Samsung vs Panasonic : Which is the best plasma for everyday viewing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-07-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a 2008 Panasonic plasma and a 2013 Samsung plasma. Despite the Samsung being the cheapest plasma I could buy at Walmart, it strongly outperforms the Panasonic when displaying Direct TV HD content. I was actually shocked, since I have been a big Panasonic fan all these years. Comparing the 2 sets on the same feed with same box/cables, the Panasonic looked dirty and pretty pixelated during movement. The Samsung showed none of this, displaying smooth, clean images during movement. In scenes with large areas of one color, the Panasonic showed noticeable compression artifacts and noise while the Samsung displayed that same area very cleanly.

I know that over the last 5 years there have been advances in panel tech. But I came across posts for the new ST60 that say the same thing about the Panasonic image being grainy and not very clean over HD cable. I plan on getting another newer set to be used mostly for watching Direct TV. Is Samsung the better panel for this purpose? What is your experience?
Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-07-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Many times it is likely the source, imo. I own a ST50 and use fios. Some channels look better than others. Fox News can look grainy but CNN and HBO are crystal clear and look almost as good as my bdp. I also own a 2007 Samsung LCD and it still shows some grain on the same channels but the picture is unnatural looking and not as rich or bright as my Panny. In my view, my ST50 seems to display the source material as it is instead of artificially cleaning it up. Likely the ST60 is doing the same, showing the source material flaws and all. When moving from a smaller CRT or LCD this might be disconcerting. For me, this is not a problem and I really enjoy the panel.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. The source was the same for both TV's. Same box, same cable, same channel, same show.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Some sets handle marginal video sources better than others. Samsung is one of those.
Toshiba way back in the birth of HD had the sharpest picture by far, which killed them for normal TV watching because they looked horrible with analog cable and satellite.
Always best to know what you will be watching mostly and buy the tv that does the best with that signal.

buytme
post #5 of 11 Old 01-08-2014, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Cable compression,noise,blocking.At what point is it the cable company's responsibility too improve picture quality and what point the tv?
post #6 of 11 Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

Cable compression,noise,blocking.At what point is it the cable company's responsibility too improve picture quality and what point the tv?
Aren't cable companies going to improve their picture with 4K video? lol
post #7 of 11 Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

This is a cop-out response. One clearly does better than the other according to OP, and you are saying that it's the cable companies' fault for not providing a clearer signal? They call that a red-herring. If the Samsung is better in this instance, then it's better. Period.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Better? According to whom? "Red Hering" is an incorrect term. "Statistical Anomaly" is more appropriate. If one person comes to you and declares the height of fashion to be running shoes with a black tux for your next formal affair, I wouldn't waste my time going over the new Nike catalog.

Tony
post #9 of 11 Old 01-08-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I find the ZT60s HD cable picture outstanding, but I also find the F8500's HD very ver good. For SD channels I like the Samsung a bit more, actually. But this is less of a PQ reason and more of a practicality reason, because I love that you can set the F (and I presume all Samsung plasmas) to auto zoom based on the content type. So for my brother, who watches a lot of SD content just out of the laziness on occasion of not finding the proper HD channel on his cable feed, I solved his problem by forcing FULL on zoom on all SD channels so he won't get black bar burn in over time. Can't do this at all with the Panasonics.

The other advantage to the Samsung for day to day watching is IR resistance to the station logos in the corners and news and sports channels. If there's a channel or two that you watch a lot the Pannys will develop IR in those areas, even though they have better PQ in my opinion. Samsung is more resistant to this. Everyone here knows by now I'm a huge fan of the Panasonics and the ZT in particular even though most people don't see the point of the upgrade over the VT. But even still, the Samsung would be my simplest and most honest overall answer to your question based on personal experience with an F4500, VT60, ZT60 and F8500 and their associated behaviors.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-09-2014, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I heard 20 years ago cable companies were one of the highest money making businesses around.The prices have gone up a lot in recent years for cabletv.They do provide an outstanding product,but continually raising the prices and continually degrading picture quality is not good. Did not mean too change topic.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-12-2014, 08:51 AM

Liked: 12
I just got a 50" Panasonic X60B and whilst it looks great with even 480P x264 TV rips played with XBMC on my Raspberry Pi outputting at 720P, I've noticed a fair bit of pixellation on some Freview HD channels using the internal tuner. It seems particularly an issue with the BBC HD channels, which the TV reports are running at 1080i/50hz, so maybe the other HD channels where it just says "DVB" are broadcast at 720P and that doesn't cause this.

More of an issue is that when watching BBC One HD there was awful lag/blurring when people were moving about or the camera was panning, which made it basically unwatchable. Again maybe there's an issue with this TV and 1080i/50hz broadcasts, which is why it doesn't appear to be an issue with the other HD channels. It's rather annoying if so, as it means I can't watch the BBC HD channels and I'll have to download the 720P versions of anything I want to watch from iPlayer instead.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P50st50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page