post #271 of 471 Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe75xp View Post

The problem is from the screen. It might be hard to see in on screen images but if you look in the blacks of the crop bars you can definitely see color change. Also keep in mind that Cinema Smooth does fix the issue regardless of the glasses.

About DSE, I don't seem to have any issues with dirty screen on my 51. Unlike most guys here being interested in black levels I'm more interested in accurate bright whites and haven't noticed any banding or problems on panning from any sources.

ok, just reporting what I've heard. I actually don't see brightness pops on mine and never have, but I've heard a few of the guys that complained about it say they didn't notice it when they removed their glasses. I have not read of a successful replacement though, just speculation that other glasses MAY help.

do you have BO on? because that's a separate issue apparently. you can see subtle changes in black levels in 2d when the BO is on. it's just how that feature works. supposedly there is a change in brightness(not just blacks) in 3D only still. that was the issue reportedly connected to the glasses. I've never seen this, though, so I don't know for sure. but some ppl have reported both issues and consider them separate problems, not the same thing.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 471 Old 05-03-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by hove131 View Post

Tonight while watching an NBA game.... My screen dimmed really dark.... But my eco settings are all off? Any ideas?

Has this issue remained or was it something with the broadcast or station?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #273 of 471 Old 05-03-2014, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

do you have BO on? because that's a separate issue apparently. you can see subtle changes in black levels in 2d when the BO is on. it's just how that feature works. supposedly there is a change in brightness(not just blacks) in 3D only still. that was the issue reportedly connected to the glasses. I've never seen this, though, so I don't know for sure. but some ppl have reported both issues and consider them separate problems, not the same thing.

BO is shaded out and not selectable on my setting for 3D. By pointing out that you can see the shift in color in the crop bars was just so you could notice it easier without the glasses. The "brightness pop" in 3D is a known issue that every model of the F8500 suffers and separate from any problems with BO. I also upgraded to the 3Active glasses that other guys have posted about and can assure you its not related to the glasses.

If you have truly never seen this problem I would suggest checking out Oz The Great and Powerful or The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, both almost unwatchable without using Cinema Smooth.. especially the beginning of OZ being in B/W  :p 

post #274 of 471 Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegee26 View Post

Hi Baltik....

I have the same exact issue and I believe it is a "handshake" issue and it is ticking me off.

I also have an Onkyo receiver and have the STB plugged into the receiver and then the receiver to the TV.  Same exact way I have done it for years.

To go to Wxman's response.  I have tried all sorts of ways to turn on the order of the equipment and the best way it works is to quickly turn on in order: receiver, STB and then TV.  If there is too big of a pause in the order you turn them on.....then I get the dreaded HMDI No Input message.  I then have to shut everything down and then unplug the HDMI from the TV and then plug it immediately back in and then turn everything back on again and all is happy.

But what a PITA and it is definitely (IMO) related to a "handshaking" issue with TV.  It is not an HDMI cable issue, not an HDMI port issue and not a receiver issue.  And if you call Onkyo they are going to blame the TV and if you call Samsung they are going to blame the receiver, etc, etc, etc.

There needs to be an answer to this fix and it is a Samsung issue imho.

Can ANYONE please offer some insight to this issue.  Me and Baltik can't be the "only ones"

BTW: I do not have to do a factory reset to correct this....I simply have to power everything down, then reset the HDMI cable on the back of the TV and then power back up to correct.  Have to do it about once every few days.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated........many thanks in advance!

I just tested your turn off, unplug, replug method and it works as promised... I no longer need to perform a factory reset, much appreciated!
post #275 of 471 Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I discovered a few more annoying bugs...

After the newer firmware was installed (in my case, it is actually 1120.2) a couple other bugs came up:

1)  During blu-ray playback, I kept getting a Samsung screensaver pop up every 15 minutes or so.  I just kept pressing a button on the remote to get rid of it.  After the movie was over, I went through the menu options and saw something under the "SmartApp" settings... stating something to the effect of "If the content on the screen doesn't change", etc.  So... before the TV could detect motion on screen but all of a sudden now it can't!  I I turned OFF the screensaver option.  Which is the only way to watch movies now (because who wants to keep pressing a button every 15 minutes).  But now there is a safeguard I once had that is now gone.

