Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 336 Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcrossl View Post
I really don't know much at all about calibration settings other than digging through these forums. I don't ever plan to post my settings as a suggestion to anyone.
I am a noob w/ an addiction to this forum and my new plasma.
I just noticed for the first time that during a dark scene there wasn't much definition between the dark part of the room and a dark jacket. It was pretty much all blended together. I'll try playing w/ the gamma and contrast/cell light in that scene.
Note: I already have cell light at 19 out of 20.
HAHA I’m on the same boat man - glad to know I’m not the only newbie in this place
ejcrossl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 336 Old 08-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm thinking about pulling trigger on the H5000...

Hoping someone here knows if this screen (60" H5000) is much the same as the 64" that's been discussed in this thread. Except for the size of course. It's the only one available where I am. I assume it'll be pretty much the same but I'm not exactly an expert, so comparing them side-by-side is tricky.
post #273 of 336 Old 08-26-2014, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My local Frys finally got one in this morning, so I pulled the trigger at $1097! Didn't get to play with it much tonight, but was able to plug in a usb with a couple of 1080p videos and was impressed with what I saw. Can't wait to play with the set more tomorrow.
dfc76 likes this.
post #274 of 336 Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 AM

Smile Very pleased

Just received my new PN64H5000 yesterday. Was a snap to set up and didn't even have to program my DirectTV remote as my 6 year old 52" LCD, which I moved to master bedroom, is also a Samsung. Changed to cell light setting to 18 as suggested and picture is flawless for watching sports, including baseball and tennis. Only negative is that the speakers are not as good as my older LCD Sammy but I hope to connect to my Blue Ray speakers shortly.

Stole this puppy on Amazon for $1100 (individual resale) with no tax and white glove delivery although I had to help out!

dfc76 likes this.

Last edited by nvlystd; 08-27-2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Include more detailed information
post #275 of 336 Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvlystd View Post
Just received my new PN64H5000 yesterday. Was a snap to set up and didn't even have to program my DirectTV remote as my 6 year old 52" LCD, which I moved to master bedroom, is also a Samsung. Changed to cell light setting to 18 as suggested and picture is flawless for watching sports, including baseball and tennis. Only negative is that the speakers are not as good as my older LCD Sammy but I hope to connect to my Blue Ray speakers shortly.

Stole this puppy on Amazon for $1100 (individual resale) with no tax and white glove delivery although I had to help out!

Congrats!!! That's a nice TV and quite understated here due to the Pentile display. I saw this TV at Frys Electronics and after anaylizing it over and over for an hour I can see this TV as a great bang for the buck.
Odd that you were suppose to have white glove delivery but had to help out? That shouldn't have happened. The delivery company should make sure enough people go on the delivery to handle the whole thing themselves. What would they do if they were delivering to a disabled person or senior citizen who isn't capable of helping?

You mentioned Blue-ray speakers? Did you mean Bluetooth speakers?
post #276 of 336 Old 08-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Odd that you were suppose to have white glove delivery but had to help out? That shouldn't have happened. The delivery company should make sure enough people go on the delivery to handle the whole thing themselves
For me, the delivery people brought the TV box in the house, put it in the hallway and asked, "Is this good?" I said, "Yeah, that's fine," and they tried to leave! I had to tell them no, you have to install it. Then after they did, they tried to leave the packing material... They also only stayed long enough for me to see the Samsung logo on the screen. I asked if I could connect my DVR so I can actually see the picture, and they said that's not part of their service, and they left. :/
post #277 of 336 Old 08-27-2014, 01:42 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotml View Post
I'm thinking about pulling trigger on the H5000...

Hoping someone here knows if this screen (60" H5000) is much the same as the 64" that's been discussed in this thread. Except for the size of course. It's the only one available where I am. I assume it'll be pretty much the same but I'm not exactly an expert, so comparing them side-by-side is tricky.
Yes it is. He had one purchased from China and confirmed it has the same picture as the American 64 inches H5000. (pentile array and everything)

http://dvdprime.donga.com/bbs/view.a...2490977&page=1

If you want a few pictures, here you go.

Oh, and one more thing. The 60 inches H5000 sold in both your country and China lack Cal Day/Night setting that the American H5000 has. But you probably know that already. Cal Day/Night setting is NA exclusive feature and in the NA Samsung F8500's case, changing local settings to anywhere but NA makes it lose the setting.
dfc76 likes this.

