Calling all P**S60 Owners! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I recently bought a PN60F5500 plasma because the price was great, but I'm considering moving to A P65S60 for the better blacks and less reflectivity (though I have great control of the light in my living room,) and honestly, the F5500's more comprehensive smart is useless to me (the TV is being used as a HTPC screen.)

Now, the only thing holding me back is the plasma buzz. I know this can vary greatly between sets even in the same model (and also that its a personal preference thing.) I've spent hours in front of both the F5500 and S60 in store, and while I know this is just about the worst environment to get a sense of a TV, the S60 buzz has always struck me as quiet (especially compared to the F5500.)

But for those of you who already own a P60, I need you to tell me what your experience of this has been. Do you find it loud? Quieter than other tvs you've had experience with?

Help me out friends!

P.S.

If you could offer some input on any motion blur you've experience with the set, if there's anything you've noticed. Could you comment on how the P60's strength here stacks up to other plasmas or LED's your familiar with? I've read a few professional answers to this question, but I'm interested in home use personal experience.

I guess one final point (don't they all seem to add up?) How do you find the light output? Like I said I have good control over the lighting, but I'm a little unsure of transitioning to a TV with a max white brightness of almost half what my current set can do. Reflections and all that aside, do you find this a noticeably dim set?
Mastagon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-03-2014, 07:23 PM
KOF
Advanced Member
 
KOF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quiet on mine. The buzz gets louder whenever the ABL gets aggressive, but even then it doesn't really bother me.
Mastagon likes this.
KOF is online now  
Old 02-03-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Only hear the buzz when it is quiet and I am right by the set.


Ian
Mastagon likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
Old 02-03-2014, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

Quiet on mine. The buzz gets louder whenever the ABL gets aggressive, but even then it doesn't really bother me.

I'm not sure if this is ABL, but if you mean the buzz is more audible during bright scenes, then mine is the same. In bright scenes my F5500 gets about a third again as loud.
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Only hear the buzz when it is quiet and I am right by the set.


Ian

I think it might depend on if the room is carpeted, and what furniture there is etc, as these things will absorb some of the sound. Mine is audible most of the time and I don't need to be near the set to hear it, but if there's something going on I have to do a bit of an "auditory searching" to find it.

Thanks for the reply though!
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Keep the input coming!
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also, if you could offer some input on any motion blur you've experience with the set, if there's anything you've noticed. Could you comment on how it stacks up to other plasmas or LED's your familiar with? I've read many answers to this question, but I'm interested in home use personal experience.
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 01:45 AM
KOF
Advanced Member
 
KOF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastagon View Post

I'm not sure if this is ABL, but if you mean the buzz is more audible during bright scenes, then mine is the same. In bright scenes my F5500 gets about a third again as loud.

Yes, that's what I mean. Brighter scenes mean the ABL has to be kicked in to keep overall brightness down. My viewing distance is about a half meter to meter. It's a bedroom TV that's why my viewing distance is short. At such viewing distance, I can hear buzzing but it doesn't really bother me. Once I turn on my desktop PC or Xbox, it gets much harder to actually hear buzzing unless I'm actively looking for it. My previous LG plasma had even less buzzing but both are fine to me. I did come across a couple of nasty buzzers in a Costco and they always were Samsungs. (They sounded more like beehives! Nothing like what I'm experiencing with my Panny!)

I've been using it for 3 months now and I am very happy with mine. Blacks are killer and Bluray movies look organic. Picture is trouble free for most of times.

I do think motion performance is its weakest link. I still can never get over the phosphor trails, and dithering gets heavier with fast motion which is unfortunate as it looks dead clean for most of times. My previous LG plasma was better with motions. It's still great and much better than LCDs that's why I got this in the first place. Five years ago, I returned a Sony LCD because of mediocre motion performance. The S60 is tolerable for me at the least.

