Led vizio or plasma panasonic - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 70 Old 12-28-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi guys,
I guess you have talked about this topic 1 million times, but I need opinion about it smile.gif
I've moved from Spain to USA just a few days ago, and I've been researching like 1 month before coming.
My first choice was always the Vizio M501d-a2r that I saw for 599$ in blackfriday but it was impossible to get, and now it's in 799$.
I went to Best Buy the other night, and I ask the guy if there were anything in my price range that could be better than the one I want and he said about the Panasonic plasma TC-P50ST60 which had the sticker of the 5 star reviewed from cnet, for 999$.
I've been thinking and thinking and...even tough they said that the vizio had nothing to do with the Panasonic image quality, with the 200$ difference and the difference in the geek squad protection plan for 2 years (99$ for vizio and 139$ for the Panasonic) I have decided to take the vizio and try it for 14 days and...decide.
What y'all can tell me about all that?

I know that all of you have much more knowledge than me in all that but I write the features just in case:

- Vizio M501d-a2r, 50'' led fullhd, 240hz, 3d passive, 8 pair of glasses
- Panasonic TC-P50ST60, 50'' plasma fullhd, 600hz, 3d active, 2 pairs of glasses

My use is gonna be basically a lot of movies, direct tv, and sometimes watch a 3d movie or play some games.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 12-28-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 180
There is no comparison, the ST60 is superior in every way.
mailiang likes this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #3 of 70 Old 12-28-2013, 12:00 PM

Liked: 11
I just switched from an LCD to a plasma last night and I can hardly find the words to describe the awesome difference in picture. I went to a S60 so I can imagine the ST60 would be even better.
Dunday likes this.
post #4 of 70 Old 12-28-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I do not think you will find anyone in the plasma forums that will tell you anything other than go Panny plasma. If picture quality is important to you then plasma is the only real option unless your viewing environment is just absolutely horrible with glare and light reflections.
post #5 of 70 Old 12-28-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Unless you prefer overly bright displays, the ST is a much better choice. See review and comments on both sets here:http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-m501d-a2r/4505-6482_7-35781439.html

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 70 Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

I like the bright image but also sharp and deep, well defined...I don't like just brightness.
I saw in best buy both TVs and for me in the store the vizio looked better with all the lights they have in there but everybody tells me that the plasma offers a much better picture quality, that the vizio has nothing to do, and for 200$ difference to be paid in several months, I don't want to make a wrong decision, I want to make the best for my money.
I'm not a videophile but I love the good and sharp image but not too dark...that's the main doubt I have...I probably would love the perfection of the picture, but I don't want either a obscure picture.
post #7 of 70 Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Grabbing a Vizio LED over the last Panasonic plasma is a surefire way to feeling regret. There is nothing obscure about an accurate picture, which the Panasonic does best.
post #8 of 70 Old 12-29-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeath View Post

I like the bright image but also sharp and deep, well defined...I don't like just brightness.
I saw in best buy both TVs and for me in the store the vizio looked better with all the lights they have in there but everybody tells me that the plasma offers a much better picture quality, that the vizio has nothing to do, and for 200$ difference to be paid in several months, I don't want to make a wrong decision, I want to make the best for my money.
I'm not a videophile but I love the good and sharp image but not too dark...that's the main doubt I have...I probably would love the perfection of the picture, but I don't want either a obscure picture.

You are a typical buyer attracted to a brighter torch mode. Once you get home it's a different story, while the Vizio might look ok in the daytime it will suffer nighttime viewing. The panny is great for both viewing environments. Unless you live in a solarium, I would get the Panny. Just my opinion.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

post #9 of 70 Old 12-29-2013, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

There is no comparison, the ST60 is superior in every way.

Except the absurdly high input lag on the ST60.

post #10 of 70 Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post

Except the absurdly high input lag on the ST60.

It's way overblown, most serious nerd gamers game on a PC anyways. Many people game on Panny plasmas with no problems, I'm one of them.
sheshechic likes this.

post #11 of 70 Old 12-29-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Is it really a problem that about the input lag?
I mean...I don't even really know what is it but...although I don't play much, I wouldn't like to have any problem.
I have been testing the vizio with the xbox 360 and the call of duty ghosts and I've not seen any problems with it...the only thing maybe not a very vivid colors but the rest was perfect. What happens with the st60? I wouldn't like to change my vizio for a Panasonic and have problems...
post #12 of 70 Old 12-29-2013, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

It's way overblown, most serious nerd gamers game on a PC anyways. Many people game on Panny plasmas with no problems, I'm one of them.

