Official Samsung PNxxF8500 "Bugs" Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2015, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 43
That DAMN banner

The IP to block has changed to 23.6.182.164 (an IP in akamaitechnologies.com).

Sneaky devils; an additional IP this evening (both accessed a few minutes ago) 184.30.231.46 (also akamaitechnologies.com).

Update 3 April 2015:
Now there are 3 (count 'em, THREE) IPs that send the notification banner. Add 184.85.72.138 (the original IP I posted when the banner first appeared) to your block list.

Last edited by WantsNWarrants; 04-03-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2015, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So, about 2 weeks ago, I upgraded to firmware 1207. Ever since, 4 minutes and 22 seconds after turning on my 51" F8500, the source changes from HDMI 1 to "TV". I have done a Smart Hub reset, a Service Menu reset, and a Factory Service Menu reset, to no avail. It HAS to be the 1207 firmware update which has caused the problem; this has occurred every time I have turned the television on since running the update. I have contacted Samsung, who told me to take the batteries out of the remote, try a new HDMI cable, plug a DVD/Blueray player into HDMI 1, and finally to do a reset from the Support -> Self Diagnosis Menu. None of these has worked; like clockwork, 4 minutes and 22 seconds after turning on the television, the input changes itself to "TV". Samsung now wants me to setup a Service call. The problem is that their warranty information shows that my warranty has expired; it does not show the 3 month extension they gave me, which expires in June. I thought I would try this forum before getting into a pissing match with Samsung and having them send out a Service Technician; the issue doesn't seem like a hardware issue. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please let me know.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by mome_rath View Post
So, about 2 weeks ago, I upgraded to firmware 1207. Ever since, 4 minutes and 22 seconds after turning on my 51" F8500, the source changes from HDMI 1 to "TV". I have done a Smart Hub reset, a Service Menu reset, and a Factory Service Menu reset, to no avail. It HAS to be the 1207 firmware update which has caused the problem; this has occurred every time I have turned the television on since running the update. I have contacted Samsung, who told me to take the batteries out of the remote, try a new HDMI cable, plug a DVD/Blueray player into HDMI 1, and finally to do a reset from the Support -> Self Diagnosis Menu. None of these has worked; like clockwork, 4 minutes and 22 seconds after turning on the television, the input changes itself to "TV". Samsung now wants me to setup a Service call. The problem is that their warranty information shows that my warranty has expired; it does not show the 3 month extension they gave me, which expires in June. I thought I would try this forum before getting into a pissing match with Samsung and having them send out a Service Technician; the issue doesn't seem like a hardware issue. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please let me know.
Do you have anything connected to HDMI 1? If you do and it's not a stb, try this. You should generally try and have something connected to HDMI 1 as your first choice. And if it's not a stb, then follow instructions. ftp://andthatsjazz.org/pub/avshd709/RemoveSTB
Old 05-13-2015, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Have you tried unplugging your TV power cord from the outlet and after a few minutes reconnect it? In the past, this has helped with some other issues others were having when nothing else worked.

In order to eliminate any of your devices having control over the TV, unplug all your HDMI devices and turn off HDMI control and see if you still get this behavior at the 4 minute and 22 second mark.

Are you using a universal remote like a Harmony that may have bad code in it?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Do you have anything connected to HDMI 1? If you do and it's not a stb, try this. You should generally try and have something connected to HDMI 1 as your first choice. And if it's not a stb, then follow instructions. ftp://andthatsjazz.org/pub/avshd709/RemoveSTB
HDMI 1 is my AT&T STB. I have run through setup multiple times (both after resets, and without resetting, through Menu -> System -> SETUP; as well as running through Smart Features -> On TV Settings -> On TV Setup). Channel Source is set to Set-top box; Source is set to HDMI1 (STB):AT&T.
When I turn on the TV, it defaults to the HDMI 1 input and the AT&T box (after turning Smart Features -> On TV Settings -> Auto Start = Off to disable the Smart Hub from booting). After 4 minutes and 22 seconds, the input changes source to "TV", as though I had a coax cable connected. This ALWAYS happens, since updating to firmware 1207. If I turn on the TV, and 2 minutes later change to HDMI 2 or 4, then 2 minutes and 22 seconds later the TV changes the input to "TV". I had assumed this was a more common issue; I use a wired connection to update the TV, so the update file should not have been corrupted.
--> I removed the STB per your instructions, and with no STB installed on HDMI 1 cycled the TV. After 4:22, the "TV" input came up again. But, at least I was able to re-install my AV Receiver; for some reason Setup is skipping that step. After re-installing the STB, 4:22 later... I've gone through all the settings 3+ times, and am at a loss. If anyone has any ideas, please help.
Thanks.

Edit - I am using the Smart Touch remote that came with the TV, as well as the regular remote which took 3 months of bugging Samsung in order to get. Per Samsung, I have tried removing the batteries of first one, then the other, then both just for the hell of it. The issue still occurs, so it is not one of the remotes sending an unwanted signal.
Unplugged Television for 10 minutes; no go.
Unplugged HDMI 2,3,4; no go.

