Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 389 Old 05-29-2014, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post

The thing about plasmas is the AGING of the phosphors.  For instance... if you only watch content with letterbox for a couple years, and then suddenly watch full screen content (that takes up the whole 16x9 picture) you will see an UNEVEN brightness where the letterbox area was.  The area of the letterbox should appear slightly brighter than the rest of the screen.  The reason being is the viewable content area of the TV has aged more than the letterbox areas.

During the first 200-300 hours, the phosphors go through an aging process.  So if you had image retention during the first 200-300 hours, it will be even harder to remove.

How long was the content on to see the image retention?  Was this because one program was watched overnight?

It's quite possible you have image retention just because it's a plasma, but with the scrolling screen scrub (and Disney WOW disc) should remove it.  The WOW disc will remove it quicker than the scrolling screen scrub.

If you already did the break-in, I doubt doing another one will make a significant difference.  But if it was my TV I would surely download some picture slides and give it a try.  You would be looking at 5 days (running the TV 24/7), and worst case scenario another 2 days if you decide to slowly boost the settings up incrementally before going full blast again.  I certainly wouldn't want to waste another month or two, but if I could crunch it down to a week at least only 1 week would be wasted.  In your case, I would probably just do it for the 5 days (running 24/7) and then go full speed again and see what happens.

I didnt have IR at the beginning! I noticed it after the latest updates. I was watching movie mode cell20, contrast 95 the whole time until i changed to cell10 because of the IR. The IR i have (even at cell 10) is not very hard to wash it out. But its annoying having IR even at cell 10 or 5...And i am watching only full screen movies from day one and with zoom in channels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 389 Old 05-29-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I have had my cell light at 20 for the last 3 months, and do not have burn in. I will see some IR after watching a letterbox movie or a baseball game that has a static scorebox. But they always disappear by watching other full screen programs, or leaving the tv off overnight. So although a higher cell light may cause temporary IR faster than a lower cell light, it does not cause permanent burn in, at least in my case. I have over 1000 hours on my tv with no damage caused by a cell light of 20, contrast 95 and brightness 45. As the cells age, they become less bright, so after a few years a cell light of 20, may only be as bright as a cell light of 17 or 18.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #333 of 389 Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was watching replays of some NBA playoff games on NBA TV today, and I was floored by the constant flashing when the camera was in its standard mid-court view. I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but this is the first time I have ever noticed it. I turned BO off and also updated to FW 1120. Neither had any effect. I tried it through component and HDMI inputs, and it was present in both. Maybe it was the network. I have been watching the games live on TNT, and I don't remember seeing it at all. I'll watch the game tonight and see if it's there.

Does anyone else have this problem?
post #334 of 389 Old 05-29-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post

I was watching replays of some NBA playoff games on NBA TV today, and I was floored by the constant flashing when the camera was in its standard mid-court view. I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but this is the first time I have ever noticed it. I turned BO off and also updated to FW 1120. Neither had any effect. I tried it through component and HDMI inputs, and it was present in both. Maybe it was the network. I have been watching the games live on TNT, and I don't remember seeing it at all. I'll watch the game tonight and see if it's there.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have seen this on both my pioneer 5020, and my Samsung. Noticed that on my previous Sharp LED. Also see it sometimes in Hockey. My guess it the lights in the arena on the billboards, scoreboard, etc, that are always flashing something that reflect off the playing surface which affects the video cameras at times. Some arenas I do not see that during games. Probably because the cameras may be positioned better, or the reflection off the surfaces is not as bad. It can also come down to whether they are using 720p cameras or 1080i cameras, which vary from network to network. 720p seems to work better for sports and perhaps has less issues. These are just all guesses.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #335 of 389 Old 05-29-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 174
The #1 screen scrubber is Pixel Protector Blu-ray with it's 3 different Washes.
First is a Black and White mish mash, with Flecks of Colour - runniing at a fairly fast speed for 6 Hours
Second is a Colour mish mash that lazily is to be run for 2 hours.
Third and last Wash is a complete White Screen, to be run for 1 Hour.
By the time you get to #3 - you'll see if there's any kind of screen issues.
WOW Flicker, is a sort of in between on the Pixel Protector's #1 and #2 Washes.
Pixel Protector has wiped my F8500 clean very nicely.
post #336 of 389 Old 05-31-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've had an 64F8500 for a couple of weeks now, just over 100 hours on it, and everything was working fine until yesterday. Turned it on and it said No Signal on HDMI1 (I only have one source, a Marantz pre/pro). Cycled the power a couple of times and nothing. Removed and re-inserted the HDMI cable a couple times, even tried different inputs, and still nothing. Unplugged the HDMI cable from the Samsung and plugged it into a different tv and it worked fine. Plugged back into the Sammy and it worked. Now I just tried turning it on this morning and again, no signal detected. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
--Chuck
post #337 of 389 Old 05-31-2014, 08:17 AM

That is annoying as hell.  I have similar problems too.  Sometimes I turn off my cable box (HDMI1) and turn on my blu-ray player (HDMI2).  I get this annoying message there is no signal present (duh).  All I want to do at this point is press the source button at the top of the remote to select HDMI2.

