Official Samsung PNxxF8500 "Bugs" Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 407 Old 05-17-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 817
all my HD stuff goes through the HTPC or cable box. the same stuff that looked fine before looks off now.

I'm still running through possibilities, as I have made a few changes recently. but like I said, the exact sources look fine on the projector, so either the plasma is REVEALING the problems, or it's causing them. I haven't had the chance to compare much between hdmi1 and hdmi2(I have both playing the same source, but one's 'calibrated' and the other was not since it was set to PC for gaming use), but I think that would be the best way to see if this has anything to do with settings

I mentioned it in the owner's thread, but I also just noticed today that the 'pc trick' no longer works. I thought something was off on my hdmi2 input that I have set up for gaming, and after messing around I realized the naming the input PC has no affect whatsoever anymore. this is unfortunate imo as PC mode was about 15ms faster than game mode when I did an input lag test. but i'll probably do that test again to see if there's been any improvement.

anyway, this is the first time a fw update has actually done something I've noticed, so I'm worried it may have changed something else too. fw 1120 btw, was the one that did this. I've done every update since I bought it, and I think that was around fw 1107 or something like that, been through a lot anyway, that's for sure.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 407 Old 05-18-2014, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post

STUTTERING PROBLEM MAY BE SOLVED (finally)...

For those who are curious, I would like to share the steps I took to fix the stutter issue.  So far I have tested 3 different blu-rays (20-30 minutes of viewing) and one complete blu-ray movie (2 hrs) with zero stutters.  Using an Oppo BDP-83, the main things I had to set to correct mine are:

- Take off the 1080p @ 24Hz option.

- Set the output resolution to Auto (or 1080p).

- Setting it to "Source Direct" allows the TV to still grab the moving images at 24Hz (which can cause problems).

- Deep color can be either on or off (doesn't matter, so I leave mine on).

I initially played with the Source Direct for a while.  I do think this is the 2nd best setting, because with this option I now have Cinema Smooth available to me - which GREATLY improves the judder effect.  But I would still not only get the replicating fade-out / fade-in stutters, there would also still be a SMALL HANDFUL (maybe 2 or 3 throughout an entire movie) of random stutters.

With the settings I select above, I now have ZERO stutters... period.  I guess I would rather deal with the "normal" artifact of judder during pans than a near judder-free picture with weird dropped frame stuttering picture glitches.  I suppose it's possible that Samsung may come out with a firmware upgrade down-the-road that fixes this issue.  And when that happens, I will surely be a happy camper but until then I'm very satisfied with how things are running now.  I don't perceive any picture quality difference forcing the display rate at 60Hz instead of 24Hz.  I would still like to run maybe 2 more movies (in their entirety) before I set this word in stone but so far I'm having a 100% success rate (FINALLY)!

Thanks to everyone for their patience and their kind efforts in trying to help.  Hopefully my findings may be of use to others who experience similar problems.

EyeInSky,

Wanted to get back to you as soon as I could about this....

It does appear that my stuttering problems are over as well.

The key is taking the Oppo player out of 1080p @24Hz.

I have the Oppo outputting 1080p.

I have been watching Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-ray and have been bothered by the stutters up until now.  They don't appear to be there anymore.

Greatly appreciate you putting this advice out there.

Such a shame that this magnificent display has all these little buggy issues that one needs to work out.  I think, finally, I'm working bug-free.

The only problem that this display is still occasionally plagued by is a totally pink screen on power-up.  Happens very seldom, but when it does, even wiggling the HDMI cable doesn't fix it.  I have even replaced the cable.  So, I am kind of thinking it's a display issue.

Otherwise, a magnificent display.

post #303 of 407 Old 05-18-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Ron,

That pink sounds like you're going through too many devices and somehow the hdmi handshake is missing the correct color format.

Sometimes firing everything up in a different sequence corrects the problem.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #304 of 407 Old 05-18-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Ron,

That pink sounds like you're going through too many devices and somehow the hdmi handshake is missing the correct color format.

Sometimes firing everything up in a different sequence corrects the problem.

That is a comforting explanation to the problem.

post #305 of 407 Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Hello Ronald,

I'm so happy for you!  I've now watched 3 movies in their entirety this way, and not a single stutter.  1080p is so important due to the size of this TV.  Anyone can easily see a quality difference between 1080p and 720p/1080i - so downgrading the resolution was never an option.