Last edited by mome_rath; 05-13-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
mome_rath,

I own both the 51" and 64" model and they both started switching back to the TV input at 4m22s within the last month I would say. My 64" model was on wireless and firmware 1206 and my 51" is on wired with 1207. I recently ran through the gamut of troubleshooting, upgrading, unplugging, resettings etc to no avail. This happens on both tv's regardless of source, htpc, ps3, even netflix smart hub app.

edit: I run OTA TV on both, no cable.
videoaddikt likes this.

Last edited by shaftja; 05-14-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My 51 frequently exhibits a video dropout a few minutes after turning it on. The sound is not affected. It looses it for maybe a second and then it is there again and a banner drops down for a coupe of seconds confirming the connection. It never occurs again as long as the display is still powered on. Thank goodness the input never switches to another input. (Not yet!)

mfg. date: Nov 2014

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva UMC200, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung BD-H5900 BluRay, Dish Hopper, Furman Elite pf-15 conditioner, Dali Ikon (Ikon6, Vokal2, OnWalls) Outlaw Audio LFM-EX subwoofer.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post
My 51 frequently exhibits a video dropout a few minutes after turning it on. The sound is not affected. It looses it for maybe a second and then it is there again and a banner drops down for a coupe of seconds confirming the connection. It never occurs again as long as the display is still powered on. Thank goodness the input never switches to another input. (Not yet!)

My 60" Nov 2014 does that as well but not very often.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

My 64 does that too. December 2013 build. About 6 minutes after initial startup screen goes blank for a second and then reappears. Does that with my DirecTV box connected to HDMI 1. Never switches input. It a handshake issue with my directv box. Doesn't do that with any other device connected to tv.

Last edited by wxman; 05-14-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
HDMI 1 is my AT&T STB. I have run through setup multiple times (both after resets, and without resetting, through Menu -> System -> SETUP; as well as running through Smart Features -> On TV Settings -> On TV Setup). Channel Source is set to Set-top box; Source is set to HDMI1 (STB):AT&T.
When I turn on the TV, it defaults to the HDMI 1 input and the AT&T box (after turning Smart Features -> On TV Settings -> Auto Start = Off to disable the Smart Hub from booting). After 4 minutes and 22 seconds, the input changes source to "TV", as though I had a coax cable connected. This ALWAYS happens, since updating to firmware 1207. If I turn on the TV, and 2 minutes later change to HDMI 2 or 4, then 2 minutes and 22 seconds later the TV changes the input to "TV". I had assumed this was a more common issue; I use a wired connection to update the TV, so the update file should not have been corrupted.
--> I removed the STB per your instructions, and with no STB installed on HDMI 1 cycled the TV. After 4:22, the "TV" input came up again. But, at least I was able to re-install my AV Receiver; for some reason Setup is skipping that step. After re-installing the STB, 4:22 later... I've gone through all the settings 3+ times, and am at a loss. If anyone has any ideas, please help.
Thanks.

Edit - I am using the Smart Touch remote that came with the TV, as well as the regular remote which took 3 months of bugging Samsung in order to get. Per Samsung, I have tried removing the batteries of first one, then the other, then both just for the hell of it. The issue still occurs, so it is not one of the remotes sending an unwanted signal.
Unplugged Television for 10 minutes; no go.
Unplugged HDMI 2,3,4; no go.
Are you connecting your STB box first to A/V and then from A/V to tv into HDMI 1? If so, disconnect A/V from tv completely and only connect stb to tv via HDMI 1.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Are you connecting your STB box first to A/V and then from A/V to tv into HDMI 1? If so, disconnect A/V from tv completely and only connect stb to tv via HDMI 1.

My Set Top Box (AT&T /Cisco ISB7005) is connected directly to HDMI 1. My AV Receiver (Samsung HW-F450) is connected through HDMI 3.
My 51" F8500 was manufactured May, 2013.

outgrabe
Old 05-14-2015, 09:52 PM

I unplugged everything from the back of the TV (except my optical cable, which is stuck); and powered up. HDMI 1 did NOT change to the TV antenna input at 4m22s. Plugged in only HDMI 1 (ATT box), did NOT change at 4m22s. I am slowly plugging in one thing at a time, and testing.

With HDMI 1 (AT&T STB) and HDMI 3 (AV Receiver w/Anynet+) plugged in (as well as optical), I am NOT having the issue. IR Blaster is OK as well.

LAN cable is NOT OK. With the LAN cable plugged in, the TV changed inputs at 4 minutes, 22 seconds.

Plugged everything except for the LAN cable back in. No issues with changing inputs. So, this has something to do with the LAN cable, or settings. Come to think of it, the Network settings are the ONLY things that are not affected by any of the Factory or Service Menu resets... The Smart Hub reset does not reset the LAN connection either...

