post #451 of 471 Old 11-06-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Go to settings, smart hub, and in there I forgot what it is called but there is an option to turn off the smart hub at startup so your TV would be the only thing showing when you power it on. Just go through the different options in that screen and whatever it is called you need to turn it off.

The settings are not in the service menu. You need to go into the service menu to unlock to more calibration modes.

So by default the modes are Vivid, Relax, Standard and Movie. After you unlock the other modes in addition to those you get Cal day and Cal night. So there is now more modes to use for your settings. These are not stored in your service menu and will come up the same way standard, movie and the others come up.

Not sure why they don't just unlock these by default or why they make it so hard to do. On my Panasonic you unlocked these modes in the settings menu. On my projector they have 2 locked calibration modes that require a password to unlock them. Luckily someone posted the password to unlock them online otherwise you probably need to be a certified calibrator to know the password to unlock it.
Interesting. So once you unlock them, they show up when you press menu, and you no longer need to go into the service menu (and connecting HDMI cables and so forth) to access the new picxture modes; e.g., Cal-Day? Thank you! (I notice Kevin Miller has calibration settings for Ca-Day and Cal-Night in one his reviews of the 8500.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 471 Old 11-06-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
hmmm...I have that unit...a couple of them as well as a genie

and yes..if you were watching ANY programing and didn't touch the remote( or a button on the unit itself) for 4 hours the receiver will shut off

Warren

That's crazy. No option to turn off the four-hour shutdown? Not going to get the Genie since satsied with picture quality on HR20-700. Further, I believe I read where Genie does not have component out?
post #453 of 471 Old 11-06-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Interesting. So once you unlock them, they show up when you press menu, and you no longer need to go into the service menu (and connecting HDMI cables and so forth) to access the new picxture modes; e.g., Cal-Day? Thank you! (I notice Kevin Miller has calibration settings for Ca-Day and Cal-Night in one his reviews of the 8500.)
Not sure what you mean by using HDMI cables. It just shows up just like movie or standard show up.

You can see a picture here:
F8500 Recommended Settings Thread.....
post #454 of 471 Old 11-06-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
That's crazy. No option to turn off the four-hour shutdown? Not going to get the Genie since satsied with picture quality on HR20-700. Further, I believe I read where Genie does not have component out?

you can turn it off

that is the default
I actually like it. Me sitting there not touching the remote for any reason for 4 hours never happens
I like the fact that it will shut off...the TV as well...if there is no activity

I use all HDMI....but I am pretty sure the genie has component outputs

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #455 of 471 Old 11-06-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by using HDMI cables. It just shows up just like movie or standard show up.

You can see a picture here:
F8500 Recommended Settings Thread.....
In prior message, said that need to go thruogh number of steps including disconnecting and reconnecting HDMI cables to get to the service menu. I was wondering whether need to do that every time adjust Cal-Day and Cal-Night and any other picture modes in service menu, or whether when "unlock" they just pop up under the same menu as the other pciture modes; e.g., movie, standard. Thanks.

(Appears from pic from link that it does.)
post #456 of 471 Old 11-06-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In prior message, said that need to go thruogh number of steps including disconnecting and reconnecting HDMI cables to get to the service menu. I was wondering whether need to do that every time adjust Cal-Day and Cal-Night and any other picture modes in service menu, or whether when "unlock" they just pop up under the same menu as the other picture modes; e.g., movie, standard. Thanks.

(Appears from pic from link that it does.)
Yeah, once unlocked you never need to go into the service menu again. There is a different set of instructions for that though when in the service menu then the reset but I did not post those. It is just going into a different setting in there and turning them on.

I am not even sure the unplugging of the hdmi cables is truly necessary. I think there is just belief that when resetting software it is good to unplug cables. Not sure why it would be needed when unlocking the cal modes though but I just followed the instructions and that is what it said to do so I did.

Same thing when they say your TV should be unplugged when you put in or take out hdmi cables. I have put cables in and taken cables out plenty of times while my TV's were on without any negative effect but I guess to be safe and make sure you do not ruin anything the side of precaution is to unplug the TV when you do this.
igreg likes this.
post #457 of 471 Old 11-17-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Yeah, once unlocked you never need to go into the service menu again. There is a different set of instructions for that though when in the service menu then the reset but I did not post those. It is just going into a different setting in there and turning them on.

I am not even sure the unplugging of the hdmi cables is truly necessary. I think there is just belief that when resetting software it is good to unplug cables. Not sure why it would be needed when unlocking the cal modes though but I just followed the instructions and that is what it said to do so I did.

