Panasonic ST60, VT60 or go with LCD for use as a computer monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking to upgrade my Samsung 7 Series 52" LCD (pre-LED) - it's the LN 52A7500 that is in my Den. I'm using it as a monitor in my current PC set up as a secondary extended monitor. When I watch TV on it, I use the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime. I currently have the Panny ST60 and thinking of getting a VT60. After doing some reading here, I'm beginning to have second thoughts of buying the 65VT60 to use as a monitor and thinking an LED LCD might be better?

Here are my concerns:
1. All the talk about IR and Burn in has me scared. I currently don't use a background on my computer so the screen is pure black when no window is open. I also have the standard windows 7 bar on a regular sized computer PC. But at times when I'm working on multiple projects I will leave a window open on the screen for about an hour. Would using a plasma as a computer pc not be a good idea? [I've asked this over in the IR thread.]

2. My den is well lit and I always have a bright light on as I do work from home at times, plus I typically keep bright lights on at night. Would that be a problem with the VT60 since it's supposedly a dim TV. Will the size and closeness compensate for the dimness - I'm sitting 6ft away for a 65"?

In my situation would I be better off with an LCD? If I'm ok with plasma, should I use the ST60 as the monitor or the VT60?

For people who have used their plasma as a pc monitor, I'd like to hear about their results and experience doing so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 542
I don't think plasmas make good computer monitors, just my opinion. IR is a concern. You are going to have a really hard time finding an ST60.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the response. I actually already have the ST60 in the family room and thinking about getting the VT60 - have one on order - but having second thoughts on going through with the VT60 since it will be used as a monitor. Because IR/Burn In is a real concern, especially if it will be sitting as a black background, really at what point or how long will it take burn in to occur?

I like the image quality, and motion handling of plasmas. Really looking for a reason to get one of the best tvs, before they are gone but in the back of my mind now - I'm wondering if I should just skip such a good deal/last chance opportunity for a plasma in favor of an LCD.

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv