Official Samsung PNxxF8500 "Bugs" Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 407 Old 08-02-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I have an odd glitch with Redmere cables. I don't think it's the F8500. My setup is DirecTV>Oppo103D>Samsung F8500>to Onyko via HDMI 3 (ARC) all with Redmere cables. When using a standard HDMI cable from tv via HDMI3 (ARC), and with Anynet CEC turned on, I have no problems and ARC works just fine. I can turn on and off the receiver with tv remote and I get sound. However, when I use a redmere cable the final leg, I can turn receiver off and on with tv remote, but get no sound. I even switch the ends of the cable, and still no sound. I know the cable work fine as I tested it with another device directly to tv. Does the redmere cable require both the video and audio to pass through, and not just the audio?I have tried with another Redmere cable and get same result. Bizarre that a $3 HDMI cable works with ARC, but the Redmere doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 407 Old 08-02-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 549
I'm not using ARC with my Redmere cables so I haven't tried that. Hopefully someone else who has will chime in.
post #393 of 407 Old 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
F8500 3D Brightness "Pops" and Ghosting

I have a new (less than 50 hours) Samsung PN64F8500 and I have noticed two bugs.

The biggest is the first. I have the lastest firmware (ver. 1120) & I have performed a service menu factory reset since installing it.

1. In 3D Mode there are visible "pops" in brightness as the content progresses. Also there is an image doubling effect that sometimes corrects itself and sometimes does not. It's kind of a ghosting effect. This is quite annoying, especially for a videophile like myself. Is there a solution??

2. When in Movie mode, sometimes the cell light gets stuck in a dim mode. It makes the whole image darker than normal. Changing the cell light setting a click or two then back to your original setting corrects this. This is not a consistent or easily repeatable bug (fortunately).

I am more concerned with the 3D bugs. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Byrdman

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-2313CI
Oppo BDP-103

Last edited by Byrdman10; 08-02-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Additional Information Added
post #394 of 407 Old 08-03-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman10 View Post
I have a new (less than 50 hours) Samsung PN64F8500 and I have noticed two bugs.

The biggest is the first. I have the lastest firmware (ver. 1120) & I have performed a service menu factory reset since installing it.

1. In 3D Mode there are visible "pops" in brightness as the content progresses. Also there is an image doubling effect that sometimes corrects itself and sometimes does not. It's kind of a ghosting effect. This is quite annoying, especially for a videophile like myself. Is there a solution??

2. When in Movie mode, sometimes the cell light gets stuck in a dim mode. It makes the whole image darker than normal. Changing the cell light setting a click or two then back to your original setting corrects this. This is not a consistent or easily repeatable bug (fortunately).

Thanks!

Byrdman

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-2313CI
Oppo BDP-103
Try...
1. Turn Cinema Smooth On. It should get rid of the brightness pops.
2. Turn System->Eco Solution->Eco Sensor On. Then set Min Cell Light to 20 and then turn Eco Sensor Off again.
post #395 of 407 Old 08-03-2014, 11:42 AM

Thank you very much for the response.

As stated, I am a videophile and thus not a fan of the frame interpolation (Cinema Smooth) function due to the dreaded "soap opera" effect. Is there anything else I can try? Is this a firmware bug?

Thanks again,

Byrdman

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-2313CI
Oppo BDP-103

Panasonic TC-P65S60
Denon AVR-1911

Last edited by Byrdman10; 08-03-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Typo
post #396 of 407 Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you very much for the response.

As stated, I am a videophile and thus not a fan of the frame interpolation (Cinema Smooth) function due to the dreaded "soap opera" effect. Is there anything else I can try? Is this a firmware bug?

Thanks again,

Byrdman
I don't see any "soap opera" effect with CInema Smooth On.
It might be that you ran into the "Motion Judder Canceller"-bug. It is still "on" even though it says it is off.
You need to turn "Motion Judder Canceller" On, And the turn it Off again.

Yes, all the things I mentioned are most likely firmware bugs.
For me, the workarounds are acceptable.

Last edited by rickardl; 08-03-2014 at 12:51 PM.
post #397 of 407 Old 08-03-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Thanks!

Byrdman

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-2313CI
Oppo BDP-103
Yo...Birdman,

I had the same dimness until you move the cell value up/down.

Can't be certain that I've corrected it, but I've noticed that after doing a factory reset from within the service menu that it hasn't done it again. It's only been since Wednesday of last week so can't be certain that its corrected.

It would usually exhibit this behavior when I've been calibrating. After the factory reset on Wednesday, I recalibrated on Friday. So it should have stuck again but hasn't.

If you don't have the details on factory reset, let us know and we'll get you to them.

