Panasonic S60 Grey Spot - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-21-2013, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Basically, I bought the S60 back in June from Sears. This was my very first plasma and I was careful to treat it with respect. The number one reason I switched from LCD/LED, aside from picture quality, was the dirty screen effect. I can't stand a lack of uniformity in a screen. Recently, a dark smudge (almost a slight red tint at certain angles) developed on my screen. I first noticed it when watching a scene with clouds moving by. It's very subtle and hard to notice, but I can point it out by bringing up Paint on my HTPC and moving the screen around. It's a streak about 2 inches long and it's killing me. I'm way past Sears 90-day return window. Is this the kind of thing I should put up with, or should I try contacting Panasonic? My screen is still under warranty, but is something like this covered? I've tried running content for 24 hours along with the white scroll bar, but no luck. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-22-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by anime513 View Post

Basically, I bought the S60 back in June from Sears. This was my very first plasma and I was careful to treat it with respect. The number one reason I switched from LCD/LED, aside from picture quality, was the dirty screen effect. I can't stand a lack of uniformity in a screen. Recently, a dark smudge (almost a slight red tint at certain angles) developed on my screen. I first noticed it when watching a scene with clouds moving by. It's very subtle and hard to notice, but I can point it out by bringing up Paint on my HTPC and moving the screen around. It's a streak about 2 inches long and it's killing me. I'm way past Sears 90-day return window. Is this the kind of thing I should put up with, or should I try contacting Panasonic? My screen is still under warranty, but is something like this covered? I've tried running content for 24 hours along with the white scroll bar, but no luck. Any advice?

Sounds like it may be some kind of line bleeding issue. Contact Panasonic support, since the set is still under warranty.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

I got my 42" S60 2 days ago. I have a little grey dot on my screen. I hope it goes away....

If I were you, I'd warranty it.

Edit: While you can....

post #4 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by oechikr View Post

I got my 42" S60 2 days ago. I have a little grey dot on my screen. I hope it goes away....

If I were you, I'd warranty it.

Edit: While you can....

can you post a pic?

I saw such dots on mine until I realized they were specks of dust. How big is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

can you post a pic?

I saw such dots on mine until I realized they were specks of dust. How big is it?

I'll post a pic, hold on.

post #6 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 AM

It shows up on every slide. I can notice it more on brighter slides or lighter colors. It's 2 millimeters big on the bottom right corner of the panel. Also, I was taking a photo with my cell phone about 5 inches away from the screen.

post #7 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah, that's big enough to warrant a replacement (or panel replacement if you go the repair route)

it has the same shadowy look the line on my screen has and appears to be a uniformity issue of some sort

there's no chance it's a large cluster of dead pixels, right?

post #8 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

yeah, that's big enough to warrant a replacement (or panel replacement if you go the repair route)

it has the same shadowy look the line on my screen has and appears to be a uniformity issue of some sort

there's no chance it's a large cluster of dead pixels, right?

Post a pic of your defects. Chances are my problem is a cluster of pixels because it's defiantly bigger than the one flickering pixel I saw. With your problem, yes it is probably a large cluster of dead pixels. 

I decided to turn the tv off for a good half an hour and let it cool a little bit. After half an hour I'm gonna go to built in solid colors in the menu to see if that grey spot is still there. 

Edit: Couldn't find the color menu some people were talking about once but I went to the screen wipe and that grey dot is STILL there.

post #9 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oechikr View Post

Post a pic of your defects. Chances are my problem is a cluster of pixels because it's defiantly bigger than the one flickering pixel I saw. With your problem, yes it is probably a large cluster of dead pixels. 

I decided to turn the tv off for a good half an hour and let it cool a little bit. After half an hour I'm gonna go to built in solid colors in the menu to see if that grey spot is still there. 

Edit: Couldn't find the color menu some people were talking about once but I went to the screen wipe and that grey dot is STILL there.
let me clarify, the line on my set is definitely a uniformity issue... I was asking about your gray spot.

post #10 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The color menu is in the service menu under "aging"

Once there, use the 3 and 4 buttons on the remote to cycle through the patterns. My issues were still there on the built in patterns, which rules out source issues.

post #11 of 11 Old 12-27-2013, 02:19 AM

Yeah... I'm 4 days into the purchase. I've decided I'm gonna return it and exchange for another brand new S60. Luckily the store gave me the leeway to do this instead of owning a 1 week old repaired S60.... One of the sales men on the phone even said that there should be NO dead or stuck pixels on a brand new Panasonic.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60
Gear in this thread - P60s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page