Need advice on Panasonic ST60 burn-in/ir - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fizi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Finally managed to track down a 55" ST60 (excited) but it was a floor model (less excited).

Since my chances of finding a brand new one locally are slim to none I figured I'd take a chance on the floor model.

After getting it home and firing it up there was some pretty serious looking burn-in/ir. I was told by the sales rep it had only been on the floor two weeks and near as I can tell they left everyone on factory defaults (they didn't crank the brightness). It was also on display in their theatre room (dim lighting, surround sound setup, couches, etc).

I have 30 days to try and fix the burn-in/ir or I'm going to return it.

The question I pose to you all. Is it worth trying to fix the burn-in/ir? or because it was a floor model should I consider it a lost cause and just return it now?

I wasn't sure if photos of the TV would be useful or not. If they are let me know and I can post some.
fizi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizi View Post

Finally managed to track down a 55" ST60 (excited) but it was a floor model (less excited).

Since my chances of finding a brand new one locally are slim to none I figured I'd take a chance on the floor model.

After getting it home and firing it up there was some pretty serious looking burn-in/ir. I was told by the sales rep it had only been on the floor two weeks and near as I can tell they left everyone on factory defaults (they didn't crank the brightness). It was also on display in their theatre room (dim lighting, surround sound setup, couches, etc).

I have 30 days to try and fix the burn-in/ir or I'm going to return it.

The question I pose to you all. Is it worth trying to fix the burn-in/ir? or because it was a floor model should I consider it a lost cause and just return it now?

I wasn't sure if photos of the TV would be useful or not. If they are let me know and I can post some.

If you have 30 days, you could try a pixel flipper like the one found on the Disney WoW bluray disc. I would recommend running the pixel flipper for several days. If the IR begins to fade, it will likely disappear overtime by watching varied full screen content. If it does not fade, I would return the panel.

Good Luck
Cuda1169 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Newbie
 
romena54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would first call and report what you're seeing to the store just so they're aware of it, then try the pixel flipper or screen wipe that's in the service menu (not sure exactly where as I'm at work). Tell the store that you're seeing it and going to try to remedy, but will be returning if it doesn't work. I've heard that you might want to run the flipper/wiper for quite a while (few hours maybe) and that people have had good luck with Disney's pixel flipper.

This is just based on things I've read here, luckily I haven't had the issue myself. I just set up my 50ST60 yesterday, so hope this isn't a widespread issue (not terribly concerned though). Good luck, and please report back with what worked or didn't.
romena54 is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fizi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

If you have 30 days, you could try a pixel flipper like the one found on the Disney WoW bluray disc. I would recommend running the pixel flipper for several days. If the IR begins to fade, it will likely disappear overtime by watching varied full screen content. If it does not fade, I would return the panel.

Good Luck

Thank you. I've ordered the Disney WoW Disc and it's on it's way. I feel after running the wiper built into the TV the image has faded slightly but that might just be wishful thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romena54 View Post

I would first call and report what you're seeing to the store just so they're aware of it, then try the pixel flipper or screen wipe that's in the service menu (not sure exactly where as I'm at work). Tell the store that you're seeing it and going to try to remedy, but will be returning if it doesn't work. I've heard that you might want to run the flipper/wiper for quite a while (few hours maybe) and that people have had good luck with Disney's pixel flipper.

This is just based on things I've read here, luckily I haven't had the issue myself. I just set up my 50ST60 yesterday, so hope this isn't a widespread issue (not terribly concerned though). Good luck, and please report back with what worked or didn't.

Menu -> Picture -> Screen Settings -> Screen Wiper (I believe). I ran this for maybe 3x5minute intervals last night between testing out the TV with some Battlestar Galactica. The IR did seem to fade slightly but as I mentioned that might be just wishful thinking on my part.

I also read running a Pixar movie zoomed in can help. There are a few YouTube videos out there of patterns that supposedly help, this (http://randomtristan.blogspot.ca/2012/08/removing-image-retention-on-plasma.html) and one other DVD you can download/burn that plays multicoloured static.

I purchased the TV from Futureshop. I doubt calling them a head of time to let them know about the issue and potential return would serve a useful purpose. Maybe if I had bought from a small mom/pop store.
fizi is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizi View Post

Thank you. I've ordered the Disney WoW Disc and it's on it's way. I feel after running the wiper built into the TV the image has faded slightly but that might just be wishful thinking.
Menu -> Picture -> Screen Settings -> Screen Wiper (I believe). I ran this for maybe 3x5minute intervals last night between testing out the TV with some Battlestar Galactica. The IR did seem to fade slightly but as I mentioned that might be just wishful thinking on my part.

The Wow pixel flipper is great for my ST50. Give it time to work its magic as bad IR can take days or even weeks to fully dissipate. If I am gaming heavily I will run the pixel flipper overnight once a week, turning it on Sunday night and running through Monday night when I return home from work. The screen wipe on my panel does nothing except expose any IR that my panel may have.
Cuda1169 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fizi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

The Wow pixel flipper is great for my ST50. Give it time to work its magic as bad IR can take days or even weeks to fully dissipate. If I am gaming heavily I will run the pixel flipper overnight once a week, turning it on Sunday night and running through Monday night when I return home from work. The screen wipe on my panel does nothing except expose any IR that my panel may have.

Thanks for the info. That gives me hope that 2 weeks of show room IR might not be permanent and fixable. I really don't want to have to give up my ST60 because I'll probably never find another one and have to wait for affordable 4k OLED TVs smile.gif
fizi is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Playdrv4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Check the usage hours. That will tell you if it was *really* just "two weeks".
Playdrv4me is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Newbie
 
romena54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

Check the usage hours. That will tell you if it was *really* just "two weeks".

Where do you find that? I didn't know that was available.
romena54 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fizi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by romena54 View Post

Where do you find that? I didn't know that was available.

I had to look it up to: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1006
romena54 likes this.
fizi is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Newbie
 
romena54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizi View Post

I had to look it up to: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1006

De-cent! Thank you!
romena54 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Unread 01-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Member
 
richierich93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Definitely check the usage. Although keep in mind, if it was on display and it was for sale, chances are it was a return from somebody else (which means it saw at least a few days of use as well). If its somewhere close to 100 hours, I think that is fine since it is nearly impossible to find that tv anymore and you should be able to remove that amount of burn-in. In fact, I bought my 50" Panasonic ST60 a month ago as an open item from Best Buy with 80 hours. However, the Pixel Flipper on the Disney WOW disc is awesome and you should own it either way.

 

My advice, know when your return policy ends. Run the pixel flipper for as long as you can and if by the end you are not satisfied with the results of removing the burn-in, RETURN IT. Its better to take your chances with next year's midrange plasma from Samsung then keeping a used, burnt-in ST60 that's going to bug you for the rest of its lifecycle.

richierich93 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Unread 01-13-2014, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
fizi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you all for your advice but I found a great solution.

I went into London Drugs on a whim tonight and asked if they had any ST60's and got back "Yeah we had one returned after boxing day, lady didn't even open it. You're looking for a 60" right?"

So I bought the brand new 60" ST60 and will just return the burned in 55" to Futureshop tomorrow.

I am one lucky sonfagun.

I have a Disney WoW disc on order to.
richierich93 likes this.
fizi is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st60 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off