Last edited by KOF; 08-27-2014 at 01:48 PM.
post #278 of 336 Old 08-27-2014, 02:11 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post
Yes it is. He had one purchased from China and confirmed it has the same picture as the American 64 inches H5000. (pentile array and everything)

http://dvdprime.donga.com/bbs/view.a...2490977&page=1

If you want a few pictures, here you go.

Oh, and one more thing. The 60 inches H5000 sold in both your country and China lack Cal Day/Night setting that the American H5000 has. But you probably know that already. Cal Day/Night setting is NA exclusive feature and in the NA Samsung F8500's case, changing local settings to anywhere but NA makes it lose the setting.
Thanks for that. Are those settings just preset configs?

(btw link is dead)
post #279 of 336 Old 08-27-2014, 04:02 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotml View Post
Thanks for that. Are those settings just preset configs?

(btw link is dead)
No, they are for scientific calibrations. Read David Mackenzie's H5000 review for more detail on Cal Day/Night. Unfortunately for the H5000, some settings are shared between Day and Night, thus it's not possible to create optimal calibrations for both settings separately. Something has to give.

Link works find for me. Hmm.. wonder what's the problem.
post #280 of 336 Old 08-27-2014, 05:11 PM

Liked: 14
The TV seems to wobble back and forth fairly easy, is this normal or should I re-install the stand?
post #281 of 336 Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 AM

Red face Wobble

The swivel stand doesn't seem as sturdy as my old 52" LCD Sammy so you've got to be gentle when adjusting location on stand.

However the viewing angle on the PN64H5000 is better than on my older LCD.

post #282 of 336 Old 08-28-2014, 08:04 AM

I should have said Blu-Ray speaker system.

I tried connecting myself before DirectTV comes on Saturday to upgrade HD receivers to a Genie system to no avail. Accessed the menu screen for using external speaker system but got no volume. I was able to get a better internal speaker level by changing to the Movie sound selection on the menu instead of the factory preset. Also lowered the cell light level to 10 from 18.

post #283 of 336 Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvlystd View Post
Also lowered the cell light level to 10 from 18.
I REALLY wish someone more knowledgeable than I am would post some calibration stuff... People really need to start buying this set! LOL
dfc76 likes this.
post #284 of 336 Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezmid View Post
For me, the delivery people brought the TV box in the house, put it in the hallway and asked, "Is this good?" I said, "Yeah, that's fine," and they tried to leave! I had to tell them no, you have to install it. Then after they did, they tried to leave the packing material... They also only stayed long enough for me to see the Samsung logo on the screen. I asked if I could connect my DVR so I can actually see the picture, and they said that's not part of their service, and they left. :/
Yeah, that seems to be what is considered "White Glove Delivery". Bring it in the house, plug it up and hit the power button. If the screen is fine and cabinet isn't damaged then they ask you to sign and move on. Personally I would prefer to keep my packing material. Best Buy did the same thing to me. They were delivering my $800 TV stand the same day as my F8500. They brought the stand in my house and laid it on the floor, asked me to sign and they took off.
You mentioned that they installed it? What all did they do?

On a side note, I'm so disappointed in what we as consumers get for our money these days. I used to sell TV's for 10 years and any TV 27" and over was free delivery and setup. We delivered the TV and placed it anywhere in the house. If it had a connecting stand to it our delivery guys would install it. Then our delivery guys plugged up the cable, programmed the channels, check for any issues and gave the customer a brief understand on how to use the TV. Then they would take away the packaging leaving the customer all set to go.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #285 of 336 Old 08-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
You mentioned that they installed it? What all did they do?
After pushing them to not just leave everything in the hallway, they ended up screwing in the TV stand to the TV, then putting in in my living room where I wanted it and then turning it on. I wouldn't have been able to do it myself, so it was helpful. I just wish I could've connected my DVR to it before they ran off, just to make sure I had a real picture instead of just a Samsung logo, but it all worked out. However it looks like I do have one bad pixel on the set... I can see it when I'm close up, but when I'm 5 feet away, it blends in so it's not terrible I guess. First set I've had with a bad pixel though.

As for the materials -- Amazon says that if there's an issue with the TV, they send new packing materials with the people who pick it up, so no real need.
post #286 of 336 Old 08-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
After pushing them to not just leave everything in the hallway, they ended up screwing in the TV stand to the TV, then putting in in my living room where I wanted it and then turning it on. I wouldn't have been able to do it myself, so it was helpful. I just wish I could've connected my DVR to it before they ran off, just to make sure I had a real picture instead of just a Samsung logo, but it all worked out. However it looks like I do have one bad pixel on the set... I can see it when I'm close up, but when I'm 5 feet away, it blends in so it's not terrible I guess. First set I've had with a bad pixel though.

