Official Samsung PNxxF8500 "Bugs" Thread - Page 19 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #541 of 570 Old 03-23-2015, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Do you power down both the TV and the video source before swapping HDMI ports?

Test the F8500 as thoroughly as possible without the JVC.

I second staying on Samsung, a real challenge.

Sammy most likely has reserved a few F8500's for situations like yours. Make them swap the telly if the 2nd board swap doesn't fix it. The longer you delay the telly swap request, the less likely one will be available.

If you're interested in a working F8500 keep bb as far away from this fiasco as possible and find someone at Samsung who's competent and takes an interest; easy to say.

Good luck.

After 8 calls to Samsung, email of 4 Geek Squad work orders and a Samsung parts invoice for the new main board, they have finally agreed to a replacement--but it has to be handled through the retailer according to what Best Buy has in stock. There are no F8500s held back as replacements. They want me to wait another 7 days to receive two forms via email. I don't want to wait anymore.

I will proceed with a Geek Squad protection plan exchange since BB will move forward on it at this point as GS has been unable to repair it within 30 days.

I'm so sad to lose this TV. It looks like I will get the new 65" Samsung JS9500. It is a VA panel with full array local dimming, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and supports HVEC codecs. It is also HDR compatible do it should play 4k blurays.

Can't believe I have to settle for an LCD. Would have gotten the LG OLED except my husband's viewing habits will kill the TV in no time. He runs it from morning until about 3 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 570 Old 03-23-2015, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsNWarrants View Post
I'd like to remind you of wxman's suggestion to arrange for a Samsung tech other than Geek Squad to resolve this.

Because the problem is A) intermittent and B) definitely related to HDMI handshake, IMO it is doubtful that firmware is going to help.

As wxman said, it is up to Samsung to fix your set under warranty. Zoyd correctly maintains that it is extremely unlikely that two different Main boards have the same prblem. FWIW, wxman and Zoyd have my utmost respect.

PLEASE do not abandon the F8500 before all your options are exhausted.

I guess I should mention we hooked up video with some composite cables to see if we could get a standard def picture through a different input on the TV and it did not work. We got the same "no video signal found" error message. So the problem is broader than just the HDMI inputs.

Any ideas?
post #543 of 570 Old 03-23-2015, 04:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by amydiem View Post
I guess I should mention we hooked up video with some composite cables to see if we could get a standard def picture through a different input on the TV and it did not work. We got the same "no video signal found" error message. So the problem is broader than just the HDMI inputs.

Any ideas?
When you tried the composit cable, was it directly to the display and did you change the input with the remote control?

I know this sounds like a dumb question but if you hooked up composit on a receiver, it probably didn't convert it for he HDMI input.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #544 of 570 Old 03-23-2015, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Seems to be "resetting" turning off the back on again about once every other week now. Before it was every few months. Is this a sign of failing or what?

■ Samsung (PN51F8500)
■ Sony (BDP-S590)
■ Yamaha (RX-V475)
■ Infinity
(Primus)
■ SVS (PB-1000)
SVS (PC12-NSD)
■ PS4□PS3 Slim 120gb□Xbox One
post #545 of 570 Old 03-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Can't believe I have to settle for an LCD.

Disappointing gs couldn't fix it and Sammy didn't offer a more capable local service organization. bb and Sammy seem to have a special relationship that transcends customer satisfaction and the 'no reserve' statement from Sammy sounds fishy. For your aggravation you traded a top of line plasma for tol LCD, so I guess the outcome could have been worse. Takeaway for me is to avoid high priced Sammy products.

Last edited by bmcn; 03-23-2015 at 01:13 PM.
post #546 of 570 Old 03-23-2015, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Takeaway for me is to avoid high priced Sammy products.

I've been increasingly thinking that the takeaway for me is to avoid anyone's high priced products, and assume that whatever you buy will be disposable.

There's been quite a bit of unhappiness about Panasonic in the ZT60 owners thread recently.

And Sony jumped the shark a long time ago.
post #547 of 570 Old 03-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
I've been increasingly thinking that the takeaway for me is to avoid anyone's high priced products, and assume that whatever you buy will be disposable.

There's been quite a bit of unhappiness about Panasonic in the ZT60 owners thread recently.

Agree and in the past haven't been an early adopter, waiting until the 'bugs' are ironed out, but that's more challenging with short product cycles.
post #548 of 570 Old 03-24-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post

Problem is it's just not Samsung. Look at issues with Vizio, Sony, LG, Sharp, Panasonic, etc on this forum. Tons of complaints from poor screens, rising blacks, clouding, poor CS, failures, etc. Just google any of those companies and add the word sucks after it, and you will see a lot of complaints. Most of these companies are losing money making tv's. Quality tends to suffer when that happens.
post #549 of 570 Old 03-24-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
When you tried the composit cable, was it directly to the display and did you change the input with the remote control?

I know this sounds like a dumb question but if you hooked up composit on a receiver, it probably didn't convert it for he HDMI input.
Yes, it was cabled directly from the satellite receiver to the TV using composite cables. And yes, the correct input on the TV was selected.
post #550 of 570 Old 03-24-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Disappointing gs couldn't fix it and Sammy didn't offer a more capable local service organization. bb and Sammy seem to have a special relationship that transcends customer satisfaction and the 'no reserve' statement from Sammy sounds fishy. For your aggravation you traded a top of line plasma for tol LCD, so I guess the outcome could have been worse. Takeaway for me is to avoid high priced Sammy products.

The outcome is worse because I have to pay the difference between the $2499 credit on the F8500 and the $5999 price on the JS9500 which amounts to $3710.

I also found Samsung's customer service to be incompetent. They couldn't handle the volume of GS work orders I emailed and parts/shipping invoices. They lost emails and made decisions based upon an incomplete understanding--they initially set me up for a repair stating the GS work order (the first of four) stated that the technician could not observe the problem. Conveniently, they lost the last work order which stated the TV was a lemon and that they recommended replacing it. The closed it out after offering a service call for a repair which forced me to have to start all over again with customer service. Shoot me now. After they reopened the case with a new reference number, the agent told me I had been approved for a replacement TV on Mar 19. Yesterday, I got an email with the new reference number indicating a repair was approved!! Very incompetent and no one takes the time to do their job.

I'm moving forward under the GS warranty at this point as at least the store knows the procedure to follow. The hassle with Samsung service was just too much.
post #551 of 570 Old 03-24-2015, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The outcome is worse because I have to pay the difference between the $2499 credit on the F8500 and the $5999 price on the JS9500 which amounts to $3710.

I also found Samsung's customer service to be incompetent. They couldn't handle the volume of GS work orders I emailed and parts/shipping invoices. They lost emails and made decisions based upon an incomplete understanding--they initially set me up for a repair stating the GS work order (the first of four) stated that the technician could not observe the problem. Conveniently, they lost the last work order which stated the TV was a lemon and that they recommended replacing it. The closed it out after offering a service call for a repair which forced me to have to start all over again with customer service. Shoot me now. After they reopened the case with a new reference number, the agent told me I had been approved for a replacement TV on Mar 19. Yesterday, I got an email with the new reference number indicating a repair was approved!! Very incompetent and no one takes the time to do their job.

I'm moving forward under the GS warranty at this point as at least the store knows the procedure to follow. The hassle with Samsung service was just too much.

Sounds bad,
post #552 of 570 Old 03-24-2015, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
...snip...

Do these other warranties even come into effect if the original manufacturer's warranty is still running?