Most penny plasmas have half if not more if the input lag of the st60. It's not way overblown it's an issue with like a 300 pages of posts about it on this forum.
post #13 of 70 Old 12-29-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post

Most penny plasmas have half if not more if the input lag of the st60. It's not way overblown it's an issue with like a 300 pages of posts about it on this forum.

Like I said it's an issue with serious nerd gamers that love playing first shooter games , for the rest of the population it's not really an issue. But than again I don't have an ST60 ,my cousin has one and I played on his set and didn't experience any lag.

post #14 of 70 Old 12-30-2013, 04:19 AM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Not true. PCs have too much input lag to be considered as a true serious nerd gamer's system. I game on my Panasonic S60 and a Xbox360 game with 720p resolution + V-sync ON + FXAA ON has less input lag than the same PC game with 1:1 overscan resolution (1080p) + V-Sync OFF + Triple buffering OFF + FXAA OFF. I only game on PC because 720P 30FPS games look ass on 1080p plasmas. If a console game offers 1080p + 60fps, I take that over the PC game for lower input lag.
post #15 of 70 Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
That's like saying CRT's have more lag than flat screens, sound like a PC issue.
post #16 of 70 Old 12-30-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank y'all for your responses.
I didn't mean to convert this thread in another one talking about the input lag like that other one of 300 pages...I just want to know if for a normal gamer like me, there would me a noticeable problem with the input lag or not.
I like sports games, racing games and first shooter games...with which games is more noticeable all that?
Is it something that makes you crazy?
post #17 of 70 Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

That's like saying CRT's have more lag than flat screens, sound like a PC issue.

More like a Vista problem to be exact. Windows XP and below do not have input lags this bad. I am on Windows 7 and really want go back to the XP, but I have a Haswell PC, so I can't. Same issue with my Sony GDM-FW900, but obviously CRTs handle input lags much better so it's a less of an issue, but still an issue. I will be using Nintendo Wii exclusively for my classic emulation needs instead of my PC. Handles classic games much better.

But if anyone has to use a PC, then here are some tips for reducing input lag. Use Windows XP if possible. Turn off V-sync and FXAA.(Triple buffering is also known to increase input lag, but it's miniscule compared to the other two) Some games do not display in 1080p when run on fullscreen. In that case, use windowed mode.
post #18 of 70 Old 12-30-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

More like a Vista problem to be exact. Windows XP and below do not have input lags this bad. I am on Windows 7 and really want go back to the XP, but I have a Haswell PC, so I can't.

Ahh, makes sence, hard to beat a good XP system:)
post #19 of 70 Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

Ahh, makes sence, hard to beat a good XP system:)

Not to mention good compatibility with old games. I mean, GTA Vice City is hardly an old game yet I had to go through hell just to play it on Windows 7. tongue.gif
post #20 of 70 Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not true. PCs have too much input lag to be considered as a true serious nerd gamer's system.

I'm sure there are PC's and monitors with less input lag. I don't know what you are talking about.

post #21 of 70 Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm sure there are PC's and monitors with less input lag. I don't know what you are talking about.

And why would I like to play my PC games on my 23 inch LCD monitor when I have a behemoth of a 50 inch plasma? I have a Dell monitor which does have decent input lag (16ms) but so what? Terrible blacks, uniformity, and motion performance coupled with a pint sized screen just to save a frame of input lag? I purchased Panasonic S60 with precise purpose of playing games. I rarely watch movies.

Having monitors with low input lag is not an excuse for piss poor input lag FROM THE OS. I still have a CRT monitor and it still is inexcusable. Microsoft has dropped a big ball with Vista.
post #22 of 70 Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And why would I like to play my PC games on my 23 inch LCD monitor when I have a behemoth of a 50 inch plasma? I have a Dell monitor which does have decent input lag (16ms) but so what? Terrible blacks, uniformity, and motion performance coupled with a pint sized screen just to save a frame of input lag? I purchased Panasonic S60 with precise purpose of playing games. I rarely watch movies.

Having monitors with low input lag is not an excuse for piss poor input lag FROM THE OS. I still have a CRT monitor and it still is inexcusable. Microsoft has dropped a big ball with Vista.

I'm just stating what you said, there are pc's and monitors with much less input lag than 16 ms. I'm not a gamer, I could care less if a PC has less input lag. I'm in favor of gaming on Panasonics. Obviously it's a better experience on a bigger screen.

post #23 of 70 Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm just stating what you said, there are pc's and monitors with much less input lag than 16 ms. I'm not a gamer, I could care less if a PC has less input lag. I'm in favor of gaming on Panasonics. Obviously it's a better experience on a bigger screen.

