Best buy calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-29-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got a free best buy calibration since buying my zt60 put me at that rewards level. Has anyone else had this done and how we're the results? Do they outsource or does the geek squad do it? I'm not expecting much since it is free but just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-29-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrwash13 View Post

I got a free best buy calibration since buying my zt60 put me at that rewards level. Has anyone else had this done and how we're the results? Do they outsource or does the geek squad do it? I'm not expecting much since it is free but just curious.

Write down the settings you have now, then get it done. Have them use the non-default modes on the set (don't know what they're called with Panasonic). Chances are it won't hurt anything, then you can revert back-and-forth and see where you might want to make compromises.

I got it done on my D7000, and while the experience was incredibly underwhelming, I can't argue with free. The guy was here for forty minutes, for better or worse. He helped with my white balance (even though there was way too much green push in the end) and I did the necessary tweaks afterward. A professional calibration would have been much better, which is what I got done on my F8500.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Unfortunately, Best Buy and Geek Squad are hurting the reputation of true calibration evidenced by some of the posts on the forum. I would advise not going though them even though it is free as they can actually make things worse in many cases and damper one's experience with calibration. Go with a top pro (Chad B, etc.) and optimize your set to its full potential. Period.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-29-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

will they be making changes that I can't reverse with a reset? Now i'm getting a little nervous.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-29-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrwash13 View Post

will they be making changes that I can't reverse with a reset? Now i'm getting a little nervous.

No.

Just make sure you ask for them to unlock the CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT presets in the service menu, and make sure they know what they're doing. Otherwise we can walk you through that, and just ask them to run two different settings through CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT, and also CAL-DAY in 3D if they can.

Like I said, you can have your own "settings" on the Movie preset, and technically they wouldn't have ever touched a thing in your eyes.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-30-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Update: they called and tried to reschedule last second for a new 4 hour window and I decided to just cancel. While it was free, it didn't sound like it was worth waiting around a whole day for since everyone has been underwhelmed.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-30-2013, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Not everyone has been underwhelmed, but I would take the positive reviews with a grain of salt.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page