There's also no guarantee IR susceptibility will lessen after the first few hundred hours.
post #17 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 09:40 AM

I switched to Vivid mode on my ST60 the other day just to see what it looked like and let me tell you, I couldn't grab the remote fast enough.
muffinmcfluffin and philz662 like this.
post #18 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

*should HAVE (soz, pet peeve when it comes to basic English).

There's also no guarantee IR susceptibility will lessen after the first few hundred hours.

No but running a tv in vivid mode is just begging for long term IR

post #19 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 09:52 AM

I am in no way defending the OP's choice to use Vivid mode. When I saw what that mode did to the black level, I nearly upchucked.
post #20 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

If you knew my first name you would "upchuck" even more lol Anyway I am certainly not mantaining if you don't use Vivid you won't get IR we all know that isn't true. There are certain settings and uses(gaming) that make it much more likely to appear. It is also more likely to be of the longterm variety imo

post #21 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 AM

:P

I would agree that Vivid significantly adds to the IR risk.
post #22 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Caiman, since you have the ST60 series I am not sure that your Vivid comparison would be accurate to my ZT. I may be wrong but isn't the ZT using more powerful filters? Not sure, maybe the experts can clarify... I think most of the people commenting have the ZT series, or at least the VT I hope. I have kept it on the C-Net settings throughout the day today and watched Riddick, Avengers, and TV, agree now it is better especially close up.

Thanks for the tips.

post #23 of 38 Old 12-23-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Caiman, since you have the ST60 series I am not sure that your Vivid comparison would be accurate to my ZT. I may be wrong but isn't the ZT using more powerful filters? Not sure, maybe the experts can clarify... I think most of the people commenting have the ZT series, or at least the VT I hope. I have kept it on the C-Net settings throughout the day today and watched Riddick, Avengers, and TV, agree now it is better especially close up.

Thanks for the tips.

True there are picture differences between the ST and ZT, but it's hard for me to imagine that the differences are so great that vivid looks horrible on one set but good on the other. I've seen vivid mode on various TVs and it's always offensive to my eyes. But to each his own.
post #24 of 38 Old 12-24-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Vivid mode is vivid mode doesn't really vary from set to set, it will always feature exaggerated cartoonish color and degraded black levels

post #25 of 38 Old 12-24-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

If you like Vivid setting so much, you should of just bought a cheap LCD and saved yourself a couple of thousand dollars.

Exactly. He would have not been able to tell the difference.

post #26 of 38 Old 12-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 247
That is what gives vivid color ST60 HDTV channel :

wink.gif

Pioneer LX 5090H + Démo G5  C+ Csat HD + DD et la TNT + Pioneer LX55 + Sony BD-S790 ... Pana 50 ST60 + PS3 BD + Pioneer BD320 ... CRT Philips 32 PW 9520 P+2 DNM + TNT Thomson DTI 652 + Pioneer DV 380 ... BR 137 .

post #27 of 38 Old 12-25-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

If you knew my first name you would "upchuck" even more lol Anyway I am certainly not mantaining if you don't use Vivid you won't get IR we all know that isn't true. There are certain settings and uses(gaming) that make it much more likely to appear. It is also more likely to be of the longterm variety imo

what Sammy? Vinnie loves that name.biggrin.gif

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #28 of 38 Old 12-25-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

That is what gives vivid color ST60 HDTV channel :
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

wink.gif

It might just be because those are photographs, but I don't see anything wrong with those images.

But yes, Vivid (or Dynamic for Samsung) is ugleh! It's funny how you're actually remedying the artifacts with more artificial processing, and you're softening the picture that you claimed to be sharp all the meanwhile.

Calibration does a lot of things to your image to help it, but more specifically it hits the right light in the right places. Great shadow detail, flesh tones, and clarity. You mentioned clarity before with Vivid on, but I would disagree with that. I think it's as unclear as you can get given all of the preset modes. Just because you can see somebody's wrinkles more doesn't mean it's clearer. If you're talking detail, that's mostly from the overboasted contrast and sharpness. If you want more detail and depth, buy yourself a DarbeeVision Darblet and set it at HD 50%. Make sure the TV is calibrated first, though. wink.gif

Oh, and Best Buy probably won't sell you on calibration in general. I think you'll go back to liking Vivid again after all is said and done.
post #29 of 38 Old 12-25-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Damn your right! Screw the dark calibration! I'm back to VIVID! thanks for letting me see the light, no pun intended...)

post #30 of 38 Old 12-26-2013, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

what Sammy? Vinnie loves that name.biggrin.gif

Nope wink.gif and BTW Vivid looks nothing like that on the ST60 unless those pics are from a calibrated set. Still don't understand someone buying a $3000 dollar tv and running it in VIvid mode but to each his own

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page