Line bleeding could be better as the S60 would have reached perfection in uniformity without it, but again, it doesn't pop up too often, so I'm just nitpicking.

Comparing with my previous LG plasma, the S60 brings out far more dynamic picture that oozes with pop because of superior black and ABL, but the LG did better with scaling with its lower native resolution. (sub 720p) For SD broadcasts, Netflix, and Youtube, I did prefer the LG over my Panny. The Panny is also cleaner, much closer to LCDs in that regard. The LG was a bit dirty with PWM noises. (I liked how LG looked too. It felt organic and analogue-like. Different presentations) The LG handled 30hz judder better though. Maybe it has something to do with its superior motion handling, but I'm extremely disappointed with how 30 fps console games run on the Panny. The judder is too much and overall smoothness is closer to LG IPS. (It's still far better than PVA LCDs)

Comparing with my previous Sony LCD, again, even against LCDs, I find the S60 pops more for low ABL contents. Its black is seriously good. For extremely high ABL contents (like anime for example) , I did prefer the Sony. For movies the Sony felt artificial and too cartoony, nothing natural like my Panny. It didn't look good with DVDs but for some reason, it handled 720p games better than my Panny. (Xbox 360 looks ass on my Panny)

I like mine very much and I will be purchasing Samsung H7000 plasma in the future to complement my S60.
Mastagon likes this.
KOF is online now  
Old 02-04-2014, 06:09 AM
Member
 
jasondjulian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73

In fast pans, I have noticed some motion blurring, but between the scratches on and glare from my glasses, and the fact that its over before i realized what i saw, it doesnt bother me.. the human brain fills in and I dont think i perceive a lot of the issues others mention here.

 

As far as buzzing, I am probably the only person on the forum who has the worst possible content for ABL and buzzing.. my 2yr old monopolizes the new plasma.. and 75% of the content watched has pure white or off white backgrounds.. horrible!  Why would they do that!?  And given that, my set does buzz.. but to hear it, the volume has to be under setting 10 our of MAX.  Or there needs to be a moment where no sound is output at all.. with normal goings on and voices and background music.. its absolutely inaudible.  I also have never actually noticed ABL doing its thing... not once have I seen it ramp down the screen brightness.. I'm not even sure its working.. lol. 

 

With that, overall screen brightness has never been an issue.. I have a 55x65" window on the left wall in the living room, standard 26x40" window on the wall the tv is on.. but to the left as you face it.  No blinds or drapes yet as I just moved in a couple months ago.. so during the day, yeah I get reflections.. but I see reflections on my father in law's 40" Samsung LED LCD as well.. at night, or in the evening.. the S60 is incredible.. absolutely stunning for the cost.

 

I dont play games on my S60, although in the coming year I think my son will be old enough to pull out and hook up the Wii... so we'll see how that goes.  But overall, all other content is wonderful.. even a lot of 480i broadcasts appear near HD from my 9-11' viewing distance.. I dont notice dithering, that or I dont know what to look for.  And I have yet to see any line bleed, and we watch A LOT of animated content where it would be prevalent.  By far the motion handling is the weakest function of the S60.. and its not bad, not great, but not bad.  A fair trade off since i dont care if my movies are in 24fps, 48fps, 60fps, or a million fps.  Although I do enjoy Peter Jackson's use of 48hz filming.. not for everything, or always.. but sometimes. 

 

Other than that, you'd be hard pressed to find a better display with as good of blacks, excellent colors, and sharp picture for the pricepoint.  The samsung F5500 is very very very similar.. but more reflective.. and anything more reflective than the S60 would be a problem for me. Hope that helps.. i will admit though, my experience is mostly with LCDs, other peoples LCDs though.. and the S60 is my first HDTV and only plasma. 

Mastagon likes this.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
jasondjulian is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
This is my second Panasonic plasma. My other set was 2010 model. Motion, dithering, ABL. buzzing.. are all pretty much the same with both these TV's.


Ian
Mastagon likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

Yes, that's what I mean. Brighter scenes mean the ABL has to be kicked in to keep overall brightness down. My viewing distance is about a half meter to meter. It's a bedroom TV that's why my viewing distance is short. At such viewing distance, I can hear buzzing but it doesn't really bother me. Once I turn on my desktop PC or Xbox, it gets much harder to actually hear buzzing unless I'm actively looking for it. My previous LG plasma had even less buzzing but both are fine to me. I did come across a couple of nasty buzzers in a Costco and they always were Samsungs. (They sounded more like beehives! Nothing like what I'm experiencing with my Panny!)

I've been using it for 3 months now and I am very happy with mine. Blacks are killer and Bluray movies look organic. Picture is trouble free for most of times.

I do think motion performance is its weakest link. I still can never get over the phosphor trails, and dithering gets heavier with fast motion which is unfortunate as it looks dead clean for most of times. My previous LG plasma was better with motions. It's still great and much better than LCDs that's why I got this in the first place. Five years ago, I returned a Sony LCD because of mediocre motion performance. The S60 is tolerable for me at the least.

Line bleeding could be better as the S60 would have reached perfection in uniformity without it, but again, it doesn't pop up too often, so I'm just nitpicking.

Comparing with my previous LG plasma, the S60 brings out far more dynamic picture that oozes with pop because of superior black and ABL, but the LG did better with scaling with its lower native resolution. (sub 720p) For SD broadcasts, Netflix, and Youtube, I did prefer the LG over my Panny. The Panny is also cleaner, much closer to LCDs in that regard. The LG was a bit dirty with PWM noises. (I liked how LG looked too. It felt organic and analogue-like. Different presentations) The LG handled 30hz judder better though. Maybe it has something to do with its superior motion handling, but I'm extremely disappointed with how 30 fps console games run on the Panny. The judder is too much and overall smoothness is closer to LG IPS. (It's still far better than PVA LCDs)

Comparing with my previous Sony LCD, again, even against LCDs, I find the S60 pops more for low ABL contents. Its black is seriously good. For extremely high ABL contents (like anime for example) , I did prefer the Sony. For movies the Sony felt artificial and too cartoony, nothing natural like my Panny. It didn't look good with DVDs but for some reason, it handled 720p games better than my Panny. (Xbox 360 looks ass on my Panny)

I like mine very much and I will be purchasing Samsung H7000 plasma in the future to complement my S60.

Awesome. Thanks for that, it was exactly what I was looking for. Compared to how I've felt about the TV in store, your experience has been the same as mine. Those blacks are killer and the contrast they provide gorgeous and lifelike. I watch mostly anime and sci/action movies, so its good to get the firsthand. I wish the decision could be more clearcut, as despite the S60 superiority in this, my F5500 motion is very good. And from what I've seen the difference in reflectivity is slight.
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

This is my second Panasonic plasma. My other set was 2010 model. Motion, dithering, ABL. buzzing.. are all pretty much the same with both these TV's.


Ian

How did you find the quality of these aspects on both sets? Good, fair, excellent ?
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Member
 
jasondjulian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73

I do know that panasonic supposedly has half the failure rate of samsung.. now how that speaks to overall quality is up to the individual I think.. both are very small percentages.  

 

The F5500 IS a very good unit.. I dont think many people would be disappointed with either that, or the S60... if you had to choose. 

Mastagon likes this.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
jasondjulian is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post

In fast pans, I have noticed some motion blurring, but between the scratches on and glare from my glasses, and the fact that its over before i realized what i saw, it doesnt bother me.. the human brain fills in and I dont think i perceive a lot of the issues others mention here.

As far as buzzing, I am probably the only person on the forum who has the worst possible content for ABL and buzzing.. my 2yr old monopolizes the new plasma.. and 75% of the content watched has pure white or off white backgrounds.. horrible!  Why would they do that!?  And given that, my set does buzz.. but to hear it, the volume has to be under setting 10 our of MAX.  Or there needs to be a moment where no sound is output at all.. with normal goings on and voices and background music.. its absolutely inaudible.  I also have never actually noticed ABL doing its thing... not once have I seen it ramp down the screen brightness.. I'm not even sure its working.. lol. 

With that, overall screen brightness has never been an issue.. I have a 55x65" window on the left wall in the living room, standard 26x40" window on the wall the tv is on.. but to the left as you face it.  No blinds or drapes yet as I just moved in a couple months ago.. so during the day, yeah I get reflections.. but I see reflections on my father in law's 40" Samsung LED LCD as well.. at night, or in the evening.. the S60 is incredible.. absolutely stunning for the cost.

I dont play games on my S60, although in the coming year I think my son will be old enough to pull out and hook up the Wii... so we'll see how that goes.  But overall, all other content is wonderful.. even a lot of 480i broadcasts appear near HD from my 9-11' viewing distance.. I dont notice dithering, that or I dont know what to look for.  And I have yet to see any line bleed, and we watch A LOT of animated content where it would be prevalent.  By far the motion handling is the weakest function of the S60.. and its not bad, not great, but not bad.  A fair trade off since i dont care if my movies are in 24fps, 48fps, 60fps, or a million fps.  Although I do enjoy Peter Jackson's use of 48hz filming.. not for everything, or always.. but sometimes. 

Other than that, you'd be hard pressed to find a better display with as good of blacks, excellent colors, and sharp picture for the pricepoint.  The samsung F5500 is very very very similar.. but more reflective.. and anything more reflective than the S60 would be a problem for me. Hope that helps.. i will admit though, my experience is mostly with LCDs, other peoples LCDs though.. and the S60 is my first HDTV and only plasma. 

Cool. Great to hear about the animated content, as I watch a lot of that myself. As far as FPS and 24p and all that, I don't know if I care. Few TVs, or even just plasmas in general, seem to pass the dreaded 24p test well. Reflections are not a huge issue for me, as even with a tv as reflective as the F5500, I get very little reflections in my livingroom.

As far as the similarities between the F5500 and the S60, I'd agree. For a novice like me, it took me a few hours of looking at the screens to notice it at all. For me, the F5500 is more lush as far as color, but the S60 is very rich with those blacks.
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post

I do know that panasonic supposedly has half the failure rate of samsung.. now how that speaks to overall quality is up to the individual I think.. both are very small percentages.  

The F5500 IS a very good unit.. I dont think many people would be disappointed with either that, or the S60... if you had to choose. 

I agree. Its a great unit, and for the price its completely awesome. People make big noise about the 60" being made with the cheaper pentile panel, and while I agree the P60 is a higher quality screen, from a regular viewing distance most people would never notice the difference. I only notice it myself 3 feet from my F5500. And only a crazy person would ever sit that close.

As far as the failure rate, I hadn't read that myself, but I will look into it.
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastagon View Post

How did you find the quality of these aspects on both sets? Good, fair, excellent ?

Both are quality sets, but the 2010 is only a 720p TV. The picture is good, but the S60 blows it away in almost every category.


Ian
Mastagon likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Both are quality sets, but the 2010 is only a 720p TV. The picture is good, but the S60 blows it away in almost every category.


Ian

Cool. After reading all the input, and taking another look in the store today, I think my biggest issue now is just motion blur. I stood in front of the S60 under the store's bright lights for roughly a half our of movie previews and sports videos, and I could only just see some phosphor trails, but I had to really look for it, and then it was only visible to me in a dirt bike stunt video, which featured a lots of pans and obviously lots of motion. But then, I don't know if this was shot in 24p or not...

Its a pain in the ass that I can't have both sets side by side in my home as its really only after having the F5500 in my living room that a get a balanced idea of its strengths and weaknessess for what I need in a TV, where I can play around under my lighting conditions and with my own content testing. In the end, no amount of playing around in store is going to be enough. Too bad the side by side would be impossible as the S60 is on clearance like everywhere...

Thanks for your help so far!
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 PM
KOF
Advanced Member
 
KOF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Both are quality displays so you have to decide based on what you want the most from a display.

The S60 has 700 lines of motion resolution with phosphor trailing and extra dithering. The F5500 has 800 lines of motion resolution without adverse effect, so the F5500 would have been a clear winner even without taking lines of motion resolution into consideration. The F5500 is better with false contouring meaning less line bleeding. Do you find any on your current F5500? But the F5500 also has brightness pop, which IMO is worse than line bleeding and dithering conbined. So, it's more about making a choice between contrast ratio and motion performance. The rest is wash as both displays have different weaknesses. The F5500 is known to handle ABLs better, but I felt the S60's superior black performance does a wonderful job covering its otherwise abysmal ABL, so they're closer in that regard. I normally don't go for eye candy over motion performance, but the S60 does look so good I let it slide.
KOF is online now  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

Both are quality displays so you have to decide based on what you want the most from a display.

The S60 has 700 lines of motion resolution with phosphor trailing and extra dithering. The F5500 has 800 lines of motion resolution without adverse effect, so the F5500 would have been a clear winner even without taking lines of motion resolution into consideration. The F5500 is better with false contouring meaning less line bleeding. Do you find any on your current F5500? But the F5500 also has brightness pop, which IMO is worse than line bleeding and dithering conbined. So, it's more about making a choice between contrast ratio and motion performance. The rest is wash as both displays have different weaknesses. The F5500 is known to handle ABLs better, but I felt the S60's superior black performance does a wonderful job covering its otherwise abysmal ABL, so they're closer in that regard. I normally don't go for eye candy over motion performance, but the S60 does look so good I let it slide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

Both are quality displays so you have to decide based on what you want the most from a display.

The S60 has 700 lines of motion resolution with phosphor trailing and extra dithering. The F5500 has 800 lines of motion resolution without adverse effect, so the F5500 would have been a clear winner even without taking lines of motion resolution into consideration. The F5500 is better with false contouring meaning less line bleeding. Do you find any on your current F5500? But the F5500 also has brightness pop, which IMO is worse than line bleeding and dithering conbined. So, it's more about making a choice between contrast ratio and motion performance. The rest is wash as both displays have different weaknesses. The F5500 is known to handle ABLs better, but I felt the S60's superior black performance does a wonderful job covering its otherwise abysmal ABL, so they're closer in that regard. I normally don't go for eye candy over motion performance, but the S60 does look so good I let it slide.

To my eyes the line bleeding is noticeable, but minor. It is kind of a bitch that in so many ways the sets are very close. And for me, being as inexperienced as I am, it's hard to know if I actually have a preference between better blacks or motion. There's also the fact that I'm probably greedy for a slightly bigger set, And the 65 inch S60 is almost $600 cheaper The than the 64 inch f5500.

Bah. The search continues.

Thanks for your help so far!
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-05-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastagon View Post


To my eyes the line bleeding is noticeable, but minor. It is kind of a bitch that in so many ways the sets are very close. And for me, being as inexperienced as I am, it's hard to know if I actually have a preference between better blacks or motion. There's also the fact that I'm probably greedy for a slightly bigger set, And the 65 inch S60 is almost $600 cheaper The than the 64 inch f5500.

Bah. The search continues.

Thanks for your help so far!


Keep in mind that the Samsung displays suffer from floating blacks. Also, I found raising the panel brightness to mid on the S60 reduces false contouring/posterization.


Ian
Mastagon likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
Old 02-05-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright. think I may just buy the damn s60 and return whichever one I don't like.
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-05-2014, 05:16 PM
KOF
Advanced Member
 
KOF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Good luck with your hunt! And I will be eager to hear your comparison.
KOF is online now  
Old 02-05-2014, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

Good luck with your hunt! And I will be eager to hear your comparison.

A found a place where I can get the P65S60 $500 cheaper than anywhere else at the moment. Hard not to at least give it a whirl... and now to rent a large moving van... smile.gif
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-06-2014, 02:46 AM
KOF
Advanced Member
 
KOF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastagon View Post

A found a place where I can get the P65S60 $500 cheaper than anywhere else at the moment. Hard not to at least give it a whirl... and now to rent a large moving van... smile.gif

Mind if I know where?
KOF is online now  
Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hold on to your butts. Barring any unforseen consequences, I'll be picking up the P65S60 tomorrow so I can decide which will remain my main set.

I will use my limited knowledge and skills to provide reviews of both.
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Member
 
jasondjulian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73

Any updates?


Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
jasondjulian is offline  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mastagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post

Any updates?

Hey,

I went to check out the TV yesterday. Played around with it in the store for about an hour, but I didn't pick it up because there was some mild image retention on one side of the screen. The service tool on the TV says it only has 45 hours on it. From my understand in talking to other people afterwards, if I ran screen wipes on it for a few hours this would disappear.

Even though I only sought under store lighting, I got to play on my own content on it Which helped me compared better to the one I have at home. And I can save it to my eyes the S60 is a better TV than the F5500, but it's closer than most people would think. With that said, I have to justify the cost, as there is a nearly $800 difference between what I have and the p65s60. That seems like a lot of money to spend for another 5 inches and a moderately better screen. I might just consider going to the S60 instead. Hard to say. If I could convince the retailer to knock some money off For the IR, Even if from a technical standpoint it may not be permanent damage, that would make things easier.
Mastagon is offline  
Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Member
 
jasondjulian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73

Yeah, $800 is a lot to spend.. I can see your dilemma.  


Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
jasondjulian is offline  
Old 03-01-2014, 03:03 AM
Senior Member
 
aman74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

Both are quality displays so you have to decide based on what you want the most from a display.

The S60 has 700 lines of motion resolution with phosphor trailing and extra dithering. The F5500 has 800 lines of motion resolution without adverse effect, so the F5500 would have been a clear winner even without taking lines of motion resolution into consideration. The F5500 is better with false contouring meaning less line bleeding. Do you find any on your current F5500? But the F5500 also has brightness pop, which IMO is worse than line bleeding and dithering conbined. So, it's more about making a choice between contrast ratio and motion performance. The rest is wash as both displays have different weaknesses. The F5500 is known to handle ABLs better, but I felt the S60's superior black performance does a wonderful job covering its otherwise abysmal ABL, so they're closer in that regard. I normally don't go for eye candy over motion performance, but the S60 does look so good I let it slide.

Not sure how you're using ABL here? On one had you were saying the Sammy has pops and on the other saying it handles ABL better? I thought when discussing ABL issues it was referring to the brightness fluctuations?

To the OP:

-I don't think the S60 is significantly different in regards to reflectivity...it has no filter. I have the S64 which does, but since you can control the light it would probably be better to not have the filter as I think it's what's giving me a bit of DSE.

-Mine buzzes a bit, but doesn't bother me at this point and isn't audible most of the time, unless in a quite scene or really listening for it. I'm usually very annoyed by this kind of thing and it was my biggest worry and it's not much of an issue, at least on this set.

-Motion handling is my biggest complaint, but I'm not talking about resolution loss or judder. I only see judder once in awhile and could live with that. My issue is even on slow moving content like a human head...there's a slight blurring or doubling going on all the time. I'm probably going to wait for the new Samsungs and sell this one because of this issue and...

-Burn-In. Not sure if mine is permanent or not. I could turn on my Roku for a minute and turn it off and there's IR every time. Not sure if that's normal or not, but it goes away immediately. However, I watched ESPN for a few hours and The History Channel and have retention that isn't going away for a couple weeks now. So I can't watch anything with a logo in the corner....makes for a pretty worthless TV.