Personally, I think manufacturer's do this on purpose to wear you down. They figure they can outlast you and save the cost of repairing or replacing the display. Just out of principle, I'd want to hold their feet to the fire. Unfortunately, principles cost financially as well as emotionally.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #553 of 570 Old 03-25-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I also found Samsung's customer service to be incompetent.
What annoys me most is that your set worked for some 3 months (Dec thru Feb). That means to me that there is a defect in the hardware and that the defect occurred at a "normal" time IE the first ~60 days of service of an electronic device. Thus, GS is incompetent because they thought firmware might fix it and Samsung is clearly responsible for sending a competent tech to your home to fix the issue. You know how to recreate the problem for him - send a Blu-Ray source and then switch to "Watch TV"...

This whole thing BLOWS.

Last edited by WantsNWarrants; 03-25-2015 at 10:59 AM.
post #554 of 570 Old 03-25-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What annoys me most is that your set worked for some 3 months (Dec thru Feb). That means to me that there is a defect in the hardware and that the defect occurred at a "normal" time IE the first ~60 days of service of an electronic device. Thus, GS is incompetent because they thought firmware might fix it and Samsung is clearly responsible for sending a competent tech to your home to fix the issue. You know how to recreate the problem for him - send a Blu-Ray source and then switch to "Watch TV"...

This whole thing BLOWS.
I agree 100%. Not only did they not fix this tv which was still under the manufacturer's 1 year warranty, but she had to pay BB another $3700 for a replacement tv.
post #555 of 570 Old 03-25-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I agree 100%. Not only did they not fix this tv which was still under the manufacturer's 1 year warranty, but she had to pay BB another $3700 for a replacement tv.
I don't know if Amy has "jumped" yet or not, but I wonder if an Evolution Kit might fix the 8500? I think the Evo replaces the main board. wxman what do you think?
post #556 of 570 Old 03-25-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't know if Amy has "jumped" yet or not, but I wonder if an Evolution Kit might fix the 8500? I think the Evo replaces the main board. wxman what do you think?
I'm not sure if the new evo kit would fix the issue, especially if it's an HDMI board issue. I don't know enough about the evo kit to know what it does.
post #557 of 570 Old 03-25-2015, 02:23 PM

It's sad but I happened to get a video signal Sunday night after turning it on 6-7 times. We are now running it nonstop. It has not been shut off since we turned it on 3 days ago and will likely not be shut off until it is picked up by BB on Saturday when they bring out the new JS9500. I feel like I am destroying the TV. I guess it doesn't matter anymore. Even Samsung has seemingly given up on it. I called again today and the rep said I'm definitely approved for an exchsnge but through my retailer (BB) and limited to whatever inventory they have--in other words, a replacement TV will not come directly from Samsung from their stock. It ends the idea that they may have held back a few F8500s for problems like mine.
post #558 of 570 Old 03-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's sad but I happened to get a video signal Sunday night after turning it on 6-7 times. We are now running it nonstop. It has not been shut off since we turned it on 3 days ago and will likely not be shut off until it is picked up by BB on Saturday when they bring out the new JS9500. I feel like I am destroying the TV. I guess it doesn't matter anymore. Even Samsung has seemingly given up on it. I called again today and the rep said I'm definitely approved for an exchsnge but through my retailer (BB) and limited to whatever inventory they have--in other words, a replacement TV will not come directly from Samsung from their stock. It ends the idea that they may have held back a few F8500s for problems like mine.
Seems odd you would pay an additional $3,700, less tax, to the two organizations that screwed your pooch.

Last edited by bmcn; 03-25-2015 at 03:39 PM.
post #559 of 570 Old 03-25-2015, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Seems odd you would pay an additional $3,700, less tax, to the two organizations that screwed your pooch.
Poor CS by Samsung. Apparently they no longer want to fix the tv's under warranty and rather have you exchange it for whatever Samsung tv the retailer you bought it from has in stock. I guess when they said they were getting out of plasma, they really meant it. I'm sure if the tv wasn't under warranty, they would have been more than happy to charge an arm and a leg to fix it. In their mind, why give the parts and labor away for free, when there are plenty of tv's now past warranty that will need parts that they can charge the customer more money.
post #560 of 570 Old 03-25-2015, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Poor CS by Samsung. Apparently they no longer want to fix the tv's under warranty and rather have you exchange it for whatever Samsung tv the retailer you bought it from has in stock. I guess when they said they were getting out of plasma, they really meant it. I'm sure if the tv wasn't under warranty, they would have been more than happy to charge an arm and a leg to fix it. In their mind, why give the parts and labor away for free, when there are plenty of tv's now past warranty that will need parts that they can charge the customer more money.
That seems plausible; Sammy doesn't provide free parts for the warranty repair and bb sells a higher priced (>2x) item with presumably higher margin at the end of the quarter. A win/win as they say....

