Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 76 Old 02-23-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman69 View Post

Update, I am one of the unlucky few that had my ZT 65 worked on and the back panel not put back on correctly, and it has developed microfractures. I contacted Panasonic on Jan 31 2014 they gave me a case number and told me to send pictures, which I did. I emailed them pictures again on Feb 9 2014 when they did not respond. They finally contacted me on Feb 19, 2014, their reply was documents received and forwarded to proper department for review. So at least the ball is rolling so to speak, still trying to figure out what my next tv is going to be. I might try to see if they will exchange my ZT 65 for their new 4k led my thought is their best tv from 2013 for their best tv from 2014

I updated your case with the new info you provided. Thanks. I'm curious to see what Panasonic's decision will be after they review the pictures...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 76 Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well Panasonic finally emailed me back on my 65ZT60 microfractures pictures that I sent them. " Pictures received not consistent with manufacturing defect, not covered by warranty". I guess they want to do this the hard way. Time to make a call
post #33 of 76 Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Yikes...
post #34 of 76 Old 03-03-2014, 02:37 PM

So I called Panasonic they said it was not covered by warranty because I noticed the microfracture after 30 days of repair. Talked to a supervisor, explained how I knew the fractures were caused by the repair, (three screws on the back panel with the "bumps" meaning the back panel was not aligned properly in the bezel groves, with the cracks across from the bumps) he was nice and was going to run it through service, should know in a couple of days. Wish me luck, looks like they might have an way out !
post #35 of 76 Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man, this sucks! Good luck with your negotiations. Keep us posted.
post #36 of 76 Old 03-03-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Well Panasonic finally emailed me back on my 65ZT60 microfractures pictures that I sent them. " Pictures received not consistent with manufacturing defect, not covered by warranty". I guess they want to do this the hard way. Time to make a call

I would demand they send someone to look at the TV. You had no cracks before they completed the fan fix. Obviously the service rep didn't get the memo, or if he did he didn't follow the script. If they take your TV, take good pictures to document the ridges. And I would be very hesitant to give the set to the same company that blew the repair. You should prevail in this matter.
post #37 of 76 Old 03-04-2014, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Garman69: I am asking out of curiosity only - so I apologize if this is a diversion. What sort of consumer protection law, may I ask, do you have where you are?

You mention the warranty, but here in the UK the warranty is almost an irrelevance because our Sales of Goods Act (and later legislation) provides stronger protection than most warranties. (The downside, though, is that we pay more.)
post #38 of 76 Old 03-24-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So I called Panasonic they said it was not covered by warranty because I noticed the microfracture after 30 days of repair. Talked to a supervisor, explained how I knew the fractures were caused by the repair, (three screws on the back panel with the "bumps" meaning the back panel was not aligned properly in the bezel groves, with the cracks across from the bumps) he was nice and was going to run it through service, should know in a couple of days. Wish me luck, looks like they might have an way out !

Any updates?
post #39 of 76 Old 03-25-2014, 02:27 PM

Not much new, about two weeks ago I sent an email that told them that I was not pleased with their response and I wanted someone to come look at my 65ZT60, they replied that my case was in the "Relevant Dept" and they would be in touch. So here we are. I will let them take their time, as long as the outcome is fair
post #40 of 76 Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

Not much new, about two weeks ago I sent an email that told them that I was not pleased with their response and I wanted someone to come look at my 65ZT60, they replied that my case was in the "Relevant Dept" and they would be in touch. So here we are. I will let them take their time, as long as the outcome is fair

I would not let them take their time. As time goes on, it's less likely that they'll have a replacement panel available. They're probably hoping you'll just give up. Two weeks waiting for a reply is unacceptable in my book.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #41 of 76 Old 03-25-2014, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I would not let them take their time. As time goes on, it's less likely that they'll have a replacement panel available. They're probably hoping you'll just give up. Two weeks waiting for a reply is unacceptable in my book.

Agree. I think waiting that long for a reply is waiting too long. Of course, I don't know what your options are at this point other than keep bugging them and well, wait for a reply. Regarding a replacement, I'm not sure Panasonic has any units to be used for replacement even now (AVJ said Panasonic doesn't keep inventory for this purpose after cessation of production), so that's kind of a moot point.
post #42 of 76 Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 PM

I would be calling and emailing anybody and everybody at Panasonic and make myself a nuisance. How they can deny your claim because you called them 30 days after the repairs were made is beyond me. Where in their warranty does it say you only have 30 days to report a problem when their tech screwed up and damaged your TV? Call 8 on Your Side or whatever their called in your area. I'm sure you'll eventually get reimburse for the cost of the TV. But you'll have to fight them for it.
post #43 of 76 Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Anything?
post #44 of 76 Old 05-01-2014, 04:07 PM