-Mine is pretty noisy dithering wise. Not sure how people aren't seeing this.

-Picture is a bit mottled and color a bit off when the scenes are darker at times. This is more prevalent with streaming material.

-Posterization is high with streaming material. Not much of a problem with Blu-Ray.

-When everything is right, the picture is really fantastic, but the downsides are piling up for me. The motion and burn-in being the deal-breakers...the two last things I was actually worried about when making the purchase.

Maybe I got a dud?
aman74 is offline  
Old 03-01-2014, 04:07 AM
KOF
Advanced Member
 
KOF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post

Not sure how you're using ABL here? On one had you were saying the Sammy has pops and on the other saying it handles ABL better? I thought when discussing ABL issues it was referring to the brightness fluctuations?

To the OP:

-I don't think the S60 is significantly different in regards to reflectivity...it has no filter. I have the S64 which does, but since you can control the light it would probably be better to not have the filter as I think it's what's giving me a bit of DSE.

-Mine buzzes a bit, but doesn't bother me at this point and isn't audible most of the time, unless in a quite scene or really listening for it. I'm usually very annoyed by this kind of thing and it was my biggest worry and it's not much of an issue, at least on this set.

-Motion handling is my biggest complaint, but I'm not talking about resolution loss or judder. I only see judder once in awhile and could live with that. My issue is even on slow moving content like a human head...there's a slight blurring or doubling going on all the time. I'm probably going to wait for the new Samsungs and sell this one because of this issue and...

-Burn-In. Not sure if mine is permanent or not. I could turn on my Roku for a minute and turn it off and there's IR every time. Not sure if that's normal or not, but it goes away immediately. However, I watched ESPN for a few hours and The History Channel and have retention that isn't going away for a couple weeks now. So I can't watch anything with a logo in the corner....makes for a pretty worthless TV.

-Mine is pretty noisy dithering wise. Not sure how people aren't seeing this.

-Picture is a bit mottled and color a bit off when the scenes are darker at times. This is more prevalent with streaming material.

-Posterization is high with streaming material. Not much of a problem with Blu-Ray.

-When everything is right, the picture is really fantastic, but the downsides are piling up for me. The motion and burn-in being the deal-breakers...the two last things I was actually worried about when making the purchase.

Maybe I got a dud?

Both are types of brightness fluctuations, but brightness pop is worse because of its unpredictability. It was rare, but I did see brightness pop a couple of times when I had my LG plasma, and it definitely was nowhere near mild as a typical ABL behaviour. My Panasonic S60's ABL is ramping gently, the pop on my LG plasma was not. The brightness change was more abrupt and more akin to auto dimming those Samsung/Sony LCDs have. (and I'll gladly take plasma's ABL over Samsung ES8000's auto dimming) Frankly, I haven't seen one on the F5500 yet, but those that have seen it seem to detest it.

Motion blur is my biggest issue too. The actual dithering on mine is nowhere near as bad as the ones in the store, however, it rears its ugly head whenever there are fast motions going on. Both Panasonic VT60/ZT60 and the Samsung F8500 have same motion resolution as the S60, yet they actually feel smoother because they're a lot less noisy when in motion. If I could get rid of phosphor trailing and dithering when in motion, I could deal with its motion resolution.

As for IR, no big deal on mine. It's a bit more delicate than the previous LG plasma I had, but they also go away so fast I don't really care. I do constant 4:3 gaming and PC use and whatever IRs pile up, I just run slides and call it a day.

So, my biggest beef with this display is motion performance followed by ABL. Its biggest asset is black, so I feel I made the right choice. Its black performance alone corrects so many problems this TV has.
KOF is online now  
 

Tags
Samsung Pn60f5500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un46f5500 46 Inch Class Smart Tv Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off