As for the materials -- Amazon says that if there's an issue with the TV, they send new packing materials with the people who pick it up, so no real need.
Well that's great in terms of Amazon taking care of the customer in regards to packing and they connected your stand, that's really great! That's unfortunate about the stuck pixel. It's much more common on an LCD vs. a Plasma however. If you're still within your exchange period you could have Amazon ship you another set, but only if it bothers you. I'm only recommending that because in a short time it will be difficult to get a panel replacement under warranty.
post #287 of 336 Old 08-28-2014, 03:41 PM

After going thru about 7 LED screens of various sizes from 40 to 60”, smarts and none (all Sammys). I completely disliked its picture output and ultimately had to return them to its original store (wifey still doesn’t understand). I wish I could go into details about the horrible picture quality and the Opera effect but this is a Plasma forum and for now I’ll stick to that.

After reading plasma was going away I assume it was because LED was better, certainly not the case!
So I opt to buy the 43 inch plasma version for the master bedroom, after seeing the HUGE difference between tiny led onto the big picture of King-PLASMA I went ahead and bought this unit from Sears @ $850 w/free delivery (no set up) a few weeks back. Went from one of the first 42 inch plasmas to this monster! Yea it is non-smart and or 3D but its screen performance is awesome. I highly recommend even at the $1200 price. I have a huge living room (one of them open two story homes) and the sound quality in it sounds ok.

I do have one major concern and or question … after installing the unit myself I was getting this SNOW-Effect in the picture, as the picture ran picture would display “light” pixels on random sections of the screen and about ever 2 or 3 seconds (both various movies and under air television), snow never fell on the same spot.
I try to “calibrate” but in the end I just think it went away all by itself (no more of that, displaying awesome blacks).

Did anyone get this “snow/light pixel” effect within the first few hours (days) of powering the unit and should I be concerned at all? Any guidance and or comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
David

Last edited by dfc76; 08-28-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: signature
post #288 of 336 Old 08-28-2014, 05:07 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc76 View Post
After going thru about 7 LED screens of various sizes from 40 to 60”, smarts and none (all Sammys). I completely disliked its picture output and ultimately had to return them to its original store (wifey still doesn’t understand). I wish I could go into details about the horrible picture quality and the Opera effect but this is a Plasma forum and for now I’ll stick to that.

After reading plasma was going away I assume it was because LED was better, certainly not the case!
So I opt to buy the 43 inch plasma version for the master bedroom, after seeing the HUGE difference between tiny led onto the big picture of King-PLASMA I went ahead and bought this unit from Sears @ $850 w/free delivery (no set up) a few weeks back. Went from one of the first 42 inch plasmas to this monster! Yea it is non-smart and or 3D but its screen performance is awesome. I highly recommend even at the $1200 price. I have a huge living room (one of them open two story homes) and the sound quality in it sounds ok.

I do have one major concern and or question … after installing the unit myself I was getting this SNOW-Effect in the picture, as the picture ran picture would display “light” pixels on random sections of the screen and about ever 2 or 3 seconds (both various movies and under air television), snow never fell on the same spot.
I try to “calibrate” but in the end I just think it went away all by itself (no more of that, displaying awesome blacks).

Did anyone get this “snow/light pixel” effect within the first few hours (days) of powering the unit and should I be concerned at all? Any guidance and or comments will be highly appreciated.
Whoa! $850??? That's a screaming bargain for the BEST Samsung TV released in the 2014. (No, I wouldn't trade an H5000 for the $120,000 Samsung LCD if PQ was a concern. )

That snow/light pixel effect does concern me though. I've never seen it on my Panasonic plasma personally, but it could be a recurring of dancing pixels few years back...or you had an unsual case of dithering. (I heard dithering on this set is just as bad as my Panasonic S60. I was bothered with it when it was new, but I got used to it quick.)
post #289 of 336 Old 08-29-2014, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 159
^^ Sounds like you are just seeing dithering or the brightness is set too high.
post #290 of 336 Old 08-29-2014, 08:04 AM

After 3 days I've experienced no Pixel or snow effects using DIRECTV as source, watching mainly sports and CNBC! I am having difficulty connecting my Sony Blu Ray player but will have the DIRCTTV tech connect it with new Genie receivers tomorrow.

post #291 of 336 Old 08-31-2014, 11:39 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
I REALLY wish someone more knowledgeable than I am would post some calibration stuff... People really need to start buying this set! LOL
I am seriously considering this set if the price ever drops again.