But yes, taking forcing the signal on both Blu-Ray player (by taking 1080p @ 24Hz off) and the TV (by switching from Source Direct to either Auto or 1080p) away from 24Hz was KEY to removing the stutter completely.

There are times that I greatly miss the Cinema Smooth option though.  There are times, during pans, that I can see a good amount of judder.  But the judder doesn't look as glitchy (bad) as the dropped frame stutter problem.  It is a shame there are so many buggy issues with this Samsung.  Otherwise, I fully agree it's a SPECTACULAR display!  I am not a fan of Samsung.  I have always been a Sony guy, but they don't make plasma.  When it comes time to replace this TV several years from now I imagine I will be first in line to purchase a Sony OLED.  But until then, I am *VERY* relieved to have finally discovered a fix to work around Samsung's annoying bugs - which, BTW, is totally inexcusable IMO for a $3k TV.

post #306 of 407 Old 05-18-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
 I am not a fan of Samsung.  I have always been a Sony guy, but they don't make plasma.  When it comes time to replace this TV several years from now I imagine I will be first in line to purchase a Sony OLED.

Agreed.  I am not a fan of Samsung either.

Everything they make is buggy.  I love their Note 3 phone, but it has its moments.

I swore years ago I would never, ever buy a Samsung display.

However, after being disappointed with the Panasonic ZT60, I was willing to take the chance.  This display outperforms the Panny, in my opinion.

post #307 of 407 Old 05-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using a Vizio sound bar with my PN60F8500. I have programmed the TVs "smart" remote to control the volume and mute of the sound bar and it works fine with one exception. It does not work when I use the Pandora app that came with the TV. I then have to use the sound bar remote. I do get audio, I just can't control the volume/mute unless I use the sound bar remote. To add to the puzzle (at least it is for me) when I use the Pandora app that came with my Samsung Blue Ray player I can once again control the sound bars volume/mute with the TVs "smart" remote. Anyone have an explanation? Why just this one app?
post #308 of 407 Old 05-20-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've got a strange problem I couldn't seem to find talked about anywhere (there's a lot of threads out there on this TV). I know and have experienced the 3D brightness pops (and they are fixed with CS on) but last night while fiddling with some settings I found a different brightness problem (I think only apparent with 3D mode on, although I need to test more yet). While watching the opening credits of the first Hobbit, I noticed that the black levels were drastically shifting and that when they would horizontal bands would shoot across the screen.

By adjusting the brightness control I was able to "fix" this. So I paused the screen with one of the bands on it and then started changing the brightness one notch at a time. at 49 the entire screen (including the black bars) would suddenly become very bright gray blacks and tons of dancing pixels appeared. Turning it down to 48 immediately caused the black bars to go black again, but the picture itself continued with the dancing pixels and greyish blacks. At 46 it snapped to black and most of the dancing pixels went away. At 44 there was no evidence of anything. This is right about where I had calibrated my brightness anyway (46 was it I believe) but this seems drastic and more than a little troublesome. Adjusting Cell Light and Contrast didn't have nearly as much impact on the problem.

post #309 of 407 Old 05-20-2014, 12:11 PM

Hi DPulp,

Just throwing a dart here... but is your TV set to 16x9 instead of "Screen Fit"?

It's important to set the TV to Screen Fit.  I noticed similar picture problems while viewing some of the calibration shots at 16x9.

post #310 of 407 Old 05-20-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes it is set to screen fit.

post #311 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Had my 1st stutter issue with my 60 the other night. My jaw dropped and then my heart stopped beating. During Night of the Creeps, the words "Pledge Week 1986" scroll up the screen. The words stuttered up my screen and I simply could not believe it. I replayed it over and over again and it keeps happening in the same spot, so it would seem its the movie.........but its not. Ive watched the movie over a hundred times on various televisions and this has never happened. I turned off BO but it still happens. Only when I turn off 24p on both blu ray players, does it play normal. My 51 did not have this issue, so im wondering WTF?
post #312 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
My 51 did not have this issue, so im wondering WTF?

WTF is right.

It's a bug.  We all have it.