Same thing when they say your TV should be unplugged when you put in or take out hdmi cables. I have put cables in and taken cables out plenty of times while my TV's were on without any negative effect but I guess to be safe and make sure you do not ruin anything the side of precaution is to unplug the TV when you do this.
Seems to be several Members in the Owners Forum complaining about HDMI Input losses. I wonder if they were hot swapping?
post #458 of 471 Old 11-23-2014, 02:29 PM
EZT

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Last week I purchased an open box PN64F8500 at Best Buy with around 4K hours on it for $1,500. This was a customer return that was on display for several months. I had nearly given up on finding this TV at all, let alone at such a significant discount, so I picked it up as soon as I found it. Within the first few hours of viewing, I am experiencing the following:

• Menu freezing - this happens sporadically
  • The Guide takes about 30 seconds to initially load when pulling in OTA channels - this happens every time I turn on the TV
  • One of the USB drives isn't working

Everything else appears to be fine, but something about the software just feels glitchy/buggy. I tried a factory reset,and updating the firmware, and all of the problems persist. I contacted Samsung and confirmed that this unit had not been refurbished or repaired (however they told me it was no longer under the factory warranty, since it was registered by the original owner in May of 2013). My big concern is that these problems are going to get worse, and Best Buy won't be able to fix it due to this model getting discontinued (I purchased their service plan). Just trying to figure out what to do. There appears to be a NIB 60" and 64" by me, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to size down or pay an additional $1K just for the piece of mind.

I'm really not a nitpicky person, and I honestly don't mind the issues too much right now. My big concern is them getting worse and Best Buy not being able to fix my set, at which point I probably won't be able to find this TV at all.

What do you guys think? Is there a way to get Samsung to reconsider the factory warranty?
post #459 of 471 Old 11-23-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZT View Post
Within the first few hours of viewing, I am experiencing the following:

• Menu freezing - this happens sporadically
  • The Guide takes about 30 seconds to initially load when pulling in OTA channels - this happens every time I turn on the TV
  • One of the USB drives isn't working

Everything else appears to be fine, but something about the software just feels glitchy/buggy. I tried a factory reset,and updating the firmware, and all of the problems persist. I contacted Samsung and confirmed that this unit had not been refurbished or repaired (however they told me it was no longer under the factory warranty, since it was registered by the original owner in May of 2013). My big concern is that these problems are going to get worse, and Best Buy won't be able to fix it due to this model getting discontinued (I purchased their service plan). Just trying to figure out what to do. There appears to be a NIB 60" and 64" by me, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to size down or pay an additional $1K just for the piece of mind.

What do you guys think? Is there a way to get Samsung to reconsider the factory warranty?
NONSENSE to BB not being able to fix it. Replacement parts are available and BB can and will replace the main circuit board, which is clearly defective (USB is bad).

So call them and have them order a main board. They will send a tech to confirm if they think it necessary.

No way will Samsung honor a warranty for that set.
post #460 of 471 Old 11-23-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 222
A set with quite a few hours on it - great deal? or buying somebody's problems they just wanted to get rid of because it was out of warranty?
post #461 of 471 Old 11-24-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
A set with quite a few hours on it - great deal? or buying somebody's problems they just wanted to get rid of because it was out of warranty?
Plus with 4,000 hours on it that, that is much longer then a few months display.

Best Buy sells their open box and floor models as ones that come with the full year manufacturer warranty. That is not your problem that someone else registered the TV, that is Best Buy's problem and they need to make it right.
post #462 of 471 Unread 12-19-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Picture problems

I have a 2 month old Sept 2013 build 64" with about 300 hrs. on it. I have been watching it, and had concerns especially about motion, although I did see some stuff that looked pretty good, usually sports. Now, I am talking about directv feeds mostly. Movies on Directv by in large look like crap especially action scenes. This was not the case with my old Sony sxrd or my 46" panasonic plasma. I thought I and downloaded the latest firmware last month, but I guess it didn't take as I had decided to have a calibrator tune the set and look at it. He downloaded, I believe 1204. Anyway, sometimes the picture is fairly sharp, and lots of times it isn't. Crappy motion makes movies on Direct not worth watching to me as I am very particular about my Video. Last night I was watching the news and when it went to commercial even they were jittery. This is a plasma, should be smooth as silk and is noted to be. I started reading this thread, am only on page 7. Thought it was time to chime in. What's going on here? Help would be greatly appreciated! By the way, everything is turned off,Motion judder etc.
post #463 of 471 Unread 12-20-2014, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit58 View Post
I have a 2 month old Sept 2013 build 64" with about 300 hrs. on it. I have been watching it, and had concerns especially about motion, although I did see some stuff that looked pretty good, usually sports. Now, I am talking about directv feeds mostly. Movies on Directv by in large look like crap especially action scenes. This was not the case with my old Sony sxrd or my 46" panasonic plasma. I thought I and downloaded the latest firmware last month, but I guess it didn't take as I had decided to have a calibrator tune the set and look at it. He downloaded, I believe 1204. Anyway, sometimes the picture is fairly sharp, and lots of times it isn't. Crappy motion makes movies on Direct not worth watching to me as I am very particular about my Video. Last night I was watching the news and when it went to commercial even they were jittery. This is a plasma, should be smooth as silk and is noted to be. I started reading this thread, am only on page 7. Thought it was time to chime in. What's going on here? Help would be greatly appreciated! By the way, everything is turned off,Motion judder etc.
The larger the tv, the more noticeable the flaws. Going from a 46 inch to 64 is significant. I have the 64 inch model too and DirecTV. At times I see poor motion too with movies and some commercials. You may be able to alleviate some of the issues by setting your DirecTV box to native output on instead of off. With it off, it converts 720p material to 1080i before sending to your tv. Those cheap boxes do a poor job. I set it to native and let my tv do the processing. The other issue is compression. DirecTV like cable, compress the HD signal to save bandwidth, so you do not get true HD, which can produce compression artifacts and not produce as smooth of motion. Again, this will be more noticeable on larger screens. The issue with movies over cable or satellite, they take the 24p movie, convert to 30 fps or 60 fps depending on whether it is 720p or 1080i, which will then be processed by your tv, and you end up with judder. On your tv in the settings, set your screen to Screen Fit instead of 16:9. Screen Fit gives you true 1:1 pixel mapping. Also set film mode to Auto 1 for movies, Auto 2 for sports.

