Led vizio or plasma panasonic - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 70 Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,778
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeath View Post

In your opinion, will you go for a plasma just with the manufacturer warranty or it's too risky?
I don't think it matters if it is a Plasma or an LED. If you want an extended warranty then go for it. A plasma isn't going to fail any more then any other tech.
eric3316 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 70 Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I covered that in the last page, fell on deaf ears. wink.gif The one data point to be taken away from that Consumer Reports study in 2011 is that when either tech *did* fail (and there were out-of-pocket expenses), the plasma on average cost more to fix (by a little over $100) than the LCD.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #63 of 70 Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
tdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post


I don't think it matters if it is a Plasma or an LED. If you want an extended warranty then go for it. A plasma isn't going to fail any more then any other tech.

Yeah, of course any product of any brand and with any technology can fail, that's clear...the only thing I doubt is that, I have the Vizio purchased in Best Buy with extended warranty with Geek Squad, and the only place where I can buy the ST60 50 inches is in Sears just with the manufacturer warranty, so I cannot go for extended warranty unless it's Best Buy...and it's a discontinued product already...

tdeath is offline  
post #64 of 70 Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
tdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I covered that in the last page, fell on deaf ears. wink.gif The one data point to be taken away from that Consumer Reports study in 2011 is that when either tech *did* fail (and there were out-of-pocket expenses), the plasma on average cost more to fix (by a little over $100) than the LCD.

Yeah vinnie, I guess as all averages, it depends in how many cases were taken into account to make that average and which were the costs...maybe there were fixes of 200$ and others of 1000$...the same for LEDs and Plasmas.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't like to have problems with the plasma screen in case of something could appear and..of course the LED can fail in the same way, but at least is purchased in Best Buy and I'm covered with Geek Squad.

My big problem is to fail in my decision of keeping what I have or invest in what everybody says is the best thing ever...:(

tdeath is offline  
post #65 of 70 Old 01-06-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,778
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeath View Post

Yeah, of course any product of any brand and with any technology can fail, that's clear...the only thing I doubt is that, I have the Vizio purchased in Best Buy with extended warranty with Geek Squad, and the only place where I can buy the ST60 50 inches is in Sears just with the manufacturer warranty, so I cannot go for extended warranty unless it's Best Buy...and it's a discontinued product already...
I think you should just keep what you have because I am not even sure what you are asking here anymore. There are extended warranties you can buy for a TV no matter where you buy the TV from.

You keep disregarding what everyone is telling you here so just stick with the Vizio and don't worry about failure rates and extended warranties and what other people think are the best. There are plenty of people who hate plasmas.
eric3316 is online now  
post #66 of 70 Old 01-08-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
tdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post


I think you should just keep what you have because I am not even sure what you are asking here anymore. There are extended warranties you can buy for a TV no matter where you buy the TV from.

You keep disregarding what everyone is telling you here so just stick with the Vizio and don't worry about failure rates and extended warranties and what other people think are the best. There are plenty of people who hate plasmas.

I'm not disregarding anything eric3316, exactly the contrary cause I'm taking into account everything that all of you are posting, and it's helping me and making me learn a lot.

 

What I was and I'm still asking for opinion is very clear:

- I'm still in the test days for my purchase, the M501d-a2r, and I just want the best possible purchase for my money.

- I'm happy with the tv, except for the backlightning.

- The options that I see for my case are:

        . Keep my Vizio trying to forget what I see with the backlights.

        . Buy a TC-P50ST60 in Sears with no protection plan (just with the one year offered by the manufacturer), because it's the only place where they have this model...

        . Wait for the new models that Vizio is going to put on the market in not too much time, with full array led (new M series, http://ces.vizio.com/) or the UHD TV (P Series). The bad point of this option is that the have dropped the 3D feature, that we personally enjoy.

 

About the option of buying the ST60, that's why I was asking about extended warranties that cover the screen in the plasmas because as far as I have read (I could be wrong) the plasmas are more prone to fail in different ways than the LEDs, in one way or the other, by appearing things in the screen, and with the LEDs there are a bunch of people that don't like the backlightning but I have read less about breaking or appearing stuff in the screen...

 

I understand what you say, that I'm looking a little bit too much what other people say, but as everyone wants I guess, I just try to make the best of my money and I don't want to spend it and then regret because I didn't choose the right option.

tdeath is offline  
post #67 of 70 Old 01-08-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,778
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeath View Post

I'm not disregarding anything eric3316, exactly the contrary cause I'm taking into account everything that all of you are posting, and it's helping me and making me learn a lot.

What I was and I'm still asking for opinion is very clear:
- I'm still in the test days for my purchase, the M501d-a2r, and I just want the best possible purchase for my money.
- I'm happy with the tv, except for the backlightning.
- The options that I see for my case are:
        . Keep my Vizio trying to forget what I see with the backlights.
        . Buy a TC-P50ST60 in Sears with no protection plan (just with the one year offered by the manufacturer), because it's the only place where they have this model...
        . Wait for the new models that Vizio is going to put on the market in not too much time, with full array led (new M series, http://ces.vizio.com/) or the UHD TV (P Series). The bad point of this option is that the have dropped the 3D feature, that we personally enjoy.