I have 3 LAN cables run to the area; PS3, PS4, and television. Tried another cable (different port on switch, same IP, DNS, etc.); same issue with all 3 cables...

I have changed the Network Connection to wireless, and am having the issue over the wireless connection as well. I have a Linksys E2500 router; tomorrow I will try to update firmware, and try to see what is happening at 4:22. For the time being, the TV works correctly, as long as I do not connect it to the internet.

Shaftja - Try unplugging / removing your internet connection. What type of router are you running? I have a feeling it may have something to do with firmware 1207 misinterpreting router signals... The only "sin" I can think of is that I did NOT agree to the Motion/Voice/Yahoo crap; maybe it had something to do with that and running the 1207 update. I manually updated to the 1207 firmware; the issue occurred immediately after rebooting the TV. Have you contacted Samsung regarding this issue?

outgrabe
Old 05-15-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Shaftja - Try unplugging / removing your internet connection. What type of router are you running? I have a feeling it may have something to do with firmware 1207 misinterpreting router signals... The only "sin" I can think of is that I did NOT agree to the Motion/Voice/Yahoo crap; maybe it had something to do with that and running the 1207 update. I manually updated to the 1207 firmware; the issue occurred immediately after rebooting the TV. Have you contacted Samsung regarding this issue?
I can confirm disconnecting the network fixed the issues on both my TV's. Both wired and wireless.

I have a Linksys E4200 router and it hasn't been touched since I bought the TV's so I doubt that is the issue.

Could it be related to Samsung shutting down some of their services? I seem to remember getting a few notifications about signature services being shut off. Maybe someone screwed up something on the back end?

Remember this starting happening on both my 64" fw1206 and 51" fw1207 so I'm not convinced that 1207 is the culprit.

I haven't contacted Samsung yet as I assumed it wasn't hardware related since it happened to both my tv's. I'm already upset I reset my calibrated tv and it didn't fix anything.
I'm glad the problem has been somewhat isolated but its not really a fix for anyone who uses the smart hub apps (me).
Old 05-15-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftja View Post
I can confirm disconnecting the network fixed the issues on both my TV's. Both wired and wireless.

Could it be related to Samsung shutting down some of their services? I seem to remember getting a few notifications about signature services being shut off. Maybe someone screwed up something on the back end?
Yes; or more likely the television making an invalid request to some type of service. I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue for the past hour or so; the only problem is, I am no longer having this issue. As of this evening, both my wired and wireless connections work perfectly. And since I cannot troubleshoot an issue that no longer exists...
Are you still having this issue? Everything seems perfectly back to normal on my end... (Knock on wood...)

outgrabe

Last edited by mome_rath; 05-15-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Yes; or more likely the television making an invalid request to some type of service. I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue for the past hour or so; the only problem is, I am no longer having this issue. As of this evening, both my wired and wireless connections work perfectly. And since I cannot troubleshoot an issue that no longer exists...
Are you still having this issue? Everything seems perfectly back to normal on my end... (Knock on wood...)
Yes, when I reconnect to the network the problem returns.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, when I reconnect to the network the problem returns.
On Thursday night, I disconnected the wireless connection (under Network Status), set Network Settings -> Network type to Wired, and unplugged the LAN cable. I left the cable unplugged from about midnight until about 7 PM the next evening. When I plugged the cable back in to test, I did not switch inputs at 4:22. I changed to a wireless connection, turned the TV off and back on, and everything was back to normal. The TV's network card may be holding some bad settings, or having some type of problem with the automatic update settings. Try disconnecting from the network entirely overnight, and see if that doesn't fix the issue for you as well.

Edit - Make sure your IP Address (etc.) is zeroed out before unplugging.

Last edited by mome_rath; 05-21-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
On Thursday night, I disconnected the wireless connection (under Network Status), set Network Settings -> Network type to Wired, and unplugged the LAN cable. I left the cable unplugged from about midnight until about 7 PM the next evening. When I plugged the cable back in to test, I did not switch inputs at 4:22. I changed to a wireless connection, turned the TV off and back on, and everything was back to normal. The TV's network card may be holding some bad settings, or having some type of problem with the automatic update settings. Try disconnecting from the network entirely overnight, and see if that doesn't fix the issue for you as well.

Edit - Make sure your IP Address (etc.) is zeroed out before unplugging.
Thanks,
I tried all those things multiple ways for days and nothing fixed it.

What finally fixed it for me and then I confirmed it on my second tv was going into settings>network>device name and changing it to something else (bedroom tv etc..). Restarted the tv and everything seems back to normal.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks,
I tried all those things multiple ways for days and nothing fixed it.

What finally fixed it for me and then I confirmed it on my second tv was going into settings>network>device name and changing it to something else (bedroom tv etc..). Restarted the tv and everything seems back to normal.
Doh! Forgot to mention that I reset the Network Device Name as well... Sorry about that... At least you figured it out!

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv