The ZT60 microfracture case log and discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 02-01-2014, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I thought about starting this thread to centralize the information we have about actual cases of microfractures developing on ZT60s. This will hopefully help us keep track of and understand this issue, and know how to better prevent it from happening to our TVs. In here, I'll be providing links to all such cases I come across and will be summarizing any information we have about those cases. If you know of any other cases that aren't logged in here, let me know and I'll add them.

As of May 13, 2014, 6 cases of microfractures have been reported (I'll update date and number if more reports come in). Those are:

1.Case reported by: Phil1975
Reported on : 08/26/13
Link: http://www.avforums.com/threads/the-panasonic-tx-p60zt65b-owners-thread.1777653/page-25; posts # 738, 746, and 748
Foam fix done: yes, with the screen facing down.
Approximate time from repair to appearance of microfractures: 4 days
Hours on TV when microfractures noticed: Unknown
TV build date: Unknown
Outcome: Panel was replaced by the service center that did the foam fix.
Notes: The first use of the pen (see post 748) in a "useful" way that I know of, but unfortunately for a sad cause (to highlight the microfractures)

2. Case reported by: Scrutape
Reported on : 10/26/13
Link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496625/zt60-manufacturing-screen-defect#post_23878397; post #1.
Foam fix done: Unknown. Poster reports receiving the TV with microfractures already set in.
TV build date: Unknown
Outcome: refused delivery

3. Case reported by: Influence
Reported on: 12/11/13
Link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/4860#post_24061048; post # 4879
Foam fix done: Yes. Also had a board replaced.
Approximate time from repair to appearance of microfractures: 11-12 weeks.
Hours on TV when microfractures noticed: 450
TV build date: Unknown. Poster reports having bought the TV in August of 2013.
Outcome: Got a check from Panasonic for "replacement value" on 02/02/14
Notes: Service personnel claim back of TV was installed correctly. Panasonic has asked for TV to be sent to their engineering team for evaluation.

4.Case reported by: kluken
Reported on: 01/14/14
Link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/6630; post # 6638
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/6660; post # 6676
Foam fix done: yes, by owner
Approximate time from repair to appearance of microfractures: 1 week
Hours on TV when microfractures noticed: 350
TV build date: July
Outcome: Owner got refund from Best Buy..
Notes: Microfractures line up directly with screws in the back.

5. Case reported by: vahinghlan
Reported on: 01/17/14
Link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/6900; post # 6904
Foam fix done: yes by authorized 3rd party personnel
Approximate time from repair to appearance of microfractures: 6 weeks
Hours on TV when microfractures noticed: Unknown
TV build date: June
Outcome: Got check from Panasonic for full amount paid on 02/14/14
Notes: TV had 2 separate repairs; fan noise repair done end of November and board replacement for buzzing done mid December.
Owner reports seeing bumps on the back over a couple of screws.

6.Case reported by: Garman69
Reported on : 01/31/14
Link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/8070; post # 8099
Foam fix done: yes
Approximate time from repair to appearance of microfractures: Poster reports having had the foam fix in October, with the TV on the stand.
Hours on TV when microfractures noticed: 670
TV build date: April 2013
Outcome: Panasonic contacted and case# issued. Owner re-sent Panasonic pictures of defect on 02/09/14. On 02/19/14 Panasonic acknowledged receipt of pictures which were "forwarded to proper department for review". Panasonic denied claim saying that cracks are not a manufacturing defect. Read about this ongoing saga starting in post 32 on page 2.
Notes: Poster reports seeing bumps on the back cover that coincide with the locations of the microfractures on the screen.

I'll do my best to keep this log as up-to-date as possible. If you're one of the unfortunate people who've reported having had this issue, please help me update your case if you find any wrong or missing info.

If you've had this issue but have not reported it yet, please help us gather this information by providing me with your case's info and I'll add it to this log.

If you come across any such new cases reported anywhere else, please provide me with a link and I'll add the case to the log.

Here is a relevant service bulletin issued by Panasonic in the UK, detailing how to re-install the back properly to avoid causing microfractures. In my book, this is an official acknowledgment by Panasonic of this issue and its relation to improper servicing of the TV. Pdf for the bulletin provided by MAX1210 on AVForums.

MQMSH0005DG090913REV2_ZT60_ZT65_Panel_Micro_Cracks.pdf 190k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MQMSH0005DG090913REV2_ZT60_ZT65_Panel_Micro_Cracks.pdf (190.2 KB, 92 views)
andrewread likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 02-02-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello, my 65ZT60 build date April 2013, Hours on set 670, Build number A00110, Bought July 14, 2013, Foam fix October 2013, saw microfractures on January 31, 2014. Called Panasonic January 31, 2014, took pictures and emailed, got case #, waiting for reply. Thanks for this thread. Garman
post #3 of 76 Old 02-02-2014, 08:33 AM

My authorized Panasonic repairman must not of received the service bulletin that came out in Sept. What a shame!
post #4 of 76 Old 02-02-2014, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman69 View Post

My authorized Panasonic repairman must not of received the service bulletin that came out in Sept. What a shame!

Indeed... Also, the bulletin was issued in the UK. I'm not aware of a similar bulletin issued for the US despite these reported cases. Talk about a shame...

Thank you for providing the missing info for your case. I've added it to the log. Please let us know when Panasonic finally gets back with you and what transpires.
post #5 of 76 Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by myared View Post

Indeed... Also, the bulletin was issued in the UK. I'm not aware of a similar bulletin issued for the US despite these reported cases. Talk about a shame...

Thank you for providing the missing info for your case. I've added it to the log. Please let us know when Panasonic finally gets back with you and what transpires.

So I wonder how many of these repair people are even trained? mad.gif

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 76 Old 02-02-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

So I wonder how many of these repair people are even trained? mad.gif

I don't know what kind of training it takes to be "certified" by Panasonic, but they surely don't seem to have had whatever training it takes to know how to properly handle the ZT.
post #7 of 76 Old 02-02-2014, 07:37 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know what kind of training it takes to be "certified" by Panasonic, but they surely don't seem to have had whatever training it takes to know how to properly handle the ZT.

So I have a tech coming on Friday to do the fan fix I might ask him if he thinks that will eliminate the noise if not I might just pass and leave it alone, I don't want to risk micro- fractures and loose the plasma. The image it fantastic biggrin.gif

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 76 Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

So I have a tech coming on Friday to do the fan fix I might ask him if he thinks that will eliminate the noise if not I might just pass and leave it alone, I don't want to risk micro- fractures and loose the plasma. The image it fantastic biggrin.gif

I would wait. No way I'll let them touch my ZT at this time. I don't believe Panasonic has actually extended warranty coverage those that have the microfractures problem. I'm sure they will. But there's always a chance they many not. If the fan noise was loud on my panel, I would apply either plunger fix or baffle (as described in the UK AVS Forum site).
post #9 of 76 Old 02-03-2014, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My guess is the tech will have no clue whether the fix works or not and whatever answer he or she gives you would be speculation on their part at best. Judging by reports from those who've had the fix done, the result varies widely from "it did nothing" to "it completely took care of the problem" and everything in between. So, it's really a flip of the coin. Because of that fact, and other factors I mentioned in many other posts, I'm also not going to have the fix done yet. I'm hoping we'll have a "break" in this case with time, with Panasonic figuring out what to do to prevent the microfractures from ever happening. If not, I'll decide right before my one year warranty expires whether the fan noise still bothers me or not. If it does, I might have the fix done then. I hate to put it this way but I'll let others be the guinea pigs for a while longer before I let anyone touch my TV.
post #10 of 76 Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I have some info to add to the first post. Influence did have the foam fix completed (and also had a board replaced). I don't recall how long before he saw the fractures, but it was a matter of a months.
post #11 of 76 Old 02-03-2014, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I have some info to add to the first post. Influence did have the foam fix completed (and also had a board replaced). I don't recall how long before he saw the fractures, but it was a matter of a months.

Info added. Thanks Vinnie. Hey, would you by any chance have a link to the UK forum? I would be interested in asking those guys how many microfracture cases they know of. Maybe we can expand our database...
post #12 of 76 Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Sure, here's the thread where the bulletin was posted: http://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-vt65-fan-noise.1775475/page-40#post-20079677
myared likes this.
post #13 of 76 Old 02-04-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Just added a case from the UK (the first known to be reported anywhere so far, so it sits at number 1 on our list).
post #14 of 76 Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

If you guys look at the service bulletin, in the top right it says "country reported: USA" So does this mean this bulletin was issued due to complaints from US customers or did Panasonic engineering in NJ issue the recall?

Also to update my info on my case:
Fan fix/board swap performed early September 2013. Noticed cracks on December 2nd, so around 11-12 weeks after the fix I saw the cracks appear. Wasn't able to verify if there were bumps in the back before my service guys took the set away.
About 450 hours total on the set when it was taken away.
After 2 months of fighting, I got my check from Panasonic for "replacement value" on 2/2/2014. Was supposed to take delivery of my replacement set from BB on 2/2, but they sold my set out from under me and now there are no more left in the NJ regions. Taking the store's floor display at a discount.

My service guys swear that the back panel was indeed installed correctly. They've still got my set at their shop but Panasonic has asked for it to be sent to their engineering team for evaluation.
post #15 of 76 Old 02-04-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Great info. I've added it to your case. Thanks.

Regarding the bulletin, it is interesting that it says "country reported: USA" while at the same time using the European nomenclature for the "affected models"! Go figure...
post #16 of 76 Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

I would wait. No way I'll let them touch my ZT at this time. I don't believe Panasonic has actually extended warranty coverage those that have the microfractures problem. I'm sure they will. But there's always a chance they many not. If the fan noise was loud on my panel, I would apply either plunger fix or baffle (as described in the UK AVS Forum site).

Plunger! Please I don't think so! What baffle?

My humble Cinema
post #17 of 76 Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 PM

Here's the link to the UK AVFORUMS. Don't have time to search the 42 pages. But if you do, you'll find instructions for creating a paper baffle that purportedly reduces the fan noise. Works like the plunger I suspect.

http://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-vt65-fan-noise.1775475/
post #18 of 76 Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

Also to update my info on my case:
Fan fix/board swap performed early September 2013. Noticed cracks on December 2nd, so around 11-12 weeks after the fix I saw the cracks appear. Wasn't able to verify if there were bumps in the back before my service guys took the set away.
About 450 hours total on the set when it was taken away.
After 2 months of fighting, I got my check from Panasonic for "replacement value" on 2/2/2014. Was supposed to take delivery of my replacement set from BB on 2/2, but they sold my set out from under me and now there are no more left in the NJ regions. Taking the store's floor display at a discount.

My service guys swear that the back panel was indeed installed correctly. They've still got my set at their shop but Panasonic has asked for it to be sent to their engineering team for evaluation.
Glad to hear that you finally got your check. My update is that the Panasonic rep will pickup the ZT60 next Friday, 2/14 and give me the check. I asked him how much the check is for, but it's sealed. I'll let you know what happens next Friday.
post #19 of 76 Old 02-07-2014, 02:12 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

So maybe it was a mistake but I got the fix from Panasonic for the fans I sure hope I don't get micro-fractures, the tech seemed knowledgeable he used to build CRT TVs and services all the brands. I checked to make sure there was no bumps and that it was aligned before putting on any screws. it seems to have helped the fans slightly but I can still hear them when on mute!

I will get the Costco extended warrant for $99

My humble Cinema
post #20 of 76 Old 02-07-2014, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahighland View Post

Glad to hear that you finally got your check. My update is that the Panasonic rep will pickup the ZT60 next Friday, 2/14 and give me the check. I asked him how much the check is for, but it's sealed. I'll let you know what happens next Friday.

Thank you for the update. I've added the info to your case.
post #21 of 76 Old 02-07-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14

looks like i wont be getting my fan fixed, June build

post #22 of 76 Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:

How much did Panasonic give you? I have the Microfractures on my ZT, I have emailed Panasonic twice with case # and pictures of the fractures and of the bumpy back panel. Two weeks and no reply. I will probably call back to press the issue but I'm afraid they will take my ZT away, with no replacement. I researched this display for 6 months before I bought it, I'm sick that a Panasonic repairman ruined my panel. I've been researching new TV's and there might be a couple choices in 2014. All I can say is this sucks!
post #23 of 76 Old 02-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman69 View Post

How much did Panasonic give you? I have the Microfractures on my ZT, I have emailed Panasonic twice with case # and pictures of the fractures and of the bumpy back panel. Two weeks and no reply. I will probably call back to press the issue but I'm afraid they will take my ZT away, with no replacement. I researched this display for 6 months before I bought it, I'm sick that a Panasonic repairman ruined my panel. I've been researching new TV's and there might be a couple choices in 2014. All I can say is this sucks!
I hear ya. Sorry for all the troubles. I know that Influence had a lot of back and forth with Panasonic. I didn't have that much, but I called them every two/three days until they issued the check. Unfortunately, they will not fix your TV, only take it away. And so here's my update...

The Panasonic rep came by to pick up the TV today and drop off the check, which was for the full amount that I paid. So, I guess it's a done deal at this point. One thing that really sucks is that I paid for a professional calibration before I knew about the micro-fractures. mad.gif So, I had to eat that expense. The only good news is that COSTO re-reimbursed me for the extended warranty plan that I purchased for the ZT60.
post #24 of 76 Old 02-14-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:

I hear ya. Sorry for all the troubles. I know that Influence had a lot of back and forth with Panasonic. I didn't have that much, but I called them every two/three days until they issued the check. Unfortunately, they will not fix your TV, only take it away. And so here's my update...

The Panasonic rep came by to pick up the TV today and drop off the check, which was for the full amount that I paid. So, I guess it's a done deal at this point. One thing that really sucks is that I paid for a professional calibration before I knew about the micro-fractures. mad.gif So, I had to eat that expense. The only good news is that COSTO re-reimbursed me for the extended warranty plan that I purchased for the ZT60.
Thanks for the reply, I guess I'm going to have to go the same route, get money back. I just don't know what to replace my ZT with.
post #25 of 76 Old 02-14-2014, 07:30 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ouch $500 down the drain sorry!

My humble Cinema
post #26 of 76 Old 02-15-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

vahighland and Garman69;

I've entered the updated info you provided about your cases. Thanks.
post #27 of 76 Old 02-16-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Ouch $500 down the drain sorry!
Well, it wasn't that much, but still money down the drain. The calibration was $380, but when I originally bought the set from Paul's TV, they subsequently dropped the price by $100 and refunded the difference. Panasonic cut me a check for the original invoice amount. So, it's more like $280. Also, when I bought the Samsung F8500 from Paul's TV, not only did they give me a decent deal, they threw in a Samsung HW-450 sound bar system. I don't need the sound bar, so I'm hoping to sell that for $100 or so to help take the sting out of all this.

I really am disappointed in Panasonic and not just because of my experience with the ZT60. My previous TV was a Panasonic plasma that had the rising black level problem which appeared a year later.
post #28 of 76 Old 02-16-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Well, it wasn't that much, but still money down the drain. The calibration was $380, but when I originally bought the set from Paul's TV, they subsequently dropped the price by $100 and refunded the difference. Panasonic cut me a check for the original invoice amount. So, it's more like $280. Also, when I bought the Samsung F8500 from Paul's TV, not only did they give me a decent deal, they threw in a Samsung HW-450 sound bar system. I don't need the sound bar, so I'm hoping to sell that for $100 or so to help take the sting out of all this.

I really am disappointed in Panasonic and not just because of my experience with the ZT60. My previous TV was a Panasonic plasma that had the rising black level problem which appeared a year later.

But there's fix for those rising blacks. You can reset the TV back to the day you purchased it. I haven't reset my V10 but will eventually.

In you still have the TV, here's the link:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1167339/panasonic-11g-12g-13g-black-levels-have-seemingly-doubled-overnight
post #29 of 76 Old 02-17-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post

But there's fix for those rising blacks. You can reset the TV back to the day you purchased it. I haven't reset my V10 but will eventually.

In you still have the TV, here's the link:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1167339/panasonic-11g-12g-13g-black-levels-have-seemingly-doubled-overnight
I wasn't aware that you could reset the TV. Only thing is that I had it calibrated, so wouldn't the reset lose the calibrated settings? In any case, I already sold the TV.
post #30 of 76 Old 02-23-2014, 12:08 PM

Update, I am one of the unlucky few that had my ZT 65 worked on and the back panel not put back on correctly, and it has developed microfractures. I contacted Panasonic on Jan 31 2014 they gave me a case number and told me to send pictures, which I did. I emailed them pictures again on Feb 9 2014 when they did not respond. They finally contacted me on Feb 19, 2014, their reply was documents received and forwarded to proper department for review. So at least the ball is rolling so to speak, still trying to figure out what my next tv is going to be. I might try to see if they will exchange my ZT 65 for their new 4k led my thought is their best tv from 2013 for their best tv from 2014
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page