Samsung F8500 Owners - Do You Experience Floating Blacks? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do You or Have You Ever Seen Floating Blacks on an F8500?
Yes, I see floating blacks and I am using the current firmware version. I would say that they can occur several times during the course of a typical film or TV show. 1 3.23%
Yes, I see floating blacks and I am using the current firmware version. I would say that they only occur in very rare cases; perhaps once or twice during the course of a typical film at most. 0 0%
Yes, I see floating blacks but I have not yet updated to the current firmware version. 1 3.23%
No, I used to see floating blacks, but it is clear that they have since been fixed due to a firmware update or other reason (please explain). 2 6.45%
No, I have never seen floating blacks, but I haven't gone to the trouble to seek them out. 13 41.94%
No, I have never seen floating blacks, and I have performed testing in an effort to seek them out, and they're simply not there to any noticeable degree. 14 45.16%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #61 of 69 Old 08-19-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I doubt Samsung will do anything more to resolve the issue. The higher blacks are likely to stay to compensate for the pops and floating blacks. With the F8500 being discontinued, no more sources will be allocated to solve a problem Samsung now deems "fixed". Sure we will still get FW updates, but those will probably be for the smarthub. Probably why the new F8500's come with FW1200, and no updates from 1120 to 1200 have been sent to the older F8500's. The new FW likely had no upgrades of anything useful for the F8500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 08-19-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
The good news is that the floating black problem with the 8500 has by and large been eliminated. The bad news is that the PQ of the set is no longer what it quite was.

If you look at how well it still stacks up against the current competition, however, it is by no means a featherweight.

What really puzzles me is how/why the issue is supposedly non-existent on the H5000 but could not be totally fixed with firmware on the 8500.
My guess is floating blacks do exist in the H5000, but that is a different panel which uses pentile matrix (ugh). If cost isn't a factor, I would still rather have the F8500 or 51"/64" F5300.

post #63 of 69 Old 08-19-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
The good news is that the floating black problem with the 8500 has by and large been eliminated. The bad news is that the PQ of the set is no longer what it quite was.

If you look at how well it still stacks up against the current competition, however, it is by no means a featherweight.

What really puzzles me is how/why the issue is supposedly non-existent on the H5000 but could not be totally fixed with firmware on the 8500.
let's not get too carried away here spreading this around...

if the fw did in fact do this, it did it 6, 7, maybe even as much as 14 months ago. we've been promised a solution to floating blacks since about fw 1008. what's my point? my point is we've been living with the 'decreased' pq for as much as a year already. for most ppl the 'decreased' quality is all they've ever known, and was still plenty good enough to persuade them to buy the display.

so let's not start too much of a fuss just because d-nice 'confirmed' a fw change that happened a long time ago. if this wasn't a huge deal 6months ago, there's no reason it should be a huge deal now...
losservatore likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #64 of 69 Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 69
And even with the changes the son of a gun is still the 2014 shoot out champ.
fierce_gt likes this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #65 of 69 Old 08-19-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
And even with the changes the son of a gun is still the 2014 shoot out champ.
It is a good tv, and I own it, but D-Nice did say in the shootout thread, that it was not even close to OLED when it came to blacks and contrast, which to me are the most important. I would like to see where the experts placed it, and not the general audience poll.
post #66 of 69 Old 08-19-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
It is a good tv, and I own it, but D-Nice did say in the shootout thread, that it was not even close to OLED when it came to blacks and contrast, which to me are the most important. I would like to see where the experts placed it, and not the general audience poll.
yup, and that's awesome to hear.

if something that's been considered 'excellent' can be trounced that badly, makes me excited for oled!

the thing is though, oled doesn't make the f8500 any worse. it's the same tv it was before the shootout. that comment should be taken as a knock against the f8500, but as a strong recommendation to the oled technology

from what I've been hearing, and putting my own weighting on the calibrator's comments/selection vs the general public, I feel like the f8500 is solidly in third place this year, behind both oleds.

even looking at what each tv was good at in the posted results, the oleds did way better in blacks and contrast. I've honestly never seen a tv that had color that annoyed me(so I personally find that of less importance), and I honestly feel like the f8500 has pretty terrible motion resolution anyway, so again, the fact it 'won' that category doesn't impress me so much.

I'm very glad I own the f8500, I fully believe it's going to last me until I WANT to buy a new tv(which will most definitely be oled I hope) but it's just reassuring to see a new tech that can actually beat plasma. there was definitely a few months where I think we we're all checking to see if we could fit a spare tv or two in our closets so we never had to watch movies on edgelit led/lcds
wxman likes this.

post #67 of 69 Old 08-21-2014, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
My guess is that they built in the fix learned from the F8500 into the H5000 unless they changed the Panel driving technology which is doubtful. No doubt the F8500 stands well above the rest of the competition excluding OLED.
H5000 measures lower blacks (.0016fL) than F8500 post firmware (.0025fL).
post #68 of 69 Old 08-21-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hasn't Chad B stated that he's measured some post-FW F8500s that boasted the MLL and luminance performance of the original panels? If that's true, it doesn't sound like the variance is totally firmware related.

Has anyone taken measurements before and after a firmware update? Hard evidence as to exactly what's going on seems to be scarce...
post #69 of 69 Old 08-21-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 View Post
Hasn't Chad B stated that he's measured some post-FW F8500s that boasted the MLL and luminance performance of the original panels? If that's true, it doesn't sound like the variance is totally firmware related.

Has anyone taken measurements before and after a firmware update? Hard evidence as to exactly what's going on seems to be scarce...
I know back in june, or last year, there was a fw that had a lot of ppl complaining about higher blacks and a dimmer image. I was a little scared to do it and put it off until I'd heard several ppl who said it looked fine afterwards.

for my own interest, I set up my camera and took before/after shots using the same settings. what I saw was identical before and after. definitely not super accurate, but technically scientific, haha.

then again, there's been about 7 fw updates since then where ppl have made similar claims, and I've noticed no change again. so I don't even really know which fw exactly we should be talking about.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page