No, you're only half right. There ARE many PC monitors with less input lag than plasma TVs, but there aren't any PCs with less input lag unless you go XP and below. The latency from PCs are uniform and only other variables would be wireless latency. (I only use wired)

My other point still stands. Having displays with low input lag has absolutely nothing to do with tolerating system latency. If someone ever told me "As long as you play slow games, you can put up with motion blur from LCDs" would it be a comforting statement? I think not.
post #24 of 70 Old 01-03-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, I have another question...

Right now...I have pretty much no chance to take a Panasonic ST60 cause Best Buy has no more stock and...I still have the Vizio M501d-A2R that I ordered 7 days ago exactly...and it's not that I'm disappointed because I'm happy with the picture quality but I'm pretty annoyed with some things like the remote, that the tv is not able to reproduce some extension files like mkv (easy workaround of renaming the file to mp4...) or that it doesn't read srt files so it's impossible to have subtitles in the files unless you add the subtitle in the file...which is a really long process that I'm not gonna do for every single movie I download...

So my question is...for the TC-P50ST60, does it read subtitles? SRT files or any similar?

Does the ST60 read all the file extensions including the MKV? 

And another question...any LED or plasma under 1000$ that could be better than my Vizio M501d-A2R that I currently have?

I thank all your answers in advance, because it's a critical situation...I'm not happy with the tv I bought, and I'm still in time to give it back in case I find anything I like better or at least I find any workaround for all that...

They have the ST60 in other places for the same price, 999$ but they don't offer a protection plan like in Best Buy that covers the fix for pixels and burn-in screen...and as I've seen in several posts with the red lights and stuff....I don't want to take the risk

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #25 of 70 Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Any help please?????

And any way to avoid the black bars from the movies in 1920x800 that is not making zoom in the tv?????

Thankss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #26 of 70 Old 01-04-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeath View Post

Any help please?????
And any way to avoid the black bars from the movies in 1920x800 that is not making zoom in the tv?????

Thankss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can't find a Panasonic, take a look at the Samsung 5300 and 5500 plasmas. Both would probably be an improvement over any LCD, unless you prefer overly bright images. If you could zoom any image to eliminate the black bars, not only would you be missing at least 25% of the content, you would also be losing a significant amount of resolution and picture quality.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #27 of 70 Old 01-04-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I can zoom the image in this vizio, but as you say I lose a great part of the image and also resolution...is there any other way to do that? or does the st60 or those samsung can deal with it in a different way?

The movies that are in 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 are shown perfectly but the ones in 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 .... I have huge black bars...

Any idea if the st60 reads subtitles in a srt file???

post #28 of 70 Old 01-04-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Relying on a TV to read subtitle files is a crapshoot...support is not typically that great when it comes to file formats on TVs. You'd be better off getting a standalone media player or an Oppo Blu-ray player if you want that feature...then the TV you select won't matter.

And no, zooming is the only way to eliminate the black bars in letterbox movies (2.35:1) on widescreen (16:9) TVs.
post #29 of 70 Old 01-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Liked: 11
I have both a Vizio M series and a 4 year old Panasonic. Plasmas picture is light years ahead of LCD. Even a cheap plasma is light years ahead of any LCD. I still can't believe LCD TVs have almost killed the Plasma industry.
post #30 of 70 Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your answer vinnie97, I know that is not a big deal that the tv reads or not the subtitles in an external file, but it is for me cause I'm Spanish and I feel more comfortable to watch the movies or series with subtitles, and adding those to the movie is a really long operation...

What I have seen today about the aspect ratio is...that pluging the hard drive to the blueray player, the file is treated as a 1080p source and it is played perfectly (with the normal black bars because of being 2.35:1 or 2.40:1) and when I play the same file through the USB port, the tv doesn't recognize it as 1080p and it draws like double black bars in the top and the bottom...and it's really annoying cause I don't really see anything about how to change this aspect ratio in the tv...as I said, it works in the blueray player but in the brand new tv, it doesn't.

Thanks Newyorker, I really appreciate your opinion because you have also a M-series...are you happy with your Vizio? do you have the same problem as me pluging files through the USB port? is your plasma much more darker than your vizio?

And the only problem I have about not buying the plasma is...that I wouldn't like to buy it without insurance cause I've read that the plasma break more in average...

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M501d A2r 50 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Vs Led
Gear in this thread