Last edited by wxman; 12-20-2014 at 01:58 AM.
post #464 of 471 Unread 12-20-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I don't know if the bug still exist but toggle cinama smooth on/off. There was a problem where it would show off but still be on.

As wxman posted above, do the film mode thing. It changes the processing depending on whether you're viewing content that was originated in 24 fps such as film or 60 fps such as live sports that's shot on digital.

As for newer films that are shot digitally, I'm not sure which would apply. You might want to try both and see which looks better.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #465 of 471 Unread Yesterday, 09:43 AM

What about doing a reset and then re inputing my settings. Like I said, my Sony sxrd, which was a 70" did not show these issues. This picture can be dull or swimmy at times , just not sharp.
post #466 of 471 Unread Yesterday, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit58 View Post
What about doing a reset and then re inputing my settings. Like I said, my Sony sxrd, which was a 70" did not show these issues. This picture can be dull or swimmy at times , just not sharp.
You can try resetting. Years ago I owned a Samsung DLP. Of the tv's I have owned since, none could handle motion better than the DLP. DLP and rear projection tv's were excellent for motion, but not as good with blacks and viewing angles. You almost have to pick your poison. Plasma great for blacks, color and viewing angles, while suffering from motion judder. LED is much brighter with great color, but suffer from motion blur, and other issues.
post #467 of 471 Unread Yesterday, 11:35 AM

So if I reset the display according to the instructions in this thread. I just need to re enter all of my settings. Is grey scale determined by white balance? One more question, any difference in the regular HD dvrs from directv and the Genie, quality wise?
post #468 of 471 Unread Yesterday, 06:55 PM

Are there actually commas

Want to do the reset, are there actually commas that you have to enter as I do not see any on the remote? Is the comma meant to be a pause in button pressing? I want to find everything out before I do this.

Thanks

Last edited by mrfixit58; Yesterday at 06:57 PM. Reason: addition
post #469 of 471 Unread Yesterday, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I saw a few others mention this, but unless I missed it scanning the thread here, I don't think I have seen any user level solutions.

I have a PN64F8500 set, and at times when I hit the menu key, the menu will be displayed, but when I try and do anything in the menu it seems to often just hang. You can see the red light blinking if you hit any remote buttons, but the set itself is frozen solid. After about 2-3 minutes, at times it will start responding, and other times it will just reboot, you can see it power down, and then come back on, so guessing it has some kind of watchdog timer.

I got this at Best Buy, guessing I may need to hit them up for a service call (I did get their 5yr warranty with it), but I just wanted to look around first to make sure it's not something stupid going on that I am correct. I have run the update, and let it grab the latest firmware, so the set should be current.

Any recommendations or suggestions??
post #470 of 471 Unread Today, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDude View Post
I saw a few others mention this, but unless I missed it scanning the thread here, I don't think I have seen any user level solutions.

I have a PN64F8500 set, and at times when I hit the menu key, the menu will be displayed, but when I try and do anything in the menu it seems to often just hang. You can see the red light blinking if you hit any remote buttons, but the set itself is frozen solid. After about 2-3 minutes, at times it will start responding, and other times it will just reboot, you can see it power down, and then come back on, so guessing it has some kind of watchdog timer.

I got this at Best Buy, guessing I may need to hit them up for a service call (I did get their 5yr warranty with it), but I just wanted to look around first to make sure it's not something stupid going on that I am correct. I have run the update, and let it grab the latest firmware, so the set should be current.

Any recommendations or suggestions??
Dude-
This set is microprocessor controlled in all aspects. Like any computer, they occasionally need a cold reboot. I would recommend you try powering off the set, unplug the power cord from the wall and wait a minute or two before plugging it back in. During that time, press the mulit-function button on the lower left corner of the back (look at it from the front) and holding it in for ~10 sec. That should drain PS capacitors of stored energy as if it would make any difference.

See if that makes your Menu work smoother. If so, just remember your TV is a computer and every now and then it needs a cold reboot. I do that to mine (same set, 8/13 build) whenever the apps or anything gets glitchy and it's smooth sailing afterwards.

hth
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page