using separate amp - AVS Forum
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > using separate amp
Captbill's Avatar Captbill 01:01 AM 01-27-2014
I have a Yamaha rxv2800 connected to my Panasonic monitor..Looking at a Panasonic TCP65ZT60, can I use my Yamaha unit? Bill

Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 12:38 PM 01-27-2014
Yes, but...

The TV supports 3D. The receiver does not. If you want to watch a 3D movie in 3D you'll need to either
1) get a 3D Blu-ray disc player which has two HDMI outputs (one for video to the TV, the other for audio to the receiver)
2) replace the receiver with one which does support 3D

If you are not interested in watching any 3D movies, then everything will work just fine.
Captbill's Avatar Captbill 10:10 PM 01-27-2014
Selden Ball, Thanks for the reply, and I do have a Blu-Ray, so you really have helped me, Ha..Instead of going nuts trying to hookup 3D..I have no interest in 3d,but grand children :eek:probably will....Love my old Yamaha, does well with my speakers...Bill
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 11:09 PM 01-27-2014
You're very welcome.

The TV might include a mode with can simulate 3D from 2D video.
Providing real 3D is going to be somewhat expensive, both for the discs and for the player and/or receiver:

The least expenwive 3D Blu-ray players with 2 HDMI outputs can be had for about $150-$250, depending on sale discounts. (Panasonic DMP-BDT500 or Sony BDP-S790). The least expensive 3D Blu-ray players with 1 HDMI output cost about $80 (Sony BDP-S5100). Other companies make them, but Sony and Panasonic players seem to be the most reliable. (More expensive, quality 2 output models are available from Oppo, starting at about $500.)

Even the least expensive of the current Yamaha receivers (RX-V373) supports 3D. It lists for about $300 but probably can be bought for about $200. Of course, their higher-grade models include it, too, so you can spend as much more as you want wink.gif
RandyWalters's Avatar RandyWalters 07:04 PM 01-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captbill View Post

I have a Yamaha rxv2800 connected to my Panasonic monitor..Looking at a Panasonic TCP65ZT60, can I use my Yamaha unit? Bill

That's kinda vague - what kind of connections are you asking about? Are you routing video through your AVR and then to the TV? Or are you connecting just Audio (like analog RCA or Optical/Toslink)?

Does your Yamaha have Optical/Toslink inputs? Does it have HDMI inputs? (can't find the specs for an RXV2800).

It should work regardless, but without knowing any specifics about your setup or sources nor how they're all connected we can't tell if there are any potential problems with using it.

Care to expand? wink.gif
Bgwolff's Avatar Bgwolff 05:58 PM 01-29-2014

I have a similar problem. My Parasound amp only has RCA and XLR inputs.  It doesn't look like I will be able to connect it to my ST60 without some type of DAC.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

RandyWalters's Avatar RandyWalters 09:30 PM 01-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgwolff View Post

I have a similar problem. My Parasound amp only has RCA and XLR inputs.  It doesn't look like I will be able to connect it to my ST60 without some type of DAC.  Any ideas? Thanks!

See this discussion:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/10800#post_24146893
Bgwolff's Avatar Bgwolff 09:58 AM 01-30-2014

Thanks for the info, Randy!  It would sure be great if I can get this to work for so little money.

Captbill's Avatar Captbill 10:39 PM 01-31-2014
:eek:Oops, I have an RX-V2600 Yamaha, it does have an optical link, so shouldn't be a problem I hope...Bill
Tags: Panasonic Dmp Bdt500 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Up
Mobile  Desktop