P65S60 Image Retention - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2014, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay,

I went to check out a floor model Panasonic P65S60 today and I ran it through the paces of a few videos and benchmark tests (thanks to http://www.tvblink.com for that) and I noticed that it has what looks like image retention from a store demo video. I ran the service menu and found out that its only been powered on 20 times and seen 48 hours of use.

I know this is very low usage, so I was wondering if running screen wipes for a few hours would clear it up? I wasn't able to take a picture of the screen, but the ghost images are soft and only show up strongly on a light or solid white background (I didn't notice them when playing any content.)

I'd really like your help with this, because if this can be fixed the TV is an amazing deal.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastagon View Post

Okay,
(I didn't notice them when playing any content.)

Then there is nothing wrong and nothing to be "fixed".

Tony
Old 02-08-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 969
my guess is that 48hrs of use would not be enough to cause any permanent damage. if you saw IR and it's been used for 400hrs, then I'd worry that it'd be permanent.

if you really want to be cautious, why not ask them to run the slides or a screen wipe for a couple hours and see if it clears up? I've never had IR that didn't get cleared after just a few minutes of that, so I'd think a couple hours would let you know for sure.
gus738 and Mastagon like this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

my guess is that 48hrs of use would not be enough to cause any permanent damage. if you saw IR and it's been used for 400hrs, then I'd worry that it'd be permanent.

if you really want to be cautious, why not ask them to run the slides or a screen wipe for a couple hours and see if it clears up? I've never had IR that didn't get cleared after just a few minutes of that, so I'd think a couple hours would let you know for sure.

I had considered this as well, It's just that I know so little bit plasma image retention that I wasn't comfortable making a decision at the time. Also, the unit was apparently a return and has not been powered on for six-eight weeks. Would it image still be retained after that.? Or does time powered off not play effect this?

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P65s60 by PriceGrabber.com