But NOTHING works.  I can't press the "ok" button to accept the message, nor can I press the source button to change the input.  It just stays there.  At least I can reboot the TV and everything works like normal again.  Your problem sounds a lot worse than mine though, but it's annoying the level of glitches this Samsung TV has!

post #338 of 389 Old 05-31-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is annoying as hell.  I have similar problems too.  Sometimes I turn off my cable box (HDMI1) and turn on my blu-ray player (HDMI2).  I get this annoying message there is no signal present (duh).  All I want to do at this point is press the source button at the top of the remote to select HDMI2.

But NOTHING works.  I can't press the "ok" button to accept the message, nor can I press the source button to change the input.  It just stays there.  At least I can reboot the TV and everything works like normal again.  Your problem sounds a lot worse than mine though, but it's annoying the level of glitches this Samsung TV has!

I had the same problem until I figured out I had to push the down arrow so that the ok button was highlighted, then hit enter. Then i can hit source button, and switch.

post #339 of 389 Old 05-31-2014, 10:36 AM

lol....  thanks!!!!  i will definitely try that next time :-)

post #340 of 389 Old 05-31-2014, 10:37 AM

strange the screen doesn't default to have the OK button highlighted, don't you think?

post #341 of 389 Old 05-31-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

strange the screen doesn't default to have the OK button highlighted, don't you think?

I agree. Why have it display OK, and then require you to highlight it and press enter? Silly. You should just be able to hit enter to acknowledge.

post #342 of 389 Old 06-06-2014, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Had a very weird problem:
Error external speakers and needed to press OK to aliviate. The error window was flikkering so badly that it would not accept the ok button from te remote.
In fact the TV did not accept any commands from the remote at all anymore, could not even turn the TV off.
Had to do the following to eliviate then problem.

1) remove all input and output cables from back of TV, including CI mudule.
2) unplug tv from mains for 10 minutes.
3) replug tv into mains and wait for red standby led to light.
4) do a factory reset
5) reinstall complete TV info including cable/setopbox info and calibration info.

Now tv works as normal except that the changing of the audio modes is greyed out and wont change audio modes, audio is defaulted to STANDARD.

Looks like i might try unplugging tv for another 10 minutes to see if audio mode changeability comes back.

Rob mad.gif
post #343 of 389 Old 06-08-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Alright guys, I dont know if others have tried yet, but I disabled my internet connection. I did not have any stutters last night. I figured my phone(Samsung) gets really wonky sometimes because of the internet connection, so I figured since there is a constant invasion of data, the television will get bombarded and start screwing around like my phone does. I'm going to watch more content tonight and hopefully this solved the problem. I do know that I did not enable my internet connection for the first few weeks I watched content and did not come across the stutters. I did download the new firmware when I first received it and then I factory reset without turning wifi back on.
post #344 of 389 Old 07-11-2014, 10:55 PM

Liked: 0
No signal/No Cable Connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
I've had an 64F8500 for a couple of weeks now, just over 100 hours on it, and everything was working fine until yesterday. Turned it on and it said No Signal on HDMI1 (I only have one source, a Marantz pre/pro). Cycled the power a couple of times and nothing. Removed and re-inserted the HDMI cable a couple times, even tried different inputs, and still nothing. Unplugged the HDMI cable from the Samsung and plugged it into a different tv and it worked fine. Plugged back into the Sammy and it worked. Now I just tried turning it on this morning and again, no signal detected. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
--Chuck
YES! I'm having this same issue with my PN64F8500! I thought at first it was an issue with my AVR (Denon 3313CI) because I had everything connected to it via HDMI with one HDMI cable running from the Denon to HDMI 1, so tried multiple fixes with it including a "handshake reset" (disconnect all HDMI cables and turn everything off for 15 minutes) and rebooting the microprocessor (after saving the settings). This didn't fix it, so now I wanted to see if maybe it was the TV, not the AVR. So next I tried connecting the DirecTV box directly to the TV with two different HDMI cables to multiple different inputs on the TV. Each time I get either the no signal or no cable connected error. And yes, I have tried turning the TV and satellite box off multiple times. I have firmware 1120 installed according to what I found through the menus. PLEASE HELP!! I am gaga over this TV and am now at a loss and EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED!! In case it's important, my setup before I had this problem: Samsung Bluray and DirecTV HD DVR each connected to Denon 3313CI via HDMI, then HDMI out via monitor 1 to HDMI 1 on the TV plus an optical audio cable out from the TV back to the Denon to be able to have the audio from the apps play over the surround sound...throughout this issue I have had sound play fine over the AVR from both the satellite box and the Bluray player...but no video! Anything else I can try??
post #345 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 01:27 AM