You need to turn off 24p output on your Blu-ray players.  It will then be fixed.

post #313 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 10:57 AM

Dude... I feel your pain!  Chances are, though, the replicating stutter spot is a factor of Cinema Smooth.  But even if you disable CS you *will* get other random stutters.  As Ronald Epstein has said, the only fix that we know of is to turn off 24p on the Blu-Ray player and set the resolution output to 1080p (or auto).  Source Direct still allows the TV to still display at 24p.

I will also echo Ronald's feelings about the picture quality.  It may not be quite as dark as Panasonic's VT & ZT models but it's hand-over-fist BRIGHTER than any plasma available.  The result is deep rich blacks but with BRILLIANT whites (near LED level).  The end result is the best contrast television around (even better contrast than the VT & ZT because of the capable whites).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

Had my 1st stutter issue with my 60 the other night. My jaw dropped and then my heart stopped beating. During Night of the Creeps, the words "Pledge Week 1986" scroll up the screen. The words stuttered up my screen and I simply could not believe it. I replayed it over and over again and it keeps happening in the same spot, so it would seem its the movie.........but its not. Ive watched the movie over a hundred times on various televisions and this has never happened. I turned off BO but it still happens. Only when I turn off 24p on both blu ray players, does it play normal. My 51 did not have this issue, so im wondering WTF?
post #314 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
 It may not be quite as dark as Panasonic's VT & ZT models but it's hand-over-fist BRIGHTER than any plasma available. 

EyeInSky,

Explain that statement?  At first I thought you meant black levels and I was going to argue that point, but in the next breath you talked about the deep black levels.

Why would anyone want the picture as dark as the Panny models?  And trust me, the ZT is dark.

post #315 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 11:22 AM

To reply to both Eye and Ronald, I did have stutter issues with the 51 but alleviated them by turning off BO. I love them, but these tvs give me a headache sometimes.
post #316 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

EyeInSky,

Explain that statement?  At first I thought you meant black levels and I was going to argue that point, but in the next breath you talked about the deep black levels.

Why would anyone want the picture as dark as the Panny models?  And trust me, the ZT is dark.

Meaning...

The Panasonic ZT & VT models have a slightly better rated black level than the F8500.  But the F8500 has SUPERIOR whites - so much so that the contrast ratio on the F8500 is much higher/better than the Panasonic model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

To reply to both Eye and Ronald, I did have stutter issues with the 51 but alleviated them by turning of BO. I love them, but these tvs give me a headache sometimes.

I believe I tried turning off Black Optimizer on my set, but still had both random stutters and replicating (same exact spot) stutters.  The random stutters were reduced (maybe 1-3x per movie), but still there.  The replicating stutters would only be removed by removing the 24Hz option.  It's a ridiculous and inexcusable bug IMO.  Gotta "love" Samsung, right! :-)
post #317 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 11:43 AM

Not to sound like a broken record, but...

Taking off the 24Hz and forcing the blu-ray player to play at 60Hz was the only way to remove both the replicating stutters and the random ones.  My set is now completely stutter-free (yay), but I have lost the cinema smooth option.  Picture quality remains the same IMO.  I need to do more viewing to see if the 3:2 pulldown effect is noticeable or not.

post #318 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I will still take the occasional stutter, than the panning judder with 3:2 pulldown. I have never been able to stand that panning judder with 3:2 pulldown. It's unnatural.
post #319 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Panasonic ZT & VT models have a slightly better rated black level than the F8500

EyeInsky,

Gotcha!

However, some of us who have seen both models don't see a difference at all in black levels.  But that kind of thing shouldn't even be suggested here.  ;)

post #320 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Taking off the 24Hz and forcing the blu-ray player to play at 60Hz was the only way to remove both the replicating stutters and the random ones.  My set is now completely stutter-free (yay), but I have lost the cinema smooth option.  Picture quality remains the same IMO.  I need to do more viewing to see if the 3:2 pulldown effect is noticeable or not.

Yeah, I mean, I don't know much about this 24Hz vs. 60Hz thing.  Don't know a thing about 3:2 pulldown.

I'm a software guy.  Hardware specs are not my strong point...sorry.

All I can tell you is that since taking off 24Hz, I don't see any difference in my Blu-ray playback other than the fact that the damn stuttering is gone.

Is there any deterioration in picture quality I should be expecting by making the switch?  Any tests I should be doing?

post #321 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Yeah, I mean, I don't know much about this 24Hz vs. 60Hz thing.  Don't know a thing about 3:2 pulldown.

I'm a software guy.  Hardware specs are not my strong point...sorry.

