AVS Forum banner

Pioneer 8G 9G Kuro Reset Guide

323K views 3K replies 170 participants last post by  Dirtgarry 
#1 ·
Warning: Do this reset at your own risk!
I take no responsibility to what happends to your tv!

it worked for me and many other Kuro users and should work for others with the similar aging problems (red tinted poor blacks)

Note: if your Kuro have replaced parts such as the Digital Assy board you can get into trouble after the reset!

you must be sure that the new Assy Board have the data from the panels sensor backup.

if your Kuro only has original parts and nothing is replaced you should be safe.

Purpose of a Reset:

To get rid of the Red Tinted blacks and to get back the real Kuro Blacklevel.

i Bought my first LX5090 Kuro 2 months ago and the blacklevel was really bad at 0.0145fL

and it also had the red tint to it.

Now after the reset and some other tweaks the blacklevel is unmeasurable with a Xrite i1 Display Pro colormeter.

that means that the blacklevel is now under 0.00058fL

the ANSI contrast ratio is three to four times as high as it was before the reset.

What you need:

Get controlcal and activate it after registration
www.controlcal.com

you must register for the "Kuro Tv Special Profile" to be able to get into the service menu

Another Solution is to use KuroControl
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1240606/kurocontrol-program-for-pioneer-krp500m-600m-and-elites

(This guides workflow is from using controlcal but the commands for the reset is the same.)

Also you must get a "straight" rs232 serial cable (not a null modem cable)

and probably a usb to rs232 adapter (more info on the controlcal forums)

Adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RS-232-Serial-Converter-TU-S9/dp/B0007T27H8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389882111&sr=8-1&keywords=straight+rs232+serial+cable

Serial Cable:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-10-Feet-Straight-Through-Serial/dp/B000A7NROO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389886710&sr=8-2&keywords=straight+rs232+serial+cable

Pioneer 8G 9G Kuro Reset Guide

(8Gs will look different in the Servicemenu

this is from a 9G Kuro)

1: Start controlcal and Tick AUTO SEND and untick ERROR DIALOGS

2: Open the kuro tv special profile and press SM ON

3: Quit controlcal

you should now see an error on the tv screen but you are still in the service menu

4: Start controlcal again

5: Untick HEX input

6: Now you can start to send the reset commands.

You need to look at the tv when you have sent a command to see that the command is showing up on the tv.

you should get one error from these when you send it.

i cant remember which now.

write down the one/ones that gets an Error.

7: Write these commands one by one and hit Enter (on your keyboard) after each one.

CHM

CHR

CNG

CMT

CPC

CPD

CPM

CSD

8: Check that every command is sent (no error) except maybe for CHR.

9: When done open the kuro tv special profile again and press SM OFF.

10: Press Power OFF.

11: Unplug the power cable from the kuro for about 5 min.

12: Reset Done!
IF voltage adjustments is needed after the reset here is the way to get to the voltages in the service menu

i dont know how your service menu is build compared to mine LX5090 but you need to navigate to PANEL FACTORY (+)

here is my path to get there

Press Mute twice on the remote until it says PANEL FACTORY (+)

Press ENTER

Press Page down 4 times until it says PANEL -1 ADJ (+)

Press ENTER

SM ON

Press Mute here

1st Press Mute

2nd Press Mute

Press ENTER here

and you will get to this screen

Press Page down here

1st Page down

power-on time and current/max temp

2nd Page down

History of the last 8 Power Downs

(this list was full after i had adjusted the voltage regulators so one more reset was needed to clean it up
)

3rd Page down

History of the last 8 Shut Downs

4th Page down

Press Enter here to get into the Voltages

inside PANEL -1 ADJ (+)

VOL SUS first voltage setting in the list

To change the setting of the current voltage use left or right arrow keys on the remote

Down arrow to get to the next voltage

Adjustments to some voltages after the reset may be needed if you experience artifacts in the picture or if you want to lower MLL even more.

the ones that should be adjusted inside the adjustment ranges from the servicemanual is these.

VOL SUS

YKNOFS1D

YKNOFS3D

YKNOFS4 D

Adjustment Ranges for the European LX5090 non "H":

Adjustment Ranges for the KRP 500m:

YKNOFS3D and YKNOFS4D must be adjusted at the same amount/distance between them up or down inside the adjustment range.

lower both will lower the blacks.

