Panasonic P65S60 Disappointing Picture Quality, but Why? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First let me say sorry if this post should have been placed elsewhere - I looked around and didn't see an obvious sub category. I also looked on the acronym definitions page to help describe my problem but couldn't find the obvious there either. So here goes:

Going from a Samsung PN58B650 I was expecting the "wow factor" with my first panasonic plasma, but was actually very disappointed. The best I can describe is that the picture doesn't have crisp sharp images. If you stand close to the set, it is very noticeable that the edges of text appear pixelated or having somewhat of a ghosted edge. It is particularly noticeable on channels with a lot of text that is changing - like ESPN sportscenter or CNBC financial. There are little news bars that "flip" to the next item, and momentarily the new text has the described problem, and then you see a slight change/improvement, but not complete improvement.

I thought possibly the issue is with the Dish Network input signal. When all input sources are turned off, the TV displays text message indicating no input sources, and this text appears crisp and doesn't seem to have the same grainy edges. I described this to Dish Network and they are sending a technician to check out. I went into the set-up / installation screen for pointing the Dish and it said my signal strength was only ~29% which seems really low, but Dish Network said it has no effect. The person I spoke to didn't come across as one of their sharper technicians, so you're never sure what to believe.

I wondered if the HDMI cable I use could have any relation to this. The ones I have are nothing special - just typical EBAY purchases. I've never bought into the idea that you need a super expensive cable but maybe I'm wrong about that. The 58" Samsung I replaced is broken (thats why I bought the Panny) so there's no way to say is any of my described problem existed on that TV. For sure I didnt have the same expectation and pay as close attention, so that picture could have been less than perfect also. But as much as people rave about Panasonics, I just cant believe that what I'm seeing is normal.

Appreciate any and all feedback.
Classico79 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish48084 View Post

First let me say sorry if this post should have been placed elsewhere - I looked around and didn't see an obvious sub category. I also looked on the acronym definitions page to help describe my problem but couldn't find the obvious there either. So here goes:

Going from a Samsung PN58B650 I was expecting the "wow factor" with my first panasonic plasma, but was actually very disappointed. The best I can describe is that the picture doesn't have crisp sharp images. If you stand close to the set, it is very noticeable that the edges of text appear pixelated or having somewhat of a ghosted edge. It is particularly noticeable on channels with a lot of text that is changing - like ESPN sportscenter or CNBC financial. There are little news bars that "flip" to the next item, and momentarily the new text has the described problem, and then you see a slight change/improvement, but not complete improvement.

I thought possibly the issue is with the Dish Network input signal. When all input sources are turned off, the TV displays text message indicating no input sources, and this text appears crisp and doesn't seem to have the same grainy edges. I described this to Dish Network and they are sending a technician to check out. I went into the set-up / installation screen for pointing the Dish and it said my signal strength was only ~29% which seems really low, but Dish Network said it has no effect. The person I spoke to didn't come across as one of their sharper technicians, so you're never sure what to believe.

I wondered if the HDMI cable I use could have any relation to this. The ones I have are nothing special - just typical EBAY purchases. I've never bought into the idea that you need a super expensive cable but maybe I'm wrong about that. The 58" Samsung I replaced is broken (thats why I bought the Panny) so there's no way to say is any of my described problem existed on that TV. For sure I didnt have the same expectation and pay as close attention, so that picture could have been less than perfect also. But as much as people rave about Panasonics, I just cant believe that what I'm seeing is normal.

Appreciate any and all feedback.

I have Direct TV and my S60 looks great on most channels. Some are not as good, but that is due to compression artifacts which are a by product of cramming too many channels on a specific transponder. I also have Netflix, which I receive through Cablevision, a Netflix Open Connect partner, and most of the Super HD streams look spectacular. I can say the same about most Blu-Ray movies. Have you checked the picture quality from other sources? Also, make sure your set is set up properly. I prefer the Cinema mode since it is calibrated closest to ATSC specification. Try using CNETS settings which are published with their S60 review (You may want to do some tweaking after break-in).

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Please post all your picture settings. Your settings probably need adjustment (i.e. certain things turned off or zeroed out).
post #4 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I have Direct TV and my S60 looks great on most channels. Some are not as good, but that is due to compression artifacts which are a by product of cramming too many channels on a specific transponder. I also have Netflix, which I receive through Cablevision, a Netflix Open Connect partner, and most of the Super HD streams look spectacular. I can say the same about most Blu-Ray movies. Have you checked the picture quality from other sources? Also, make sure your set is set up properly. I prefer the Cinema mode since it is calibrated closest to ATSC specification. Try using CNETS settings which are published with their S60 review (You may want to do some tweaking after break-in).

Ian

I did a google image search on "compression artifacts" and that looks like what I'm seeing. Based on the rest of your comment, its sounding like there is no solution?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Please post all your picture settings. Your settings probably need adjustment (i.e. certain things turned off or zeroed out).

post #6 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did a google image search on "compression artifacts" and that looks like what I'm seeing. Based on the rest of your comment, its sounding like there is no solution?

Sounds like a Dish Network issue. Have you tried a Blu-Ray disc?

Quote:

I assume you are using the default settings? Make sure your Vivid color, CATS, MPEG/Video NR filters,1080 pixel direct, HDMI content type (in advanced picture settings), are all off. You may also want to consider reducing the sharpness. Start at 0 and then gradually increase if necessary if it seems too soft.

Ian

post #7 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Turn sharpness to zero and turn video NR and MPEG NR to off. Make sure in the setup menu in EcoSavings that power saving set to 'Standard'. Also make sure AGC and 'black extention' in Prosettings are also zero. Gamma should be set at 2.4.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Turn sharpness to zero and turn video NR and MPEG NR to off. Make sure in the setup menu in EcoSavings that power saving set to 'Standard'. Also make sure AGC and 'black extention' in Prosettings are also zero. Gamma should be set at 2.4.

I believe I mentioned sharpness (which he claims isn't crisp enough) and defeating all the NR settings. Are we having a Jersey Shore advice competition? biggrin.gif As far as the pro settings, I can only assume based on what he displayed that he probably is using the factory defaults. The gamma is probably at 2.2 reference, which is what I use, based on CNETS recommendation. Lighting conditions, differences in individual panels and taste my require a change, but I doubt it has anything to do with the issues he is currently experiencing. That being said, to avoid any redundancy and confusion here, if you go by my original recommendation and check CNET's settings, every one that should be defeated or required is mentioned, and they are all calibrated close enough to eliminate any chance of your sets adjustments from creating the problems you are having.. http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-591233/panasonic-tc-p50s60-picture-settings/ (Don't be concerned at this point with the white balance and color detail menus)

Ian

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page