Hi sorry to hear you are having problems with youre TV. I have had friends with similar problem and from the 4 3 had to have the mainboard (board with HDMI,USB plugis on it) replaced by Samsung service.
The one other that did not we did the folowing:

1) UNPLUG the tv from the power source (either 110volt or 220volt depending on youre location), for at least 1/2 hour.
After that try again and see if all is ok now.

2) if the above did not work try a factory reset this will remove all adjustments in the menus you have made and erase all of
youre calibration settings so be sure to copy settings down on paper before doing the factory reset.
the factory reset information for USA is not linkable you will have to do a search on FACTORY RESET (this due all changes in this board lately)

FOR EURO tvs f8500 look here Official Samsung PNxxF8500 "Bugs" Thread

BE CAREFULL do exactly as stated in the post.

If the above hasnt helped call SAMSUNG SERVICE!!!

Hope this helps you guys, good luck.

Last edited by cooknl; 07-12-2014 at 01:57 AM. Reason: remove url none work anymore
post #346 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 01:56 AM

Thank you for the quick reply. I have been searching EVERYWHERE for the factory reset instructions, and as you said, none of the links are working! Could someone please type them out here as a reply? I'm getting ready to pull my hair out trying to find them here in the forum OR on google! Thank you! If I'm able to get the instructions and the reset doesn't work, I'll certainly call Samsung. I'll also try unplugging for awhile as you suggested. My settings are written down as I copied them from someone else in the first place.
post #347 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 02:13 AM

Factory reset USA version
WILL WIPE ALL SETTINGS AND CALIBRATIONS

1)Turn TV OFF
2)On standard multy button remote (not the small one), press MUTE,1,8,2,POWER buttons. SERVICE MENU WILL APPEAR in a few seconds (just wait).
3)click on OPTION
4) click on FACTORY RESET
5) the TV will turn off
6) wait for a few seconds
7) Press POWER
8) start the SETUP

NOTICENOTICE

DO NOT!!!! click on anything else in this menu, you WILL BRICK youre tv if you do !!!!!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

ALL youre setting will be wiped out !!!!!
It is just like when you took it new out of the box@!!!!!!!

Last edited by cooknl; 07-12-2014 at 03:03 AM.
post #348 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew96 View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. I have been searching EVERYWHERE for the factory reset instructions, and as you said, none of the links are working! Could someone please type them out here as a reply? I'm getting ready to pull my hair out trying to find them here in the forum OR on google! Thank you! If I'm able to get the instructions and the reset doesn't work, I'll certainly call Samsung. I'll also try unplugging for awhile as you suggested. My settings are written down as I copied them from someone else in the first place.
Crew Goodluck mate i hope you can do with the factory reset but I am afraid you might need to call Samsung.
Here in Holland not very many of these 8500's where sold and most people that I have contact with had to have the main board replaced
or repaired.
I am a very avid believer in keeping the electronics cool to prevent chip and or transistor failure. Thats why I have installed 2x 120mm fans on the rear of my F8500 and have not had a problem with my mainboard sofar. Also my temperatures are about 12 to 15 degrees C less then standard non fan temps. In a room at 24 degrees C the temp of the air coming out of the top of the tv is about 47-49 C with my 120mm fans on its down to31 to 34 C, a respectable temp drop.

Rob
post #349 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 03:01 AM

Doesn't look good...

Rob,
It appears that your fears (and mine) are accurate. I did the factory reset, reconnected the HDMI from the Denon, turned all back on and started the set-up...and the Set-up menu is saying that there is no device connected! ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!! Looks like it might be the board. This doesn't make any sense! I've only had this baby since Suoer Bowl Sunday of this year! (A coincidence that it was delivered that day) seems awfully early for the board to fail! Although certainly better now in warranty than later!