2)  During DVD playback (and this also happened with the previous firmware), periodically I see an INFO banner across the top... the black banner you initially see when starting something up.  The upper-left tells you the HDMI port you are using and right next to it is the resolution and frame rate.  Both times when I would watch a DVD, this silly banner would pop up for absolutely NO reason.  It happened at least 3 or 4 times.  Any thoughts on this one?

3)  Finally... I am starting to get online notifications on the top of my TV now.  Currently I'm getting some kind of service related message.  For the life of me, I cannot seem to disable it!  I believe it's related to the "Notifications" area under the "SmartApps".  This usually happens within 5 minutes of first turning on the TV.  So here's how it goes...  I turn on the TV.  Pop in a Blu-Ray or DVD (let's say DVD).  During viewing of the DVD I get this lovely scrolling notification about service not being available on 5/8/2014.  I can go to the actual notification and read the same thing as a webpage.  I click the remote to remove the scrolling banner.  Next, during the middle of a movie I'm getting the black INFO banner across the top at random parts of the movie (not just during a direction change) to let me know which HDMI port I'm using and the resolution & frame rate is playing (NICE!!!!  THANK YOU!).  A few minutes later the SAME info bar keeps coming up.  So I pop out the DVD and start playing a Blu-Ray.  And no matter what setting I use, it's "stutter city".

===

Sometimes the stuttering is hard to see, but I have started making some changes on the Oppo's settings.  I have discovered that it *MIGHT* be helpful to disable deep color.  From my understanding, Blu-Ray content doesn't really have deep color anyway.  The 30-bit & 36-bit options might only serve to eat up more bandwidth on the HDMI line than actually improving any picture quality.

Next, I had the resolution of my player set to "Auto-Detect".  I was still getting stutters (even with the removal of the deep color option). Another AVS member recommended I try using "Source DIrect".  I believe what this means is that the player doesn't do any video processing, and now it's all done on the TV.  Personally, I think it may actually work out better if the Blu-Ray player did all the processing and the TV did not.  But whatever... I will give it a try.

From the brief testing I have done thus far, it DOES appear I may have seen some improvement with this.  With both DEEP COLOR set to "OFF" and with Output Video Resolution set to "SOURCE DIRECT", it appears I am seeing a lot less stuttering.  I tested the first 15 minutes of Gravity, and with my original settings I would see maybe 4 or 5 stutters.  With the new settings I'm seeing maybe 1 or 2 stutters.  It could very well be just a fluke, but I am trying other things to rectify this.

Level 1, and Level 2 tech support on Samsung could not help with the stuttering.  A Samsung licensed technician came by... saw the stutter... and said there was "nothing he could do".

Isn't it crazy that I can get a $500 Vizio LCD TV that does NOT have any of these issues.  But a $3k Samsung plasma is buggier than hell.

I hate to say it, but as much as I adore the picture quality of this puppy I'm feeling tempted to exchange it in for a Sony LED unit.  I would rather have okay-decent blacks that are not as "pitch black" as a Plasma but has a freaking BUG-FREE PICTURE than to have a "superior picture" that stutters and is glitchy as hell.  Even the flashlighting of LCD's is a MUCH SMALLER ISSUE than stuttering jerks, unwelcome notification flags, and random info black info bars... when you have your home theater setup and are trying to watch a movie.

post #276 of 471 Old 05-05-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post

I just tested your turn off, unplug, replug method and it works as promised... I no longer need to perform a factory reset, much appreciated!

Glad it worked.....mine is happening less frequently, so I hope I do not have to perform these steps too often.

post #277 of 471 Old 05-05-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post

I discovered a few more annoying bugs...

After the newer firmware was installed (in my case, it is actually 1120.2) a couple other bugs came up:

1)  During blu-ray playback, I kept getting a Samsung screensaver pop up every 15 minutes or so.  I just kept pressing a button on the remote to get rid of it.  After the movie was over, I went through the menu options and saw something under the "SmartApp" settings... stating something to the effect of "If the content on the screen doesn't change", etc.  So... before the TV could detect motion on screen but all of a sudden now it can't!  I I turned OFF the screensaver option.  Which is the only way to watch movies now (because who wants to keep pressing a button every 15 minutes).  But now there is a safeguard I once had that is now gone.

2)  During DVD playback (and this also happened with the previous firmware), periodically I see an INFO banner across the top... the black banner you initially see when starting something up.  The upper-left tells you the HDMI port you are using and right next to it is the resolution and frame rate.  Both times when I would watch a DVD, this silly banner would pop up for absolutely NO reason.  It happened at least 3 or 4 times.  Any thoughts on this one?

3)  Finally... I am starting to get online notifications on the top of my TV now.  Currently I'm getting some kind of service related message.  For the life of me, I cannot seem to disable it!  I believe it's related to the "Notifications" area under the "SmartApps".  This usually happens within 5 minutes of first turning on the TV.  So here's how it goes...  I turn on the TV.  Pop in a Blu-Ray or DVD (let's say DVD).  During viewing of the DVD I get this lovely scrolling notification about service not being available on 5/8/2014.  I can go to the actual notification and read the same thing as a webpage.  I click the remote to remove the scrolling banner.  Next, during the middle of a movie I'm getting the black INFO banner across the top at random parts of the movie (not just during a direction change) to let me know which HDMI port I'm using and the resolution & frame rate is playing (NICE!!!!  THANK YOU!).  A few minutes later the SAME info bar keeps coming up.  So I pop out the DVD and start playing a Blu-Ray.  And no matter what setting I use, it's "stutter city".

===

Sometimes the stuttering is hard to see, but I have started making some changes on the Oppo's settings.  I have discovered that it *MIGHT* be helpful to disable deep color.  From my understanding, Blu-Ray content doesn't really have deep color anyway.  The 30-bit & 36-bit options might only serve to eat up more bandwidth on the HDMI line than actually improving any picture quality.

Next, I had the resolution of my player set to "Auto-Detect".  I was still getting stutters (even with the removal of the deep color option). Another AVS member recommended I try using "Source DIrect".  I believe what this means is that the player doesn't do any video processing, and now it's all done on the TV.  Personally, I think it may actually work out better if the Blu-Ray player did all the processing and the TV did not.  But whatever... I will give it a try.

From the brief testing I have done thus far, it DOES appear I may have seen some improvement with this.  With both DEEP COLOR set to "OFF" and with Output Video Resolution set to "SOURCE DIRECT", it appears I am seeing a lot less stuttering.  I tested the first 15 minutes of Gravity, and with my original settings I would see maybe 4 or 5 stutters.  With the new settings I'm seeing maybe 1 or 2 stutters.  It could very well be just a fluke, but I am trying other things to rectify this.

Level 1, and Level 2 tech support on Samsung could not help with the stuttering.  A Samsung licensed technician came by... saw the stutter... and said there was "nothing he could do".

Isn't it crazy that I can get a $500 Vizio LCD TV that does NOT have any of these issues.  But a $3k Samsung plasma is buggier than hell.

I hate to say it, but as much as I adore the picture quality of this puppy I'm feeling tempted to exchange it in for a Sony LED unit.  I would rather have okay-decent blacks that are not as "pitch black" as a Plasma but has a freaking BUG-FREE PICTURE than to have a "superior picture" that stutters and is glitchy as hell.  Even the flashlighting of LCD's is a MUCH SMALLER ISSUE than stuttering jerks, unwelcome notification flags, and random info black info bars... when you have your home theater setup and are trying to watch a movie.

Let's start with number 3, the annoying messages. Go into the menu on your tv, smart menu, notifications and select delete all. Next turn off tv, uplug for about a minute and plug back in. That will get rid of the Samsung screensaver. You can also go into menu on tv, system, burn in protection and turn off Auto Protection Time. You really only need Auto Protection Time if you leave a static image on screen for a long time. Has nothing to do with pixel shift. I turned mine off, and also cleared notifications and unplugged tv. Have not seen the screen saver since. However, that message about the service related item will occasional keep scrolling until May 8th. I solved that by disconnecting tv from internet. I know for most, that is not feasible, but since I don't use smart apps, I only connect my tv to internet for FW updates. No alerts, no banners if not connected to internet.

I also get those HDMI banners at the beginning of a movie too. The first time it pops on is when I switch to that port, and then it will do it during the previews. It does it during previews at times, but never during the actual movie.

As far as stuttering, I solved mine by going with Source Direct on my OPPO. I also have deep color off too. It does nothing. Also replaced my 4 year old HDMI cables with newer ones.
post #278 of 471 Old 05-06-2014, 01:26 AM

Have you thought of possibly changing the 1080P @ 24Hz to off (so that it's 60Hz with the 3:2 pulldown)?

post #279 of 471 Old 05-06-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 210
eye in the sky

Your stuttering has to do with a couple of your setting.

Check the owners thread.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #280 of 471 Old 05-06-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you thought of possibly changing the 1080P @ 24Hz to off (so that it's 60Hz with the 3:2 pulldown)?

I dont have stuttering with my OPPO set to 1080P24 and Source Direct.
post #281 of 471 Old 05-07-2014, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think all the f8500 models have the faint horizontal band. Some models have it less visible and some more visible...We cant do anything...It doesnt bother me though...

EU 64F8500 with 1118 firmware (latest)
post #282 of 471 Old 05-07-2014, 06:06 AM

I have no banding and I'm sure I can't be alone. Even if it was less visible on my set I've watched enough content from varies sources that I would have noticed it by now.

post #283 of 471 Old 05-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I have no banding and I'm sure I can't be alone. Even if it was less visible on my set I've watched enough content from varies sources that I would have noticed it by now.

You are not alone...

post #284 of 471 Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I do not see any banding either. I have used the slides to try and see them to no avail.
post #285 of 471 Old 05-07-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I do not see any banding either. I have used the slides to try and see them to no avail.

From my experience, the banding is very mild, and can only be noticed when watching sports featuring large uniform fields (soccer and hockey). Even then, it is only noticeable when there is a fast camera pan from one side of the field to the other. In either case, it is not noticeable enough to be a distraction.
post #286 of 471 Old 05-07-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When you say banding are you referring to AR filter being visible? If so ...I could find it on all of your sets...guarantee it almost lol
post #287 of 471 Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BO is shaded out and not selectable on my setting for 3D. By pointing out that you can see the shift in color in the crop bars was just so you could notice it easier without the glasses. The "brightness pop" in 3D is a known issue that every model of the F8500 suffers and separate from any problems with BO. I also upgraded to the 3Active glasses that other guys have posted about and can assure you its not related to the glasses.

If you have truly never seen this problem I would suggest checking out Oz The Great and Powerful or The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, both almost unwatchable without using Cinema Smooth.. especially the beginning of OZ being in B/W  tongue.gif  

yeah, I know it's a separate issue. I was asking because if it's the BO issue, that's fixable. if it's the 3D brightness pops, then currently that doesn't seem to be. I didn't know the 3D brightness pops was a change in black level, I thought it was actually a change in brightness. as I said, I haven't seen it so I don't really know. I'd just hate for you to have to deal with something that bothered you, if turning off BO was the solution.

the only 3D I've watched has been through my HTPC, so cinema smooth has never been available. I'm sure there's plenty of other differences, and honestly, I felt the 3D performance on mine was so unwatchable at the best of times, I never really even cared about the issue other than to check when it was first mentioned. apparently the opening scenes of prometheus showed them. I tried, and couldn't see anything. anyway, my point of mentioning that I haven't seen it wasn't to say it's not there, but that I wouldn't be able to personally check if it's the glasses or not because I can't see it anyway.

in all honesty, 3d is less important to me than having batteries come with the remote. so it's not something I'm really concerned with. if you've checked it out with and without glasses and it's still there, then that's that I guess.

post #288 of 471 Old 05-07-2014, 06:44 PM

For your HTPC set your graphics refresh rate to 24 Hertz and you will be able to select Cinema Smooth

post #289 of 471 Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 AM

Has any one ever had a problem with connecting a new source on HDMI and not had the picture come on? I just received a new STB upgrade and nothing is showing from HDMI. We had no option but to connect with component cables to get a picture. Ive unplugged everything, reset everything, tried different jacks and cables, tried almost everything I can think of and still can't get anything from HDMI.

:mad:

*Never mind, the POS cable box had a bad hdmi port..* 

post #290 of 471 Old 05-17-2014, 12:02 AM

STUTTERING PROBLEM MAY BE SOLVED (finally)...

For those who are curious, I would like to share the steps I took to fix the stutter issue.  So far I have tested 3 different blu-rays (20-30 minutes of viewing) and one complete blu-ray movie (2 hrs) with zero stutters.  Using an Oppo BDP-83, the main things I had to set to correct mine are:

- Take off the 1080p 24Hz option.

- Set the output resolution to Auto (or 1080p).

- Setting it to "Source Direct" allows the TV to still grab the moving images at 24Hz (which can cause problems).

- Deep color can be either on or off (doesn't matter, so I leave mine on).

I initially played with the Source Direct for a while.  I do think this is the 2nd best setting, because with this option I now have Cinema Smooth available to me - which GREATLY improves the judder effect.  But I would still not only get the replicating fade-out / fade-in stutters, there would also still be a SMALL HANDFUL (maybe 2 or 3 throughout an entire movie) of random stutters.

With the settings I select above, I now have ZERO stutters... period.  I guess I would rather deal with the "normal" artifact of judder during pans than a near judder-free picture with weird dropped frame stuttering picture glitches.  I suppose it's possible that Samsung may come out with a firmware upgrade down-the-road that fixes this issue.  And when that happens, I will surely be a happy camper but until then I'm very satisfied with how things are running now.  I don't perceive any picture quality difference forcing the display rate at 60Hz instead of 24Hz.  I would still like to run maybe 2 more movies (in their entirety) before I set this word in stone but so far I'm having a 100% success rate (FINALLY)!

Thanks to everyone for their patience and their kind efforts in trying to help.  Hopefully my findings may be of use to others who experience similar problems.

post #291 of 471 Old 05-17-2014, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86

EyeInSky,

Appreciate this.

I don't want to say this prematurely, so take it with a grain of salt...

I believe I have done that previously and still have stuttering problems.

However, give me till the end of the day or even till the end of tomorrow to confirm.

These stuttering problems are annoying and I know it's not a defect in the display but a bug of how the display handles the output.

Thanks for providing this information.

post #292 of 471 Old 05-17-2014, 12:51 AM

Feel free to give those settings a try, Ronald.

I sympathize with your frustrations!!!  Truly, I *DO*.

If you are still seeing it, I can post or PM you the complete listing of settings in case it's a combination.

I've also found that sometimes "toying" with the settings and making a change isn't quite enough.  Powering the TV off & on again did have an impact on the amount of stutter (back during the tests when I was running 24Hz with or without CS).  There may be a slight chance you tried changing to these settings (without powering off the TV) and saw some stutters and moved on to something else.

post #293 of 471 Old 05-17-2014, 07:01 AM

Cinema Smooth is only available with 24Hz so I don't understand how you have it enabled with 60Hz source?!?

post #294 of 471 Old 05-17-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Feel free to give those settings a try, Ronald.

I sympathize with your frustrations!!!  Truly, I *DO*.

If you are still seeing it, I can post or PM you the complete listing of settings in case it's a combination.

I've also found that sometimes "toying" with the settings and making a change isn't quite enough.  Powering the TV off & on again did have an impact on the amount of stutter (back during the tests when I was running 24Hz with or without CS).  There may be a slight chance you tried changing to these settings (without powering off the TV) and saw some stutters and moved on to something else.

Busy weekend ahead so it may take until tomorrow for me to try it....

...but I am going to be watching some Blu-ray and will certainly test those settings.

post #295 of 471 Old 05-17-2014, 08:16 AM

When you choose "Source Direct"...

The TV takes the signal, and even if the Blu-Ray player's 1080p @ 24Hz is "off", the TV still shows it as 1920 x 1080 @ 24p (which means Film Mode options are available to activate Cinema Smooth).

If you set to Auto or 1080p (not source direct), the TV shows the signal as 1920 x 1080 @ 60p, and the Film Mode options are ghosted / grayed out - making CS not available any more.

post #296 of 471 Old 05-17-2014, 08:20 AM

I firmly believe this TV has a bug when processing 1080p content at 24Hz... regardless if Cinema Smooth is active or not.

When CS is active, you have random bugs + replicating ones.

When CS is not active, you still have the random bugs.

So far, I've had success having no stutters forcing the TV to display blu-rays at 60Hz.  RIght now I have not seen any disadvantage to this, but I suppose I am watching a 3:2 pull-down.  But even if that's the case, my brain can detect stutters a lot easier than the 3:2 pulldown.

post #297 of 471 Old 05-17-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you choose "Source Direct"...

The TV takes the signal, and even if the Blu-Ray player's 1080p @ 24Hz is "off", the TV still shows it as 1920 x 1080 @ 24p (which means Film Mode options are available to activate Cinema Smooth).

If you set to Auto or 1080p (not source direct), the TV shows the signal as 1920 x 1080 @ 60p, and the Film Mode options are ghosted / grayed out - making CS not available any more.

Yes, That's exactly what happens. OPPO and other, should grey out all the other settings when you select source direct, but they dont.

When you set your player to source direct, it will send the blu ray material unprocessed to your tv. So even though you turn off 1080p @ 24hz on the player, it is still going to send it to your tv as 1080p@24. Source Direct trumps all the other settings you have in your blu ray player. It litterally ignores all the other settings. Whatever the movie was filmed in, 1080p24, 1080p60, etc, is exactly what will be sent to tv with source direct turned on.
post #298 of 471 Old 05-17-2014, 11:50 AM

The bottom line is that regardless if the blu-ray processes the picture at 24fps or the TV processes the picture at 24fps the TV (at least on my set) will show random drop-out stutters... a minimum of 3-4 per movie.  Possibly more depending on the other settings.

By forcing the blu-ray to play at 60fps (by turning 1080p @ 24Hz OFF) the TV doesn't have a stuttering dropped frame problem displaying that signal.

I wish I knew why this Samsung has such a problem with 24 fps.  Others have mentioned weird things about how Cinema Smooth creates 96fps even though the signal is really 23.96 fps.  But that's complete nonsense to me because it still stutters even with CS set to off.  It's also strange that the audio is 100% in-tact during the stutters.  It's like the TV literally holds on to a picture frame twice, and skips over the next to display the one after (even though the audio is continuous frame-by-frame).  It's definitely a weird bug.

post #299 of 471 Old 05-17-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

so I'm just going to add my recent experience, and you guys can take from it what you will. maybe it'll help, maybe it's nothing.

bought my f8500 last april, went through every update and was paying attention to everybody complaining of brightness pops, and shifting blacks and all that. on 4:3 content I was SOMETIMES able to see blacks change in the side bars, and only when BO was on. I've played around with many settings, and done basic calibrations, but never anything in depth.

about a month ago, around the time fw 1120 came out(I can't remember if it was before or after, but I THINK after) I decided to plug in some calibration settings from the calibration thread and see how they looked. the only reason for doing this was that I'd been using warm1 and felt it was a touch blue, but warm2 looks horrendously yellow without adjustment. so I plugged in some settings, using the warm2 but with a lot of changes in the 10pt CMS, overall I was pleased with the result, and I've kept those settings.

the only other significant change I made was turning eco mode to low, and cell light to 20. it was previous set to off, and cell light at 10. anything more was far too bright for comfortable viewing.

ok, but here's where things get weird, I'm now noticing fluctuating blacks, often. I went out of my way to TRY and see these several times over the past year and never really did. it was always just a hint of it in the letterbox bars. this looks like full on dynamic contrast behaviour now. what I'm wondering is if there's any reason this issue could be linked to calibration. is it possible contrast settings affect this, or that warm2 is worse than warm1 somehow. I've tried all the things that make sense, I tried turned eco off, I've tried turning the cell back down to 10, I've tried BO off, none of it seems to change what I'm seeing. I'm getting really close to resetting my calibration and going back to the simple one I did before. even if the colors are a little blue, everything else looked great.

so if you made it through all that, and want to share my confusion, have at it. I'm not sure where to go from here. I have unfortunately made several changes(calibration, fw update, new video card) and it seems like the least likely, the calibration, is the only thing I have left to point the finger at... very bizarre imo.

but from what I can see, I don't have the changing black level watching my HTPC on the projector, and I do have it watching cable on the TV, so I'm pretty certain it's not the video card

post #300 of 471 Old 05-17-2014, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Fierce, is this all with regular cable tv or is it happening with blu ray content, too ?

edit: irregardless, I say factory reset and see if it goes back to normal and start over.

Samsung 60F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
2 PS3's
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page