FWIW here are the Consumer Reports Lab calibrations for this TV:

Picture Mode: Movie
Contrast (Picture): 100
Brightness: 46
Color: 55
Tint: G48R52
Sharpness: 0
Color Temperature: Warm2
Backlight: NA (Cell Light = 20)
Aspect Ratio: Screen Fit
Miscellaneous: Color Space = Auto, Film Mode = Auto2 (All remaining settings set to OFF, or 0)

"Our fine-tuned picture adjustments are made with the support of special test patterns and reference videos to yield best image fidelity, and a professionally calibrated reference HDTV is used for comparison".
post #292 of 336 Old 08-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo_P View Post
I am seriously considering this set if the price ever drops again.

FWIW here are the Consumer Reports Lab calibrations for this TV:

Picture Mode: Movie
Contrast (Picture): 100
Brightness: 46
Color: 55
Tint: G48R52
Sharpness: 0
Color Temperature: Warm2
Backlight: NA (Cell Light = 20)
Aspect Ratio: Screen Fit
Miscellaneous: Color Space = Auto, Film Mode = Auto2 (All remaining settings set to OFF, or 0)

"Our fine-tuned picture adjustments are made with the support of special test patterns and reference videos to yield best image fidelity, and a professionally calibrated reference HDTV is used for comparison".
Thanks for sharing! Seems that contrast and cell light are kind of high, but then again, I don't know what I'm doing... I'll have to try these values out this week and see what happens!
post #293 of 336 Old 09-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just pulled the trigger on this panel from Rakuten.com to serve as my main display until OLED prices come down to earth. This TV appears to be selling on line at most shops for ~ $1300 but Rakuten.com ($1297 with free shipping to your door-no setup) is running a promo through 9/2 where you get 10,000 ($100) Rakuten points for future use on their site. Not a bad deal relative to the competition.
dfc76 likes this.

Last edited by elockett; 09-01-2014 at 04:11 PM.
post #294 of 336 Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Placed my order on Amazon on Saturday, today the tv is sold out for 1-2 months! Glad I pulled the trigger when I did.
post #295 of 336 Old 09-03-2014, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppuno View Post
Placed my order on Amazon on Saturday, today the tv is sold out for 1-2 months! Glad I pulled the trigger when I did.
Everything about this TV is weird... From lack of supply, to lack of people buying it, I just don't understand... Oh well, I have it and it's awesome, so...
dfc76 likes this.
post #296 of 336 Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Everything about this TV is weird... From lack of supply, to lack of people buying it, I just don't understand... Oh well, I have it and it's awesome, so...
Indeed: I would have preferred buying from Amazon for their relatively quick shipping and superb customer service, but by the time I could commit to the H5000 on Sunday they were all gone (via Amazon as seller). However, so far so good with Rakuten (aka Buy.Com). They shipped my TV yesterday so if nothing else they're reasonably quick with order turnaround. I've used them in the past for occasional PC parts and they've proven to be reliable.

As for the lack of interest, apparently it's alive and well at Amazon but I can understand why it's less so in B&M stores. This past weekend, my local Micro Center had a stack of LG 60" plasmas out in the middle of the floor for $600, and one 50" displayed on their TV wall (all else LCD and surprisingly, one OLED). Similar situation at Sears: One plasma on the wall and one 60" F5300 (for more than I paid for my 64") on "clearance" on the main walkway. Like it or not, we all know LCD rules the B&M floor at present. They probably rule in online sales too.

Regardless, I'm glad I found this thread as the H5000 is exactly what I'm looking for now: Good, if not state of the art, picture quality at a relatively low price. Now I just have to figure out how to setup OTA HD via my network HD Homerun tuner and J.River Media Center before the H5000 arrives...
post #297 of 336 Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Congrats!

I've been following the H5000 on Amazon and the last time they listed it as shipping in 1-2 months it was only a few days before more were in stock. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it does come back in stock for some time in Oct. I can't order until Oct because I'm waiting on my new home and man cave to be finished. I really want to get it from Amazon due to having over $250 in credit, not to mention the extra 5% in rewards Amazon offers (using an Amazon credit card) and the great customer service.
post #298 of 336 Old 09-03-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
well Amazon has it back in stock, that was quick
post #299 of 336 Old 09-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Wink

Quote:
Damn! Well, if I could predict the future I'd be doing something else...
post #300 of 336 Old 09-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Only one left in stock. I imagine that will be gone in a few hours. Just hoping Samsung keeps making them for at least another month and Amazon keeps selling them.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 64 Inch Pn64f5300 Plasma
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page