Panasonic plasma problem. Please help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have a 2007 Panasonic plasma TH-58PX600U. My problem is that every now and then the screen will go black(except for displaying "HDMI 1", the input in to top left corner). It only lasts a few seconds and happens when watching cable tv or a show recorded on the dvr. It is completely random and can happen every 30 seconds to a minute or only a few times a day. It does not happen every day. Sometimes it goes days or weeks before it happens again. Sometimes it will happen a few times and then stop on its own. I thought it might be the HDMI cable but it continued even after switching to a new one. Both were Monoprice cables. The only thing left is the tv or the cable box(Cablevision Scientific Atlanta 8300). Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and what I can do to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Sounds like some kind of hand-shaking issue with the cable-box. You can try another HDMI input, though this will really only tell you that the problem is universal, and won't really pinpoint the specific device having the issue. The best thing you can do is just call the cable company and have them send you a new box. The box belongs to them and unless you change the TYPE of box, they should not charge you anything for a swap out.

I mean, you could hook an Apple TV or something as well but you'd have to watch it for hours, days or weeks to see if it happens there as well.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You have the cable box plugged right into the tv correct? Have you tried unplugging the box and maybe the tv too(from the AC outlet)?
post #4 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

I guess trying another cable box is probably the easiest. I have a non dvr box on another tv that has never had this problem. If it is the tv, what could it be?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe swap the box which will also include a power cycle. On the tv side of things maybe the A board is failing which is the board that all the hdmi ports are located on.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

You have the cable box plugged right into the tv correct? Have you tried unplugging the box and maybe the tv too(from the AC outlet)?

I have both the tv and cable box plugged into a surge suppressor. When it happens every few minutes I usually unplug cable box and let it reboot. Usually it works but not always.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I did some tech support work for Cox at one time and we ran into this type of thing a lot. I forgot to ask you if you had another box in the house but that is definitely your first course of action. Just swap the boxes out and see what happens over a few days or a week or something. If the problem is resolved you need a new box.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Maybe swap the box which will also include a power cycle. On the tv side of things maybe the A board is failing which is the board that all the hdmi ports are located on.

I have a PS3 that goes into hdmi 2 input and have never had the problem while watching a movie or playing a video game.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

I did some tech support work for Cox at one time and we ran into this type of thing a lot. I forgot to ask you if you had another box in the house but that is definitely your first course of action. Just swap the boxes out and see what happens over a few days or a week or something. If the problem is resolved you need a new box.

Any suggestions if the new box doesn't resolve the problem? Obviously that would mean it is the tv.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post

I have both the tv and cable box plugged into a surge suppressor. When it happens every few minutes I usually unplug cable box and let it reboot. Usually it works but not always.

I agree that it's most likely a box problem. You aren't using a receiver and just have cable box to the hdmi cable then to the tv right?
post #11 of 11 Old 01-11-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree that it's most likely a box problem. You aren't using a receiver and just have cable box to the hdmi cable then to the tv right?

Yes.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page