All I can tell you is that since taking off 24Hz, I don't see any difference in my Blu-ray playback other than the fact that the damn stuttering is gone.

Is there any deterioration in picture quality I should be expecting by making the switch?  Any tests I should be doing?

You will only notice it more with panning scenes. You will still get some with 24hz on, but it will be more noticeable with it off. It's cadence judder. One way to tell is during the scrolling credits at end of movie. With 24hz on, the scrolling will look more smooth. Some people notice it more than others. So if 24hz off looks better, then that's what you should set your blu ray player to. There is no right or wrong answer. It's whatever is more appealing to you.
post #322 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 01:28 PM

I love my cinema smooth. Can't live without it. I took 24hz off that night when this was happening and I just cant deal. I love my butter smooth pans.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #323 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

I love my cinema smooth. Can't live without it. I took 24hz off that night when this was happening and I just cant deal. I love my butter smooth pans.

I do too Diana!!!!!  Cinema Smooth's panning is superb.  It also works great with end credits.  I don't see a difference with end credits at 24Hz vs. 60Hz, but definitely see a BIG difference with cinema smooth on.  Hence, the inner tug-of-war struggle of picking the lesser of the 2 evils.  For me, the judder (during pans) is environmental and can be "excused" (forgiven) due to the camera movement.  A stutter drop-out glitch is an odd-looking defect, and more unnatural than the judder (for me anyway).

My preference is to have cinema smooth with zero stutters.  But since I can't have that, I will take the 60Hz with some judder over the preferred cinema smooth with the damn picture stutter glitches.  Just like some people like the Soap Opera Effect, and others don't... to each his own but that's where I stand.

post #324 of 407 Old 05-24-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

CS uses a 4:4 cadence with 24p material and thus more smooth. With CS off, the tv uses a 2:3 cadence, which produces the judder. Those are your only 2 real options with blu ray movies filmed at 24hz. If the tv actually used 1:1 cadence (real 24hz), the movie would be impossible to watch. With this tv, you have a choice of watching at 96hz or 60hz. That is your CS on, and off. I highly doubt Samsung will fix the stutter. It is likely not just a FW update, but a poor design in the video board. Samsung won't waste engineering time to fix a 2013 tv anymore, especially with the focus now on 4K. I would be surprised to see more than 1 or 2 future FW updates before they cease providing anymore.
post #325 of 407 Old 05-28-2014, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After 3000 hours on my eu 64f8500 i can see that ir is getting worse. Even with cell light at 10 i have ir in every logo that stays more than 5 minutes. I use movie mode with contrast 95. Plus it needs more time to wash it out after it happens...Any help to reduce IR?
post #326 of 407 Old 05-28-2014, 07:31 AM

To wxman...

I suspect your right about the problem being a poor design on the video board.  I'm still crossing my fingers the firmware will change how the processing "communicates" to correct the problem.  But seriously, Samsung should have noticed this issue with testing.  I can't believe they didn't get this figured out before the TV was released.  It's a glaring & obvious problem.  Shame on them, but IMO they have only been about cranking things out quickly and getting the sales (quality is not as important as sales right?).

To polakis...

By any chance did you do the 100-150 hour break-in period before running this TV at full speed ahead?  My advice to you on this is to purchase the Disney WOW disc.  It has an inverted pixel converter utility that not only helps remove stuck pixels (for LCD tv's) but also works great at removing Image Retention.  It does a better job than the built-in screen scrubs of the Samsung & Panasonic TV's.  Try running it for 8+ hours.  Chances are that will remove it (or remove most of it).  If there is still a hint of it, you can continue running it for another 8 hours (or however long it takes).

After that, I have a few points of advice (I cannot 100% guarantee either of these will help but I can guarantee you these will NOT hurt the TV)...

(1)  After the image retention is removed, I would immediately bring the settings back down to 50% levels.  Cell light = 10.  Contrast = 50.  Brightness = 25.  Yeah, I know the TV doesn't look pretty to watch.  But you can download some colored picture slides on a USB flash drive and cycle through them while you are asleep and at work to help the break-in period faster.  This will take you about a week to complete (24hrs x 5 days).  Try NOT watch movies with letterbox (2.35:1 ratio).  Stick with the 1.85:1 (16x9) content.  Also do NOT watch content that has static logos.  Worst case scenario is that you only watch Blu-Rays in the 1.78:1 & 1.85:1 format and only use color slides during this time.

(2)  After the first 100 hours, bring up the contrast settings to 75%.  Cell light = 15.  Contrast = 75.  Brightness = 30-35.  At this point, go ahead and watch anything you like.  Letterbox movies at 2.35:1, or cable programs with the dastardly static logos.  By the way,the "invention" of that ridiculous thing is one of the WORST thing cable stations have done.  Even aside from plasma it's annoying as hell, and do we seriously need to be reminded which channel we are watching?  Does that truly increase the likelihood of returning to that station again?  NO!!!!  But when ONE channel did it, eventually they all copy-cat the stupid idea.

(3)  Finally, go to the settings (toward the bottom of the menu options) and navigate to the screen protection features.  You should be able to activate the pixel orbiter to "on".  It should help a lot while watching content with anything static.  I believe (not 100% sure on this) this option is ghosted out during 1080p / 24Hz programming (like through a blu-ray player).  And that's fine.  You need it while watching cable stations that have the logo.  What it does is BLUR the edges of the image retention so that its "shadow" is not easily defined and more invisible.  Hopefully the break-in periods in steps 1 & 2 will help put a "wax coating" on the inside of your TV... so those intense phosphors don't strike the glass directly and instead bounce off that nice "wax coating" you have built up instead.  I like to use the "wax coating" analogy over the "hardening of the phosphors" one, but either way you get the idea.

Lastly...

Just like with the buzzing on these sets, image retention is another "feature" that can vary from TV to TV.  Some have it worse than others.  I have at least 1,500 hours on my set now - so I can't yet comment what it will look like once it hits the 3,000 mark.  I don't have the cell intensity at 20.  I think mine is set at 17 or 18.  Not sure if that tiny drop will help or not.

post #327 of 407 Old 05-28-2014, 07:35 AM

p.s.

With advice #2, you may want to just keep the 75% setting for another 2 days (about 50 hours) after the first 100+.  This will give you an opportunity to OBSERVE the television and see if image retention or other anomalies are starting to happen.  Hopefully they aren't, and once you feel comfortable go ahead and return your contrast, brightness, and cell intensity levels back to its "full speed ahead" normal settings and (hopefully) enjoy the TV again :-)

post #328 of 407 Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post

By any chance did you do the 100-150 hour break-in period before running this TV at full speed ahead?  My advice to you on this is to purchase the Disney WOW disc.  It has an inverted pixel converter utility

I did the break in period before running the tv. Should i do all these in my 3000h tv? Isnt too late for these steps? Or its never too late?
post #329 of 407 Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 AM

The thing about plasmas is the AGING of the phosphors.  For instance... if you only watch content with letterbox for a couple years, and then suddenly watch full screen content (that takes up the whole 16x9 picture) you will see an UNEVEN brightness where the letterbox area was.  The area of the letterbox should appear slightly brighter than the rest of the screen.  The reason being is the viewable content area of the TV has aged more than the letterbox areas.

During the first 200-300 hours, the phosphors go through an aging process.  So if you had image retention during the first 200-300 hours, it will be even harder to remove.

How long was the content on to see the image retention?  Was this because one program was watched overnight?

It's quite possible you have image retention just because it's a plasma, but with the scrolling screen scrub (and Disney WOW disc) should remove it.  The WOW disc will remove it quicker than the scrolling screen scrub.

If you already did the break-in, I doubt doing another one will make a significant difference.  But if it was my TV I would surely download some picture slides and give it a try.  You would be looking at 5 days (running the TV 24/7), and worst case scenario another 2 days if you decide to slowly boost the settings up incrementally before going full blast again.  I certainly wouldn't want to waste another month or two, but if I could crunch it down to a week at least only 1 week would be wasted.  In your case, I would probably just do it for the 5 days (running 24/7) and then go full speed again and see what happens.

post #330 of 407 Old 05-29-2014, 08:23 AM

I also believe it is harder to get image retention when the settings are not at full brightness.  Once the IR is removed, you might try toning down cell intensity a notch.  Run the screen scrub and/or WOW disc with cell intensity at full power (20).  But during normal viewing you might try watching at 17.  That is still plenty bright, and you also may experience less eye fatigue while watching at night (i.e., when a dark scene suddenly changes to bright).

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page