Which 60" display to get (LCD vs Plasma)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently looking to buy a new 60" for my living room. I will be watching this in the day time and at night. Natural light does come in the room in the day, but the room is very dim at night. I went to a specialty TV store yesterday to look at TV's and asked one of the guys about plasma. I told him i read that the picture quality on plasmas were superior to LCD. He said it depends on the person's viewing preference and environment, but 8 out of 10 times, a person will go with LCD, because of the brightness factor and probably because part of that 20%, the 10% doesn't know what they're talking about. He tried to sell me on the sony xbr65hx950. I don't think this even comes in a 60" version. Anyways, what is everyone's thoughts about the best 60" display for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdnxxx444 View Post

I am currently looking to buy a new 60" for my living room. I will be watching this in the day time and at night. Natural light does come in the room in the day, but the room is very dim at night. I went to a specialty TV store yesterday to look at TV's and asked one of the guys about plasma. I told him i read that the picture quality on plasmas were superior to LCD. He said it depends on the person's viewing preference and environment, but 8 out of 10 times, a person will go with LCD, because of the brightness factor and probably because part of that 20%, the 10% doesn't know what they're talking about. He tried to sell me on the sony xbr65hx950. I don't think this even comes in a 60" version. Anyways, what is everyone's thoughts about the best 60" display for me?

You're asking this question on a plasma forum, so for the most part the definitive answer will be plasma as the best choice. If your room isn't overly bright, you may want to consider a plasma like the ST or VT series which have AR filters, but make your decision soon, they're not being manufactured any more and have been going fast.

Ian
Cuda1169 likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 5 Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
What do you think about the ZT series? I want to get the biggest bang for the buck, will the ST be fine for me?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdnxxx444 View Post

What do you think about the ZT series? I want to get the biggest bang for the buck, will the ST be fine for me?

The ST is a fine panel but the ZT is arguably the best panel you can buy. I have last year’s 60ST50 and it is a great panel. Even my calibrator was very impressed post calibration. CNET gave this year’s ST60 its highest rating. This is a long way of saying the ZT is the better panel and the ST is represents the best value option.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

The ST is a fine panel but the ZT is arguably the best panel you can buy. I have last year’s 60ST50 and it is a great panel. Even my calibrator was very impressed post calibration. CNET gave this year’s ST60 its highest rating. This is a long way of saying the ZT is the better panel and the ST is represents the best value option.

ST is a great value, at this point though I notice that the price diff between the ST and VT has shrunk a bit. So the VT is a good option bridging the gap btwn the ST and ZT. Doesn't have the lag issues of the ST and includes isf calibration modes. If the difference for the same screen size was around 500 I'd probably go with the cheaper ST but if the price diff is only 2-300 bucks, then I'd probably go with the VT.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page