When you say you installed fans, what do you mean? Are they set up back behind the TV, blowing on it? Mine is on a stand with nothin surrounding it and lots of clearance behind it to the wall...
Thanks again for your help in diagnosing...cross your fingers for me that Samsung doesn't give me the run-around when I call!
post #350 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 03:16 AM

Talking

Quote:
Rob,

When you say you installed fans, what do you mean? Are they set up back behind the TV, blowing on it? Mine is on a stand with nothin surrounding it and lots of clearance behind it to the wall...
Thanks again for your help in diagnosing...cross your fingers for me that Samsung doesn't give me the run-around when I call!
Nope you look at the back of youre tv and will see the rear panel has a whole bunch of holes. If you hold youre hand real close to the upper most bunch of holes you will find a lot of heat eminating from the upper holes especially above the input side.
As you know heat rises, and with that in mind the factory designed the unit sothat cold air is drawn from the bottom of the rear panel and is by convection sucked up thru the tv past the hot components and the hot air ousted out of the top holes on the back panel.
I have mounted 2x 120mm fans (Thermaltake 5volt USB available thru amazon) they are SUCKING hot air out through the upper holes and thereby moving a lot more air past the hot components, and thus keeping things cooler. yes you can hear the fans somewhat but as soon as you have the sound turned up so that you can hear the audio the sound from the fans disapears. But as with anything else its a compromise, but i think it worth it to keep my components from failing so fast.

Rob

Last edited by cooknl; 07-12-2014 at 03:29 AM.
post #351 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 03:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Rob,
It appears that your fears (and mine) are accurate. I did the factory reset, reconnected the HDMI from the Denon, turned all back on and started the set-up...and the Set-up menu is saying that there is no device connected! ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!! Looks like it might be the board. This doesn't make any sense! I've only had this baby since Suoer Bowl Sunday of this year! (A coincidence that it was delivered that day) seems awfully early for the board to fail! Although certainly better now in warranty than later!

You may have already tried this but if not, turn on your components and TV in a different sequence. HDMI handshakes are funny about that.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #352 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 03:54 AM

What also might help is going into MENU/SYSTEM/Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) OFF, so turn off the CEC mode maybe that is the cause of the problem.
I dont use AVR in my system I just run my sound thru a TOS cable to the receiver and have sound on all modes including in the apps.

But i rthought that if you turn off the CEC system maybe you eliminate the testing of the HDMI system to look for video sources, if you then plug youre SETOP box or satelite receiver directly into one of the HDMI plugs you again have video, its worth a try anyway.

Rob
post #353 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 09:24 AM

Liked: 16
I've been problem-free for about a week now. I decided to enable ARC so I had to turn all that Anynet/HDMI-CEC crap on in my Marantz and the Samsung. I also started using HDMI input 3. My thought was that the standby signal from my Dish Network box would always be passing thru to the television. Unfortunately, I was getting an echo from the audio - like the audio return channel was being played even though the Marantz was set to Sat, not TV. I turned off all the Anynet/HDMI-CEC settings, left the input on HDMI 3 and haven't had the "no signal present" problem since then.
post #354 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had my HDMI ports stop working. I've tried everything, multiple cables, devices, all ports, a factory reset, disabling CEC. Really sucks, it was working a few minutes ago, all i did was unplug my hdmi switcher and plug it back in then it never worked again.
post #355 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterx View Post
I just had my HDMI ports stop working. I've tried everything, multiple cables, devices, all ports, a factory reset, disabling CEC. Really sucks, it was working a few minutes ago, all i did was unplug my hdmi switcher and plug it back in then it never worked again.
Do they all fail if you connect devices directly to tv, instead of thru switch?

post #356 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Do they all fail if you connect devices directly to tv, instead of thru switch?
Yep, tried everything direct, currently leaving the set off for an hour then trying again.
post #357 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterx View Post
Yep, tried everything direct, currently leaving the set off for an hour then trying again.
I hope that works too. Was that a powered HDMI switch? Hopefully that didn't send a power surge and mess up the hdmi board.

post #358 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 174
HDMI Connectios

When doing Resets: with the Power OFF, remove ALL HDMI connections Before doing the Resets.
Turn set on without Inputting any connections. Do the Setup. Turn Power Off, reapply connections starting with one connection in HDMI Input 2. If this is now working, turn Power back off and Insert next Input. Do these one at a time. If one of them has an issue, you'll now have been able to isolate the problem. If the HDMI 2 didn't work. Power down and try a different component to Input to isolate a possible component issue.
Always remember the Turn OFF then ON Rule: wait 10 seconds before turning back ON after being OFF!
post #359 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
When doing Resets: with the Power OFF, remove ALL HDMI connections Before doing the Resets.
Turn set on without Inputting any connections. Do the Setup. Turn Power Off, reapply connections starting with one connection in HDMI Input 2. If this is now working, turn Power back off and Insert next Input. Do these one at a time. If one of them has an issue, you'll now have been able to isolate the problem. If the HDMI 2 didn't work. Power down and try a different component to Input to isolate a possible component issue.
Always remember the Turn OFF then ON Rule: wait 10 seconds before turning back ON after being OFF!

Where is the ON/OFF switch on the Samsung 8500?
post #360 of 389 Old 07-12-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post
Where is the ON/OFF switch on the Samsung 8500?
lower left hand corner back side it's a joystick press in to turn on/off

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread