New guy here with need for recommendation~ - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Given my Room Situation.
Plasma 1 100.00%
LCD-LED 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-27-2013, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello everybody,

OBJECTIVE: I am trying to buy a nice bang for buck (roughly $550 and roughly 46") TV without going to the store and randomly picking one that looks nice (which I believe most people do).

CURRENT: I currently have a Sony Trinitron (LINK) purchased back around 2003 (enough said..). Side note: I thought it was a 32" until I actually looked it up about a week ago.. 

ROOM: My room may be a death trap for TVs: its about 22' by 13' with 8 windows (including glass doors to the outside as well as 2 sun roofs) that accounts for about 90% of the room horizontally across 3 walls. Sun roof windows are 6' by 3' x2 on either side of the couch. The back wall (where the couch is) has two 6' wide sliding doors to different living rooms. The TV is 8'6" from the couch; 11' if wall mounted. To be clear, the room is wide as opposed to long. Light source is a chandelier about 6' off the ground and ceiling is 8'6". White walls with white blinds. Couch is facing south.

USE: Watching blu-rays, steaming and gaming through PS3 and most likely to be used with laptop and computer through aftermarket graphics card for gaming, movies, etc. 

PREFERENCE: I would like a Samsung possible but definitely doesn't have to be. Also would prefer a 1080p to a 720p. Doesn't have to Smart (honestly prefer not) but 3D would be cool. 

The reason why I went so specific about the room was because I wanted to know if I plasma would work or not because it seems like the plasma is the way to go for best bang for buck (LINK). I'm not sure what the specifications of my current TV are but I read that modern day plasmas can output more light than TVs from a decade ago (CRT). A positive about the room is that there is no direct light onto the TV but rather lots of ambient light meaning hopefully reflections will low(er). 

Although many people believe that 720p is fine based on viewing distance and such, I feel like I would prefer a 1080p screen due to use with a computer (not completely sure on this one). 

Currently I am looking at UN46EH5300 (LINK), UN46FH6030 (LINK), UN46F5500 (LINK), PN51F4500 (LINK), UN46EH5000 (LINK) and UN46F6300 (LINK). 

Used or second hand is not a problem for me but I suppose in this case, newer is usually better. 

I am looking for recommendations or advice, either plasma or lcd-led. 

Thank you,
John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-27-2013, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Seems your biggest concern is ambient room light, and I'll let the experts chime in on that. But one thing I can comment on is I think you'll want a bigger screen than 46". At 8.5' viewing distance that's going to look tiny, let alone at 11'. My TV is 65" and my viewing distance is right around 8.5', and anything smaller would be too small.

Also, you likely won't see any difference between 720 and 1080 on a 46" screen at that distance.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46eh5300 46 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Electronics Un46fh6030 46 Inch Led Tv , Samsung Un46f5500 46 Inch Class Smart Tv Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page