About the option of buying the ST60, that's why I was asking about extended warranties that cover the screen in the plasmas because as far as I have read (I could be wrong) the plasmas are more prone to fail in different ways than the LEDs, in one way or the other, by appearing things in the screen, and with the LEDs there are a bunch of people that don't like the backlightning but I have read less about breaking or appearing stuff in the screen...

I understand what you say, that I'm looking a little bit too much what other people say, but as everyone wants I guess, I just try to make the best of my money and I don't want to spend it and then regret because I didn't choose the right option.
The best TV is what looks the best to you and not what someone else tells you. On paper and charts ST60 obliderates the Vizio M series. They are not even comparable. Does that mean you will like the St60 better, nope.

As far as warranties are concerned, that should not be a reason to buy or not buy a TV. A plasma can get IR. Be careful with it and you will be fine. Run the same thing every day over and over and over again and it can become burn-in. If you watch something with a static logo for a long time then you can run some things to clear your panel up. If you don't clear it up and keep the same thing on there, then you might run into problems.

A little care can go a long way. With your Vizio, no matter what you do to it or how much care you you cannot fix the terrible screen issues and no matter what your warranty covers on that TV you still have a terrible nightime viewing screen.

Every TV will have it's faults. If you think Vizio's 2014 panels are going to be perfect, I can assure you they will come with their fair share of problems. Bargain prices and overhyped marketing does not equal quality products.

Will the 2014 Vizio be better then the 2013 models. Maybe but no one has tested them to really no the answer to that and that might be a few months out before the verdict is in.
eric3316 is online now  
post #68 of 70 Old 01-08-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
tdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post


The best TV is what looks the best to you and not what someone else tells you. On paper and charts ST60 obliderates the Vizio M series. They are not even comparable. Does that mean you will like the St60 better, nope.

As far as warranties are concerned, that should not be a reason to buy or not buy a TV. A plasma can get IR. Be careful with it and you will be fine. Run the same thing every day over and over and over again and it can become burn-in. If you watch something with a static logo for a long time then you can run some things to clear your panel up. If you don't clear it up and keep the same thing on there, then you might run into problems.

A little care can go a long way. With your Vizio, no matter what you do to it or how much care you you cannot fix the terrible screen issues and no matter what your warranty covers on that TV you still have a terrible nightime viewing screen.

Every TV will have it's faults. If you think Vizio's 2014 panels are going to be perfect, I can assure you they will come with their fair share of problems. Bargain prices and overhyped marketing does not equal quality products.

Will the 2014 Vizio be better then the 2013 models. Maybe but no one has tested them to really no the answer to that and that might be a few months out before the verdict is in.

 

Exactly, the best one will be the best one that looks to me but I don't have the chance to have in my home the models I wanted to test, for instance the ST60, so I have to ask and see opinions in here. I'd take the ST60 to try if Sears wouldn't charge 15% stocking fee when you return it.

The protection plan is important for me, is not the main and only reason but as you are saying, you have to be really careful with plasmas and it's possible that if you get distracted or you don't follow exactly the required steps for a plasma (like the channel logos) you can get that IR or burn in. They are more delicated and that's why I'd like to have a protection plan that covers that, I don't think that it's nothing weird what I'm saying.

And of course nobody knows yet if the new Vizio models will be better than the current ones, but reading the specs I could say that with full array led instead of edge lit, much more dimming zones than the current ones, they will perform better and maybe the backlightning is better.

tdeath is offline  
post #69 of 70 Old 01-08-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 1,712
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeath View Post

Exactly, the best one will be the best one that looks to me but I don't have the chance to have in my home the models I wanted to test, for instance the ST60, so I have to ask and see opinions in here. I'd take the ST60 to try if Sears wouldn't charge 15% stocking fee when you return it.
The protection plan is important for me, is not the main and only reason but as you are saying, you have to be really careful with plasmas and it's possible that if you get distracted or you don't follow exactly the required steps for a plasma (like the channel logos) you can get that IR or burn in. They are more delicated and that's why I'd like to have a protection plan that covers that, I don't think that it's nothing weird what I'm saying.
And of course nobody knows yet if the new Vizio models will be better than the current ones, but reading the specs I could say that with full array led instead of edge lit, much more dimming zones than the current ones, they will perform better and maybe the backlightning is better.

If we all judged the quality of a display off specs then we would all own the perfect one. Vizio makes a solid budget TV, but it will never produce one that will equal the ST60 (or other plasmas from Samsung or Panasonic). Their track record for customer service is poor and they have done full array in the past and it didn't go over well - in fact if I remember (from when I spent time on the LCD threads) the sets didn't get much love from their owners. Vizio has a target market and they do a good job of capturing that market. I'm sure they 4k displays they just announced will go over big with consumers who don't realize just how big a display has to be to see the difference from the increase in resolution from 6 to 8 feet away. The 50" may make for a good computer monitor though smile.gif

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
smurraybhm is offline  
post #70 of 70 Old 01-08-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
tdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Yeah, I know what you mean...and I wasn't interested at all in that feature of 4K at first, but they sell it in a very good price.

 

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57366319-221/why-4k-tvs-are-stupid/

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57566079-221/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

tdeath is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M501d A2r 50 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Vs Led
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off