So after 2 months of fighting with Panasonic they say my microfractures are not covered. Its a cracked screen not covered. They want me to go after the repair shop. Since Panasonic was the ones who sent them to my house for my warranty work, I argued its on them, lets just say they didn't see it my way. Anyway the repair shop is coming over tomorrow to look at my 65" ZT60, and I'm sure i'll hear cracked screen not covered. Refresher, I had the hdmi board replaced and the fan fix at the same time, anyway my back was not installed correctly and it caused a bunch of microfractures. With about 95 percent of the microfractures directly behind where the back was not installed in the bezel correctly, giving a 5 inch wavy top edge. It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse and I can only see the fractures on bright scenes. Saga goes on.
post #45 of 76 Old 05-01-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:

So after 2 months of fighting with Panasonic they say my microfractures are not covered. Its a cracked screen not covered. They want me to go after the repair shop. Since Panasonic was the ones who sent them to my house for my warranty work, I argued its on them, lets just say they didn't see it my way. Anyway the repair shop is coming over tomorrow to look at my 65" ZT60, and I'm sure i'll hear cracked screen not covered. Refresher, I had the hdmi board replaced and the fan fix at the same time, anyway my back was not installed correctly and it caused a bunch of microfractures. With about 95 percent of the microfractures directly behind where the back was not installed in the bezel correctly, giving a 5 inch wavy top edge. It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse and I can only see the fractures on bright scenes. Saga goes on.

Don't let them take the TV whatever you do. If it were me, I wouldn't even deal with the repair firm. I would file a small claim suit against Panasonic and the repair firm. Panasonic hired the repair firm. That makes the repair firm Panasonic's Agent. As Panasonic's Agent, they are responsible for improper and faulty repairs made by the firm they hired and sent to fix your TV. You didn't pick or hire the shop, they did! Microfractures may not be covered. But your case is not really about the microfractures. It's about the improper and faulty repairs made by a firm hired by that Panasonic.

The problem you'll have it trying to sue a large Corporation that most likely doesn't have a local entity to serve with your suit. I would be calling and writing their Corporate Office every week and making sure they knew I wasn't going to let this drop. Also put your complaints in writing. And when you do write, put in writing what they need to do to make the situation right. And don't forget Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. Corporations are sensitive about their image. Use that your advantage. But be careful what you say and write. Only speak the truth, be respectful and reasonable. Some Corporations are beginning to pursue people for slander.

Would also contact your state government and inquire if there is an agency that can help. In Florida, we had a Office of Professional Regulation that would assist in these types of problem. And it they couldn't help, they usually could tell you who to contact that could help. And don't forget to inform "9 on your Side" or some other TV station or newspaper that could put pressure on Panasonic.

I'm surprised Panasonic is taking this position. Especially since they have accepted responsibility for other cracked sets. In the past, Panasonic has been pretty good about taking responsibility for their screw ups. But this is starting to sound like the rising blacks problem and their response to that issue.

Good luck.
post #46 of 76 Old 05-02-2014, 03:59 PM

The repairman that " fixed " my zt, came over and looked at it and admitted that Panasonic had sent his company the pictures that I had sent them. He admitted that "he broke my tv" first one in 14 years. I like this guy and feel bad about this but the zt is damaged. He wasn't sure why he was sent to my house because his boss it the one who deals with claims. Panasonic is pushing all this on the repairman's error. He was not happy when I told him how much it cost. 3199.00 ( talked best buy down ) So now we will see what the next step is. I kind of hate to get rid of the zt, I researched this tv from the ces to the live showdown until I purchased it in july. # 000110. This whole thing sucks
post #47 of 76 Old 05-02-2014, 04:55 PM

What I would do (not that you asked, but...): Use that for a downpayment on a 4K OLED (coming in a mere few months) and wash your hands of Panasonic. ;D
post #48 of 76 Old 05-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:

The repairman that " fixed " my zt, came over and looked at it and admitted that Panasonic had sent his company the pictures that I had sent them. He admitted that "he broke my tv" first one in 14 years. I like this guy and feel bad about this but the zt is damaged. He wasn't sure why he was sent to my house because his boss it the one who deals with claims. Panasonic is pushing all this on the repairman's error. He was not happy when I told him how much it cost. 3199.00 ( talked best buy down ) So now we will see what the next step is. I kind of hate to get rid of the zt, I researched this tv from the ces to the live showdown until I purchased it in july. # 000110. This whole thing sucks

That helps your case. And great that he owned up to it. Panasonic really has no recourse other than paying for your TV.
Was he aware of the tech bulletin on how to reinstall the rear cover?
post #49 of 76 Old 05-02-2014, 07:57 PM

no, I actually showed him a photo copy of the fan fix, he had never seen a zt, But Panasonic is not paying for the panel, its on the repairman. He said his company very seldom uses insurance and he might have to pay for my ZT out of pocket. I feel bad for this guy but my panel is ****ed up
post #50 of 76 Old 05-02-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