(to get out from PANEL -1 ADJ (+) hold ENTER on the remote)

When you are done with the Voltage Tweaks DO ANOTHER RESET and then leave the voltages!

/Cred to Stu03 for the workflow for the Reset.

/ Cred to wxman for testing and tips

Test: How Black is your Kuro? To get even lower blacks after the reset you dont need any expencive colormeter to measure them,just use your eyes for this test.

(Note: The 111 Elites will not go as low as the KRPs or the LX5090)

you need to put up a 5% white window to see the glow/light at the black parts of the screen.

you will not see it with a 10% window.

your eyes are far more sensitive to light in a complete dark room

you will see even the slightest glow if you wait long enough

so thats why this is perfect

everyone can do it

download the MP4 testpatterns from AVSHD709
http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

put up the 5% white window (found in \MP4-2c\ChromaPure Windows\5% Grayscale)

use a complete dark room

you can not have any light at all except for the 5% window.

wait for a few minutes so your eyes get used to the dark

what you see now at the black parts of the screen is probably a low uneven glow with some blotches.

put up the service menu and Lower YKNOFS3D and YKNOFS4D (same amount) some

do the test again.

when you only see the 5% window and nothing more you are done.

if you lower YKNOFS3D and YKNOFS4D to much you will get artifacts/black rain in the picture.

Note:

To compensate for the lower black level(details near black) when lowering YKNOFS3D and YKNOFS4D

you can raise the brightness setting from 0 to +1

if you now go back you can still see that you have those great blacks with with 5% window but you will have a much better black level if you watch the "black clipping" MP4 file.

flashing up to the "20" point.

or you can just leave the brightness setting at 0 default

what happends is that you will get a higher gamma around IRE 10 (10% black)

most of the time a higher gamma near black looks better even if you lose some details.

just try and see what looks best.

if you still see a glow with low APL scenes in a pitch dark room its probably because you have a white wall reflecting light from the wall to the display.

Solution: paint the wall black

The Only downside with these lower Blacks is that you will see some "black rain" as seen in the picture

but thats only when you entering the menu or if you change aspect ratio from 2.35:1 to 16:9

it will not appear with regular viewing.

After the reset you should calibrate the tv with the ISFccc profiles to get the most out of your Kuro.

every Kuro should have a flat gamma curve at 2.3

with the ISFccc profiles and 9 point IRE settings you can have it.

For a complete guide to what i have done with the kuro check here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1507182/guide-how-to-get-the-best-out-of-your-pioneer-9g-kuro#post_24107748

Examples of the lower blacks and the 40000:1 ansi contrast ratio i got after the reset.

See less See more
#1,077 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby497  /t/1510500/pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide/1050#post_24471101

Ok, I'll play with the settings and post the results. Is there anyway to exit service menu on kurocontrol without turning the tv off and on every time? I can't use the remote to exit.

Issue facs00 to disable the service menu overlay

Then issue fan to exit service menu

Reactions: tubby497
#1,080 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby497  /t/1510500/pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide/1050#post_24471460

I've lowered the S4 from 149 to 129. The picture looks the same as before, no dirty effects.

Then I would keep the factory separation. Totally different ballgame with reset displays.

Reactions: tubby497
#1,081 ·
My KRP-500A (European model) stock numbers. No red tint, no reset. Hours 3.600

VOL SUS: 128

VOL OFFSET: 113

VOL RST P: 001

VOL XPOFS1: 085

VOL XPOFS2: 063

VOL YKNOFS1: 120

VOL YKNOFS3: 110

VOL YKNOFS4: 131

VOL YKNOFSA: 128

#1,082 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbalo  /t/1510500/pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide/1080#post_24471667

My KRP-500A (European model) stock numbers. No red tint, no reset. Hours 3.600

VOL SUS: 128

VOL OFFSET: 113

VOL RST P: 001

VOL XPOFS1: 085

VOL XPOFS2: 063

VOL YKNOFS1: 120

VOL YKNOFS3: 110

VOL YKNOFS4: 131

VOL YKNOFSA: 128

Your rstp, s1, s3 and s4 numbers seem low for being stock.

#1,088 ·
So I finally had a bit of time to check my hours. My 500M is at around 118 hours since last reset. I thought about adjusting the voltages a bit and even tested a couple of changes. I decided to put them back and wait out another couple of hundred hours. My only real issue is the black rain effect.

#1,089 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro  /t/1510500/pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide/1080#post_24474962

So I finally had a bit of time to check my hours. My 500M is at around 118 hours since last reset. I thought about adjusting the voltages a bit and even tested a couple of changes. I decided to put them back and wait out another couple of hundred hours. My only real issue is the black rain effect.

Black rain is still there after 118 hours? Has it gotten any better? It would be interesting to know the hour count when the black rain goes away. By some accounts, its around the 180 to 200 area.

Did you reset with default voltage values?

#1,090 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81  /t/1510500/pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide/1080#post_24474976

Black rain is still there after 118 hours? Has it gotten any better? It would be interesting to know the hour count when the black rain goes away. By some accounts, its around the 180 to 200 area.

Did you reset with default voltage values?

Yeah it's still there but but my eye better than early on in the reset.

#1,093 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro  /t/1510500/pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide/1080#post_24474962

Did you reset with default voltages? Are your voltages at default right now?

#1,094 ·
I have some interesting news.

I was able to reach pg_ice's and qwknuf6's level. No glow at 5% white window and the blacks match the bezel!

Stock values

VOL RST P: 003

VOL YKNOFS1 D: 138

VOL YKNOFS3 D: 128

VOL YKNOFS4 D: 149

New values

VOL RSTP: same

VOL YKNOFS1 D: 60

VOL YKNOFS3 D: 50

VOL YKNOFS4 D: 71

The only issue I have is the black rain. It appears only when I'm switching content.

#1,095 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby497  /t/1510500/pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide/1080#post_24475621

I was able to reach pg_ice's and qwknuf6's level. No glow at 5% white window and the blacks match the bezel!

Stock values

New values

The only issue I have is the black rain. It appears only when I'm switching content.

Wow. Thats way below factory range.

#1,097 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby497  /t/1510500/pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide/1080#post_24475621

Stock values

New values

While not ZERO black on a blank screen , it is Zero black with even the smallest dim content on the screen .

I have done a lot viewing with test patters and real video content , I cannot see black crush , on the WOW test disc I can see the 2 % black star clearly on both the D-Nice settings and my lowered S1 S3 and S4 settings , 1% star is harder to see with my settings so there is a difference.

I did see black rain when watching Catching Fire . That movie changes screen ratio after 1 hour , from 2.35 ratio to to 1.85 ratio .

So what do I do ? Keep my display set to D-Nice settings with .0002 MLL and a reference PQ display or use my out of spec setting with MUCH lower black levels?

#1,098 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby497  /t/1510500/pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide/1080#post_24475750

Yeah, I raised the numbers back to near stock levels.

Black levels are back to normal and it's not impressive anymore... lol

That no glow blacks surprised me! I miss it already...

Its your panel. I wouldnt go below minimim though.

#1,099 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwknuf6  /t/1510500/pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide/1080#post_24475765

While not ZERO black on a blank screen , it is Zero black with even the smallest dim content on the screen .

I have done a lot viewing with test patters and real video content , I cannot see black crush , on the WOW test disc I can see the 2 % black star clearly on both the D-Nice settings and my lowered S1 S3 and S4 settings , 1% star is harder to see with my settings so there is a difference.

I did see black rain when watching Catching Fire . That movie changes screen ratio after 1 hour , from 2.35 ratio to to 1.85 ratio .

So what do I do ? Keep my display set to D-Nice settings with .0002 MLL and a reference PQ display or use my out of spec setting with MUCH lower black levels?

I would just leave it at D-nice settings. What did you end up doing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81  /t/1510500/pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide/1080#post_24475767

Its your panel. I wouldnt go below minimim though.

I agree. I don't want to damage it.

#1,100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwknuf6  /t/1510500/pioneer-8g-9g-kuro-reset-guide/1080#post_24475765

How are blacks / black rain when you set s1, s3 and s4 to minimum and rstp to 1?

#1,101 ·
Guys if plasma could reach no glow it would be that way from the factory. If it was so easy to create low blacks why is the kuro still king of blacks? Can you drop the blacks to abyss. Yes! Will you have image issues Yes! Will it be reference absolutely Not! Why destroy detailed PQ for "fake" blacks?

IMO keep Dnice's setting or got to factory min if you have no artifacts. Then check your setting.