Pioneer 8G 9G Kuro Reset Guide - Page 61 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1801 of 1807 Unread Yesterday, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by all clear View Post
Raising VOLSUS isnt that great
lower YSUS_B and XSUS_B until a 100% white field is clean instead.
i have both of them at 124 (128 default)
VOLSUS is still at 128

you are quoting the new reset and evaluate method but you have just lowered the voltages.
do a test and set all voltages back to default and instead try the new reset method and see how it looks.
if it performs worse than you have now you can just roll back to were you are now.
YSUS and XSUS don't seem to do anything on my non-reset 141fd and 500M. I even set them both to their lower limit of 112 and no change.

VOL SUS on the other hand, worked to perfection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1807 Unread Yesterday, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Thanks for the advice on changing VOL SUS. During my testing it helped with misfires but I wouldn't have tried raising it that high without your advice. Picture is pretty stable now. I get a few misfires on the white portion of the AVS 709 main menu but nothing in content and the picture seems much more stable now (for lack of a better term). Full screen white still flickers a bit but I don't know if this just a Kuro thing....I never saw this TV when new. Red tint is pretty much gone and my iD3 can't measure the blacks. I left RSTP alone since lowering it gave me splotchy blacks.

My set is a 5020FD with roughly 10k hours (or 12k....I forget).

Factory:

VOL SUS: 128
VOL OFFSET: 140
VOL RST P: 012
VOL XPOFS1: 085
VOL XPOFS2: 047
VOL YKNOFS1 D: 143
VOL YKNOFS3 D: 128
VOL YKNOFS4 D: 172

VOL YKNOFSA D: 128

New Settings:

VOL SUS: 228
VOL OFFSET: 140
VOL RST P: 012
VOL XPOFS1: 085
VOL XPOFS2: 047
VOL YKNOFS1 D: 93
VOL YKNOFS3 D: 78

VOL YKNOFS4 D: 122
VOL YKNOFSA D: 128
I am assuming you did not reset?

Did you have any misfires with default voltages? If you didn't then keep in mind that for every 10 tick reduction of S1/S3/S4 (or SAD), you must increase SUS by 20 ticks to maintain misfire free picture (you may have to go 10 tick higher if you see remaining misfires).

If you do have misfires at default, increase SUS until they go away and then reduce S1/S3/S4 (or SAD) to your liking while increasing SUS by double the reduction amount.

Also, increasing SUS will affect your calibration, as the peak light output will increase and you will see blue push on grayscale. Both my Kuro's push toward blue when the calibration drifts due to age, so this may be an indication of SUS increase as the panel ages.
post #1803 of 1807 Unread Yesterday, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post
I am assuming you did not reset?

Did you have any misfires with default voltages? If you didn't then keep in mind that for every 10 tick reduction of S1/S3/S4 (or SAD), you must increase SUS by 20 ticks to maintain misfire free picture (you may have to go 10 tick higher if you see remaining misfires).

If you do have misfires at default, increase SUS until they go away and then reduce S1/S3/S4 (or SAD) to your liking while increasing SUS by double the reduction amount.

Also, increasing SUS will affect your calibration, as the peak light output will increase and you will see blue push on grayscale. Both my Kuro's push toward blue when the calibration drifts due to age, so this may be an indication of SUS increase as the panel ages.
I didn't reset. Only problem with default voltages was red tint. Currently I added 20 ticks to SUS for each ten ticks I took out of S1/S3/S4 (And I had to go way below the minimums listed in the manual). All other voltages are untouched. I don't know how to use the internal test patterns so I test with letterbox movies and AVS HD709. I still see a few misfires on the main menu of the AVS disc. Next time I boot it up I'll try to add a few more ticks so SUS while leaving the rest alone to see if I can remove the remaining misfires.

My grayscale didn't seem to change much with the increase in SUS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kuro before SUS increase.png
Views:	10
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	724090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kuro after SUS increase.png
Views:	11
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	724098  

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Fixed Frame (Never again!).
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
post #1804 of 1807 Unread Yesterday, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I didn't reset. Only problem with default voltages was red tint. Currently I added 20 ticks to SUS for each ten ticks I took out of S1/S3/S4 (And I had to go way below the minimums listed in the manual). All other voltages are untouched. I don't know how to use the internal test patterns so I test with letterbox movies and AVS HD709. I still see a few misfires on the main menu of the AVS disc. Next time I boot it up I'll try to add a few more ticks so SUS while leaving the rest alone to see if I can remove the remaining misfires.

My grayscale didn't seem to change much with the increase in SUS.
You're at 30 ticks below minimums, which explains the high SUS needed to clear magenta misfires. Was that the needed adjustment to get rid of all of your red tint?

You might want to test a 5% IRE full field. On some tweaked/reset 9th generation sets that I've seen (including my 141fd), the 5% IRE full field will be littered with dark purple pixels. These are different from the magenta misfires as these are static and don't go away until you put something else on the screen (like a 10% IRE full field). This may be the 9th generation equivalent of black rain, as I've never seen the black rain that is common on the 9.5's on the 9th gens. I saw these purple pixels while watching Interstellar. It was at around the 1:29:25 mark.

A 5% IRE full field looks clean on my 500M even when tweaked below minimums, so perhaps this is exclusive to 9th gen sets.

I will try to do some testing tonight to see if there's a way to remove these artifacts. I have a feeling increasing S1/S3/S4 will be the only way.
post #1805 of 1807 Unread Today, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I had to go that low to get rid of the red tint.

I increased SUS five more ticks and that seems to have eliminated the misfires.

On a full screen 5% IRE pattern I DO get some purple splotches. Mostly looks like a LED TV's uneven backlighting. Especially apparent at the bottom edge (where the red tint was the worst...may or may not be related). But I don't consider it to be a huge deal. Most of the slides below around 50% or so aren't perfectly uniform in any case.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Fixed Frame (Never again!).
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
post #1806 of 1807 Unread Today, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had to go that low to get rid of the red tint.

I increased SUS five more ticks and that seems to have eliminated the misfires.

On a full screen 5% IRE pattern I DO get some purple splotches. Mostly looks like a LED TV's uneven backlighting. Especially apparent at the bottom edge (where the red tint was the worst...may or may not be related). But I don't consider it to be a huge deal. Most of the slides below around 50% or so aren't perfectly uniform in any case.
So the 2 for 1 adjustment ratio is approximate It seems.

I wouldnt call what I see on my 141fd splotches or anything similar to LED backlight. These are full fledged purple pixels.

I will try ti take a picture tonight. Try that Interstellar scene. If you dont see any artifacts, then you have nothing to worry about.
post #1807 of 1807 Unread Today, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally got a chance to upload the Pioneer Kuro Summer 2008 demo. This is the one that contains material for testing black rain/lag.

Pioneer Kuro Summer 2008 Demo Download
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro 1150hd 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 1150hd by PriceGrabber.com