Someone's going to be happy with that F8500 after its repaired and resold.

Last edited by bmcn; 03-25-2015 at 05:09 PM.
post #561 of 570 Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
That seems plausible; Sammy doesn't provide free parts for the warranty repair and bb sells a higher priced (>2x) item with presumably higher margin at the end of the quarter. A win/win as they say....

Someone's going to be happy with that F8500 after its repaired and resold.
Yes, it is a win/win for Best Buy and Samsung and a big loss for the consumer who doesn't have many options to select from presently and whose only choices that even remotely come close to the picture quality of the F8500 cost thousands more.

Your last line resonated with me and made me decide to delay the arrival of the new JS9500 by 2 weeks to give me a chance to try to get a "real" repair company out here to try to fix it. I have a local TV repair company picking it up tomorrow to see if they can fix it. I went to BB tonight to change the delivery date of the JS9500 from Saturday to 4/11. We will see if the local company can figure it out.

I too had visions of someone buying my repaired TV after they took it back and it greatly bothered me.

I'm buying time on the exchange and hoping a solution can be found.
post #562 of 570 Old 03-27-2015, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, it is a win/win for Best Buy and Samsung and a big loss for the consumer who doesn't have many options to select from presently and whose only choices that even remotely come close to the picture quality of the F8500 cost thousands more.

Your last line resonated with me and made me decide to delay the arrival of the new JS9500 by 2 weeks to give me a chance to try to get a "real" repair company out here to try to fix it. I have a local TV repair company picking it up tomorrow to see if they can fix it. I went to BB tonight to change the delivery date of the JS9500 from Saturday to 4/11. We will see if the local company can figure it out.

I too had visions of someone buying my repaired TV after they took it back and it greatly bothered me.

I'm buying time on the exchange and hoping a solution can be found.

That finally sounds like a workable plan; good luck and keep us posted.
post #563 of 570 Old 03-27-2015, 04:22 PM

I have a glimmer of hope . . .

The TV repair company moved my 51" F8500 from the bedroom to the family room so we'd have a TV to watch while they were looking at the 64".

As they were driving off with the 64" in their van, I turned the 51" off to see if the universal remote would work with it. I just wanted to test the Harmony to make sure it was still controlling all devices. When I turned on the TV, the 51" that has NEVER had a problem in the bedroom (yep, supply your imagination here . . .) now said NO HDMI signal found!!

Surely, two TVs can't be bad. And then I thought, this may indicate it's not the 64" at all!! But we've done so much troubleshooting already. And then it dawned on me. There is an HDMI cable between the Dish Network receiver to the a/v receiver and I've never changed it out!!

After connecting a Blue Jeans cable, I have a picture on the 51"!!! This may just be the fix.

I'll be turning the 51" on and off all weekend to watch for signal problems.
post #564 of 570 Old 03-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a glimmer of hope . . .

The TV repair company moved my 51" F8500 from the bedroom to the family room so we'd have a TV to watch while they were looking at the 64".

As they were driving off with the 64" in their van, I turned the 51" off to see if the universal remote would work with it. I just wanted to test the Harmony to make sure it was still controlling all devices. When I turned on the TV, the 51" that has NEVER had a problem in the bedroom (yep, supply your imagination here . . .) now said NO HDMI signal found!!