That might have to do with your other problem too.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #398 of 407 Old 08-03-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
You know these F8500s are like a darn sports car. You can get incredible performance but you have to baby them. sheeze.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #399 of 407 Old 08-03-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I have an odd glitch with Redmere cables. I don't think it's the F8500. My setup is DirecTV>Oppo103D>Samsung F8500>to Onyko via HDMI 3 (ARC) all with Redmere cables. When using a standard HDMI cable from tv via HDMI3 (ARC), and with Anynet CEC turned on, I have no problems and ARC works just fine. I can turn on and off the receiver with tv remote and I get sound. However, when I use a redmere cable the final leg, I can turn receiver off and on with tv remote, but get no sound. I even switch the ends of the cable, and still no sound. I know the cable work fine as I tested it with another device directly to tv. Does the redmere cable require both the video and audio to pass through, and not just the audio?I have tried with another Redmere cable and get same result. Bizarre that a $3 HDMI cable works with ARC, but the Redmere doesn't.
A quick update. I just got the Oppo 103D, so it was the first time I hooked up the DirecTV box to the OPPO, and from there to tv. Not only would ARC not work properly, but after about an hour viewing DirecTV, the audio would drop off and nothing but loud static. This was even with optical instead of ARC. Then I replaced the redmere cable from DirecTV to OPPO, with another cheapo HDMI cable, and no loss of audio. Having a redmere cable on the last leg from OPPO to TV works fine, but any others in that chain cause issues. Maybe it's the OPPO not capable of working with redmere cables properly when used to attach another device to it, and then processing the signal, and then sending it to tv.
post #400 of 407 Old 08-03-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
A quick update. I just got the Oppo 103D, so it was the first time I hooked up the DirecTV box to the OPPO, and from there to tv. Not only would ARC not work properly, but after about an hour viewing DirecTV, the audio would drop off and nothing but loud static. This was even with optical instead of ARC. Then I replaced the redmere cable from DirecTV to OPPO, with another cheapo HDMI cable, and no loss of audio. Having a redmere cable on the last leg from OPPO to TV works fine, but any others in that chain cause issues. Maybe it's the OPPO not capable of working with redmere cables properly when used to attach another device to it, and then processing the signal, and then sending it to tv.
The problem was explained to me in the OPPO 103D thread. Redmere is unidirectional and can not be daisy chained.
post #401 of 407 Old 08-05-2014, 07:57 AM

rickardl,

Thank you for the reply.

I turned on the Film Mode --> Cinema Smooth feature while watching 3D content (normally greyed out in Movie Mode). That did indeed fix the ghosting and brightness "pops" in 3D. Avator looked as good as it did when I saw it in IMAX 3D during it's theatrical run!

I was in error about Frame Interpolation. Frame Interpolation is actually Motion Judder Canceller. Turning this on resulted in lips sync issues and the dreaded "soap opera effect." As a videophile, I don't expect to ever use this feature.

Thank you again for the help!

Yours,

Byrdman

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-2313CI
Oppo BDP-103

Panasonic TC-P65S60
Denon AVR-1911

Last edited by Byrdman10; 08-05-2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Typo
post #402 of 407 Old 08-06-2014, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
rickardl,

Thank you for the reply.

I turned on the Film Mode --> Cinema Smooth feature while watching 3D content (normally greyed out in Movie Mode). That did indeed fix the ghosting and brightness "pops" in 3D. Avator looked as good as it did when I saw it in IMAX 3D during it's theatrical run!

I was in error about Frame Interpolation. Frame Interpolation is actually Motion Judder Canceller. Turning this on resulted in lips sync issues and the dreaded "soap opera effect." As a videophile, I don't expect to ever use this feature.

Thank you again for the help!

Yours,

Byrdman
Glad to hear! Any luck with the "dim" mode?
post #403 of 407 Old 09-16-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Is it a Bug if the 2013 XXF8500s can't go any higher than FW #1120 ?
post #404 of 407 Old 09-16-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Is it a Bug if the 2013 XXF8500s can't go any higher than FW #1120 ?
It appears Samsung has stopped "reverse engineering" it's F8500 series PDPs. They haven't updated the firmware download information on their web site since v1119.1 w/release date 2/16/14 and we remain at 1120.
post #405 of 407 Old 09-16-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone else have problems with centering a PS3's image using screen fit? My PS3's 1080p output is 1 pixel 'off' (I see a grey, 1 pixel wide bar, running on the entire left side of the screen.) I can adjust the horizontal using the position menu, but these settings seem to reset anytime there's any resolution change/reset, meaning I need to readjust the horizontal position everytime I power up my PS3.
post #406 of 407 Old 09-16-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I originally posted this in the Owners thread, but I'm starting to think this fits more here... though I might be the only one who has witnessed this.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The past few weeks, I have noticed the following glitch occur (AR related). I use Screen Fit, by the way:

After some time having the TV set on, my TV's AR will change to 16:9. The setting still says Screen Fit, but it's really showing 16:9. I will go Menu or Tools to see that I indeed still have Screen Fit on. If I try and change AR's, the TV won't adjust accordingly. It just stays stuck on 16:9. The other thing I notice is when I go to Menu or Tools, the image on TV tints into a teal. Setup and Menu language gray out as well. Power-cycling the TV eliminates this, but eventually it goes back again.

This is an easy thing that I can record and show you guys, I'll just need to get out the camera for it. However, before I do it I wanted to know if anybody else knows what this is, or if ya'll have been talking about it.

I'm on FW 1116, by the way.
post #407 of 407 Old 09-19-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
FW # 1203 now available for 2013 and 2014 F8500s
Remember, with power off, remove HDMI Cables. Power On and do FW update. Reinstall HDMI cables before powering up.
For the very cautious - power down, remove plug from wall. Remove HDMI cables, reinstall power, power up and do FW update. When finished, remove plug from wall, reinsert HDMI cables. Plug back in the wall, and power up.
KONICA TECH likes this.

Last edited by p5browne; 09-20-2014 at 06:15 AM.
post #408 of 407 Old 09-19-2014, 08:58 PM

Liked: 24
Do you notice any picture improvements or bug fixes after updating the firmware? My TV came with FW1200, and since this appears to be a point update, if all it does is tweak apps and whatnot in Smart Hub, then I'll pass and leave well enough alone, since I never use that stuff.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page