Plasma all phased out in local stores R.I.P. I will miss you - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Had the day off from work and decided to see what deals the local stores had on TVs. Well I really only have 3 options BB, Costco and Sears. To my surprise BB had not one plasma and to make things worse the dude in the blue shirt told me "they" stopped making plasmas in 2013 (because they are not as efficient as LCD\LED, problems with burn-in, and people just prefer LCD\LED) and I could only get a LCD\LED. I had to laugh. It makes me sad to see all these people who get misinformed and misguided into making a major purchase like a new TV. Its a sad sad day...
gus738 likes this.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 06:29 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

Had the day off from work and decided to see what deals the local stores had on TVs. Well I really only have 3 options BB, Costco and Sears. To my surprise BB had not one plasma and to make things worse the dude in the blue shirt told me "they" stopped making plasmas in 2013........

Well the Blue Shirt is partially correct . . . .

LG is still going to make Plasmas in 2014, and Samsung is supposedly going to extend production of their current Plasma models until around summer time, then decide if they'll continue making them or not.

Panasonic however made their last Plasmas two months ago (around Dec 1st) and are no longer in the Plasma making business.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #3 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Well the Blue Shirt is partially correct . . . .

LG is still going to make Plasmas in 2014, and Samsung is supposedly going to extend production of their current Plasma models until around summer time, then decide if they'll continue making them or not.

Panasonic however made their last Plasmas two months ago (around Dec 1st) and are no longer in the Plasma making business.

So plasma's are still being made in 2014 then which makes his comment completely incorrect. Tv salsemen, i'm sure there are some good ones out there but every one I come across makes me shudder.

post #4 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25

I can understand why the general public doesn't typically buy plasmas. Going into a brightly lit store, the plasmas look like something is wrong with the display because they are so comparatively dim. Only when you concentrate on a plasma and check out viewing angles and the lifelike colors do you start getting an idea that there is something special about plasmas, especially dollar for dollar compared to LCDs.

It doesn't matter, though. Folks happily get the brighter LCD in their price range and never know what they're missing. I'll be surprised if Samsung and LG continue making plasmas more than a couple of years. I hope I'm wrong.

gus738 likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post

I can understand why the general public doesn't typically buy plasmas. Going into a brightly lit store, the plasmas look like something is wrong with the display because they are so comparatively dim. Only when you concentrate on a plasma and check out viewing angles and the lifelike colors do you start getting an idea that there is something special about plasmas, especially dollar for dollar compared to LCDs.

It doesn't matter, though. Folks happily get the brighter LCD in their price range and never know what they're missing. I'll be surprised if Samsung and LG continue making plasmas more than a couple of years. I hope I'm wrong.

In a couple years plasma will hopefully be dead as OLED will have replaced it. smile.gif

post #6 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 07:05 PM

Liked: 18
What's with the hate? Everyone knows plasmas rule. The people that don't know also probably pay sticker price for a car, and take vacations on cruise ships. Lol
gus738 likes this.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post

What's with the hate? Everyone knows plasmas rule. The people that don't know also probably pay sticker price for a car, and take vacations on cruise ships. Lol
What's with the hate for other people's different circumstances, objectives and preferences?
FilmReverie likes this.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not
post #8 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

What's with the hate for other people's different circumstances, objectives and preferences?

What is it that makes me smile.gif when reading this with your sig. tongue.gif
gus738 likes this.

post #9 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My signature is about proper English, nothing else.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not
post #10 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 07:55 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:

Of course not everyone cares what a product looks like in a showroom before buying a product. Some do, some don't. When I went to BB to buy my VT60 I didn't even bother to look at it hanging on the wall. I already knew what I want and just told the salesperson to find me one and to ring me up. When I've bought cars recently I already knew what I wanted and I didn't ask the salesperson any questions about the car (nor care much what he said, because whatever he said wouldn't be in the contract anyway).
gus738 likes this.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-06-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

Of course not everyone cares what a product looks like in a showroom before buying a product. Some do, some don't. When I went to BB to buy my VT60 I didn't even bother to look at it hanging on the wall. I already knew what I want and just told the salesperson to find me one and to ring me up. When I've bought cars recently I already knew what I wanted and I didn't ask the salesperson any questions about the car (nor care much what he said, because whatever he said wouldn't be in the contract anyway).

If you knew your specific requirements for a new display, why bother going to a shop?

When I purchased my GT50 a year ago, I just ordered it from Amazon. That worked quite well. wink.gif
post #12 of 18 Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

Of course not everyone cares what a product looks like in a showroom before buying a product. Some do, some don't. . . .

You're the exception to the rule. Most people care what it looks like in the showroom and that accounts, at least in part, for the great popularity of LCD/LEDs over Plasmas. In my day-to-day conversations with friends, almost all have said that they didn't research the TV they bought. They went to showrooms and picked the one they liked best at a price they felt comfortable paying.

gus738 likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-06-2014, 09:05 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

You're the exception to the rule. Most people care what it looks like in the showroom and that accounts, at least in part, for the great popularity of LCD/LEDs over Plasmas. In my day-to-day conversations with friends, almost all have said that they didn't research the TV they bought. They went to showrooms and picked the one they liked best at a price they felt comfortable paying.

I would think that is 90 percent of the tv buying public
post #14 of 18 Old 02-06-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Well, as a counterpoint, i did extensively research my TV purchase almost two years ago and decided to go for a Panny plasma.

As of last month, I'm not longer using a plasma anymore. My TV developed a flaw due to the way it was engineered (see a bunch of other people having the same problem), I was wholly unsatisfied with the way Panasonic was handling support of the issue, and saw evidence in the current generation that the flaw may have only been haphazardly addressed at the last minute. On top of that, I DID butt heads constantly with IR on the TV as well as noticing line bleed on a semi-frequent basis.

I could have gotten a closeout VT60 somewhere or I could have downsized to the 51" F8500, but I finally came to a realization that plasma just wasn't for me. When I got to the point where I was meticulously planning my TV watching schedule to vary the network bugs as much as possible or forcing myself to watch content zoomed in to avoid them altogether, I discovered that the TV was becoming a source of stress when all I really wanted to do was sit down and watch it.

There's no such thing as a perfect display. At this point I would gladly trade viewing angles and dark room black levels for no more IR worries nor line bleed while watching cartoons. I loved the way my ST50 looked in a dark room playing a blu-rays, but I don't miss its flaws.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-06-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

Well, as a counterpoint, i did extensively research my TV purchase almost two years ago and decided to go for a Panny plasma.

As of last month, I'm not longer using a plasma anymore. My TV developed a flaw due to the way it was engineered (see a bunch of other people having the same problem), I was wholly unsatisfied with the way Panasonic was handling support of the issue, and saw evidence in the current generation that the flaw may have only been haphazardly addressed at the last minute. On top of that, I DID butt heads constantly with IR on the TV as well as noticing line bleed on a semi-frequent basis.

I could have gotten a closeout VT60 somewhere or I could have downsized to the 51" F8500, but I finally came to a realization that plasma just wasn't for me. When I got to the point where I was meticulously planning my TV watching schedule to vary the network bugs as much as possible or forcing myself to watch content zoomed in to avoid them altogether, I discovered that the TV was becoming a source of stress when all I really wanted to do was sit down and watch it.

There's no such thing as a perfect display. At this point I would gladly trade viewing angles and dark room black levels for no more IR worries nor line bleed while watching cartoons. I loved the way my ST50 looked in a dark room playing a blu-rays, but I don't miss its flaws.

Line bleed and IR has never been a real issue on my S60 for me. From what I've read, these issues seem to be exasperated on 3D pdp's.

Ian
gus738 likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #16 of 18 Old 02-06-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Line bleed and IR has never been a real issue on my S60 for me. From what I've read, these issues seem to be exasperated on 3D pdp's.

Ian

I second this, no problem with my GT50 as well, would never trade it for horrible viewing angles, clouding, poor black levels etc. Until LCD' s can overcome these problems, I ain't interested. Although the claims of the new 2014 Panny LCD being on par with black levels with the ZT60 has me curious.
gus738 and rushfan2112 like this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #17 of 18 Old 03-02-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
+3 out of my 3 plasma panny(2007) pioneer elite pro-111 (2008) and samsung pn60f5350(2014) i rarely had ir on pany during the 1st month. Never saw ir on my elite and only once i saw faint 4:3 when my niece was using samsung one night. and i never trade for a lcd thus my 2014 plasma samsung purchase,

(2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

I second this, no problem with my GT50 as well, would never trade it for horrible viewing angles, clouding, poor black levels etc. Until LCD' s can overcome these problems, I ain't interested. Although the claims of the new 2014 Panny LCD being on par with black levels with the ZT60 has me curious.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #18 of 18 Old 03-09-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Panasonic to sell plasma TV panel factory site
Panasonic Corp. is considering selling the former site of its plasma television panel development plant in Osaka, as the electronics maker has decided to withdraw from the plasma TV business, Kyodo News reported, citing sources close to the matter.

The company may consider renting out part of the 120,000-square-meter site to Yamato Transport Co. The city of Ibaraki, where the facility is located, is also showing interest in acquiring the land, they said.
wsj.com
read more:
http://global.ofweek.com/news/Panasonic-to-sell-plasma-TV-panel-factory-site-8040
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality
Too bad they made some terrific sets I saw a ZT65 at BB/magnolia recently to say the picture was good would be an understatement probably the best picture I've ever seen anyway
although some of the newer high end 2K/4K LED/LCD were pretty good

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Plasma Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page