Funny Experience With Panny Pixel Orbiter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: Did you know that this could happen when in the menu like it did to me?
Yup 0 0%
Nope 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Old 02-07-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I created this account to post a thread here about my screen being cut off and I could not figure out why.  Luckily I just worked out the situation and thought I would still share it with you guys.  I'm sure many of you can guess where this is going from the title...

My new Wii U has the usual TV setup mode where you make sure the image goes all the way to the screen edges and you can scale it if not.  I noticed the left side was cut off by a few pixel columns and got worried since the right side was fine.  I went into the TV menu for aspects adjustments and screwed around.  Nothing seemed to fix it, but by the time I was done it was now the right side that was cut of by a few columns.  I was thinking to myself that I had a serious problem if the image would shift within a few minute span.

I went back the TV menu and found that as I moved the aspect choice through its options, my screen would shift around.  By this I mean I would cycle from the FULL setting through the 4 options, and when I looped back around to FULL again, the edges were cut off differently.  It would go from cut off a lot on the right side, to only a little bit on the right side, then fine, then cutoff a little on the left, then a lot on the left.  Rinse and repeat.  WTF!!!

I was flabbergasted and thinking my TV has a serious main board issue.  Some value must have been glitching and floating around when menu prompts are activated.  I was remembering my warranty period was up and thinking I would need to buy a new board to fix this.  Googling around yielded no similar problem like mine.  I was stumped and annoyed.  I created this account to post my issue and find answers, but just as I reached the forum I remembered ...  "Pixel Orbiter"  from the TV options.  I had set it to ON years ago when I bought the TV and forgot about it.  At the time I thought it was orbiting individual pixels or screen sections or doing something on a very small scale to reduce burn in.  It didn't occur to me that I could be shifting the whole screen.  It was and I was fooled.

I'm sure some of the less forgiving of you are reading this thinking "WOW what a dummy..  Know your hardware...  Yadda Yadda"  I don't blame you.  I find it very interesting that the menu choice cycling made the orbiter reset its position though.  If you have a Panny plasma you should try it out for yourself.  You can watch as the image shifts and cuts off a side, then the top, then the other side, then the bottom and so forth.  Then turn off orbiter and leave it that way.  I hate it.

BTW - 50 inch Panasonic GT30

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
I'm curious how you thought it was going to work... haha

I agree, it's not something I ever really thought about, but after reading your post, it seems pretty obvious. I mean it can't physically shift pixels, and it doesn't make any sense to shift pixels on just one part of the screen. the only option left is to shift the entire image a few pixels, and the only way to do that is to crop off a few from the edges.

btw, I've always left pixel orbiter off. I don't see how it could possible prevent IR, there's very few images on screen less than 4pixels thick, and that's the maximum 'shift' I've seen possible. in short, it won't prevent IR, it will just make the IR that happens blurry tongue.gif

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60gt30 by