What I would do (not that you asked, but...): Use that for a downpayment on a 4K OLED (coming in a mere few months) and wash your hands of Panasonic. ;D
I use to love Panasonic, Vinnie but after 3 months of fighting with them, I think I'm done with their products. They fought me the whole time. This coming from a customer with 4 of their products in my home. I don't know about OLED just yet but some of the new 2014 fald's might be worth looking into.
post #51 of 76 Old 05-03-2014, 08:43 AM

It's never fun being treated like a subject by these faceless corporations. Getting one of the FALDs from Toshiba, Sony, or Vizio is another valid option. I am finding that OLED in its current form (Gen 1 big screen TV) has uneven wear characteristics that are *worse* than plasma.

I am still waiting for the local tech to get back to me on the foam fan fix that was ordered (I'll get an update next week...only a month left on my manuf. warranty), but he's been doing this for decades and was already aware of the possibility of damage if the back is not installed properly.
post #52 of 76 Old 05-03-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

It's never fun being treated like a subject by these faceless corporations. Getting one of the FALDs from Toshiba, Sony, or Vizio is another valid option. I am finding that OLED in its current form (Gen 1 big screen TV) has uneven wear characteristics that are *worse* than plasma.

I am still waiting for the local tech to get back to me on the foam fan fix that was ordered (I'll get an update next week...only a month left on my manuf. warranty), but he's been doing this for decades and was already aware of the possibility of damage if the back is not installed properly.
Just be careful, my guy missed on 3 screw locations and he killed mine. I not ready for the OLEDs just yet. I'm hoping that P series is a good one
post #53 of 76 Old 05-03-2014, 09:07 AM

^Ouch. frown.gif

Personally. I just can't imagine "regressing" to a situation where I have to sacrifice my excellent viewing angle and lack of blooming. wink.gif
post #54 of 76 Old 05-04-2014, 08:52 PM

Liked: 99
So I plan on giving Panasonic a call for the fix. Still seems the risk is outweighing the good...especially for Garman69. Did you ever get your issues resolved? As far as refund or did you get the corporate shaft?? Don't want to be out of a TV but worse than that would be Panny refusing to refund me if it does happen. If it breaks ill grab a 8500 as long as they issue refund for it but if not ill have the ZT60 for a while.
post #55 of 76 Old 05-05-2014, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:

no, I actually showed him a photo copy of the fan fix, he had never seen a zt, But Panasonic is not paying for the panel, its on the repairman. He said his company very seldom uses insurance and he might have to pay for my ZT out of pocket. I feel bad for this guy but my panel is ****ed up
Sounds like a shady company. Why would any repairman work for a company that holds them each individually responsible to cover anything they might mess up. With that policy I would not be touching anyone's TV's. Anything can happen when you deal with electronics and that is the whole point in using a company that is fully insured as opposed to some random guy in Craig's list.
post #56 of 76 Old 05-05-2014, 10:55 AM

I'll be surprised if the repair firm issues a payment. But their insurance Co may depending on their deductible. And if their insurance Co does, I hope they subrogate Panasonic to try and recoup some of their cost.
post #57 of 76 Old 05-05-2014, 12:13 PM

Liked: 99
Yea Garmans story is scary..I was calling for the fix today but not after reading all that.
post #58 of 76 Old 05-05-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

Yea Garmans story is scary..I was calling for the fix today but not after reading all that.
Just be there and make sure the back gets put on correctly!
post #59 of 76 Old 05-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The repair company that fixed my set told me that for an authorized servicer dispatched by Panasonic, Panasonic was responsible for any damage done by them (not sure if Panasonic and the servicer's insurance companies work things out in the back end). Hence why Panasonic cut me my check for my microfractured ZT, not the repair company. Now, the service guy swears that the back panel was not installed incorrectly but the set was taken away before I was able to check the back panel myself. So it is possible that my microfractures were not caused by the techs who performed the fan fix/board swap which could be why Panasonic issued the refund. It took me almost 3 months to get the whole deal sorted out too. Just keep following up in a polite fashion (call the service company, not Panasonic - they are uselss) and you'll get your refund. I still can't believe that Panasonic did not have a SINGLE replacement panel available for these sets. I thought it was law that spare parts need to be stocked for 7 years or something like that. Until about a year or so ago, we were still seeing reports of customers getting their Pioneer Kuros replaced/repaired with new-in-box models from factory repair/replacement stock. I know the company was leaving the plasma business but this is just lousy for the consumer.
post #60 of 76 Old 05-06-2014, 09:59 AM

It's becoming abundantly clear that laws were made to be broken by the powerful, the politically well-connected, and the rich and famous. The rest of us just have to take it (and obey). Sorry if that's too political for some, needs to be said.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page