TCP65ZT60 question... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 01-02-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just purchased the 65" ZT60. It's my first plasma and my first widescreen. I'm still tweaking it but I have some concerns. For the present my satellite feed is SD and it looks awful on this panel. Is there any way I can make it look less fuzzy? We are planning to switch to an HD feed next month but surely SD shouldn't look this bad? I'm connecting the composite cables direct from the receiver to the TV at the present. Would using the s-video output help in this case? I have an active converter (s video to component) I could use.

Another issue is aspect ratios on a widescreen panel. They seem to change on me all the time. So much so that after a while I start to wonder if it is displaying the correct AR or not. Is there a way to guarantee the AR will come through at the proper setting regardless of the source? What are the settings I need to monitor on my TV and attached devices such as my Oppo BDP-93 to ensure things play properly? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I would buy a $10 antenna, and watch Over The Air HD. Or watch blu-rays. Then there is Netflicks, Apple TV, ChromeCast. I wouldn't watch SD.

post #3 of 41 Old 01-03-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to reply XBR11. We are planning on getting an HD antenna.

Any thoughts on the AR issue? I am going to check my settings again tonight on my equipment.

post #4 of 41 Old 01-04-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 331
SD what' that tongue.gif;)

Once I moved up to HD I avoid SD and anything that has been stretched to fit HD. I do not even let my Dish receiver show me the SD channels. As others have said, Netflix, Chromecast, Hulu Plus can keep you HD happy and of course native BDs.

LG 65C7P
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #5 of 41 Old 01-04-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

I think I am going to contact Panasonic tech and see if they have any advice. The AR being all over the place all of the time is driving me up the wall. Also, I still watch a lot of SD content (DVDs and the like) and even after upconverting when it is on a screen this size it is painful to watch or try to watch. I never dreamt it would be like this. Maybe there is something out there that can be done but I am on the cusp of returning the unit. My former display may have been only 480p but at least it wasn't so particular.
post #6 of 41 Old 01-04-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SD, especially from Cable, looks horrible on a huge TV like this. I went from a 43" real projection to 65VT30 last year. The SD channels all look terrible. Well mastered DVD can look pretty good.
post #7 of 41 Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Yup, if this is your first widescreen, Merchant, it also makes me wonder from what size you upgraded. Imperfections in SD are magnified well beyond whatever your, I presume, much smaller CRT showed. You will be dissatisfied with any flat screen in this size variety when it comes to standard definition. An antiquated composite connection is not helping matters either (on broadcasts). It wouldn't hurt to try the S-video to component converter but don't expect miracles given the source. Your BDP-93 player should always default to the AR of the source, and this will vary depending on the content. The more variety of content you watch, the more variability you will see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio
post #8 of 41 Old 01-04-2014, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

First things first, do NOT return your TV!!! You've got the best tv money can buy.  Soon it won't matter how much money you have because you won't be able to purchase anything as good from a big box store.  Here' the thing, sd content is going to look Iike crap! Its not your TV. Your TV is a powerhouse. SD content was never meant to be displayed across 1080 lines over 60 inches. Your TVs processor is going to take that crummy compressed signal, pull out ever piece of compressed artifacts possible, ad blow it up so big your eyes can see it. They all do it. I remember reading somewhere that sd over satellite is worse because they only have so much bandwidth. When they started having to broadcast HD they needed more room for both signals and so took the SD content and compressed the crap out of it so the HD content could fit.  I have yet to see one TV that displays SD content well.  Also, not sure if you're watching DVD over hdmi but if you're not, then do. I'll re-read your post to double check how you have it configured but DVD content should look just fine on your TV.  as for AR, have you messed with the format button on your remote?  there are a lot of options, i'd read the manual to find out about each. And just incase you're worried that all your old favorite movies will look like crap on your TV don't worry. Old movies shot in film are as pure as you get. They take those old movies and can scan them to pull 1080 lines of definition out but really they could go higher.  Blue rays of old movies look amazing and will be true HD on your TV.

richierich93 likes this.
post #9 of 41 Old 01-04-2014, 09:58 PM

Another thing I wanted to mention is that it's common to see AR change while watching TV.  You may watch something 4:3 and then a commercial comes on and the signal fills the whole screen so obviously AR changes.  Just wait for your HD programming and pick up an antenna In the mean time. I'm pretty sure I wont be jumping Al over the place. You're dealing with that satellite SD signal. Seriously holdd off on returning the TV.  you'll get this all sorted out eventually and I promise you wont be happier with anything else.

post #10 of 41 Old 01-05-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I'm still sticking it out!

I'm getting ready to fool around with some cable changes now. I would have done it last night but my gallbladder had me sidelined. I'm not expecting miracles but we will see and I'll report back.
post #11 of 41 Old 01-05-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

@janix when you say my DVDs should look fine are you talking about SD DVDs or Blu-Rays? I am watching everything over HDMI cable and although the SD DVDs do look better than my SD satellite feed they still look pretty rough to me.

I did try some different cable configurations with the satellite feed just to see if anything could be done. The S-Video only slightly improved the PQ so I just left things the way they were.
post #12 of 41 Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 PM

DVD as in DVDs....Blu-ray is not (or, at least, should not be) synonymously used with DVD.
post #13 of 41 Old 01-05-2014, 09:53 PM

Hi Merchantord, I was referring to DVDs, as in not Blue-Ray. I personally think they look fine but I don't watch many of them. Blue-Rays look much better. I prefer high resolution.  I think DVDs look fine because there's pretty much zero noise. I might try turning Video NR and motion smoother off. That way you're turning image processing on the TV off.  I may also swap out DVD players. Having done this recently I discovered my Samsung Blu-ray player modifies the signal out of the box for a "better image" which made it really difficult to nail brightness and contrast.  Who knows, maybe the upscaling on you player Is making the image look worse by processing the image poorly.  I hope you get it all sorted out or someone has better advice for you. best of luck!     

post #14 of 41 Old 01-06-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

I've got an Oppo BDP-93 which is no slouch at upscaling. Of course it could have been the mastering on that one DVD I was using as a test. Regardless it would be a stretch to call any SD DVD acceptable viewing. It seems all I have been doing is trying to get this tv to display SD images in a viewable fashion. I understand that SD will never look as good as HD but I never thought they would be nearly unwatchable or look so bad on an HDTV.

Couple that with the fact that after switching wires and cables around last night I've apparently managed to introduce a ground fault hum which I will have to try and diagnose when I get home tonight, I can truly say I have yet to get a moment's pleasure out of owning this tv--just one thing after another.
post #15 of 41 Old 01-06-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Want to laugh at a crappy master DVD, find the original Higlander movie on DVD, was god awful master. A bootleg videotape shot in movie theater looked better.

LG 65C7P
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #16 of 41 Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

I hear you about the Highlander disc!

It wasn't a ground fault hum after all but rather a problem with that accursed Direct TV feed (I think). At least there is no hum right now.

I did try to connect some speakers to the Digital Audio Out port on the television but when I go to enable the port in the Sound menu there is no option for it. It isn't greyed out or anything it just isn't there. Is that because the speakers aren't 5.1? Or is it because the input selected is the SD satellite receiver?
post #17 of 41 Old 01-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Who is your satellite provider?

My directv box has the option to select certain resolutions only so it doesn't switch back and forth
post #18 of 41 Old 01-08-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Try taking and posting some photos of your tv showing a DVD movie, preferably something common. Also tell us what settings you are using. Like when you set it up did you select Store or Home? What picture mode are you using? STANDARD is pretty bad. At the very least, select THX CINEMA. Did you get an antenna yet? For the AR problem with SD, you might want to select AR that fills the screen. I forget what it is called.

post #19 of 41 Old 01-09-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

Try taking and posting some photos of your tv showing a DVD movie, preferably something common. Also tell us what settings you are using. Like when you set it up did you select Store or Home? What picture mode are you using? STANDARD is pretty bad. At the very least, select THX CINEMA. Did you get an antenna yet? For the AR problem with SD, you might want to select AR that fills the screen. I forget what it is called.

I will try posting something when I can. No antenna yet; haven't been home long enough.

I've tried several different Picture settings and even entered the Katzmeier settings on a custom mode. I'll post my current settings when I get back home.

For now let me ask this:

For SD playback--
With the Oppo-BDP-93 connected directly to the tv--
What settings should I enter on the Oppo BDP-93? Should I output over HDMI or component?
What settings should I enter on the ZT60? Which component should I let do the upscaling? Maybe I have too many "links" working in the chain is what I am thinking. IF the Oppo chipset isn't the best for SD upconversion I am not opposed to adding a player specifically for SD conversion purpose.
post #20 of 41 Old 01-09-2014, 04:45 PM

Best is subjective. The Oppo is quite good, as the QDEO chipset it uses is no slouch. HDMI is preferred for the sharpest image, though I could see where this might result in the accentuation of some compression artifacts. I would let the Oppo do the upscaling as opposed to the ZT60.
post #21 of 41 Old 01-09-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have my ZT60's manual in front of me at the moment. How do I keep it from doing the upscaling?
post #22 of 41 Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 PM

By having the Oppo upscale, that should be all that's required. I'll have to scour through the settings myself to confirm that's all it takes, but that is off the top of my head.
post #23 of 41 Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Once you get your new Directv HD boxes it will get better, you'll then have the option of choosing resolutions and need fewer HD channels.
Once you set the Oppo to send only 1080 signal the tv won't do anything, it will just accept it since there's nothing to do.

My first DVD on a big screen HDTV was Godzilla- I wanted to cry. Older DVDs, with their low resolution, look really bad no matter what.

post #24 of 41 Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Plan on fooling with some settings and stuff this weekend.

@ sheshechic not planning on getting an HD box from DTV or anyone else going HD OTA.
post #25 of 41 Old 01-11-2014, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

How do I check the total number of hours on my tv? I thought I had this information but can't find it.
post #26 of 41 Old 01-11-2014, 09:15 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchantord View Post

How do I check the total number of hours on my tv? I thought I had this information but can't find it.

See post #1 in the Official S60 thread.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo 2-Tuner Premiere, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #27 of 41 Old 01-12-2014, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Randy!
post #28 of 41 Old 01-13-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Not so much a problem as a general question, I purchased the ZT60 almost two weeks ago. It has less than a 100 hours on it but they are accumulating. I'd like to gather some opinions on how essential the 100 to 200 hour break-in period is on this tv? Is it still necessary on the current plasmas? So far I'm just watching varied content with nothing letterboxed or 4:3 with the image zoomed. I'll be glad when I can get way from this believe me! When will it be safe to watch some letterboxed and 4:3 content on my television without having to worry about image retention? Lastly, how long is "too long" where the subject of image retention is concerned? Does it become less of a factor as the panel ages?
post #29 of 41 Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17

In terms of breaking in a PDP, is it necessary? No. Is it recommended by thousands of PDP owners, yes. I own a 50" Panasonic ST60 (110% jealous of your 65" ZT60) and breaking in your TV does make a difference. I can only commend your decision to have full screen content on your TV compared to my own decisions, but I'll talk about that later. I personally recommend running break-in slides for as long as you possibly can, whenever you're not watching something (or even overnight a few times). Do this until you hit the 100hrs mark. I say 100, instead of 100+whatever you currently have on it, since you've been watching fullscreen content for the majority of your viewing time. All breaking in a PDP does is age the whole plasma display panel evenly across the whole screen. I did not personally run the break-in slides for the initial 100 hrs because I bought my TV as an open item with 80hrs on it. Luckily, Best Buy had full screen content commercials running on it the whole time they had it, So, I only ran the slide for maybe 30 hrs or so. All I can say is that the picture quality (particularly, colors and black levels) greatly improved. I say "improved" but I guess the correct word is "matured" because all they did was age evenly across the whole screen. Once I hit the 120hrs mark, I started watching a whole lot of everything and a good portion of that was 4:3 content. Bad decision....

I had about 150 hrs on my TV when I noticed 4:3 burn-in from SD cable content (and probably from the first 4 seasons of It's Always Sunny). From what I've read once you get to 300hrs, which is also the point when you can get the TV professionally calibrated, burn-in stops being an issue (or at least becomes less of an issue). However, remember that your plasma tv does age! So, if the whole screen is being used, the whole screen will age together. Another thing is that the initial break-in period of a TV is the most delicate part of owning the aging process.

janix likes this.
post #30 of 41 Old 01-13-2014, 06:13 PM

Liked: 19
A good TV will make SD look worse. Basically, you're seeing the shortcomings of SD more accurately. You get HD next month. There's your answer. This thread is just wasting people's time.

"So, if the whole screen is being used, the whole screen will age together."

Sorry, but when the screen is just showing black it's being used. It's not as if only the parts of the screen that are showing something moving are turned on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page