Surely, two TVs can't be bad. And then I thought, this may indicate it's not the 64" at all!! But we've done so much troubleshooting already. And then it dawned on me. There is an HDMI cable between the Dish Network receiver to the a/v receiver and I've never changed it out!!

After connecting a Blue Jeans cable, I have a picture on the 51"!!! This may just be the fix.

I'll be turning the 51" on and off all weekend to watch for signal problems.
Hope for the best....

Last edited by bmcn; 03-29-2015 at 06:16 PM.
post #565 of 570 Old 03-28-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I turned the 51" off to see if the universal remote would work with it. I just wanted to test the Harmony to make sure it was still controlling all devices. When I turned on the TV, the 51" that has NEVER had a problem in the bedroom (yep, supply your imagination here . . .) now said NO HDMI signal found!!

No, the cable is not going to fix your F8500 because directly connecting "video sources (Dish receiver, Oppo bluray, and laptop)" (per
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 "Bugs" Thread) as well as "with some composite cables" (per Official Samsung PNxxF8500 "Bugs" Thread) all failed.

So we pray that your tech finds and fixes the 64" set's problem(s).

Last edited by WantsNWarrants; 03-28-2015 at 02:11 PM.
post #566 of 570 Old 03-30-2015, 02:47 PM

Samsung Approves Exchange of F8500 for JS9500

Quote:

Here's interesting news! The Samsung Refund/Exchange Department just called me and they have approved me for an exchange. No, there are no F8500s left to replace my TV with. However, unlike Best Buy, which is giving me a credit for my TV for $2499 and applying it to the purchase of a Samsung JS9500 (which requires an out of pocket of $3710 including tax as the JS 9500 is $5999), Samsung is giving me the JS9500 as the exchange--no out of pocket anything!!!

What does the group say? Does anyone know anything about the JS9500? Is it worth having? And if I have been a plasma owner always, will I be happy with it? Early reviews look promising on the set so far. It does support HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, 4K, HEVC, and HDR. I know this is not a JS9500 thread, but I just had to share the news, and ask for opinions on the exchange set.
post #567 of 570 Old 03-30-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here's interesting news! The Samsung Refund/Exchange Department just called me and they have approved me for an exchange. No, there are no F8500s left to replace my TV with. However, unlike Best Buy, which is giving me a credit for my TV for $2499 and applying it to the purchase of a Samsung JS9500 (which requires an out of pocket of $3710 including tax as the JS 9500 is $5999), Samsung is giving me the JS9500 as the exchange--no out of pocket anything!!!

What does the group say? Does anyone know anything about the JS9500? Is it worth having? And if I have been a plasma owner always, will I be happy with it? Early reviews look promising on the set so far. It does support HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, 4K, HEVC, and HDR. I know this is not a JS9500 thread, but I just had to share the news, and ask for opinions on the exchange set.
The JS9500 is a curved screen, so I don't know how appealing that is to you. Chad B, one of the top calibrators on this forum, is going to post his review on this tv very soon. Hopefully in the next few days. I would look for his report to help you make the decision. You will probably find a link to that review here Samsung JS9500 owners thread

I personally don't know much about that tv, so I can't give any opinion.
post #568 of 570 Old 03-30-2015, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like Samsung unearthed the missing lemon paperwork and the win/win is now in your favor. I'd wait until the local repair people diagnose the F8500 and as wx suggests research the JS9500 in the interim. fwiw, everything I've read about the curved screen is it's gimmicky; take a look at one at a BestBuy and form your own opinion. Congratulations, you won.
post #569 of 570 Old 03-30-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 651
I am hoping to have the review up tomorrow night.

sent from my mobile device - HDTVbyChadB.com
wxman and I WANT MORE like this.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 55EC9300, Marantz AV7702, Samsung UN65JS9500
Copied settings measured, LG OLED calibration tips, Review index and rankings
post #570 of 570 Unread Today, 12:18 PM

That DAMN banner

The IP to block has changed to 23.6.182.164 (an IP in akamaitechnologies.com).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page