Panasonic ZT60 picture is too dark - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-26-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Here is the story. Bought a ZT60 which was made in July 2013. Had a perfect picture but fans were making too much noise. Had it replaced with the the other ZT60 made in October 2013. Fans are quite now but the picture on a new unit is visible darker, on every picture setting. 

In general it looks like brightness on the TV made in October in every picture mode is a level darker than on the TV made in July. For example: brightness on the THX Cinema mode on the new unit looks like EBU default on an old one. TXH Bright Room on the new one looks like THX Cinema on the old and THX Bright room setting on the new one it's just not as bright when there is sun in the room.

I'm comparing the same movies and it's not just my opinion, my wife noticed the same difference in the picture brightness.  

Did i get a defective plasma? Is TV going to get darker with age? Should i replace the unit. Kind of lost here.

Appreciate any input. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibril View Post

Here is the story. Bought a ZT60 which was made in July 2013. Had a perfect picture but fans were making too much noise. Had it replaced with the the other ZT60 made in October 2013. Fans are quite now but the picture on a new unit is visible darker, on every picture setting. 

In general it looks like brightness on the TV made in October in every picture mode is a level darker than on the TV made in July. For example: brightness on the THX Cinema mode on the new unit looks like EBU default on an old one. TXH Bright Room on the new one looks like THX Cinema on the old and THX Bright room setting on the new one it's just not as bright when there is sun in the room.

I'm comparing the same movies and it's not just my opinion, my wife noticed the same difference in the picture brightness.  

Did i get a defective plasma? Is TV going to get darker with age? Should i replace the unit. Kind of lost here.

Appreciate any input. 

Try a reset.

Call tech support and or search for a thread in this forum on how to reset your TV and see if it clears up.

If not ,maybe you need to swap out again....It could be your set was laid on its side during trasportation or at the warehouse.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #3 of 7 Old 12-26-2013, 02:05 PM

Liked: 19
I have myself thought about what the long term effects of the "fanfix" Panasonic has would be, does it only affect sound or does it also affect actual air flow (decrease it)? If the later, it could affect long term performance as the TVs were probably designed to have the original air flow. Since most heat would come from brightness of the panel (I assume), decreased air flow would perhaps also mean decreased picture brightness. But I'm just speculating here, would be interesting if someone had more info?
post #4 of 7 Old 12-26-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Reseted it. Didn't help. Going to initiate the swap. 

post #5 of 7 Old 12-26-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting thought. One thing i've noted, when running break in slides, on the brightmost slide TV with the "fanfix" making hight pitch sound. Don't remember hearing this sound on the TV without the "fanfix" 

post #6 of 7 Old 12-26-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting thought. One thing i've noted, when running break in slides, on the brightmost slide TV with the "fanfix" making hight pitch sound. Don't remember hearing this sound on the TV without the "fanfix" 

post #7 of 7 Old 12-29-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Try a reset.

Call tech support and or search for a thread in this forum on how to reset your TV and see if it clears up.

If not ,maybe you need to swap out again....It could be your set was laid on its side during trasportation or at the warehouse.

Here is the update. 

Used the TV for 50 hours with the break in slides and it got much brighter. Almost as bright as the first set.

Does it mean TV just has to be broken in? Should i still exchange it (already set up the exchange date)?

I wonder if it's a normal behavior for all new Panasonics plasmas, before the break in time....   

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60zt60 by PriceGrabber.com